Author Topic: Tire Changing Advice Requested  (Read 7082 times)

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
Tire Changing Advice Requested
« on: May 01, 2016, 01:00:17 PM »
NO, this isn't another tire thread.  My V7II Stone has 8000 miles on it and it needs new tires.  I already know I'm putting on Pirelli Sport Demons, I've already bought them, so there's no need to talk about that.  I'm looking for advice about the best way to remove the wheels, pry off the tires and mount the new ones.  Is there a trick to getting the wheels off?  Do I need (or is it easier) to pull off the bevel drive?  What brands of tire irons (spoons?) are good?  Do I need special stuff to insure a good rim seal?  Do I need to balance the tires?  Any other advice out there?  I should say that I'm pretty handy with tools but I have no recent experience with motorcycle tires.  Many thanks in advance for all advice, hints, and warnings.  Sam
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

oldbike54

Re: Tire Changing Advice Requested
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 01:09:55 PM »
 I prefer Metz , er , never mind  :rolleyes: There are several really good tutorials on youtube .

Dusty

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 01:40:27 PM »
I prefer Metz , er , never mind  :rolleyes: There are several really good tutorials on youtube .

Dusty
Oh, come on, Dusty, surely you could be more helpful :grin:  I already know how to find things on the web.  I'm looking for special insights from this distinguished collection of guzzisti.  With all the opinions usually flung around here, I'm certain that you all have opinions about how to properly change a tire.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 01:43:04 PM by sib »

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 01:42:20 PM »
 Hi Sib, great that you want to delve into the black art of tire mounting and balancing!! :evil: Seriously, if this is a one time thing you'll be better off removing the wheels and taking them to a local bike shop for mounting and by all means balancing them. Removal and reinstallation is pretty straight forward if you have a lift or some means to suspend the bike to do both wheels  at once  otherwise it's two trips to the shop. If you really want to learn this procedeure as Dusty said ,you tube is your friend. As far as tools, Ebay can supply you with a good set of irons for cheap. Buy the longest you can, 18" ones make it a breeze.
 A good C Clamp will help you break the beads and by all means  do it on a sunny day to help the tires be more pliable. Liquid soap mixed with water is a great tire lube,use plenty! As far as balancing, there are several inexpensive static balancers out there and they will do a good job.  Google and You Tube are great tools for learning this whole process. It's really just a series of steps that as You say, If your handy with tools you can do this.

Keep us Posted :popcorn: :boozing:
  Paul
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 01:42:20 PM »

Online Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 01:45:06 PM »
Pull off the bevel drive?
I'm pretty sure you don't have to do that on the V7II to get the wheel off.

The V7II Stone are tubeless right?
I'd let a garage to do it, myself. If you have a car, ring around for the cost of a tyre change on a loose wheel, it should be dirt cheap.

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 01:53:31 PM »
Oh, come on, Dusty, you could try to be more helpful :grin:  I already know how to find things on the web.  I'm looking for special insights from this distinguished collection of guzzisti.  With all the opinions usually flung around here, surely someone has opinions about how to properly change a tire.

OK then , here goes . First , get out the swear jar , because , well , just because .
 Seriously , tubeless tires are a breeze . Take the bike for a ride long enough to warm up the old tires. I like to start with the rear . If you don't have a bead breaker , a large c clamp will suffice . Peal off one side , the other side will be fairly easy . When installing the new tire , warm it up in the Sun until good and soft , lube it up with something , start it on , use small bites , the first side will be easy . Start the other side , compress the tire into the drop center , work around in small bites . Replace rear wheel , go for another ride to warm up the front , and repeat . Shouldn't take more than a week, how much vacation do you have ? :grin:

Dusty

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 01:55:35 PM »
Thanks for all the advice so far.  I am considering having my dealer do the job, but they're backed up until late May and I want to RIDE this month.  That's the main reason why I want to do it myself, although a second reason is to bolster my self-confidence and sense of independence (if I'm successful).

Glad to know I don't have to remove the bevel box, and thanks for the tips on long spoons, a C-clamp, and liquid soap.  I suppose an alternative to soap would be KY Jelly.  As I approach the middle of my eighth decade, I seem to have fewer other uses for the stuff  :laugh:

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 01:57:54 PM »
     What I use are two of these. The little lip helps to keep from slipping and scaring up the rims. And they are long enough to have good leverage. The bend comes in handy also at times.
   http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0007-Curved-Tire/dp/B000GZJ38O
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 02:08:31 PM »
 It really isn't hard to do Sib . Are you fairly patient ?

