Author Topic: tire changing machine issues  (Read 3760 times)

Online ray bear

• Gosling
tire changing machine issues
« on: July 22, 2018, 11:37:51 PM »
Hi all, A topic that's been discussed before however I purchased a NoMar tire changer a while back and am happy with the wheel clamping but although it demounts tires well I'm not impressed with the mounting end of the bar, All my bikes are old from 1947 to 1979 with tubed tires apart from the CBX.  It appears the two nylon pegs take up too much space between rim and tire  bead and its like trying to get a 17 and a half inch tyre on a 18 inch rim.I have successfully changed 3 tires so far but a lot of effort was required and more than I was comfortable with and  I have been changing motorcycle tires since I was a teenager and understand the principle well and still repair punctures on the side of the road  but I did not buy a machine that really only acts as a wheel stand I want it to change tires easily  and have just noticed on NoMars site they change trail bike tyres with tyre irons/spoons, what's the point of the machine, these rims are similar to my bike rims. I have  heard a lot of positive remarks about a mount bar made by Mojo that appears to be a lot thinner and takes up less space between bead and rim and should not have to use as much force  has any one else heard good results on the  Mojo bar.   Thanks Bill
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert
84 FLHX limited edition electra glide

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
Re: tire changing machine issues
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 03:34:23 AM »
I am guessing it would not be too hard to turn the one end of a Nomar bar into a Mojo setup....

I have a nomar bar that works, but generally just use spoons/tire machine with a motorcycle duckhead.I also have a Mark Parnes balancer,and a motorcycle adapter for my Wheel balancer.. Home made tire machine too, and pretty nice bead breaker on it.. I am thinking the Mojo would last much longer then the mounting setup on the Nomar. I am big on building what you need, and having the correct tool for the job..

Online ray bear

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 03:59:00 AM »
Yes if I get some positive feed back on the Mojo bar I will modify the Nomar bar.
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 05:56:43 AM »
I use a Sealy TC963 bar;

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?id=20&method=mViewProduct&productid=8460

Works well although due to the bulk of the rollers it can be a little tricky to get it into the skinny tyres on my LM2, not sure if the Mojolever might be a bit more slimline?

Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 05:56:43 AM »

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 07:06:23 AM »
Hi all, A topic that's been discussed before however I purchased a NoMar tire changer a while back and am happy with the wheel clamping but although it demounts tires well I'm not impressed with the mounting end of the bar, All my bikes are old from 1947 to 1979 with tubed tires apart from the CBX.  It appears the two nylon pegs take up too much space between rim and tire  bead and its like trying to get a 17 and a half inch tyre on a 18 inch rim.I have successfully changed 3 tires so far but a lot of effort was required and more than I was comfortable with and  I have been changing motorcycle tires since I was a teenager and understand the principle well and still repair punctures on the side of the road  but I did not buy a machine that really only acts as a wheel stand I want it to change tires easily  and have just noticed on NoMars site they change trail bike tyres with tyre irons/spoons, what's the point of the machine, these rims are similar to my bike rims. I have  heard a lot of positive remarks about a mount bar made by Mojo that appears to be a lot thinner and takes up less space between bead and rim and should not have to use as much force  has any one else heard good results on the  Mojo bar.   Thanks Bill

I feel your pain. I have a K&L tire machine, I swear I break more of a sweat using the machine than I used to changing tires by hand.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 07:30:41 AM »
Kevin Cameron (the technical editor for Cycle World magazine) only uses eight or nine inch tire levers on motorcycle wheels. Why? Because anything longer can bend rims outward and cause runout issues.

I only use eight or nine inch tire levers on motorcycle wheels. Why? Don't ask...but straightening a wheel at Woody's Wheel Works cost me around $200.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 08:44:12 AM »
I just have a girl change mine for me with spoons.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 08:53:43 AM »
Yes if I get some positive feed back on the Mojo bar I will modify the Nomar bar.

I use a MoJo bar. Works well.
All I can compare it to is the tire irons I used to use.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 09:04:38 AM »
I have changed 100's of tires on my NoMar and have found the when using the dismount end of the tire bar one (1) 9" tire lever to hold open the bead to allow the end of the bar to be inserted is the easiest option. Once inserted lay the bar over the wheel and the bead pops easily over the lip of the rim ready to be spun off. It also helps to push the opposite side of the tire into the drop center. I have never been able to do it like the NoMaar videos show where you just insert the dismount end of the tire bar

When mounting the tire I find that sometimes the mount bar will only push the tire over the rim go so far before the tire really starts to stress. At this point I again break out 1 or 2 9" tire levers and coax the last section of tire over the the rim. Usually one or two bites ant the tire is on.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 10:48:32 AM »
If you could find one used, maybe a mount/demount bar from a Coats 200/220 would work better?

