Author Topic: Has anyone fit a Kaoko throttle lock to a Norge with the handguards?  (Read 1516 times)

Offline wheaties

• Gaggle Mentor

A big piece of this is my mistake.  I ordered the Kaoko throttle lock for the Norge/Stelvio with the handguards, never really checking how the bar weights attach on my bike.  As it turns out this model (STELHG) has a threaded end that screws into the end of the handlebar.  Matching threads is is not what the end of my Norge handlebar has; instead there's a plug (pressed, welded?)  with threads to match a slender bolt all the way through the end weight and hand guard.  Rechecking the catalog, there appears to be a correct ended Kaoko, but it doesn't look like it has the handguard fitting on the outside.

This has got to be about the most trivial issue you can have on a bike.  Has anyone done this?

Matt
2011 California Black Eagle
2014 Norge

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
Re: Has anyone fit a Kaoko throttle lock to a Norge with the handguards?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 06:16:14 PM »
Mine wouldn't fit.  Got an Atlas and it's fine.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 11:23:18 PM »
I use a Kaoko throttle lock on my Norge, and it fits and works just fine, but I do not have Stelvio handguards.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline wheaties

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 05:46:46 AM »
To illustrate:

This is the throttle lock for the Norge.  I believe this is what will actually work now that I've taken off the bar weight and looked:

This is the throttle lock I ordered and now have.  The catalog does say it fits the Norge GT 1200 8V '06-'14.  My bike is a 2014.  On the one hand I need the insert on the right to anchor the guard.  But the threading on the handlebar end is wrong:

I'm hoping someone has a clue as to what holds the threaded slug inside the handlebar.  Or what alternatives there might be....?  Honestly, this seems like such a trivial issue.  I sent a note to Kaoko so I'll see what they say.  It does look as though they customize.  I just thought I'd see if anyone here knew more.

Thanks,
Matt

2014 Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 05:46:46 AM »

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 06:51:23 PM »
I had to deal with some similar issues in a different way with my Norge.

I had Throttlemeister bar ends on the Norge and added the Stelvio handguards. I fitted the bar end / guard combo a bit differently on left and right sides. The left side got a rubber washer on each side of the guard, a SS washer below the recessed trim ring and a slightly longer than stock SS machine screw. The right side got a similar treatment, but between the bar end and the guard I put in an additional pair of SS washers - so that the bar end could be turned as designed for throttle locking.

My suggestion is to stick with what's designed for the Norge as far as bar ends, and make adjustments to allow the handguards to be fitted.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline wheaties

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 06:38:37 AM »
Thanks! 

I'm impressed you got the Throttlemeisters to work with hand guards.  I put them on my California and like them.

I should be hearing back from Kaoko soon to see what they suggest.

Matt
2014 Norge

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here