Author Topic: NGC Shoulder surgery??  (Read 427 times)

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
NGC Shoulder surgery??
« on: March 27, 2024, 07:23:21 AM »
I’m having a torn tendon in my left shoulder and a possible rotator cuff tear repaired with surgery on may 2nd.  Dr says 6 weeks in a sling.  Anyone here have this procedure done and if so how long can I expect to be off my motorcycle?  Thank you!
Tennessee/Georgia areas Moto Guzzi Enthusiasts -Traveling lunch meetups (on Facebook)

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: NGC Shoulder surgery??
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 07:38:35 AM »
Yup , had both done about 6 Yrs. Apart . PT is the key both before & after surgery. It was a few years ago , so if my memory banks are working , about 4 to 8 weeks . I started out with baby steps /short rides & worked up .That said between surgeries I also went to a lighter bike for a bunch of reasons . Swapped a 1200r Beemer for a V7II that helped a lot . Since I’ve added a V7centanario to the shed . I’m very happy with both . Oh btw my pro date is 52 so downsizing was a good decision. The fun is back !

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 07:42:08 AM »
Yup , had both done about 6 Yrs. Apart . PT is the key both before & after surgery. It was a few years ago , so if my memory banks are working , about 4 to 8 weeks . I started out with baby steps /short rides & worked up .That said between surgeries I also went to a lighter bike for a bunch of reasons . Swapped a 1200r Beemer for a V7II that helped a lot . Since I’ve added a V7centanario to the shed . I’m very happy with both . Oh btw my pro date is 52 so downsizing was a good decision. The fun is back !
. Thanks for the info.  I have a 2021 v7 850 centenario!  So that’s good!  Lighter weight
Tennessee/Georgia areas Moto Guzzi Enthusiasts -Traveling lunch meetups (on Facebook)

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 12:16:37 PM »
Best of luck on your surgery, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 12:16:37 PM »

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 03:10:56 PM »
Best of luck on your surgery, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

-Stretch

Thank you Stretch! 

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 06:53:08 PM »
Best of luck to you. I'll be following you this summer 🤕
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 07:46:57 PM »
Best of luck to you. I'll be following you this summer 🤕

Good luck to you on your surgery!

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 05:43:09 PM »
Good luck on the surgery.  While healing, you might want to include Chondroitin Glucosamine supplements.  The supplement will help.  I avoided surgery and was able to heal my rotator cuff but probably my injury was not as severe as yours.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 05:22:18 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Thunderbutt

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2024, 12:22:04 PM »
Hi Bob-
I had a 16mm tear and the cartilage seperated from the bone.  Doctors told me no riding for 6-8 months.  I was 65 years old at the time.  First few weeks will be tough but the drugs will help you sleep at night. It will be depressing and frustrating when you realize how much you cant do with one arm in a sling and pulled up next to your torso.  I went to P/T twice a week for several months and did the exercises at home which really helped a lot. I was back riding in four months, doctor told me if I thought I was going to crash just try and land on the other shoulder. Good luck and dont sweat it, you will be fine. 
Current rides: 2000 V-11 Sport-SOLD, 2003 Aprilia Mille Haga Replica #125, 1975 Triumph T160, 2002 LeMans, 2008 Norge aka the silver bullet

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2024, 03:15:40 PM »
Bob, good luck with the surgery. Ive had both shoulders done.
It really depends what they find when they go in. I had torn and detached ligaments and needed some of the collar bone shaving off to prevent reoccurance. 3 months of pain that prescription painkillers hardly touched, and a year on each before I started to feel normal again, although I was back on my bike after 5-6 months. Yours may not be as bad. Advice Id give is do the physio no matter how much it hurts and take the painkillers religiously.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 03:19:43 PM by Stevex »

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2024, 03:25:26 PM »
Good luck!

I too had both done 6 years apart.  I’m 7 months past the last one and just finished PT.  I work on my whole body 3 days a week at the gym trying to get back to 100%.  Older you are the harder it is keep your core loose.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here