Author Topic: Cape to Cape..(probably go right ‘round…)….Again…  (Read 23545 times)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Cape to Cape..(to Cape..!)
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2021, 08:08:30 AM »
Bit of a slip of the pen there NCdan?

What an adventure! "I love you" go with you!
Post every night with pictures.
Are you going alone?

If someone can ride one of those things from Sydney to London, I'm sure it will make the Cape to Cape. Happy Trails.
Lmbo Stubbie I just caught that and yes it was definitely the reason one should proofread read what they type prior to hitting the SEND button! Well I must admin ole Pete is  a lovable guy, (meant in the proper way)👍

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Cape to Cape..(and back..)
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2021, 08:17:15 AM »
The theory that says I have a screw loose is gaining momentum, but if I may apply the hand brake to that speeding train for just a moment.
What are the REAL barriers to this venture ?
The only differences that I see in doing this on a CT110 versus a KTM1190 are these..
On the big bike you can carry more gear to offset some of the difficulties that motorcycle touring brings, but the size of the bike begins to attract issues of it’s own.
If you start off on the KTM 1190 and do 7 seat hours, you’ll stop and get off on a patch of dirt.
If you start off on the CT110 and do the 7 seat hours, you’ll stop and get off on a patch of dirt.
The eagle eyed among you will notice a subtle similarity. The difference is, on the little bike, you’ll do it for an extra 3 days.
Now, I’m no Professor Brian Cox but if my math is correct, that equates to an extra 3 days in paradise each way...
Can someone point out where the bad bit is ? :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
BTW
Here’s a video of my partner Ann, riding the unregistered beast home from my storage shed to start the prep.
https://youtu.be/14CfdjyXIFU
I almost spit my coffee out in horror when she met those cars while riding on the wrong side of the road! Then it dawned on me you guys do it that way. If I ever get to visit with you and ride, please don’t let me lead😂

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2021, 12:32:58 PM »
 Begging everyone's pardon - not totally askew, but.

I'd enjoy knowing the 'Hammer' and drive line in your rig? Fuel mileage - how many gallons carried? Average speed? How often you stop, for a break.
Given the 'hazards by wildlife', might you care to comment. 

I've pulled some doubles, (tandem tanks w/dolly converters), but mostly 6 axles . Your set-up has got to be a bitch in a cross wind.

Safe Travels,  R3~ 

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2021, 01:23:10 PM »
Begging everyone's pardon - not totally askew, but.

I'd enjoy knowing the 'Hammer' and drive line in your rig? Fuel mileage - how many gallons carried? Average speed? How often you stop, for a break.
Given the 'hazards by wildlife', might you care to comment. 

I've pulled some doubles, (tandem tanks w/dolly converters), but mostly 6 axles . Your set-up has got to be a bitch in a cross wind.

Safe Travels,  R3~
That particular one is Western Star...(usually in a Kenworth)
600 hp 6 cylinder, 13 litre turbo diesel.
16 forward gear manual Eaton Fuller Road Ranger gearbox.
Max allowable weight 65.5 tonne
Max length 26.5 metres
Approx 1,600 litres carried, safe range 2,000 km depending on load and topography
Mandatory breaks are..
Min. 15 minutes in 5 12 hrs. work
Min. 30 minutes in 8 hrs. work
Min. 60 mintes in 11 hrs work
Max 12 hrs. in ANY 24 hr period
Min 7 hrs. unbroken rest in ANY 24 hr period
Speed limited to 100 kph.. :wink:
B Doubles are better than semi’s in cross winds. The swaying of one the trailer in cross wind, is damped out to some degree by the other...(some “countersteering” involved... :evil:)
Wildlife...? Unavoidable...(hit them.. :sad:)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 01:30:35 PM by Huzo »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2021, 01:23:10 PM »

Offline Glawster

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2021, 01:35:53 PM »
It sounds like a marvelous trip Peter.  I look forward to following it.  Take care my friend.
Derek
1955 Falcone Sport
1973 V7 Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1955 Moto Parilla Turismo Special

