Author Topic: NGC. Vehicle situation, what would you do???  (Read 5441 times)

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
Re: NGC. Vehicle situation, what would you do???
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2021, 09:42:10 AM »
I have tightened the pinion nut and a whiner got quiet...this has to be done with some caution and experience..
 Pete is correct, just fix it. I'm a bit surprised by some remarks to more or less give up on and otherwise good truck.

This is a stop-gap fix until a proper repair can be done.  Splines on the yolk may suffer accelerated wear when the nut is not properly torqued & staked in position.  Tightening the nut after it loosens typically changes the engagement depth, accelerating the wear/destruction of the ring and pinion.  Playing with old trucks and 4x4 mean rear ends happy or rebuilding them..  No way to avoid it.

Rebuilding the rear end would be my solution.  Even if you sell the truck, it needs a good rear end to be worth the  good money.

1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2021, 11:38:31 AM »
This is a stop-gap fix until a proper repair can be done.  Splines on the yolk may suffer accelerated wear when the nut is not properly torqued & staked in position.  Tightening the nut after it loosens typically changes the engagement depth, accelerating the wear/destruction of the ring and pinion.  Playing with old trucks and 4x4 mean rear ends happy or rebuilding them..  No way to avoid it.

Rebuilding the rear end would be my solution.  Even if you sell the truck, it needs a good rear end to be worth the  good money.
  I mentioned  a complete overhaul... ...I drive older trucks and have personally set up more than a few gear sets and bearing replacements, two and four wheel drive, front and rear.. You do the obvious first, it may last a lot longer than you think. If the nut has loosened and the pinion preload crush sleeve has not collapsed, then the nut can be tightened carefully...You can feel the increase in effort when the yoke goes up against the crush sleeve..

« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 12:10:27 PM by Rough Edge racing »

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2021, 01:30:24 PM »
  I mentioned  a complete overhaul... ...I drive older trucks and have personally set up more than a few gear sets and bearing replacements, two and four wheel drive, front and rear.. You do the obvious first, it may last a lot longer than you think. If the nut has loosened and the pinion preload crush sleeve has not collapsed, then the nut can be tightened carefully...You can feel the increase in effort when the yoke goes up against the crush sleeve..

We both agree on the solution and it sounds like we've got similar experience & vehicles.. 

My point was for others to not think simply tightening the pinion nut would be a typically long-lasting fix.  Once the crush sleeve has been committed during the initial torque, it's a very fortunate effort to tighten a loosened nut to the exact position again.  Doesn't matter if you use a scale or another method.  Sometimes it lasts but once that nut loosens by itself, the writing is on the wall. The only way to do a lasting repair imho is to at least install a new sleeve and set it up all over again.

I also fix things because I'm not awash in disposable resources like some apparently are. Selling a paid-for truck in otherwise good shape because it needs the rear end serviced doesn't make sense in my world.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2021, 03:25:29 PM »
The mechanics said main bearing is going out in the rear end and whole rear end has to be replaced on this model truck.  It is a 2014 ram truck 3.92 rear end 4x4.  I’m leaning toward either buying something used or just sticking with my motorcycles until the ram can be fixed.  I’m not interested in leasing because I was informed that that is the biggest rip off out there and I put on too many miles.  25k per year

I think I would seek a second opinion.  Is your truck at a RAM dealership, or at an independent shop?
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2021, 03:25:29 PM »

bobrebos

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2021, 12:05:25 AM »
I think I would seek a second opinion.  Is your truck at a RAM dealership, or at an independent shop?

It was at an independent mechanic/garage.  Now it is going to a independent 4x4 shop that specializes in rebuilding rear ends, 4x4s etc.

bobrebos

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2021, 12:07:14 AM »

I also fix things because I'm not awash in disposable resources like some apparently are. Selling a paid-for truck in otherwise good shape because it needs the rear end serviced doesn't make sense in my world.

I totally agree! 

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2021, 06:47:22 AM »
I ran across this just this morning, might be of some help.

https://www.allpar.com/threads/differential-noise.240143/

kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

bobrebos

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2021, 06:57:24 AM »
I ran across this just this morning, might be of some help.

https://www.allpar.com/threads/differential-noise.240143/

kk

Thanks for the link.  4x4 builders tear into the rearend on the 6th of January to see what is all wrong. 

