Author Topic: Insulated gloves  (Read 3794 times)

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
Insulated gloves
« on: October 12, 2019, 10:00:11 PM »
Rode home tonight in the first cool weather of the season! Fun fun fun.  Temp was prolly high 50’s but I did notice my hands getting cold at 75mph on the EV.  I wear aerostich Elkskin roper gloves that are not insulated.  I’m thinking about prying loose 135.00 bucks from the Mrs.’s pursestrings and get the insulated merino gauntlets. Any input on insulated gloves welcome.  I do not have heated grips
1994 California 1100

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Insulated gloves
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 05:28:06 AM »
I've the unlined gauntlets as well as the ropers. The leather on the ropers is thicker than on the gauntlets and cuts the wind better, but the ropers are too short for winter cold - the wrists aren't protected.  I fit electric glove liners under the gauntlets and that works well. I've an idea that I'd still use the liners even with the merino-lined gauntlets. Once you're used to the visor squeegee on the thumb, you don't want it anywhere else, and Aerostich seem to be the only one who do that. I'd try the lined gauntlets, but be prepared to save some sheckles for powered-by-the-bike gloves liners. Once tried, you'll never go back.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 05:42:16 AM »
Hand guards to keep the wind off ($25 to $40 off Amazon) and Oxford electric heated grips ($89.99 off Amazon) and you set up for toast warm hands.

The Oxfords are dead simpy to wire up. Attach two ring terminals to the battery to power the controller then plugh the grips intot he pigtails from the controller. The real nice thing about Oxfords is you do not need to wire to a keyed power source. If you forget to turn them off they wil shut off automatically in a munite or two of the key being turned off. If the controller does not sense any electrical "noise" it'll shut down.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 07:55:01 AM »
I thought about heated grips but don’t want to tax the charging system. I guess they don’t draw much. Hand guards on a EV ? Hummmm
1994 California 1100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 07:55:01 AM »

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 08:18:07 AM »
Rode home tonight in the first cool weather of the season! Fun fun fun.  Temp was prolly high 50’s but I did notice my hands getting cold at 75mph on the EV.  I wear aerostich Elkskin roper gloves that are not insulated.  I’m thinking about prying loose 135.00 bucks from the Mrs.’s pursestrings and get the insulated merino gauntlets. Any input on insulated gloves welcome.  I do not have heated grips

You consider cool weather in the high 50's ? If thats the case heated grips (or gloves) and some sort of hand guards are going to be a must if you plan to do any riding in cold weather.

I ride year round with the temps in the mid 30's using a Plexistar windscreen and a pair of winter Held Gloves. I might have a different tolerance for cold as I wear Held Airstreams into the mid 40's.

Good luck!
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 08:33:27 AM »
I put hand guards on my 1400 but when it’s cold I couldn’t tell much if any difference. Good insulated or heated gloves is the fix.

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 08:56:39 AM »
I tried going cheap and riding with ski gloves when I was a kid, but the lack of feel made relaxing my grip impossible and my forearms would fatigue in an hour. I bought a nice pair of winter gloves, but unless it is under 40 they make my hands sweat. After many years in Portland where it didn't get cold enough to bother, i now live where I need a little help, and the Stelvio has hand guards and heated grips. The grips are nice when temps are below 45 or my arthritis is acting up, but the lack of airflow from the guards really makes a difference. I can comfortably wear my summer gloves. I don't like the hand guards in the summer; I left them on this year, but will propably remove them next year to keep my hands cooler.

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 09:05:37 AM »
Hand guards to keep the wind off ($25 to $40 off Amazon) and Oxford electric heated grips ($89.99 off Amazon) and you set up for toast warm hands.

The Oxfords are dead simpy to wire up. Attach two ring terminals to the battery to power the controller then plugh the grips intot he pigtails from the controller. The real nice thing about Oxfords is you do not need to wire to a keyed power source. If you forget to turn them off they wil shut off automatically in a munite or two of the key being turned off. If the controller does not sense any electrical "noise" it'll shut down.