A couple of points , and don't ask why I bring these up . First , double and triple check the direction of rotation , and the check it again .

Balancing can be done by propping the axle on a couple of saw horses , or chairs , whatever is handy . I have learned to simply note the position of the valve stem after repeatedly spinning the wheel .

Did I mention checking the direction of rotation and location of the little red dot ?  :rolleyes:

Dusty
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 07:49:44 PM by oldbike54 »

Online Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 02:24:20 PM »

A couple of points , and don't ask why I bring these up . First , double and triple check the direction of rotation , and the check it again . Second , make sure the little red dot on the tire is opposite the valve stem , 180 degrees away .

Balancing can be done by propping the axle on a couple of saw horses , or chairs , whatever is handy . I have learned to simply note the position of the valve stem after repeatedly spinning the wheel .

Did I mention checking the direction of rotation and location of the little red dot ?  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Yes, even dealers have had the rotation wrong for me several times, easily done!

If you're taking the loose wheel to the dealer, I'd suggest putting a strip of masking tape on the rim with the rotation arrow done with a marker.

Re Your dealer quoting you end of May to install the tyres you bought elsewhere, ring around !

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 02:25:13 PM by Steph »

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 04:53:02 PM »
most dealers and shops don't really care what brand wheels they are if brought in loose and just have to R & R tires. check around to some other shops. heck even Cycle gear does them.

Doing them yourself for the very first time by yourself not recommended. Changing tires might seem to be pretty simple but you can screw up rims and tires with tire irons if you don't know what your doing.
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500
bunch of other stuff that is long gone.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 05:18:25 PM »
Tire change... stopped that years ago. My MC tire shop has free install with tire purchase, that if you bring him the wheel, not the bike. Tire prices are about equal with install as online tires and paying install.

BTW: I was told the dot line up with the valve stem?

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 06:10:52 PM »
The Motion Pro catalog is a great place to start...great tire tools. Also, resist the temptation to use too long a tire lever. An indiscreet pull of your lever can screw up the runout on your rim. Me and Kevin Cameron prefer 8" or 9" levers. Tire lube and a way to hold your wheel stationary make things easier. A static balancer like this:
http://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Wheel-Balancer-800-256/dp/B0068FUWGI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1462143807&sr=8-8&keywords=static+wheel+balancer
works great with self-adhesive wheel weights. Be certain that you clean the balancer weight location on the rim with alcohol so you don't throw a weight. You'll need a source of high-ish pressure air to get your tire to seal and seat (hand pumps just don't work with tubeless wheels). Take your time and be careful...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:12:31 PM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 06:47:53 PM »
As stated there are lots of video's on youtube. Watch them. Take note about the drop center and where the tire needs to be positioned in it while your installing the tire. One word of advise I'll give you is if you are forcing the tire onto the rim you are doing something wrong.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 07:02:35 PM »
I'd say one thing to be cautious of is not over torquing the pinch bolts on the front axle.  I haven't heard of V7's having issues but some early Stelvio's had their fork castings broken when the pinch bolts were over torqued.  I have found removing the bevel box to be easier upon reassembly than trying to do it with the box attached and many like to check the drive shaft and splines to make sure they have sufficient grease applied which isn't always the case from the factory.

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 07:04:45 PM »
I plan on changing a lot of tires, so I invested in some tools as follows (some of which have already been mentioned):

- Harbor Freight Motorcycle Tire Changer - MUST be modified with Mojo Blocks.
- Mojo Blocks and Mojo Lever
- Marc Parnes wheel balancer (I rest it on two sawhorses)
- Wheel weights
- Motion Pro rim protectors
- Ru-Glide, rubber lubricant

While the HF changer is working for me, I would probably buy a No-Mar changer if I had to do it over again, but they cost more. I'd really prefer one that goes on a truck hitch, rather than a free-standing unit.

I did it the first time solo after watching a few YouTube videos. It took me a long time and I ran out of swear words, but I'm pretty fast now. I can easily change a tire in the evening, at my convenience, when shops are not open - and I can do it faster than I can drive to a shop with my wheels, wait for them to install, and drive home.

