General Category > General Discussion

WOW this guy can really ride a V85

<< < (2/4) > >>

twowheeladdict:

--- Quote from: Ncdan on January 20, 2022, 08:07:12 PM ---At one point I was very critical of these “Adventure Bikes” and due to an extensive amount of trail riding and motocross racing as a young man, I felt they were much to heavy for any serious trail riding, as I rode a Honda XL250.
Then after watching several Utube videos of guys riding the new HD, BMW m, MG and other heavy adventure bikes,  I have admitted to myself that the issue was not the bikes weight.
It was I simply was not near as good of a rider as these guys on the heavy duel sport bikes of today.
This being admitted, I’m still not convinced they make a great 500 mile day touring machine.
However I could also be wrong about that one too🤔

--- End quote ---

It does take more strength to ride these bikes at that level than a light bike.  Guys at that skill level usually work out as well. 

I'm also pretty sure they honed their skills on lighter bikes or even trials bikes. 

LowRyter:
I don't think I'd want to purchase that bike used. 

john fish:

--- Quote from: Ncdan on January 20, 2022, 08:07:12 PM ---At one point I was very critical of these “Adventure Bikes” . . . I’m still not convinced they make a great 500 mile day touring machine.
However I could also be wrong about that one too🤔

--- End quote ---

The most comfortable ergonomics on the road, good wind protection, torquey engine, comfortable suspension.  I think the ADV bikes are ugly as original sin, but are the most versatile and capable machines on the market right now.  Think of them as UJMs but better.  I wouldn't use one like the guy in the video did because I don't have that kind of skill, but I use my KLR on all manners of pavement, dirt, and gravel.

500 mile day on pavement?  No problem for a V85tt.  1000 miles and I'd probably be happier on a Norge or modern Eldo.  But for everyday commuting or exploring, the ADV bike wins.  And you can pose outside of Starbucks with all the GS guys, too.

9fingers:
I am a trials rider, former mostly but will likely pick it back up this year. I was ranked 2nd in NY state in the vintage series in 2008, my last year of competition. The guy in the vid is clearly a really good rider but those obstacles were really pretty easy and other than the rock pile in the beginning they were all straight shots. But he does make the bike look pretty light. I don't think I would, but I probably could, do that stuff on my V Strom. But it wouldn't be fun. I test rode a V85 a few months ago and it is a more nimble bike than a V strom and it feels lighter, and it is a bit shorter. You guys have probably seen the vids of Toni Bou and Tarres and some other guys, riding absurd stuff on GS1250s and Africa twins, and it is truly insane. But these guys are the best riders in the world.  Cool vid, thanks for posting.
Scott

rtbickel:
With what appears to be the stock bash plate too.  A braver soul than I.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version