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2021, 01:44:09 PM »
It sounds like a marvelous trip Peter.  I look forward to following it.  Take care my friend.
Derek
Thank you Derek and all the previous supporting comments, not one dissenting view... :bow: :thumb:
If I was keen before, I certainly am now.
I’m committed..(or at least I should be..)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2021, 04:15:11 AM »
Tank has been fitted properly, but I find I need a new tap. The main and reserve on the under seat tank have been spliced into one and fed into the tap.
The top tank will go into the other input on the tap.
One will have to be careful when filling up, because if the tap on the under seat tank is left on, the main tank will siphon into it and overflow...!
But anyway here is the progress so far..

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2021, 05:53:39 AM »
Huzo,
Nice powerful looking truck you drove. I started in the 60's driving a Mack with two sticks, 5 and 2, hauling cattle. I think I made a nickel a mile and it took all day and part of the night to get 500 miles. Then hauled rock with a Mack with 5 X4 trans with a 211hp.
The old joke was going up hill we'd walk in front of the Mack with a can of Alpo enticing the bulldog to make it up the hill.

Good luck on your Cape to Cape. I know you'll do it unlike so many that I call "goona do". All talk and no miles!.

Tex

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2021, 06:46:03 AM »
Huzo,
Nice powerful looking truck you drove. I started in the 60's driving a Mack with two sticks, 5 and 2, hauling cattle. I think I made a nickel a mile and it took all day and part of the night to get 500 miles. Then hauled rock with a Mack with 5 X4 trans with a 211hp.
The old joke was going up hill we'd walk in front of the Mack with a can of Alpo enticing the bulldog to make it up the hill.

Good luck on your Cape to Cape. I know you'll do it unlike so many that I call "goona do". All talk and no miles!.

Tex
A serious and sincere thankyou Tex.
You carry a fair bit of cred. in the eyes of people who know you and it is generally accepted that you are not a bullshit artist.
So if you’re taking me seriously, I feel more confident that I am not completely full of crap.... :bow: :thumb:

Offline Griso8V

• Hatchling
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2021, 05:29:15 PM »
Have a safe and fun trip!  I would love to be able to that.  I keep thinking that one day I would love to drive through Australia; I would have to drive since my lovely wife will not get on a motorcycle...
Keep us posted and send pics!
Good on you!
Tony

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2021, 06:06:29 PM »
Have a safe and fun trip!  I would love to be able to that.  I keep thinking that one day I would love to drive through Australia; I would have to drive since my lovely wife will not get on a motorcycle...
Keep us posted and send pics!
Good on you!
Tony
There’ll be photo’s, blogs and Go Pro.
Not to mention the odd humorous anecdote...

Online reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2021, 06:17:26 PM »
Huzo

If you make good time on the way up you could consider coming home via Cape Byron. That way you will have three of the four points done. Then when you have a free couple of weeks you can duck across to the north west cape and complete the set  :laugh:.

Steve

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2021, 06:33:49 PM »
Huzo

If you make good time on the way up you could consider coming home via Cape Byron. That way you will have three of the four points done. Then when you have a free couple of weeks you can duck across to the north west cape and complete the set  :laugh:.

Steve
Do you reckon I could...?

Online reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2021, 06:51:58 PM »
If you start off on the KTM 1190 and do 7 seat hours, you’ll stop and get off on a patch of dirt.
If you start off on the CT110 and do the 7 seat hours, you’ll stop and get off on a patch of dirt.

The above quote shows that you have discovered something about life that so many of us, including me, struggle with.
That is to live in the moment. Why should we rush through life trying to finish it by smoko.

Do you reckon I could...?

By the map it will add an extra 600 clicks or so. For me I try not to do the same road if I can. It gives me more variety. If you want to and it is something you would enjoy there is no reason why you could not do it. If you find the run up the hill is not doing it for you just ship the bike home.

If you get any critics you will find that they only normally ride to the local coffee shop. This is your journey and I am envious. It is easy to come up with a list of excuses why I could not do it.