Also consider: 
Maybe put in some new valve stems. I like the angled ones that make it easy to check pressure and add air.
You can change your own wheel bearings too. I like the Pit Posse wheel bearing removal tool.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline TDF

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 07:13:18 PM »
I regularly change tires, with nothing more than a few screwdrivers, crowbars, and a bead breaker wedge.  The spoons, fancy bead breakers, do make it easier though.  Motorcycle tires, etc. are a piece of cake.  I do like the plastic wheel savers though if I care about the wheel (they're powder coated on my V11 sport).  Have done all the way from ATV/ motorcycle tires, up to 11.00-20 semi tires, all the way to 38" tractor tires by hand.  Just got done breaking down and changing tires out on a military semi tractor.  Don't know why people pay to go to a gym.  You really work up a sweat working with the bigger ones.

And yeah the advice about really paying attention to rotation is sound.  Nothing sucks more than airing up a tire, and stepping back to admire your work only to realize you're going to have to redo it.

TDF
2000 V11 Sport
2002 MV Agusta F4 750
2000 KTM 640 Duke II
1966 Ducati Sebring 350
1965 Ducati Bronco 125
1958 MDS Super Dart 70
1966 Honda CL77
1949 Ariel VB 600
1983 Husqvarna WR430
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star
1973 Suzuki TS125
68 & 73 CT90's
Plus a whole herd of parts bikes
Emerald NE

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 07:23:32 PM »
Among other things, Scud says:
While the HF changer is working for me, I would probably buy a No-Mar changer if I had to do it over again, but they cost more. I'd really prefer one that goes on a truck hitch, rather than a free-standing unit.
Most excellent information in your post. Just FYI, I prefer the changer to be bolted down. I have studs in the floor so it is removable. Todd at Guzzitech has a No-Mar (I think) hooked to a truck hitch, and it's not terribly stable. I prefer bolted down and have the ability to walk around it.

To the OP.. That said, be prepared for some frustration. Trust me. I've changed several tires using the above method, and the Kid used to work in a motorcycle shop when he was really a kid. He's changed some tires.
We put new tires on the Monza yesterday, and it was a 3 hour affair. (!) The front tire bead would *not* seat. We slathered it with Ru-Glide..nope. warmed it up, nada.. kept running up the shop air pressure until I finally said no more at 95 psi.  :shocked: Put the valve core back in and pumped it up to 50 psi and bounced it on the floor repeatedly. Nothing. More Ru-Glide. Tried it at 95 a few more times. Finally, I went to the tractor garage to get the biggest tie down straps I own to wrap around it (with fear and trepidation). When I came back to the shop with them, the Kid said, it just seated. WHEW!! I've never seen anything like it, nor had he.
On that particular tire, I would have gleefully paid the $42 the local shop wants..  :smiley:
It's not always a walk in the park.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline JoeB

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 08:06:21 PM »
One trick I learned was warm tires go on easier. Put the new ones in a black garbage bag out in the sun while your pulling the wheel. One of the many sites with info: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html
I liked it because it mentions some homemade tools, save some money, (Guzzi content).
It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 08:13:23 PM »
Just FYI, I prefer the changer to be bolted down. I have studs in the floor so it is removable. Todd at Guzzitech has a No-Mar (I think) hooked to a truck hitch, and it's not terribly stable. I prefer bolted down and have the ability to walk around it.

I bolted my HF changer to a pallet. Can't drill into my post-tension slab in the garage or seriously bad things happen. I'll have to visit Todd - good excuse to ride the Santa Monica Mountains again.

+1 on warm tires. Set those lizards out in the sun if you can - especially the rears. However, the Mojo Lever provides a LOT of leverage and is very effective (even on cold tires), once you figure it out.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2020 Yamaha TW200

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 10:05:38 PM »
Water soluble lube is best.  No oil based grease or WD40.  You're first time would be best with a mentor helping or monitoring you.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 10:19:25 PM »
I removed the tires on my bike, and it was a lot more difficult than I was expecting. I scarred up my rims, so I definitely will use the plastic protectors next time or even better, I'll take them in somewhere. After I painted the wheels, then I had the new tires mounted back on at a car tire shop.

