Author Topic: tips drilling concrete pls  (Read 8974 times)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
tips drilling concrete pls
« on: March 14, 2015, 03:00:33 PM »
Hey folks-

I bought a front tire cradle and have to mount it to the floor in my garage. I have limited space and would really like the ability to remove and stow the hardware when not in use. Is there such a thing as a threaded insert for concrete anchors?

I've never had much luck drilling concrete. Then again, I haven't used a hammer drill. Guess I could rent one. The holes are for 5/16 or 3/8 fasteners.  Any thoughts?
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

oldbike54

Re: tips drilling concrete pls
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 03:04:59 PM »
 Jonathon , yes , a hammer drill is necessary . Drill the hole slightly oversize and glue a conventional insert into the hole with either a high quality epoxy or surface bonding cement . Use water to lube and keep the hole clean as you are drilling .

Dusty
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 03:06:12 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 03:10:14 PM »
Hilti "drop in" anchors.

If you cannot find them locally or they are cost prohibitive I'll send you what you need + the set tool. Cover shipping.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 03:12:37 PM »
I am not a hammer drill expert, so I don't use one.  I have used masonry bits to drill limited numbers of small holes like what you need (wrong tool for the job and eats up the bit, but it should work for 4 holes).  Yes, there are several styles of threaded anchors designed for insertion in concrete/brick/cinderblock.  Ask the guy at tru-value what he'd use.

Another alternative is to use an air hammer to knock a larger hole in the floor and then bed in the anchors.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 03:12:37 PM »

Offline delrod

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 03:16:44 PM »
These would be my choice and a rented/borrowed hammer drill. 3/8 anchors would require 1/2 hole and these anchors should be available at any decent outlet maybe even home depot. Save the picture on the smart phone show it around somebody will have some those are the kind of thing I often had loose in my pocket

http://www.confast.com/products/drop-in-anchor.aspx
Doug in Pittsburg KS
2003EVT

Asylum

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 03:29:34 PM »
i agree on the "drop in " anchors. What's good about them is when your done you don't have the anchor sticking out of the slab like conventional ones.

If you chose to go the with regular anchors, the epoxy method works great like  Oldbike54 mentioned.

At work, I have used the threaded bolt type ones, but it loses strength every time you unscrew it and reuse.    
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 03:30:39 PM by Asylum »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 03:55:48 PM »
 I have drilled a billion holes in poured concrete so I guess I'm an expert at something  ;D Hammer drill or dedicated rock drill motors are rotary percussion. .. Yes drop in steel anchors. Drill the hole to the required depth,blow out the dust,and not into your eyes ;D.Drop in the anchor and set it with one firm blow with a heavy hammer on the anchor setting tool.And you do need a setting tool  to match the anchor style...If you can fit in a 1/2 bolt into the frame then use the larger size. Sounds like you should do some practice holes and setting a few anchors.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 04:20:48 PM »
I have drop in anchors in my garage floor that hold down my tire changer, works great.

Yes on the Hammer drill-go rent one. It'll be worth it. No water needed suck dust with shop vac.

The Delrod and I have done more than our share of this, I gar-on-tee ;D
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 04:29:38 PM »
 One question , will the drop in anchors resist twisting out every time the bolts are removed ? The reason I suggested using water was because of the size of the wholes , helps preserve the bits . All of the above methods will probably work , do what feels comfortable .

Dusty

MotoGoosy

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 04:32:22 PM »
Yes, SDS drill.  Will drill those holes in less than 5 minutes.  Got one in the garage I'm not using.  Too bad you're not in San Diego.  I'd do it for ya.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
One question , will the drop in anchors resist twisting out every time the bolts are removed ? The reason I suggested using water was because of the size of the wholes , helps preserve the bits . All of the above methods will probably work , do what feels comfortable .

Dusty

The anchors need to be set in with a punch, they won't twist. Today's bits will drill a BUNCH a holes, rebar won't even kill 'em

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 05:05:12 PM »
The anchors need to be set in with a punch, they won't twist. Today's bits will drill a BUNCH a holes, rebar won't even kill 'em

Well OK then .

Dusty

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 05:34:43 PM »
Yep, Hilti for me too.  Used them when building a wire factory.  Lost count of the number of holes drilled and anchors set.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 05:39:07 PM »
 Drilling overhead with a 5/8 drill for 1/2 inch drop ins the bit would last several days depending on concrete. Older stuff being a lot harder than 6 month old stuff. Always keep moderately  heavy pressure on the drill motor.. Feel and listen ,if it's drilling smoothly and then bounces around in your hands you have probably hit steel..Stop before the bit jams ..Residential garage might be just wire mesh...