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2021, 09:25:28 AM »
If you are looking for a recycled one how would you know its not from the same year(s) as the bad ones? I never understood the logic of replacing a bad part with another bad part.

Pete

They don’t ALL fail. The failure rate is very low even on parts there is a lot of demand for. Buy from a major recycler with a guarantee
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2022, 07:23:11 AM »
It was at an independent mechanic/garage.  Now it is going to a independent 4x4 shop that specializes in rebuilding rear ends, 4x4s etc.

This!

Until you know what is broken you're just farting in a windstorm.

Do the diagnostics.  Get the estimate.  Do the math.

Then you can make an informed decision.

Just a thought (I know nothing) - if the parts are not available commercially or are redonculously $$$$ - can you have a machine shop make new bits$

Good Luck with this.  We just went through the whole vehicle repair/replace decision making process. 
We replaced.

YMMV

Cheers!

G
Midnight bugs taste best

bobrebos

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2022, 08:37:26 AM »
This!

Until you know what is broken you're just farting in a windstorm.

Do the diagnostics.  Get the estimate.  Do the math.

Then you can make an informed decision.

Just a thought (I know nothing) - if the parts are not available commercially or are redonculously $$$$ - can you have a machine shop make new bits$

Good Luck with this.  We just went through the whole vehicle repair/replace decision making process. 
We replaced.

YMMV

Cheers!

G

Il be repairing my existing vehicle as soon as I find out what exactly in the rearend is broken.  $65000 for a new truck….that is NOT HAPPENING!

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2022, 09:50:00 AM »
Il be repairing my existing vehicle as soon as I find out what exactly in the rearend is broken.  $65000 for a new truck….that is NOT HAPPENING!

"Ya gotta have a Plan B, Dave."

$65K USD is out of my price range too.  That's like $5 gabillion CDN.

Cheers!

G
Midnight bugs taste best

bobrebos

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2022, 05:46:13 PM »
Truck goes into a 4x4 rearend shop tomorrow morning.  Hoping for the best! 

bobrebos

« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2022, 10:05:42 AM »

From 4x4 shop on my ram inspection today;

Ring and pinion gears are shot, clutch packs in rearend are shot, spider gears are shot in the rear end, front end electric rack and pinion steering has excessive play rear axle bearings shot/worn out.  New truck cost 60k now days from what I priced on line.  Decided to fix mine to keep from having a huge truck monthly payment.  Should be fixed in two-three weeks for $2200.00 -$2500.00 approximately. 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2022, 10:10:16 AM »
At least you won't have to wait 6 months. 

Considering that they're installing a new steering rack and rebuilding the rear end, a couple thou $ doesn't sound too bad.

How many miles did you put on this beast?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

bobrebos

« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2022, 10:37:19 AM »
At least you won't have to wait 6 months. 

Considering that they're installing a new steering rack and rebuilding the rear end, a couple thou $ doesn't sound too bad.

How many miles did you put on this beast?

155,000 miles so far

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2022, 10:40:45 AM »
From 4x4 shop on my ram inspection today;

Ring and pinion gears are shot, clutch packs in rearend are shot, spider gears are shot in the rear end, front end electric rack and pinion steering has excessive play rear axle bearings shot/worn out.  New truck cost 60k now days from what I priced on line.  Decided to fix mine to keep from having a huge truck monthly payment.  Should be fixed in two-three weeks for $2200.00 -$2500.00 approximately.
Was that truck used for relatively heavy work during its lifetime and what is the miles to date?
Just curious, I’ve got a 2005 1500 Ram with the 391 gears and 5.7 Hemi.

bobrebos

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2022, 10:44:56 AM »
Was that truck used for relatively heavy work during its lifetime and what is the miles to date?
Just curious, I’ve got a 2005 1500 Ram with the 391 gears and 5.7 Hemi.