As far as balancing goes, I used Ride-On and that stuff is great. Rides as smooth as silk at any speed, plus you get some protection against flats. I highly recommend taking a look at that stuff. Amazon.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:24:33 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 05:31:13 AM »
NO, this isn't another tire thread.  My V7II Stone has 8000 miles on it and it needs new tires.  I already know I'm putting on Pirelli Sport Demons, I've already bought them, so there's no need to talk about that.  I'm looking for advice about the best way to remove the wheels, pry off the tires and mount the new ones.  Is there a trick to getting the wheels off?  Do I need (or is it easier) to pull off the bevel drive?  What brands of tire irons (spoons?) are good?  Do I need special stuff to insure a good rim seal?  Do I need to balance the tires?  Any other advice out there?  I should say that I'm pretty handy with tools but I have no recent experience with motorcycle tires.  Many thanks in advance for all advice, hints, and warnings.  Sam
Good on you Sib for wanting to understand your bike a little more deeply. I'd say that most of us old timers 60+, take our tires to the shop to be mounted, not because we can't do it ourselves, but 'cos we've lived through the years where we had no choice other than to do it ourselves, having said that it is an invaluable skill to get yourself out of the poo if you're stuck. Now the thing is you could buggerise around for God knows how long damaging your fingers or worse still, your beautiful rims for a saving of 3/5 of bugger all, howevever I reckon the best thing to do is find an old timer with decent credibility, (take your time here), and take a wheel or two off your Guzzi and ask him if he'll walk you through the procedure, it'll save you a lot of grief and the old bugger will appreciate that you bow to his knowledge and wisdom gained over a lifetime. Also the forty bucks or so you woulda given the shop could go towards a few drinks and a good conversation which is sure to follow, (depending on how many drinks)!!!. Anyway, that's what I'd do. Huzo.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 05:36:04 AM »

Did I mention checking the little red dot ?  :rolleyes:

Dusty
I damn well should know Dusty one, but what's the little red dot for again? I'm sure I've been told before but ummmm....!

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 08:15:22 AM »
The dots generally indicate the light spot - but it's a good idea to look it up for each manufacturer before you mount the tire. The heavy spot on the rim is generally at the stem. However, if you have a wheel balancing tool, you can find the exact heavy spot on the rim. I put my bare rims on the balancer and mark the heavy spot with an "H" inside the rim. It's never been exactly at the valve stem, but is within a few inches of it.

When I mount the tire, I put a piece of masking tape outside the rim at the dot, and align the dot to the tape, rather than the stem. I'm not sure if it makes any practical difference, but my theory is that starting with the best balance possible will require adding the least amount of weight.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 08:21:06 AM »

A couple of points , and don't ask why I bring these up . First , double and triple check the direction of rotation , and the check it again .

Dusty

LOL, screwed up both a couple of times. 

For lube I get the stuff from NAPA (Ruglyde).  Yep, I know a gallon is way too much but it works so much better for me when trying to reseat the bead.  I have used detergent and water but the Ruglyde works better.

I didn't see anyone mention a ratchet strap?  Used to keep the beads 'sealed' so you can get them seated.

C-Clamp.  I also use a small wood block or Al plate (2"wide 4" long) under the clamp to push more of the bead down.  WD40 works to help unseat stubborn beads (clean it off once the tire is off the rim).

I only have 12" spoons cause I used to carry them on the bike with me when I had tubes.  They have worked fine.  I just picked up a set at Cycle Gear.  I like to have three of them.

Don't have anything fancy to work with.  Just plop a couple of 2x4s on the ground and set the tire on them.  Not good for your back :)

Balancing I do with the axle.  One end on a table, the other in my hand.  Works well enough.  FWIW, I have also put wheels back on the bike without balancing.  They do OK.

Check your wheel bearings while you have the wheel off.  Don't forget to put some grease on the splines when you reinstall the wheel.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 09:38:58 AM »
I didn't see anyone mention a ratchet strap?  Used to keep the beads 'sealed' so you can get them seated.

I did on the novel I wrote above.  :smiley: I would do that as a last resort only. I have visions of ratchet strap parts heading for my eye..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

kirby1923

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 09:54:57 AM »
I keep a can of either (starting gas aerosol) and if I get one that will not seat I just brake the bead and spray a bit in and light it with a bic. The seating pop is less noisy than the compressed air one.
Learned from my friend Cody who uses this method on tractor tires (and his pan head).

Works every time.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 10:10:42 AM »
We put new tires on the Monza yesterday, and it was a 3 hour affair. (!) The front tire bead would *not* seat. We slathered it with Ru-Glide..nope. warmed it up, nada.. kept running up the shop air pressure until I finally said no more at 95 psi.  :shocked: Put the valve core back in and pumped it up to 50 psi and bounced it on the floor repeatedly. Nothing. More Ru-Glide. Tried it at 95 a few more times.

Here, all "classic" Guzzis with cast rims get their tires and rims sprayed liberally with Windex to get the beads to seat. Seems to be the only thing that works for me. Still takes a lot more psi than I'm comfortable with.
Charlie

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 10:18:26 AM »
It took 100psi for my front to seat. I was watching the installer.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here