Steve   

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2021, 07:06:05 PM »
Well, this should be a good read coming up Peter.

Safe travels.  I suspect many will be following your trip with interest. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online elrealistico

• Hatchling
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2021, 07:25:59 PM »
One day I'll do a long solo trip--when my working days are over, in a few (3-ish) years. I am fascinated with those panniers though, did you make them or buy  them?
2018 V7III Special
1978 T140V Bonneville
2004 EV Touring

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2021, 10:57:51 PM »
I almost spit my coffee out in horror when she met those cars while riding on the wrong side of the road! Then it dawned on me you guys do it that way. If I ever get to visit with you and ride, please don’t let me lead😂
Same here. Every time a car came around a corner.
That looks like a nice place to live, with all that greenery.

Dan
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2021, 11:41:24 PM »
One day I'll do a long solo trip--when my working days are over, in a few (3-ish) years. I am fascinated with those panniers though, did you make them or buy  them?
They were a legitimate purchase from the same manufacturer that makes them for Australia Post.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2021, 05:27:57 AM »
I had planned to leave on or about April 21.
This would have given me 5 weeks to do the trip, given that I have to be back by June 1 to go in for my shoulder surgery. Travelling in the latter part of April and into June is less than ideal from the point of view of the wet season.
It may be a better idea to take longer with the prep, and leave after the shoulder surgery.
I’m not looking forward to the shoulder job..(now if it had been on my head... :wink:).
Anyway....
Convalescing for 4 weeks in June and departing July 1, would mean I’d be travelling in the ideal part of the year and the rivers would be at their lowest, also I would not be operating up against a return deadline... :clock:
It irks me a bit  to set the departure back and have the start further away, but I think it will pay dividends.
Today after a bit of a thrash fest on the V85, I pulled the brakes out of the Honda and put the shoes over the wire brush and cleaned/greased the pivot points on the backing plate.
The sprockets and chain have gone in the bin and new ones are going on. I notice that the little bike is pulling a 15 tooth front sprocket whereas standard is 14. I’ll go with that as a replacement but no bigger.
Front tyre is ok but it’ll be getting a new rear, both will be coming off in Cairns to be replaced by semi knobby types.
The existing front tyre will be ok to get to Cairns, it’s only 3,000 k.

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2021, 06:41:56 AM »
Option 2 sounds like a sound plan Huzo.   I am certainly looking forward to the recount of the trip! 
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2021, 08:26:44 AM »
Dang, that sounds fun! :bow: I'm jealous of your ability to go off and ride wherever your heart desires. If I were Ann, I'd be asking where my little zip-zip was. How long was the ride home in for her in that video you posted? The area looked lovely with all the trees and twisties, and I could almost smell the eucalyptus.

We have two friends (not a couple, much to his chagrin) who went on a month long national and state park tour of Arizona and Utah, this last summer, on their Vespas. Her bike preformed superbly, whilst his was a turd (still is), and both were fresh off the showroom floor. When looking through the beautiful photo album he made for her, how I wish my Hubs and I could have gone when they suggested it. Alas, we have three kids still at home. :tongue:

We'll require you to use WG as your pre-ride and ride diary. Once you're on the road, if you skip a day and there will be hell to pay! :thewife: When you're all done, post a highlight video for our enjoyment.
:bike-037:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline leroy_can

• Hatchling
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2021, 09:55:35 AM »
 Gotta say I'm impressed with your adventure and agree option 2 has merits. You must have some serious miles or these bikes with your mail route, it's good to be so familiar with your ride. Your comment " stopped to close to night " resonates with me. Camping after dark can have you waking to surprises. 40+years ago me and my girlfriend took a trip to California far to late in the season so we trucked the bike as far as Nebraska where a young guy let us leave the truck. While still in the truck in the Black Hills of South Dakota we pulled into a campground in the dark but it was closed for the season. The washrooms were open and had power so we decided we would camp and if the owners showed up we could pay whatever the fee was. There were several "mounds" scattered thru the main camping area and we agreed on a spot. I started the truck to drive to the spot and my girlfriend said "That mound is a sleeping buffalo". Needless to say we sprung for a motel that night.
1973 XLCH cafe Shovester #1
1973 XLCH cafe Shovester #2
1971 Homemade cafe '08 XB12S motor 71 CH frame
2002 Buell M2 Cyclone
1987 LMIV SE 1400 conversion in progress

