Author Topic: V7 Ohlins shocks  (Read 3412 times)

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
V7 Ohlins shocks
« on: October 08, 2017, 08:18:28 AM »
http://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/ohlins-v7-shocks/

Finally, Ohlins S36PL shocks for your �09-current V7 I & II (All models). No damping adjustment options � nor can they be had with them. Order and we will be in touch for your weight details.

No damping adjustments?   Seriously?    Why would anyone spend $999 on a pair of shocks w/o damping adjustment?

So, are the ones that come on the V7 III Racer not adjustable either?

I'm asking these questions, because, I'm looking to upgrade the Bitubos on my Racer.    My Ohlins-equipped Ducati and BMW F800GT having spoiled me.    As I'm still recovering from lumbar fusion surgery, riding either of my V7s on rough rode can be quite literally painful, esp. if I don't see the a quick dip in the road and get off the seat in time.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:20:41 AM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline AZRider

• Hatchling
Re: V7 Ohlins shocks
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:41:04 AM »
Give a call to my boss, Jim Hamlin at Hamlin Cycles, (203) 942-2232. He has been working with the team at Ohlins USA for decades. They build shocks for him to his specifications frequently (he got into a dust-up with the Motus guys because he got a custom shock made for a Motus that transformed its ride to a true sport bike and told them that they ought to try it) and he has a formula worked out for the V7 series.

Just be very clear that you are looking for a more plush ride to protect your spine, since most of the people who come to us for V7 suspension work are go-fast guys.

We also have other options less expensive than Ohlins that we should be able to get made for your needs that will be less racer-harsh than the Bitubos.
Trying out the motorcycle life from the other side of the counter.

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 08:59:45 AM »
Give a call to my boss, Jim Hamlin at Hamlin Cycles, (203) 942-2232. He has been working with the team at Ohlins USA for decades. They build shocks for him to his specifications frequently (he got into a dust-up with the Motus guys because he got a custom shock made for a Motus that transformed its ride to a true sport bike and told them that they ought to try it) and he has a formula worked out for the V7 series.

Just be very clear that you are looking for a more plush ride to protect your spine, since most of the people who come to us for V7 suspension work are go-fast guys.

We also have other options less expensive than Ohlins that we should be able to get made for your needs that will be less racer-harsh than the Bitubos.

I called about 10 days ago and I'm still waiting a call back to discuss options for the V7 III Special without remote reservoir. Jim did work on the forks prior to taking delivery, emulators, and I like the results. Now it's time to get the rear sorted. I'll follow up with a call tomorrow.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:03:03 AM by roadscum »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 09:00:56 AM »
Jay, Hamlins is probably the way to go, but let me add one thing. You've recently ridden Harleys with primitive stock suspensions that didn't hurt your back and handled well, so it's not the presence or lack of adjustable rebound/compression damping that is necessarily going to make the difference.

Just saying.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 09:00:56 AM »

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 09:08:44 AM »
Jay, Hamlins is probably the way to go, but let me add one thing. You've recently ridden Harleys with primitive stock suspensions that didn't hurt your back and handled well, so it's not the presence or lack of adjustable rebound/compression damping that is necessarily going to make the difference.

Just saying.

Before ya can make an adjustment to rebound and dampening ya gotta have something to adjust. I've had shocks that were not adjustable but were custom built(springs and valves) for my needs and they worked very well.

Paul

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 09:12:22 AM »
I put RaceTech shocks on my V7 (2013).  As I recall the shocks were about $600.  The RT shocks (G3-S) have adjustment for rebound but not for compression.  The key is to get the shim stack correct in the first place...that is done by RT so compression dampening is correct for your riding style.  I thought their initial setup was still too harsh so I sent the shocks back to have the shim stack adjusted, they did the adjustment for free.  It appears that GuzziTech no longer sells RT products.  I suspect Jim Hamlin can get RT stuff.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 09:30:33 AM »
Before ya can make an adjustment to rebound and dampening ya gotta have something to adjust. I've had shocks that were not adjustable but were custom built(springs and valves) for my needs and they worked very well.

Paul

I'm puzzled by the point of the first sentence. But the second is basically supporting my original point.