With plastic rim protectors in place.

Charlie

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 10:32:04 PM »
Kevin Cameron (the technical editor for Cycle World magazine) only uses eight or nine inch tire levers on motorcycle wheels. Why? Because anything longer can bend rims outward and cause runout issues.

I only use eight or nine inch tire levers on motorcycle wheels. Why? Don't ask...but straightening a wheel at Woody's Wheel Works cost me around $200.

At the 3rd Saturday Guzzi lunch this past week, several people commented on the raggediness of my rear tire.    I'd taken a 70% tire off before a long trip and put this one on it new so I wouldn't have to change a tire in the middle of the journey, which worked out well ... but I'd worn it down pretty good and I'd been meaning to take this knackered one off and put the 70% tire back on and get the rest of the use out of it.

I laid the tire I was going to install out in the sun before I started taking the wheel off the bike.   The Stelvio has got to be the easiest bike in the world to change a rear tire on.   Two 14mm bolts for the caliper, four 17mm lug bolts, and the wheel falls off in your hand and rolls out right under the fender, you don't even have to tip the wheel to the side.   

Up on the stand, pulled the valve core, broke the bead with the only part of my old Harbor Freight tire changer still intact, and used my 8" tire irons to peel the old tire off.   I DO use a very curved automotive tire iron to start the second bead off the rim, since the curve helps reach down and grab the bead.   I don't do any hard pulling on it though.

Tossed the old tire in the trash where it belonged.   Got the nice warm "new" tire, lubed it all up good with "Ru-Glide", and the first bead just pushed on with my hands.   Started the second bead, got halfway round with just my hands, then nibbled at it, leapfrogging the little tire irons, and it popped right on.    Put about 45 pounds in it and got two nice "POINKS!" as the beads seated, put the valve core back in, pumped it up, and Bob's yer uncle.

When it's that easy, I just can't justify a tire machine.   I may run across a situation at some point that will make me order up a No-Mar or something, but not yet ....

Lannis (sometimes you're the bug, sometimes the windshield)
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online ray bear

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 10:55:13 PM »
Your spoilt with a girls wheel Lannis, put on a clean skirt and try and older wheel where the two tyre beads together are about the same width as your rim total and theres limited room in the well of the wheel rim for the beads to go down into .I also have no trouble changing a pliable wide profile tire on a spacious rim, My point was that the two mount pegs on the Nomar bar are of a large diameter and take up too much space and wanted  to know if there was a proven item on the market that was thinner and put less stress on the tire/rim  . Thanks for all replies. Bill
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 11:16:50 PM »
Your spoilt with a girls wheel Lannis, put on a clean skirt and try and older wheel where the two tyre beads together are about the same width as your rim total and theres limited room in the well of the wheel rim for the beads to go down into .I also have no trouble changing a pliable wide profile tire on a spacious rim, My point was that the two mount pegs on the Nomar bar are of a large diameter and take up too much space and wanted  to know if there was a proven item on the market that was thinner and put less stress on the tire/rim  . Thanks for all replies. Bill

Well, I could put on a clean skirt but I don't see how much older my bikes can get.

I've got a 1955, a 1961, a 1969, a 1975, a 1983 and the rest of them are new-ish.   I change the tires on all of them.   

Maybe an easier solution for you would be to drop the girls-blouse "machine" and learn how to use tire irons and tire lube?  A 3.00 x 19 Avon really isn't that much trouble, narrow rim or not ....

Lannis

Online ray bear

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 11:42:08 PM »
Thanks Lannis I got the bite I was after, and I have been changing tires all my life with levers with no problems also however thought I would spoil myself with a flash machine to make life easier but it back fired on me and instead of selling it at a loss am trying to get it to work to a level I expected of it in the first place . I should have realised when nomar themselves use spoons to change trail bike tires so the machine is nothing more than a tire stand. Not the first time ive been stung and probably wont be the last.
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 11:48:38 PM »
Thanks Lannis I got the bite I was after, and I have been changing tires all my life with levers with no problems also however thought I would spoil myself with a flash machine to make life easier but it back fired on me and instead of selling it at a loss am trying to get it to work to a level I expected of it in the first place . I should have realised when nomar themselves use spoons to change trail bike tires so the machine is nothing more than a tire stand. Not the first time ive been stung and probably wont be the last.

