Author Topic: tested Mazda CX-5 and a Guzzi ride today  (Read 4106 times)

lucydad

tested Mazda CX-5 and a Guzzi ride today
« on: July 17, 2015, 09:14:47 PM »
All,

Got up early and had the V7R out the door by 7:30 AM.  We romped down and about and reached the coast, chased the pelicans a bit, took a break for water and stretch by Mother Ocean, and swanned back.  Had lunch with a very good friend and caught up.  Ms. LD needed a maintenance on her Lexus, and so while waiting we visited the next door Mazda dealer.  We were driving the daughter's now inherited to me red 2008 Mazda 3.  Friendly dealer greeting, looked the CX-5 over.  Got the sales pitch, good sales guy (French North African, so we clicked fast).

Decided to test the GT top of line CX-5 in white.  Very pretty, very nice fit for a small guy like me.  Gorgeous wheels.  Plenty of power out of 2.5 L Skyactive engine.  The radio/nav/bluetooth system is one of best I have seen.  It is similar to the Lexus with thumb wheel, but adds a touch screen option, and very clear, large graphics.  Full voice command, of course.  Similarities to the Lexus are very high. 

We talked a bit.  Taking the Mazda 3 in Monday to the dealer as it has an intermittent check engine light.  I never ignore these things.  So while they diagnose and fix, they will appraise the M3.  Not sure how serious I am.  Like the parchment interior better than black.  Like either red or white exterior.  No rush though. 

Likely I will wait until next spring some time.  But we will see how low they go on price, trade and the APR interest deals. 

Would also like to test drive the competition.  Friend in Durango has a new RAV4, we took it out:  love the interior, its nice and similar to CX-5.

Torn between taking Guzzi or Triumph out early Saturday.  Guzzi is so meditative:  smooth and easy and a great cruiser.  Triumph loves to rip although it can be ridden soft and easy too.  Loving all the dry and sunshine weather.  We were so wet, so for long, everyone is enjoying the summer despite the broiling heat.  Trick, as always:  go early, go late and avoid the direct rays. Fairly frequent Gulf breezes help. 

Oh the sales guy said the new Mazda engines are very high compression:  gives high mileage and performance.  But I have heard similar Subaru engines are having oil consumption problems.  I asked and he said the Skyactive engines were 3 years old, no problems, and he has had a lot of ex-Subaru lookers now considering the Mazdas.

No new Miata on the floor yet. Good day. :cheesy:

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
Re: tested Mazda CX-5 and a Guzzi ride today
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 10:21:27 PM »
Check out the Ford Fusion and Focus for a counter point. I've rented one of 'em (I get the damn names all mixed up - it was small!).
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 10:24:17 PM »
funny, I went to Mazda store today and looked at the M 3 Hatch.  My son's car was totalled today and I was trying to get a sense of the new design and cost.  Luckily he wasn't hurt or at fault.

No Miatas there either. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 10:27:12 PM »
Mazda has excellent build quality. I have an 05 RX-8 that almost feels like new with no rattles.

The engine is dead... but that's another matter entirely to do with the rotary engine. I got as many miles out of is as I expected to.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 10:27:12 PM »

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 10:39:33 PM »
The Subarus had an engine problem for awhile, and I hear they got right on it. I've never liked, personally, the really high compression engines. With all the new tech I'm probably just stuck in the past, but to me high compression means more heat, higher bearing loads, shorter engine life. There are an awful lot of antique tractors still original with that super low compression they used. The biggest complaint I can actually have, tho, is that high compression almost always means a zero tolerance engine if the cam belt goes. I've seen it a few times. Honda Civics were bad about it. I will take a little less power for an engine that doesn't hand grenade over a 25 dollar belt. Yeah, I know the the newer stuff is all that good, but my luck never is. Having said all that, I think Mazda is one of the best companies out there.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline frizzit

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 12:27:29 AM »
Along the lines of the CX-5 you should check out the Honda HRV and the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport.  Ive been in both the CX-5 and the Outlander Sport and the difference isn't worth the 3-5K price differential, but ymmv.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 07:54:40 AM »
We had a Forester in the 'problem' years.  Never leaked or used oil a bit.  It did come from the factory with a 'dry' rear wheel bearing, but, fixed and on the road in a day.