I'll go further and point out the majority of the bikes on the road don't have damping adjustments, just preload and sure that likely means they're no perfect for an amateur road racer, but they work fine for most people. I don't know that Jay's needs are much more demanding other than from a comfort standpoint, but even there I suspect he'll be fine with a quality shock that's set-up for his weight/application.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 09:52:20 AM »
Jim's most likely still away an his fall bike trip. 9 or 10 days IIFC.
He had custom Ohlins made for my V7 and I have all the adjustment ever needed including damping.
Jim knows his stuff, that's for sure.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 10:37:14 AM »
AF1 Racing seems to have Matris shocks for the V7 III that may do the trick for me..... in chrome!!!  A  little spendy but priced below what appears to be the same offering from GT guy.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=3087

Paul

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 11:19:05 AM »
Hamlin told me he had some good result with a K something or other shock, too.
On another note, the BiTubo offerings are so far behind the Ohlins it's not funny-or unexpected for the $$$$$$.

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 12:24:40 PM »
Another BIG PLUS for Jim Hamlin. The Ohlins on my 3 series Racer are excellent. Adjustment is stupid easy. The K-Tech front end needs  fiddling this week.  R3~ 

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 03:25:08 PM »
I'm puzzled by the point of the first sentence. But the second is basically supporting my original point.

I'll go further and point out the majority of the bikes on the road don't have damping adjustments, just preload and sure that likely means they're no perfect for an amateur road racer, but they work fine for most people. I don't know that Jay's needs are much more demanding other than from a comfort standpoint, but even there I suspect he'll be fine with a quality shock that's set-up for his weight/application.

If you only ride smooth roads and aren't too aggressive in the corners you can get away with non adjustable shocks.  If the shocks are set up for bumpy roads then they will be too soft when you get into the curves and you will find the bike wallowing.  My FZ-07 is definitely on the soft side so I have to be careful not to upset the suspension when I am riding. 

I would never buy an aftermarket shock that didn't have adjustability.  My triumph trophy spoiled me with electronic suspension.  See a nice set of curves up ahead, go to sport mode.  Droning down a highway, go to comfort mode.  You can adjust it on the fly. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 03:46:54 PM »
If you only ride smooth roads and aren't too aggressive in the corners you can get away with non adjustable shocks.  If the shocks are set up for bumpy roads then they will be too soft when you get into the curves and you will find the bike wallowing.

Nope, I completely reject this as subjective dribble. [emoji6]

No seriously, there are too many absolutes there for that to possibly be "true".
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:22:35 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 04:14:04 PM »
My wife feels her Icons from MG offer a big improvement from the stock torture rack on her V7.

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 07:37:48 PM »
Give a call to my boss, Jim Hamlin at Hamlin Cycles, (203) 942-2232. He has been working with the team at Ohlins USA for .....

Thanks, I'll definitely reach out to him!

My wife feels her Icons from MG offer a big improvement from the stock torture rack on her V7.

I have the $400ish Ikons on my V7 Special.    While they're a huge improvement over the stock ones, they're still a bit harsh for my post-surgical lumbar spine.   

The forward lean riding position of the racer (with clippings lowered another 1.3 inches to clear the Record fairing) makes the Racer better than the special, as harsh bumps are not transmitted directly up through the spine. 

That said, I'm disappointed in the Bitubo shocks, esp. considering the price.   

I do realize that there is only so much that can be done with a short travel twin shock suspension.   My only fear is spending $600-$1000 on new shocks only to find out that no matter how good of shocks I put on a V7, it's not going to be good enough for my back.   

Given that there are only a few months left before winter ends our riding season here, and my ongoing Eldorado project is still costing me money, I might be best deferring this upgrade until spring, and see how my back is doing then.    I just had my 6 month follow up with the surgeon.  He assures me that I'm still recovering and that it will definitely get much better over the next six months or so.

Prior to much surgery, the Ikons on my Special and even the Bitubos on the Racer were good enough for my needs.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:52:38 PM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 08:01:38 PM »
If the shocks don't work for your back I'd think there are plenty of owners on this board who's buy them.  Most of us concede the stock offerings are less than ideal.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 08:22:05 PM »
Nope, I completely reject this as subjective dribble. [emoji6]

No seriously, there are too many absolutes there for that to possibly be "true".

You have the freedom to do that.  I will not spend money on shocks that I can't tailor for the ride.  Might as well just run the OEM shocks and deal with the compromises.  That is my opinion.  :bike-037:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 08:48:50 PM »
You have the freedom to do that.  I will not spend money on shocks that I can't tailor for the ride.  Might as well just run the OEM shocks and deal with the compromises.  That is my opinion.  :bike-037:
Fair enough. Wants need not be explained.

Though as a multi-time Sportster owner, trust me there's a world of better available on some bikes without needing to go to full adjustability. [emoji6]
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here