A useful warning example to all of us ... !    I didn't aim as high, bought a Harbor Fright "tire changing" machine, all that's left is the stump that I use as a tire stand with the bead-breaker at the bottom ....

Lannis

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 08:21:52 AM »
I converted my HF bar into a  MOJO lever. It's the best free :evil: tire tool I've ever used.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 08:38:32 AM »
I will never go back to changing tires with tire irons and such as long as there's room in whatever building I work out of for my vintage Coats 200 tire machine. It's simply the best $370 my brother ever spent.  :wink: It's made changing tires so much easier and with almost zero chance of ever pinching a tube.
Charlie

Online ray bear

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 07:06:54 PM »
Charlie Thanks for the images of the Coates bar, looks like a much finer profile that will create less stretch of the tire, will spend some time in the workshop today and turn up something similar an give it a try. Its so much easier to look at a proven idea and copy it than to stand in front of the mill all day creating a mound of swarf on multiple ideas that may not work Thanks Bill
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 09:42:03 PM »
I should have realised when nomar themselves use spoons to change trail bike tires so the machine is nothing more than a tire stand. Not the first time ive been stung and probably wont be the last.

Yea, years ago NoMar was doing a demo at a local bike show. They were mounting a tire on a rim that looked to be about 8 inches wide. Though I'm sure it was only 6. They had this big wide soft tire, had the rim mounted on their machine, and simply slapped the tire onto the rim and it pretty much fell onto the rim. The machine did nothing but hold the rim, the tire was so wide and soft. When I asked him to show me a narrow knobby tire being mounted, he shooed me away.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online ray bear

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 11:32:48 PM »
Yes Wayne just a lot of good advertising, It will install tires but a lot of lubricant and tooo much effort required that Im not comfortable with, I have a CBX1000 and they have a similar rim to the dreaded Goldwing rim and I could not get that one on without having to  use so much force that it wasn't going to happen so off to the tire shop, I made up a bar with the ducks head that the bigger machines use and sort of worked but still not happy. Ill get it to work.Bill

73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert

Offline Spokane2303

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2018, 08:50:47 AM »
Any pictures of how a HF bar was converted into a Mojo bar?

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2018, 10:59:24 AM »
Mojolevers are available for purchase, but I don't know of a retrofit kit for Harbor Freight levers. However, there are MojoBlocks that make the HF motorcycle wheel stand work better by an order of magnitude. The wheel is held a good deal more securely and the rim is protected from scratches. These things are a great deal at $30 and the HF tire-changing stand is transformed from a near-miss to a useful tool. However, I save the long bar for trailers, tractors, and equipment wheels. With a secure tire-changing stand and good technique, short levers are easy to use and safer for your wheels.

https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoblocks.htm
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 03:48:53 PM »
Ken has a nomar.  The broken lever is behind the front door.  Ken figures it's the least lethal thing to hit an intruder with.  Despite his negativity, l managed to dismount 17 tires from all sorts of rims.......

...... using the nomar as a table whilst I went to town on them with the abraisive wheel in the big DeWalt grinder.  Worked like a charm!

Ken says it's for sale for local pickup.  Make offer of cash v+ a Nerf bat to replace the lever behind the front door.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 04:07:22 PM »
Then you have the cheap and lazy riders like me who pull their wheels and take them down to Cycle Gear.  They mount and balance for $25 each when you buy the (discounted) tire from them.

Mark
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 07:14:00 PM by not-fishing »
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 09:42:19 PM »

I like my tire changing stand from Harbor freight. It locks the tire in and up off the ground. I a bear of a time with a Triumph RocketIII a few years back. But rubber lube was my friend!

My friends wife looked at me funny when I produced a half used gallon of 'rubber lube'.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2018, 05:01:00 PM »

Yeah, just (cough cough) buy.. a Mojo lever and a set of Mojo blocks for your HF tire changer. I scratched up a rim  :rolleyes:  trying to use the stock HF crap.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2018, 05:42:08 PM »
I use two or three of those ratcheting clamps made for gluing wood.   Clamp them down so the tire is well centered in the drop center ad it is much easier to get the rest of the tire on the rim.

Otherwise, I just use lots of lube and keep the tire itself good and hot.  In summertime, I leave the tire in the yard in direct sun for several hours.  In the winter, I put the tire under the hood over the hot engine of a car and let it heat soak a while. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here