Author Topic: V7 Question  (Read 1223 times)

Offline darkstar1269

• New Egg
V7 Question
« on: April 20, 2017, 07:09:35 PM »
I am thinking about adding a sidecar to my 2015 V7, not really finding too much support out there beyond DMC Sidecars. Anyone have any advise or suggestions? (I know that questions is opening a can of worms here).

Thanks,
Matt

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 Question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 07:45:52 PM »
My advise is call Claude Stanley at Freedom Sidecars and have a discussion with him about what you want.

If you are thinking a rig is going to set you back a couple thousand dollars don't even make the call. I recently spent $4,000 dollars getting a $800 Velorex 562 married to my $3,800 DR650. Lots of custom work was done and did not include anything cosmetic.  My rig performs well beyond what I expected.

Sure you can find $1,200 "universal" sidecars on the internet but they are not even remotely quality nor are they universal.

Not trying to deter you, only to educate you. I have been toying with the idea of hacking my V7R but the narrow bar width would be a killer.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline darkstar1269

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 07:49:25 PM »
I was thinking based on research in the 6K arena, safety first! Bars are a shortcoming for sure and there is little to no room for a simply adding a wider one for sure. Thanks for the tip though, I will look him up!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 07:49:54 PM by darkstar1269 »

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »
I was thinking based on research in the 6K arena, safety first! Bars are a shortcoming for sure and there is little to no room for a simply adding a wider one for sure. Thanks for the tip though, I will look him up!

Safety is sort of a relative term to me IMHO as hacks are far more hazardous to operate verses 2 wheels especially if you are not paying attention. Lots of guys look at sidecars as a way to extend their riding years because they don't have to hold the bike up when stopped. This is the only thing a hack does more safely than motorcycles. Once moving they are always doing something to fight you.

-Throttle on, pulling left
-Throttle closed and/braking, pulling right
-Turn right, hack wants to fly over the tug
-Turn left, rear wheel wants to unload and fly over the front of the bike
-Riding down the road you are always counter steering to the left to keep the rig going straight. You quickly realize that operating a sidecar take a lot of upper body strength and until you get some hours in the saddle and conditioning they are exhausting.

Your 6K budget might hold up if you find a used hack for around $1,000 - $1,500 ish. If you go for a new hack I'd consider nothing lower than a Velorex as far as quality. The eBay no name specials should be avoided as they are truly junk. So a new Velorex is $3,000 + shipping. It comes w/ "universal" mounting hardware but it may need modified to work. A sub frame for the tug is always a good idea as it gives you the ability to locate mounting points where they should be and also ties both side of the frame together for more structural support. This all starts adding up quickly.

Hacks are great fun and I am happy with pile of money I spent on mine.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:43:44 PM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 10:48:49 AM »
Ain't that the truth.  I hacked a 2009 Bonnie-what a learning curve that was.
And everything mentioned about steering the thing is spot on.  After a while I learned that the front end will give you a world class workout after 300 miles-with 300 to go!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 05:30:19 AM »
If you're looking for a hack, check out your local race tracks to see if/when there's a sidecar class.  Those guys will know what's available or easy to do.

I'm lucky, and up in Laconia they have one or two sidecar races during the week of the rally.  Great time!
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 08:34:47 AM »
Ain't that the truth.  I hacked a 2009 Bonnie-what a learning curve that was.
And everything mentioned about steering the thing is spot on.  After a while I learned that the front end will give you a world class workout after 300 miles-with 300 to go!

When I built the JackAll rig, I put a Unit leading link front end on it.. and.. electric lean on the car. I could trim it for hands off at any speed or crown of the road (within reason) and the steering effort was light. Of course, all that costs money and no small amount of engineering/labor.
That said..
-Throttle on, pulling left
-Throttle closed and/braking, pulling right
-Turn right, hack wants to fly over the tug
-Turn left, rear wheel wants to unload and fly over the front of the bike
is spot on.
The *real* killer, though.. is when you are getting comfortable with it for the first time and unknowingly lift the sidecar wheel off the ground on a right hander. It is now a two wheeled vehicle and *countersteers.* It'll dart across the centerline in a heart beat.
It takes considerable practice to "unlearn" motorcycle riding habits that have been ingrained for years.  :smiley:

Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here