Yep, I put the Stelvio hand guards on my bike 4 years ago and the Oxford heated grips 3 years ago. Those two work together to keep my hands warm.

I also ride with a HotWired heated jacket under my leather jacket, a balaclava, and a Laminar Lip on my 1200 Sport fairing. With those five, I can ride in above freezing temperatures with no problem. In fact, last night I was pondering "should I buy the HotWired gloves?" I don't think I need them. I ride mostly for enjoyment, not to get from point A to B...I have a car for that. . So if I'm bundled up with so much clothing, it's not enjoyable anymore. When the "Enjoyment Factor" and I'm just trying to brave the elements, the enjoyment is gone, I don't ride.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 09:07:20 AM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline calfruit

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 10:19:30 AM »
Lee Parks——best all around glove out there, in my opinion
Expensive but worth it

lee parks design.com/deersports-pci/

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 10:51:01 AM »
I really like my Held Freezer gloves.  The knuckles are stitched with folded panels so your hands don’t get tired gripping the bars.  A nice wrist gauntlet you can cinch to keep out the cold and a zipper that expands the cuff when you have a big jacket.  They’re tough too.  I’ve worn them skiing and they’re far warmer than most ski gloves.

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 11:19:45 AM »
I sound like a wimp lol.  No I’m a all year rider! I’m good down to the 30’s ambient BUT I didn’t have the goose this time last year.  I don’t remember my cold weather riding with this bike the first time I owned it. 
1994 California 1100

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 11:26:24 AM »
As above, hand guards and Oxford grips. For gloves you can't beat ski gloves and I suppose the snowmobile guys have good gloves too. I normally ski in insulated work gloves but when it's really cold I use Swany X-cell gloves -- about $110 on line, but much more expensive in ski shops.

These last me five to eight winters of teaching skiing, and when they begin to show wear on the palms I retire them to the motorcycle.

70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 12:18:12 PM »
I hate insulated gloves and the loss of dexterity associated with them. I use heated grips and if it gets really bad I add handlebar muffs/Hippo hands. These make the heated grips about 10x more effective and also prevent wind from blowing up your jacket sleeves.

The down side is that your bike should have hand guards/wind deflectors in place before adding the handlebar muffs/Hippo hands. If not, wind pressure will push them back into the brake/clutch levers.

My muffs came from Storm Industries and they were worth every nickel. http://www.stormind.net/store.html

With this set-up I wear Competition ropers all year 'round.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 02:12:57 PM »
What ever cheap leather gloves that keep my hands dry and warm are Okay.  I don't worry about fore-arm fatigue as I used to strangle hogs in a jewish slaughterhouse.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Bert Remington

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 03:13:54 PM »
To begin, I have sweaty hands.  10 minutes after donning nitrile gloves, my hands are dripping.

I have the Aerostich elkskin gauntlets and merino wool insulated elkskin gauntlets, both natural.  I also have Milwaukee Leather rechargable-battery electrically-heated gauntlets with spare batteries.  I went with battery gloves because I didn't want the bike-powered dangling cords around my brake and clutch levers.

I removed the previous owner's handguards.  They didn't seem to provide any benefit and were ugly to boot.

Aerostich of course is superb quality.  The wool gauntlets work well with the Norge's heated handlegrips and provide satisfactory grip and feel ... for a Norge.  I haven't tried them in the rain.  If you choose this path, order an extra large size.  Dry they were a close fit for me.  After removing them for gas refill etc,  they are very difficult to fit again because the wool is moist but that's on me.

Milwaukee Leather is good quality.  The batteries are easy to operate even while riding (three temperature levels).  They provide a bit more feel than the wool gauntlets.  They are a bit easier but not easy to fit again after riding than the wool gauntlets because the Thinsulate lining when moist tends to pull out but that's on me.  I've ridden them in mild rain and while my hands were wet they were warm too.