MotoGoosy

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 05:39:39 PM »
Put anti-seize compound on the bolts before you put them in.  Couple a bucks for a tube at the hardware store.  Then they won't rust and will come out as easy as they came in.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 05:40:40 PM »
Yep, Hilti for me too.  Used them when building a wire factory.  Lost count of the number of holes drilled and anchors set.

Ok you've guys have convinced me. Need to find some for my tire changer.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

MotoGoosy

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 05:41:33 PM »
Ditto what rough says.  Hit steel once, the drill grabbed, spun around and dislocated my thumb.  My thumb is still crooked from that.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 10:28:11 PM »
Thanks guys!  I got some drop ins and they seemed to work fine. The drill worked dandy. The bit wandered a tad. I should have center punched the concrete to start the hole.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

BigDave in PA

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 04:38:26 AM »
I am quite experienced in concrete work. My construction work included pouring & finishing concrete for about 40 years. Go with an sds hammer drill and the drop in anchors. The rental shouldn't set you back too much. Maybe you know someone that has one. Ask around. I've had one for years and good bits will last a long time. I just picked up another one like in the pic at a yard sale for $40.00 and it had about $75.00 worth of bits with it. If it wasn't so heavy I'd send it to you to use but the shipping would probably be way more than the rental.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 04:40:26 AM by BigDave in PA »

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 07:25:11 AM »
I am quite experienced in concrete work. My construction work included pouring & finishing concrete for about 40 years. Go with an sds hammer drill and the drop in anchors. The rental shouldn't set you back too much. Maybe you know someone that has one. Ask around. I've had one for years and good bits will last a long time. I just picked up another one like in the pic at a yard sale for $40.00 and it had about $75.00 worth of bits with it. If it wasn't so heavy I'd send it to you to use but the shipping would probably be way more than the rental.

A concrete bit in a cordless drill with a hammer option (most DeWalt have this) will work in a pinch. Like many of you I have drilled 1000's of drop-in's 3/8" - 3/4" along with core drilling 1000's more.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 07:58:25 AM »
 When I started in construction as an electrician apprentice in 1965 hammer drills were just being introduced. We made smaller holes with a hand held star drills and mash hammer. Larger holes were made with bulky air tools.
 The biggest changes in construction was the hydraulic man lifts and cordless tools. It also reduced manpower....
 I never liked the 3/8 or 1/2 inch conventional chuck drills with the hammer feature.They just make noise and hammer way too fast. The Hilti type are far better ...I have a small Hilti dedicated concrete drill. It cost about 500 bucks 20 years ago and despite my extreme abuse it just keeps on drilling.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2015, 08:12:16 AM »
I have a big honkin' Milwaulkee, It'll rock your world :D Used hammer drills back in the '80's putting down commercial tack strip.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 08:40:19 AM »
When I started in construction as an electrician apprentice in 1965 hammer drills were just being introduced. We made smaller holes with a hand held star drills and mash hammer. Larger holes were made with bulky air tools.
 The biggest changes in construction was the hydraulic man lifts and cordless tools. It also reduced manpower....
 I never liked the 3/8 or 1/2 inch conventional chuck drills with the hammer feature.They just make noise and hammer way too fast. The Hilti type are far better ...I have a small Hilti dedicated concrete drill. It cost about 500 bucks 20 years ago and despite my extreme abuse it just keeps on drilling.

As an plumber/pipefitter apprentice (Local 520 Harrisburg PA) in the early 90's I was fortunate not to have to fool with star it. But I became very familiar with Hilti products. Drill holes until the Hilti drill was so hot you couldn't touch the motor. In over 22 years I have never seen a Hilti drill fail.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 08:41:30 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 09:32:38 AM »
Don't forget to put bolts in the holes when your equipment is not attached. Pain in the butt to clean out when you want to reinstall for use.

Stay safe, John
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 09:41:22 AM »
I wish I could add something, but you guys have it covered.

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 06:37:36 PM »
Tapcons are another fastener for those smaller jobs.  They do not require any more than a drilled hole and come in many sizes. They sell them at all the big box stores too.  Those cheap battery hammer drills will drill a hole for them fairly quickly in most concrete types.  Mike

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 06:46:08 PM »
As an plumber/pipefitter apprentice (Local 520 Harrisburg PA) in the early 90's I was fortunate not to have to fool with star it. But I became very familiar with Hilti products. Drill holes until the Hilti drill was so hot you couldn't touch the motor. In over 22 years I have never seen a Hilti drill fail.

I retired from IBEW local 86 Rochester NY..

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here