Author Topic: V7 Racer shocks adjustment (help)  (Read 6651 times)

Offline Nicoman

• New Egg
V7 Racer shocks adjustment (help)
« on: January 19, 2016, 01:17:15 PM »
Hi there!

I recently bought me a V7 Racer for my 40th birthday, it is my very first bike (I already learned how to ride back in my teens though). Thing is, since i'm a heck of a newbie I don't know how to adjust the suspension, I mean, i know how to turn the knobs, rings and stuff  :wink: ...what i'm asking for is: what should i consider when adjusting the spring preload, rebound damping and compression damping? what should I look for? I've been searching the internet for some kind of instructions or advice, but couldn't find anything directly related to this Bitubo shocks...

The front suspension doesn't seem to have any adjustments.

My weight is around 154 pounds, just in case.

Maybe it's a stupid question, i'm really new to motorcycle mechanics ;)

I'll appreciate any advice...

thanks!  :bike-037:

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 Racer shocks adjustment (help)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 01:47:44 PM »
The Race Tech Motorcycle Suspension Bible is probably the best reference there is for dealing with your problem.  Amazon has this in a Kindle edition for about $13, the hard copy is about $27.  You will learn how to adjust your piggyback shocks, how to determine sag, and some options for the forks.  Hey, it's winter so this is a good time to do some reading.

You are right about the forks, not any external adjustments.  I found the forks to be too stiff for my 200# so I ended up installing weaker springs and the RT emulators.  Then I had to adjust the air gap and preload by trial and error.  The end result is pretty good, not Ohlins quality but certainly not anywhere near Ohlins cost.  Others have been satisfied with OEM and just lighter weight oil in the forks.

Good luck,
Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 01:59:55 PM »
Welcome Nicoman,

I recommend you pick up a copy of Lee Park's Total Control and in there is a chapter to help you with your suspension settings.  It is also a great read for his street riding techniques in general  including turning, braking, parking lots, etc.  For $16 you can't beat it.

http://www.amazon.com/Total-Control-Performance-Street-Techniques/dp/0760314039

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

ponti_33609

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
I think your weight may be ideal-ish for the stock settings. I am your size and find they are decent.....not so much if you were 20 pounds larger.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »

Offline Nicoman

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 07:02:21 PM »
Many thanks everyone!

I will get those books.

Cheers!

Nico.

ruote

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 08:16:06 PM »
I took my V7R to the local Racetech affiliate.  They set the Rider Sag (with me aboard) from the original 24mm to 28mm.  This made a world of difference.  The rebound and compression adjustments now work properly; previously the shocks were stiff enough that there was little motion to adjust.  I may soften them up a little bit more.

There is now 20mm of threads showing above the adjustment ring.  Previously there was more (I don't know how much more). 

Measure in millimeters, the integers are much more convenient than fractions of inches.  Make a chart to keep track of your adjustments, and the results of your changes. 

:thumb: to the Racetech book, but get paper.  The pictures probably won't show up clearly on an E-reader screen.

Offline rbm

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 11:44:43 PM »
The Bitubos in the back have preload and compression adjustments.  I don't believe there is any rebound damping.  The front shocks are terrible damper rod designs - undersprung and overdamped.  Preload is adjusted by changing the spacer inside the fork legs.  Compression damping is achieved by varying the weight of oil used or maybe the level.  Springs are too light (0.74kg/mm) for heavier riders.  There are aftermarket valving and other remedies available for the forks that can be added to improve them.  I have recently installed Andreani cartridges in my V7's forks.  Unfortunately, it's the middle of winter here in the North and I can't get out to tune the bike's suspension.

For the Bitubo rear shocks, you'll want to set dynamic sag to about 38mm (114mm/3) by adjusting the preload adjuster.  Then dial in compression damping with the adjuster knob, starting with the "S" setting and increasing clicks until you get complaint performance without harshness.

+1 on Racetech's Suspension Bible.  I'd recommend also reading the following web pages and overdosing on as many Dave Moss videos as you can.  Don't get hung up on the sport bike theme. The theory is still the same for the V7.
http://www.sportrider.com/suspension-setup-guide
GSX-R600 setting sag Pt. 1
GSX-R600 setting sag Pt. 2
Suspension Bounce Technique
Dave Moss on Fork Oils
- Robert

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
1987 BMW K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 05:58:34 AM »
According the technical data sheet in German the rear shocks have compression and rebound adjustment at the V7 II Racer. Are they different from those in the V7 Racer?
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline rbm

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 06:24:14 AM »
My first generation V7 Racer only has one adjustment knob on the rear shock, on the top of the reservoir.  Maybe the shocks have changed with the newer models.  Sorry if I was misleading.
- Robert

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
1987 BMW K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca

Lank

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 08:27:47 AM »
if you want a softer ride then loosen the rear up some, your owners manual should have info to adjust...if it bottoms out then you are prob too soft.. The V7 is a "feet under the ass bike, like God intended", hence your knees are great shock absorbers for those few really rough spots

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 08:44:55 AM »
He's new and the books, while great stuff, may be too much at this point.  Maybe not.
Whatever you do only make one change at a time in the rear.  A day spent riding the same section of road to sort it out will pay big dividends in the end.  One way is to set everything in the middle of it's range and go from there.  You also should have received a separate small book from BiTuro on the shocks with some suggested settings to use.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Nicoman

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 10:13:27 AM »
Thanks for all the recommendations!

I'm already reading one of the books and watched a lot of Dave Moss's videos (interesting stuff)... having a lot of fun learning about this subject!

I realized that the V7 Racer is in every sense just a street bike with a sporty look (just what I wanted for my first bike), the suspension adjustments are quite slight, they're definitively not as radical than a sports bike. I believe this are not "performance" shocks at all, they're more like some decent commute shocks with adjustments to compensate for weight (not for performance).

I don't have the small Bitubo manual... weird.

One more thing: the Bitubo shocks have an adjustment knob at the top to set the compression damping, supposedly both shocks should have 12 positions or clicks, with mine I have 12 clicks in the right shock and and 9 clicks in the left... any idea how can I repair/adjust the left one to get those 12 clicks?

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 04:14:17 PM by Nicoman »

Offline pazzmore

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 05:16:48 PM »
Very dumb question... forgive me, but do we compress the springs or extend them for adding the extra weight of a passenger? I'm not sure what "preload" means and so increasing or decreasing doesn't make sense to me.

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 11:25:07 PM »
Preload is how much the spring is compressed when the shock is at full extension (wheel off the ground) compared to its free length. Preload is adjusted by a threaded nut or a stepped ring on the shock; shorten the length of the spring increases preload. Most shocks have some preload even at the lowest setting. Preload determines how much force/load is required before the shock shortens. But, sitting on the motorcycle is normally enough to compress the spring and shorten the shock; this is called sag. With greater preload sag is less.

When adding a passenger (or luggage) increase the preload by compressing the spring with the adjustor.

Dan
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 05:31:14 AM »
Preload is how much the spring is compressed when the shock is at full extension (wheel off the ground) compared to its free length. Preload is adjusted by a threaded nut or a stepped ring on the shock; shorten the length of the spring increases preload. Most shocks have some preload even at the lowest setting. Preload determines how much force/load is required before the shock shortens. But, sitting on the motorcycle is normally enough to compress the spring and shorten the shock; this is called sag. With greater preload sag is less.

When adding a passenger (or luggage) increase the preload by compressing the spring with the adjustor.

Dan
To tie it all together for Pazz, the more you compress a spring the more force it takes to hold it there. Or stated conversely the more force with which it is pushing back. So it supports more weight at the same ride height.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 05:31:35 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here