And my old WRX is still running strong.  13yrs old and just under 200k miles.  Flogged for over 100k of those miles.  I'd buy another in a heartbeat. 

But, the Miata is tempting.  Yes, if they ever put a turbo engine in the BRZ then that would be my choice.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

lucydad

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 12:52:33 PM »
Thanks for comments, especially on high compression engines.  Tis a concern as my next vehicle will have to last a long time in retirement.  Many of the competitive SUVs have 2.0 liter turbos.  Turbos have come a long way I know, and I have never owned one, but in a SUV?  I have plenty of time, no rush, despite dealer's sales manager very eager to sell me a CX-5.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 01:46:26 PM »
Thanks for comments, especially on high compression engines.  Tis a concern as my next vehicle will have to last a long time in retirement.  Many of the competitive SUVs have 2.0 liter turbos.  Turbos have come a long way I know, and I have never owned one, but in a SUV?  I have plenty of time, no rush, despite dealer's sales manager very eager to sell me a CX-5.
So what newer vehicles come with high compression engines? I kinda wonder how Ford gets such crazy horsepower numbers out of their F 150s with V6 motors....very high compression?
I just cant see towing a trailer with a heavy full size truck with a V6.

My son drives a 2013 Raptor, with the 6.2 L V8. It gets crappy mileage, but is a super nice truck, that really hauls ass when you step on it. He told me the new raptor is only going to be available with a V6.
I think they should offer more light duty pickups with small , fuel efficient diesel motors, IMHO.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 03:05:05 PM »
Whoa....Wait a sec Lucydad...last year you were interested in Porsches, and now you're  thinking of getting a Mazda after trading in the BMW? 

So many more fun choices out there to pick from unless you're just looking for a no-maintenance, but dare I say it...boring plain vanilla vehicle!  :) 

Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

lucydad

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 09:59:38 PM »
Paul,

Still room in 4-car garage in new retirement house for a little sporty car.  CX-5 would be my Houston run about, camping car, pull a small bike trailer, and poodle hauler.  For a SUV its pretty nice handling and crisp.

BMW just was a time to go.   Triumph Triple provides plenty of that quick adrenaline rush....

What do you suggest for a refined gentleman such as myself?

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 10:57:22 PM »
:)   Oh so many options with a 4 car garage...color me green with envy!  How nice will that be!!

Well...given your penchant for the finer things in life and a somewhat "longer planning cycle", and to keep the Guzzi a little Italian company, I'd recommend waiting for 2017 and see if the new 510 hp Alfa Romeo Giulia might fit the "retirement plan"!  :)  In the meantime, perhaps a 2009 lightly used 911 Carrera C2 (997 2.0) or CPO Jaguar coming off a lease for a short period of time. 

If for just "running" around town...I just picked up a Passat TDI in January, and have to admit that getting 40 mpg on average of commuting/city driving is quite nice.  The new VW Diesels are peppy enough with torque, quiet and although less sporty than they used to be, quite adequate for around town doodling...particul arly to Fellini's or other locales, like Flo's new Parisian café on Westheimer.

But if a midsize SUV is in order...Audi Q3 or Q5 are not bad choices either...the new Acura MDX or Honda Pilot perhaps?

Have fun!!!!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 10:59:53 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 12:09:31 AM »
I recently picked up a 2014 Ford F150 with the 3.5l Ecoboost. Has twin turbo's, puts out about 364hp. Let me tell you, that engine can make this pickup get up and go. Ford seems to have tested the hell out of the motor, so I'm not too concerned about long term reliability, but my druthers would be a normally asperated motor. Still. This unit is making me reconsider. We shall see. Being retired now this will have to last me a while.

Took a 12 day 3500 mile road trip; averaged 21.3mpg for the whole trip.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 12:10:15 AM by rboe »
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here