Author Topic: No spark- Cal II  (Read 458 times)

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
No spark- Cal II
« on: May 09, 2024, 10:19:11 AM »
I installed a new battery in my '85 Cal II.  When I turned on the ignition the voltage regulator started smoking.  Put in a new regulator  wired as before.  Then I had no spark.  When I crank the starter there is no power to the coils. The Guzzi service manual has poor wiring schematics.   there is new wiring, unfortunately it is all black, very hard to trace. 

Points ignition updated Enduralast alternator and voltage regulator

What I want to know is how the starting circuit is wired from the ignition switch to the points and coils. 
Where should the coils get their power from?

thanks, Pete

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: No spark- Cal II
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 11:04:04 AM »
Coils get power from ignition switch, wire goes to kill switch then to coils.
I have a Cal2 also, installed a new loom, the whole thing like factory. My fuse box had 1/8" of solid blue cakey corrosion all over the back & it was replaced w/newish one.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 11:57:35 AM »
Thanks Guzzisteve!  The wiring and fuse block are in very good shape.  I can install a new wire loom but don't want to yet.  I can run a hot wire from the ignition switch and bypass the kill switch.  The switch had tested as good.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 12:20:57 PM »
15/54 terminal on ign switch is white wire, that goes to kill switch & coils. Points get wired to other side of coil for L & R.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 08:27:42 AM by guzzisteve »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 12:20:57 PM »

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2024, 10:11:26 PM »
What caused the smoke to leak out of the regulator?
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2024, 09:37:19 AM »
No more white wire to the kill switch.  I did test the kill switch seemed to work.  40 yr old switch may be shit.  I have no idea why the regulator started smoking.  One of the reasons i wanted to understand the ignition system was how the regulator is wired into it.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2024, 10:06:18 AM »
If you look in the 1000SP/G5 manual it explains the charge system, easier than trying to explain by typing. It has pics.

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2024, 09:39:23 AM »
Changed the condensor, I now have no spark on one side.  Factory manual says coils are 3.5 ohms.  Also seeing spark from one set of points.  been so long sice I messed with points.  Will check points gap, coil resistance

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2024, 10:04:37 AM »
No more white wire to the kill switch.  I did test the kill switch seemed to work.  40 yr old switch may be shit.  I have no idea why the regulator started smoking.  One of the reasons i wanted to understand the ignition system was how the regulator is wired into it.

The charging system is completely independent of the ignition system, the regulator should not be wired into the ignition in any way.

Changed the condensor, I now have no spark on one side.  Factory manual says coils are 3.5 ohms.  Also seeing spark from one set of points.  been so long sice I messed with points.  Will check points gap, coil resistance

There are two condensers.
Charlie

Offline centauro

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2024, 03:27:48 PM »
Take a look at the 4-wire junction plug that connects the kill/start switches on the throttle side. You should have 4 wires plugging into that block, which should be somewhere near the right side of the steering neck: 1 black wire, 1 white/black wire, and 2 white wires. The black wire is the path to the ground, the white/black goes to the starter relay, and the 2 white wires are live 12V when the ignition switch is ON and the kill switch is OFF. As stated above, the white wire feeds the coils + terminals. If that one shorts to the ground, it means no spark.

On my SP, which shares the same diagram with the Cal II, that junction plug was corroded and melted. I had to cut it out and put new terminals on all 4 wires, plus I had to completely replace the white wire feeding the coils, since its insulation was melted 2 feet into the main harness under the tank.
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2024, 01:56:50 PM »
I now have spark on both sides. Point gap is .017-.018.  New plugs, idles rough.  The left cylinder doesn't seem to be firing all the time.  Going to pull the jets, clean the carb.  Did the right side.  Also adjusted the valves.
I do not have that 4 wire plug anymore.  It has been replaced with new wiring and a relay.
 Charlie, two wires go to the alternator, one to ground and one to the battery, correct?  Enduralast/Ducati alternator

Thinking new coils are next...

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2024, 03:53:15 PM »

Charlie, two wires go to the alternator, one to ground and one to the battery, correct?  Enduralast/Ducati alternator

From their website...

The one that is designated "starter" can also be connected to the + terminal of the battery. The one that is designated "coil" can be connected to any switched power supply.
Charlie

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2024, 04:05:15 PM »
I'll double check my wiring, thanks Charlie!  Replaced the other condensor, cleaned carb, no change, left cylinder is only firing with a lot of revs.  Ordering two coils next

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2024, 07:03:04 PM »
Just checking if you cleaned the bottom of point plate and top edge of dizzy? Being clean & oil dry makes a difference.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here