Author Topic: "Sticky" T-3 clutch  (Read 1719 times)

elvisboy77

"Sticky" T-3 clutch
« on: March 30, 2018, 01:57:12 PM »
My 850 T-3, 1977 is difficult to move/roll when it has been sitting for a while.  If I rock it back and forth, it eventually "breaks loose" and can roll again.  This only happens after sitting for a bit.   What could this be?  When I push it and it is hard to move, I can hear the engine trying to turn over.  It is like the clutch is seizing on the splines?? 

I suppose I could take it apart but I was wondering if maybe a mineral spirits bath would fix this?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Re: "Sticky" T-3 clutch
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 02:10:30 PM »
Please clarify.  Is this bike in neutral or engaged in a gear when you are trying to push it?  Are you pulling on the hand lever when you do this pushing?

What happens if you remove the spark plugs to avoid compression and then try to push?

Something is amiss.  If the bike is in neutral then there is no way that the rear wheel should be trying to rotate the motor regardless of clutch quality.  If the bike is in gear, then yes, a cold, oiled up clutch might be sticky and might allow the rear wheel to rotate the motor.  We need a little more information to determine the cause.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 03:28:59 PM »
Perhaps the rear brake is seizing after it sits?
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 03:44:40 PM »
High humidity where you live?  Could be rust related.  I'd have that happen on my LM III if it sat too long on Oahu, Windward side.  Minimum 70% humidity.  Same bike now in 10% humidity on the Big Island.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 03:44:40 PM »

elvisboy77

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 09:40:08 AM »
Please clarify.  Is this bike in neutral or engaged in a gear when you are trying to push it?  Are you pulling on the hand lever when you do this pushing?

What happens if you remove the spark plugs to avoid compression and then try to push?

Something is amiss.  If the bike is in neutral then there is no way that the rear wheel should be trying to rotate the motor regardless of clutch quality.  If the bike is in gear, then yes, a cold, oiled up clutch might be sticky and might allow the rear wheel to rotate the motor.  We need a little more information to determine the cause.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Thanks, yeah only in gear, that's why I wondered if something is sticking

elvisboy77

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 09:40:58 AM »
Perhaps the rear brake is seizing after it sits?

Good question, nut it doesn't do it in neutral so I figured clutch/transmission

elvisboy77

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 09:41:53 AM »
High humidity where you live?  Could be rust related.  I'd have that happen on my LM III if it sat too long on Oahu, Windward side.  Minimum 70% humidity.  Same bike now in 10% humidity on the Big Island.

Hmm wow!  Well, I'm in North Carolina so it has been cold and dry....

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 03:58:48 PM »
Good question, nut it doesn't do it in neutral so I figured clutch/transmission

The main clutch issue I have with these bikes over the years has always been wear on the clutch drive hub. Makes it sticky feeling and grabby. Won't allow the plates to float when you pull in the clutch lever. Never actually ever wore out a clutch. Just tooth wear on the plates and hub always got me. When I put a new hub on the transmission shaft, I make sure to use a thin film of spline lube on the teeth.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

elvisboy77

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 04:36:05 PM »
The main clutch issue I have with these bikes over the years has always been wear on the clutch drive hub. Makes it sticky feeling and grabby. Won't allow the plates to float when you pull in the clutch lever. Never actually ever wore out a clutch. Just tooth wear on the plates and hub always got me. When I put a new hub on the transmission shaft, I make sure to use a thin film of spline lube on the teeth.

THANK YOU!  That is just what I was looking for.  Time to break out the wrenches....

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 05:43:04 PM »
a better option is to send out the new hub to get dry film lubricated, I've had good results doing that. I suspect some replacement hug already have that done
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 10:31:06 PM »
If you/ think about it, it's probably not the clutch.  It's probably either the (most likely) cast iron disks sticking to the brake pads or it's (ess likely) a tire sidewall rubbing on the swing arm.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 12:37:51 PM »
Good point.  Sometimes the starting reference point should be moved.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here