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2021, 12:28:48 PM »
 :grin:
Gotta say I'm impressed with your adventure and agree option 2 has merits. You must have some serious miles or these bikes with your mail route, it's good to be so familiar with your ride. Your comment " stopped to close to night " resonates with me. Camping after dark can have you waking to surprises. 40+years ago me and my girlfriend took a trip to California far to late in the season so we trucked the bike as far as Nebraska where a young guy let us leave the truck. While still in the truck in the Black Hills of South Dakota we pulled into a campground in the dark but it was closed for the season. The washrooms were open and had power so we decided we would camp and if the owners showed up we could pay whatever the fee was. There were several "mounds" scattered thru the main camping area and we agreed on a spot. I started the truck to drive to the spot and my girlfriend said "That mound is a sleeping buffalo". Needless to say we sprung for a motel that night.
:grin: :grin:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2021, 12:52:22 PM »
Dang, that sounds fun! :bow: I'm jealous of your ability to go off and ride wherever your heart desires. If I were Ann, I'd be asking where my little zip-zip was. How long was the ride home in for her in that video you posted? The area looked lovely with all the trees and twisties, and I could almost smell the eucalyptus.

We have two friends (not a couple, much to his chagrin) who went on a month long national and state park tour of Arizona and Utah, this last summer, on their Vespas. Her bike preformed superbly, whilst his was a turd (still is), and both were fresh off the showroom floor. When looking through the beautiful photo album he made for her, how I wish my Hubs and I could have gone when they suggested it. Alas, we have three kids still at home. :tongue:

We'll require you to use WG as your pre-ride and ride diary. Once you're on the road, if you skip a day and there will be hell to pay! :thewife: When you're all done, post a highlight video for our enjoyment.
:bike-037:
Thanks GG.
Did you like the photo I took of the sign outside your B&B...?

Considering the bike is currently unregistered, it seemed like a long way... :copcar:
In reality, about 30 km. That section is about 3 minutes from home and yes, the smell of eucalyptus is very strong. The place is called Koala Park and is aptly named.
The time when you can leave your kids home alone is speeding towards you, keep the desire and be ready when the time comes. I reckon it’s a bit like looking at something a long way ahead like a mountain, it seems to just sit there and never get any closer and just when you feel like you’re not getting anywhere...?
BANG...!
It’s at your doorstep.
Time is like distance, the rate at which it approaches feels exponential, the closer it gets the faster it appears. Before you know it the kids’ll be saying to you and Hubs...”Get on your bikes and get to buggery, we’re sick of you both under our feet....”
Stay happy, healthy and keen... :thumb:
BTW..
Last night I was talking to Serena Powis in London and she was saying that they were visiting a certain Nathan Millward, who just happens to be the bloke who decided..
 ON FOUR DAYS NOTICE...!
To ride his CT110 exactly the same as mine, home to London from Sydney. To me that beggars belief, but it’s an indisputable documented fact.. he now runs organised CT 110 postie bike tours and rides the same bike around in North Devon where he lives.
The beaut thing about his epic is that he was nervous, unsure, unprepared, underprepared and clueless as to what he was about to do, but just got on the bike wearing an open face helmet, old coat, welders gloves ,rubber boots and just said **** it..!
I’m going.
The lovely thing is too, that he didn’t claim it gave him any insight into the meaning of life or anything so hedonistic, he just said that it was a bloody long way and riding into London at the end of it all, you realise that you still get abused for not giving way...
You’re nothing special.. Sort of puts it all back into perspective..
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 01:11:37 PM by Huzo »