I’ve owned it since new.  I pulled a 3000 pound (estimated) enclosed 14’ trailer s few times with it.  No other heavy duty work.  It has 155,000 miles on it.  2014, 5.7 hemi with 3.92 rear end.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 10:50:23 AM by bobrebos »

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2022, 10:53:59 AM »
I’ve owned it since new.  I pulled a 3000 pound (estimated) enclosed 14’ trailer s few times with it.  No other heavy duty work.  It has 155,000 miles on it.  2014, 5.7 hemi with 3.96 rear end.
This make me question if I need to be thinking about trading? Mine has 93k miles and used about like yours. These trucks should not be trashing these parts this quickly!

bobrebos

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2022, 11:07:44 AM »
This make me question if I need to be thinking about trading? Mine has 93k miles and used about like yours. These trucks should not be trashing these parts this quickly!

I decided with new trucks costing 60$k plus I’m just going to keep fixing mine as needed for at least another 100,000 miles!  I’m cheap!  (Guzzi content).  Lol

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2022, 12:08:08 PM »
Those truck are pretty expensive.  Has anyone considered one of those new Ford Mavericks ?    :wink:

(sorry, couldn't resist)  (best of luck getting your car fixed.  :thumb:   it happens to the best)
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2022, 02:57:50 PM »
$2500 for the whole shooting match? Rack & pinions alone go for like $1200. Maybe they're going to repair it somehow.

Regardless, that's not bad at all. You'll basically have a new rear end inside a month, and at least a measure more confidence than you would've had with the junkyard rear.

Fix' em and drive 'em! Car payments suck!
"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2022, 03:19:21 PM »
Those truck are pretty expensive.  Has anyone considered one of those new Ford Mavericks ?    :wink:

(sorry, couldn't resist)  (best of luck getting your car fixed.  :thumb:   it happens to the best)
I have given the Maverick as well as Ranger and other midsize pickups consideration. However pickup’s are like tractors as it’s far better to have a little more than you normally need that need more at some time and not have enough. That’s my Philosophy anyhow.
Also if you look at the stats, a 1500 series with the V6 or V6 turbocharged motors only gets a few MPG less as the mid size trucks do.
One simply must figure up the pros and cons and listen to the wallet???

bobrebos

« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2022, 03:19:47 PM »
$2500 for the whole shooting match? Rack & pinions alone go for like $1200. Maybe they're going to repair it somehow.

Regardless, that's not bad at all. You'll basically have a new rear end inside a month, and at least a measure more confidence than you would've had with the junkyard rear.

I agree…Car payments suck!!!

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2022, 03:25:57 PM »
Sounds good, Bob.  That's what I would do.   For the price of 1-2 new truck payments, its a done deal.   This should also sort out any factory defect/recall-related stuff. that contributed to the failure in the first place  Very cool.

1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2022, 03:39:56 PM »
Well 2500 bucks is a chunk of change but still way better than new truck. That amount wouldn’t even cover sales tax here plus I suspect these parts will be better than new.

Pete

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2022, 07:37:01 PM »
Sounds good, Bob.  That's what I would do.   For the price of 1-2 new truck payments, its a done deal.   This should also sort out any factory defect/recall-related stuff. that contributed to the failure in the first place  Very cool.

1 or 2 ?!?

That's like 5-6 payments on my Jeep when I was paying (very little interest) on it.

Shit that's still at least 3 payments on the wife's Land Rover.

Ok... Carry on.

I probably would have traded it in on a Maverick or Frontier...  :angel:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2022, 07:49:52 PM »
I don't know.  I value reliability in a 4 wheeled vehicle above just about everything else.  Having to run all over town getting estimates, and then hoping whoever you end up with does a good repair job gives me an ulcer.  Once I have a big repair and the vehicle is back on the road, I figure that's a good time to get rid of it.  I'm more of a pay once, cry once type.  I'd shop around for the lowest mile two- or three-year-old truck I could find.  My neighbor bought a lightly used F150 last year.  A three year old truck with less than 35,000 miles on it.  But then, I and my neighbors are all retired and don't rack up the miles like we used to.

bobrebos

« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2022, 11:12:01 PM »

I don’t understand and have to ask them again because they said something like the front rack and pinion was way out of specs or had too much play or something like that but it was “electric”.  I didn’t understand that part

Online Sye

• Gosling
  • Be nice, feel good
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2022, 02:33:25 AM »
I don’t understand and have to ask them again because they said something like the front rack and pinion was way out of specs or had too much play or something like that but it was “electric”.  I didn’t understand that part

It just means that it has an electric motor to operate the power steering and not hydraulic.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here