Author Topic: Tire inspection reminder  (Read 5060 times)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: Tire inspection reminder
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 08:27:21 AM »
My Sport Demon front still has quite a bit of tread on it at 6,000 miles, but it has gotten very chattery in sharp curves so it's going to be changed shortly.  I'm trying Avon Roadriders this time because of good experience with them on another bike.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 08:52:50 AM »
Based on the wide variability of tire life as seen in this thread, the moral of the story is: don't rely on your odometer or calendar for determining when to put on a new tire. Monitor and inspect regularly for wear and damage! Hopefully I'll have some time tonight to pull the wheel off and get the new tire mounted by my new and nearby Guzzi dealer, boy I do like the sound of that! Fall riding is just around the corner, my favorite time of year!
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 04:19:40 PM »
Make sure you mark right and left on the wheel.  Let the dealer know so that the tire goes on correctly.  :shocked:  Just a reminder.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 07:57:03 PM »
The Sport Demons are one of the few that will fit my T5.  The fronts will go past 10k miles easily.  But, the back will wear out in 4-5k miles.  So, I use Shinkos on the back.  They go 7-8k but are cheap enough I don't care.  They aren't as sticky as the pirellis.

I am another shocked to hear of some SD's that went to the 8k point.  But, I am over 200lb and my bike is a bit heavier, and on trips it is loaded with another 50-100lb of stuff.

I also had a tire split like the OP one time.  It was a BT-45 but it was probably due to age as the PO of my bike did not ride it much in 7 yrs of ownership.

It does pay to inspect tires every now and then.  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 07:57:03 PM »

Offline organfixsing

• Hatchling
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2016, 05:52:43 AM »
I put Pilot Activ tyres, front and back, on my V7II. I had approx 9000+Km on the rear for the Sport Demon tyres.
The difference I find is that although the SDs have a wavey centreline on the front tyre, they are sensitive to grooves in the road.
The PVs have a straight centreline which is reputed to have problems following grooves etc. Not the case.
I have found that the Michelins are not inclined to follow grooves in the road.
As to relative stickiness, I have no comment as I am not a fast rider. I do find, however, that the front end seem to be a little 'skittish' when slowing down for lights, perhaps need a little more Km.

Cheers

Brian :grin:
If you remove the wings of a fly, does that make it a walk?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here