For warmth, I recommend you start with heated handgrips (I like Koso AM111030 for easy-of-use on my RE) to maintain grip and feel.  Then heated vest (battery-powered might not provide the BTUs you need so get bike-powered) to maintain core temperature.  And then gloves when heated handgrips aren't enough.  For sunny day fun ride wool insulated otherwise battery-powered.

If you go cheap on your helmet then go cheap on gloves.  Else stick with the good stuff like your Aerostich gloves.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2019, 03:15:22 PM »
As above, hand guards and Oxford grips. For gloves you can't beat ski gloves and I suppose the snowmobile guys have good gloves too. I normally ski in insulated work gloves but when it's really cold I use Swany X-cell gloves -- about $110 on line, but much more expensive in ski shops.

These last me five to eight winters of teaching skiing, and when they begin to show wear on the palms I retire them to the motorcycle.

When Fay and I were touring the country last fall (mid September), we were staying in a motel in West Yellowstone, and I had a look at the forecast.

Twenty-six degrees and chance of showers predicted for our next stop in Afton, WY, and I had my nice pair of wool-lined BMW-branded gauntlets and a spare pair of plain leather gloves, but I thought "What if these gloves get soaking wet AND it's freezing cold?   No more riding that day!"

So I happened to notice that the town of West Yellowstone is full of snowmobile shops, rental, and equipment places, so I stopped in one and bought a nice (well, I thought they were nice at $120 but maybe that's cheap in that world) pair of insulated Gore-Tex KLIM snowmobile gloves, with pre-curved fingers designed for snowmobiles.

Sure enough, when we got up the next morning in Afton, it was 26 degF right on the button and the gloves did a great job.  Of course, that evening, we were in Provo, UT and it was 86 degF ... what a country!

Lannis

"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2019, 03:51:39 PM »
Go to any Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas and pick up some "Hot Hands" packets.  If you're faced with a sudden drop in temperatures you can put them in your gloves, or your pax can put them in their jacket pockets to keep their hands warm. (Happy wife, happy life)  I usually keep a packet or two in my tank bag for emergency use.  They have some for cold toes too!

Online frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2019, 04:16:38 PM »
Go to any Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas and pick up some "Hot Hands" packets.  If you're faced with a sudden drop in temperatures you can put them in your gloves, or your pax can put them in their jacket pockets to keep their hands warm. (Happy wife, happy life)  I usually keep a packet or two in my tank bag for emergency use.  They have some for cold toes too!

Good suggestion, I use them a lot. Just be sure get new ones. I've tried to use older ones that I've had for years and they don't produce much heat.

As for cold weather gloves, I use a pair of suede gauntlet welding gloves that are big enough to put liners inside. Found a pair for the wife at Lowe's that were in the outdoors section for barbecuing! They were around $20 and you can get liners, wool or poly pro for around $10, so a lot cheaper than the high tech gloves.
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Offline Bud

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 06:32:38 PM »
     I bought a Warm n'safe jacket liner and gloves and love them. I think the gloves were $135.00 and quite honestly the gloves are super warm without being turned on. It might be worth buying the gloves alone and then you can power them down the road. You would have to go with Warm n'safe controls though. I have heated grips and they are nice but do nothing for the back of your hand.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2019, 07:12:56 PM »
Thinsulate - I'll never spend good money on gloves with this stuff ever again. In the shop they feel good. In the real world - over here when it's cold, it's usually also wet - they just don't work with wet hands.

I'm with Bud -

I bought a Warm n'safe jacket liner and gloves and love them. I think the gloves were $135.00 and quite honestly the gloves are super warm without being turned on. It might be worth buying the gloves alone and then you can power them down the road. You would have to go with Warm n'safe controls though. I have heated grips and they are nice but do nothing for the back of your hand.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 12:03:12 AM »
     I agree with the good wind protection, fairing, windscreen or hand guards help a lot.

