Author Topic: V7 Mistral Exhaust Question  (Read 24727 times)

RickTReloaded

Re: V7 Mistral Exhaust Question
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2015, 11:55:25 AM »
Update: I finally removed the Mistral DB Killers. Oh boy! I'm enjoying this, "loud pipes save lives." Well, at the very least, it sounds just so cool!

How'd the Power Commander adjust to this?

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2015, 12:36:15 PM »
Update: I finally removed the Mistral DB Killers. Oh boy! I'm enjoying this, "loud pipes save lives." Well, at the very least, it sounds just so cool!
If loud pipes save lives, does your insurance company give you a discount?  ;)
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Scoops

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2015, 10:08:43 AM »
I drilled the hole in the end of the baffle out to 10mm.... Makes a nicer sound but not as loud as with the baffle removed.

Offline LaGrasta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2015, 10:20:41 AM »
RickT,
I haven't yet updated the Power Commander. With this unit, it automatically reads the data, but to incorporate it into the bike's computer, you have to "push" it. I haven't yet hooked up the laptop to do so. It will have to adjust as there is now some decel popping, again, sounds cool.

Stupid, I know.
You can buy style, but you have to build character.

'10 Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic
'03 Moto Guzzi VII Sport
'14 Kawasaki KLX250S
'89 Honda GB500tt
'82 Honda GL500 bobber
…and two step-through scooters too.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2015, 10:20:41 AM »

roam

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2015, 10:57:43 AM »
Not to thread jack but this kind of applies to the topic at hand. I removed the baffles this weekend and heard a *tink tink tink* sound coming from the left muffler. Anyone notice anything like this with the baffles out? I looked inside the muffler and 6 inches in it looks as though some of the honeycomb is sticking up a bit. Maybe that noise is the exhaust gas hitting the raised area  ???

Scoops

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2015, 03:02:06 PM »
I had the same on the right

RickTReloaded

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2015, 03:27:22 PM »
RickT,
I haven't yet updated the Power Commander. With this unit, it automatically reads the data, but to incorporate it into the bike's computer, you have to "push" it. I haven't yet hooked up the laptop to do so. It will have to adjust as there is now some decel popping, again, sounds cool.

Stupid, I know.

I installed my Mistrals, threw in the K&N filter, and had it immediately reflashed via Rexxer locally.  Never any issues since.  But I was thinking about a piggyback system like yours to fine tune.

trix400

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2015, 07:07:13 PM »
I put a new set of carbon mistral exhausts on my V7 Special in the late fall , took it out for a couple of rides . I had some surgery so I had it garaged all winter. I'll probably take it out in a couple of weeks. One thing has been bothering me all winter was that I never liked the sound.The pipes are gorgeous but the sound was too loud, raspy.I assume the DB killers were inserted. Any advice on haw I can soften the sound?

RickTReloaded

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 09:25:34 AM »
I put a new set of carbon mistral exhausts on my V7 Special in the late fall , took it out for a couple of rides . I had some surgery so I had it garaged all winter. I'll probably take it out in a couple of weeks. One thing has been bothering me all winter was that I never liked the sound.The pipes are gorgeous but the sound was too loud, raspy.I assume the DB killers were inserted. Any advice on haw I can soften the sound?

My DB killers are out... and I love how mine sounds (non-carbon version).  A good friend of mine has the Agostini Ti admittedly, they sound better - deeper/throatier.  If your DB killers are in, I don't think there's much more you can do short of returning the stock cans.  Have you retuned your ECU?

trix400

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2015, 03:19:43 PM »
Yes, Todd did a reflash

PanMan

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2016, 09:06:25 PM »
I like the sound of the Mistrals online. The stock silencers are soooo big, are these smaller? Also to properly modify the fueling with the more open exhaust, I have only seen online expensive Commanders or ECU reflash. Harley and Triumph do a reflash for $100 give or take. The Guzzi seems to run quite a bit higher. Any less expensive options?

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2016, 02:02:56 AM »
Not sure about less expensive but I can say that my G-Tech reflash works absolutely perfect.  My V7 runs great.  Really pleased with it.  No popping, not lean, no dead spots.  Worth the $$$, at least for me.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline pazzmore

• New Egg
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2016, 07:52:15 PM »
Just installed a set of Mistral Shortys on my 2016 V7II Stone... was very easy with new gaskets. When I started it for the first time, it actually startled me. And this is with the bafflers installed. Would be VERY loud without them.

Here's the before and after video I made. The video doesn't do this sound justice. Highly recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-2CqsmuwhM

Offline Darmie

• New Egg
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2017, 03:41:20 PM »
Good afternoon to all. Just picked up the Stone myself. I think for the price I'll be looking at Mistral. I have some gaskets on order and I'll wait for my first 600 mile service before I do anything. Is it wise to purchase used?
2016 V7 II Stone

Offline Andy1

• Hatchling
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2017, 03:52:21 PM »
I ordered my silencers direct from Mistral and they came with new gaskets
AndyB

ponti_33609

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2017, 06:05:04 AM »
I have said before that IMO Mistrals are the best bang for the buck.  They weigh ~half the original and smaller in appearance as well.  Really cleans up the look of the V7.  Also, I would say Mistrals are one of the only exhausts where you can "get-away" without a reflash.  A bit of pop but not too bad.  Either a reflash from GT or Beetle is an improvement over the stock but if funds are limited I say you can get away without or do it later.

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2017, 07:44:27 AM »
+1...don't waste your time with a piggyback system, as there are already 2 re-flash options.  You would need to wire it in, which means disturbing stock wiring, and will probably make the bike less reliable.  My 2 cents...

Offline Darmie

• New Egg
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2017, 09:44:35 AM »
Thanks for the input. Now to find the correct part number at the best pricing. I'm less than 300 miles but already can't wait for a little more rumble.

I have said before that IMO Mistrals are the best bang for the buck.  They weigh ~half the original and smaller in appearance as well.  Really cleans up the look of the V7.  Also, I would say Mistrals are one of the only exhausts where you can "get-away" without a reflash.  A bit of pop but not too bad.  Either a reflash from GT or Beetle is an improvement over the stock but if funds are limited I say you can get away without or do it later.
2016 V7 II Stone

Offline organfixsing

• Hatchling
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2017, 01:43:15 AM »
For a reflash, try Mark Bailey user name Beetle. He does new maps for U$100. You have to be able to use GuzziDiag and load it yourself. Not much of a problem if you have a laptop. The GuzziDiag software is free (donation accepted with gratitude).

Cheers
Brian (user of one of Mark's maps and satisfied)
If you remove the wings of a fly, does that make it a walk?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here