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2021, 02:30:37 PM »
Peter,
Get yourself a portable battery bank, 15000mah for charging phones,tablets etc, charge it while you are riding.
Mobil phone, who are you with? I found on my trip to NT via nth QLD that optus has snuck into a lot of smaller communities, Telstra isnt always available, neither work well 30 mins out of town, get a phone  that can handle 2 sims, one of each.
Pick up an epirb or other gps beacon just in case, because mobils are a paperweight out of town.
Fit a throttle lock, its nice to be able to get feeling back into your throttle hand every now and then.
Carry at least 6 litres of water.
Get off the road by 4 pm (roo oclock).
Enjoy, sounds like an epic trip.
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2021, 02:58:01 PM »
Peter,
Get yourself a portable battery bank, 15000mah for charging phones,tablets etc, charge it while you are riding.
Mobil phone, who are you with? I found on my trip to NT via nth QLD that optus has snuck into a lot of smaller communities, Telstra isnt always available, neither work well 30 mins out of town, get a phone  that can handle 2 sims, one of each.
Pick up an epirb or other gps beacon just in case, because mobils are a paperweight out of town.
Fit a throttle lock, its nice to be able to get feeling back into your throttle hand every now and then.
Carry at least 6 litres of water.
Get off the road by 4 pm (roo oclock).
Enjoy, sounds like an epic trip.
Here’s a funny thing about all this Pete..
When I’m in Europe on my Norge, I tend to carry everything I can to forestall the possibility of being stuck or inconvenienced and that philosophy has served me well over the years.
This one “feels” different though..
I admit that I don’t relish the thought of being stuck somewhere, but being on a relatively minuscule bike with comparatively small amount of gear, I am not gripped with the gnawing gut feeling that if something goes wrong, I am in a world of trouble..
Also, I have to be mindful of the carrying capacity from a weight and space perspective. I can fully envisage that at some point, the bike will be in a trailer being ferried into town, or secreted behind someone’s shop while I wait for some part to be delivered.
As for the charge thing..
The small voltage converter allows me access to full time 12V supply, so I can have the i pad at 100% continually.
On this trip I don’t really need a GPS, you simply cannot get lost. The route to Cairns is very straightforward and there  are only two ways to get to Cape York from there.
I have done it in my 4WD Hilux.
The GPS is primarily to give distance information to overnight stops. Right now I am with Optus, but I like the idea of a Telstra sim as you suggest. As I mentioned earlier, I want this trip to be stripped back to basics as much as possible.

Update..
Yesterday I fitted a new o ring chain and sprockets and a rear tyre, $47 for a new Michelin was a nice change..
It will be coming off along with the front one in Cairns which is “only” 3,000 k’s. The dirt tyres are going on from there. I pulled the brakes out, wire brushed the shoes and roughed up the drum a bit, also greased the pivot spindles.
The front sprocket options for the CT are 14 or 15, trying to adapt taller gearing for lower rev’s is BS...
Oh BTW.
I had a long phone conversation with another old WG member who is gearing up to rendezvous somewhere along the track for the trip..
Whoops..I almost forgot to mention his name..Oh sorry no I didn’t forget but I’ll bet y’all can’t guess, I’ll leave my PR department to field the calls, his mechanical skills will be invaluable... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Can’t say too much, details are sketchy as we go to press...(you know what paparazzi can be like... :wink:)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 03:34:49 PM by Huzo »

Offline Blue Mountains 57

• New Egg
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2021, 02:43:10 AM »
I can't believe no-one commented on the song playing on your video, The Orange and the Green!!! I haven't heard that for about 40 years!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2021, 04:09:48 AM »
I can't believe no-one commented on the song playing on your video, The Orange and the Green!!! I haven't heard that for about 40 years!
That is on a CD I burned for Ann, the girl on the Honda.
Her parents are Irish.

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2021, 12:46:51 PM »
'Alone' [never realley alone is good] totally dig it ,but have to admit for me Alone with my BEST Sozia of all ,is very prime aswell.
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2021, 01:42:20 PM »
'Alone' [never realley alone is good] totally dig it ,but have to admit for me Alone with my BEST Sozia of all ,is very prime aswell.
Some people live in the city and are still alone.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here