I do have a set of heated Gerbings liner gloves, but I've had trouble fitting them inside other gloves and sometimes the wires were in a bad position and caused discomfort on pressure points, ie knuckles, they're a work in progress.

I picked up set of Tour Master Thinsulate Hipora fabric winter style gloves, they're bulky, but they're not bad; I don't like to wear them and usually wear one of my other gauntlet style gloves,,, but I always have the insulated gloves with me this time of year, just in case  :thumb:

I always have multi layers of wool and take special care to cover all exposed skin from cold wind this time of year,, if you can keep your core and especially your head warm, it can help with your hands as long as a cold wind isn't sucking all the warmth away,,, can you tell,,,I don't enjoy the ride if I'm freezing, lol  :laugh: fwiw ymmv

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 03:34:00 PM »
This is not a snarky reply, but if your hands are cold get an electric vest. You have to keep your core warm to keep your hands and feet warm. Someone can explain it better than me. The electric vest is the best motorcycle related item I've ever bought.
Try one,
Tex

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2019, 06:55:15 PM »
Lee Parks.  Only thing I've ever used that still transmits the front end feel.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 10:02:10 PM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Simon_London

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2019, 09:38:58 AM »
Don't laugh but these are a very cheap and effective way of keeping your hands warm and dry. They also stop wind up your cuffs.
I use them with Summer gloves with or withput heated grips depending on which bike I am riding. Dexterity is pretty good.

4K_Q" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-ARMY-MTP-OUTER-GORETEX-MITTENS-SIZE-MEDIUM-LARGE-BRAND-NEW-ECW/383198414610?hash=item593867c712:m:mIgSuxk_R4AA4mE_5Ti 4K_Q

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2019, 09:54:09 AM »

I don't like bulky gloves.  So, I use silk glove liners and my regular leather gloves.

The local BMW shop carriers Tour Master silk glove liners, but you can get them at Amazon and other places.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2019, 12:49:01 PM »
I'll say it again.  Lee Parks.  If you've never had them you're missing out.  Size M.  If you don't like them I'll buy them-I need a new pair!

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2019, 02:00:17 PM »
King - I thought those Lee Parks gloves were supposed to be indestructible - why are new ones needed? How long did it take to wear them out?

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2019, 02:25:50 PM »
When Fay and I were touring the country last fall (mid September), we were staying in a motel in West Yellowstone, and I had a look at the forecast.

Twenty-six degrees and chance of showers predicted for our next stop in Afton, WY, and I had my nice pair of wool-lined BMW-branded gauntlets and a spare pair of plain leather gloves, but I thought "What if these gloves get soaking wet AND it's freezing cold?   No more riding that day!"

So I happened to notice that the town of West Yellowstone is full of snowmobile shops, rental, and equipment places, so I stopped in one and bought a nice (well, I thought they were nice at $120 but maybe that's cheap in that world) pair of insulated Gore-Tex KLIM snowmobile gloves, with pre-curved fingers designed for snowmobiles.

Sure enough, when we got up the next morning in Afton, it was 26 degF right on the button and the gloves did a great job.  Of course, that evening, we were in Provo, UT and it was 86 degF ... what a country!

Lannis

I keep a pair of these rolled up in my tankbag for those types of days: 

https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gloves/rain-glove-covers/aerostich-triple-digit-covers.html 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2019, 07:11:01 PM »
I'll say it again.  Lee Parks.  If you've never had them you're missing out.  Size M.  If you don't like them I'll buy them-I need a new pair!
I have a pair of Lee Parks gloves but I don't like them. The lining bunches up when putting them on and the seams on the fingertips are lumpy and uncomfortable. Maybe the ones with the external seams would be better.

For me cold weather riding comfort = heated gloves plus heated grips.

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2019, 10:03:29 PM »
About 10 years.  My lining never bunched up. 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here