Author Topic: Might be time to quit riding  (Read 7127 times)

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
Re: Might be time to quit riding
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2020, 06:47:09 AM »
I might start to get into jeeps (Had a CJ-7 when I was younger).  Maybe something like this Wrangler to go four wheeling out by my cabin. Hmm...maybe replace motorcycles with a jeep! 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3659101260878166/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

Oddly enough, I was looking at a very nice 1999 Jeep Cherokee with 130,000 miles the other day for $6500.  My wife's 2000 Cherokee on 190,000.  I know friends with 250k, 280k, and 404k on theirs.  You can't kill the inline 4.0 liter engine.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Wildroamer

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2020, 07:41:43 AM »
My vet is that you are going to be so damn happy and surprised at what those new knees do for you that you will embrace riding like you haven't in years. I know personally or have spoken with many people who had knees replaced. So far, every single one of them has been amazed at the results. And in short order, for most. For most , the common theme has been, "I wish I did this years ago!"
Good luck, and I agree...don't do anything until you have recovered from the surgeries.
My .02

bobrebos

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2020, 10:20:42 PM »
So.... Guzzi 850tt weighs about 100 pounds less than my 2013 Stelvio I think (505lbs to 600 lbs).  A Triumph 850 sport weighs about the same (500lbs) with the luggage i think.

And a Jeep wrangler with winch etc etc weighs quite a bit more.  LOL.  Im all over the place here.

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/configure/bike/edde3425-6111-4bcd-bde7-7bfd3b7d712c/configure#config

https://sloansmotorcycle.com/Murfreesboro-Tennessee-37129/New-2020-Moto-Guzzi-V85-TT-Premium-Graphics-850/VDP/f420266c-e0a6-4489-9c39-97ad6d873b63

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2903101396457058

I have some thinking to do......

:thewife:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 10:22:07 PM by bobrebos »

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2020, 05:31:54 AM »
Bob, 

Actually, I think your Stelvio is closer to 640#, Wet with the tank full, and the rear cases mounted but empty.  My 2012 was. 

What I've seen of the 85TT was very encouraging.  It would be very high on the list if I were to get back into bike riding.  About the only thing I didn't like was the tube-type tires.  Tubeless are so much easier to repair on the road.

Ride safe out there.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2020, 05:31:54 AM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2020, 05:42:19 AM »
So.... Guzzi 850tt weighs about 100 pounds less than my 2013 Stelvio I think (505lbs to 600 lbs).  A Triumph 850 sport weighs about the same (500lbs) with the luggage i think.

And a Jeep wrangler with winch etc etc weighs quite a bit more.  LOL.  Im all over the place here.

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/configure/bike/edde3425-6111-4bcd-bde7-7bfd3b7d712c/configure#config

https://sloansmotorcycle.com/Murfreesboro-Tennessee-37129/New-2020-Moto-Guzzi-V85-TT-Premium-Graphics-850/VDP/f420266c-e0a6-4489-9c39-97ad6d873b63

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2903101396457058

I have some thinking to do......

:thewife:

Bob, sell all your current bikes, get the V85TT, and an older jeep with the 4.0 engine, especially if you really want to off-road with it.  Smaller is better and the Wranglers get larger and larger every generation. 

IMO, Jeeps are overpriced for what you get.  I've been wanting one since my buddy had a CJ5 when we were teenagers in Daytona Beach.  Periodically I would get the itch and go looking but could never find one at a price I was willing to pay.  When the price looked reasonable the vehicle was in need of all kinds of mechanical repair. 

I'm crossing my fingers that the Bronco will turn out to be a reliable vehicle and might be what I buy when I retire from riding one day.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

bobrebos

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2020, 06:00:34 AM »
Bob, 

Actually, I think your Stelvio is closer to 640#, Wet with the tank full, and the rear cases mounted but empty.  My 2012 was. 

What I've seen of the 85TT was very encouraging.  It would be very high on the list if I were to get back into bike riding.  About the only thing I didn't like was the tube-type tires.  Tubeless are so much easier to repair on the road.

Ride safe out there.

Tube-type tires?  Hmmm,,, not good but Im looking at a Triumph that is chain driven so i guess you gotta give in to a few things.  nothing is perfect!

bobrebos

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2020, 06:03:16 AM »
Bob, sell all your current bikes, get the V85TT, and an older jeep with the 4.0 engine, especially if you really want to off-road with it.  Smaller is better and the Wranglers get larger and larger every generation. 

IMO, Jeeps are overpriced for what you get.  I've been wanting one since my buddy had a CJ5 when we were teenagers in Daytona Beach.  Periodically I would get the itch and go looking but could never find one at a price I was willing to pay.  When the price looked reasonable the vehicle was in need of all kinds of mechanical repair. 

I'm crossing my fingers that the Bronco will turn out to be a reliable vehicle and might be what I buy when I retire from riding one day.

Im not a big fan of the new bronco.  I do like the older jeeps with the 4.0.  Il find one someday! 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=new+ford+bronco&docid=608041015953458013&mid=81F0A55220934D25DB1781F0A55220934D25DB17&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/389461242407951/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=undefined
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 06:29:51 AM by bobrebos »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2020, 07:08:49 AM »
Hey Bob,

Here is a capture of an email I just received from Moto Guzzi. 

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2020, 07:16:34 AM »
Tube-type tires?  Hmmm,,, not good but Im looking at a Triumph that is chain driven so i guess you gotta give in to a few things.  nothing is perfect!
Then just convert them, I did my new V7 at the first tire change, my 72 Eldorado is about 5 years tubeless.
The owner of this old Indian showed me how to do it years ago.
Only problem is you really have to do your own tires, the dealers won't touch them.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 07:29:37 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

bobrebos

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2020, 07:47:26 AM »
Hey Bob,

Here is a capture of an email I just received from Moto Guzzi. 

:thumb:

bobrebos

« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2021, 05:02:28 AM »
Well, bumping up an old topic as the feelings have came back.  For some reason lately, I am paranoid while riding my motorcycle that someone in a car is going to run right over me!  Is that a sign that I need to sell my bikes and do a safer hobby?  Hmmmm?????  I think it might be time to pull the trigger and change hobbies.

I am going to ride a bit more this year and then decide but am leaning toward getting out of riding.  It might be time!  Being paranoid of a bad accident when riding isnt any fun.
 Oh well, life goes on. 

Then I think maybe a change of bikes, riding equipment updating to newer etc, may be all that I need.  In other words, slight changes to my hobby rather then getting out of it completely.  A decision one way or another will be made fairly soon I think.

Ride safe out there. :undecided:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:07:12 AM by bobrebos »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2021, 05:22:29 AM »
NO WAY
You are just a spring chicken, lots of fight left in you yet!
Now the Stelvio and the Goldwing might be too porky for you, change those out for something lighter, one of the new V7s perhaps.
Take a riders training course perhaps to boost your confidence, that's what I did coming back from a 40 year hiatus, taught me how to handle busy traffic, the best money I ever spent, lots of fun too.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:32:31 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2021, 05:36:01 AM »
Well, bumping up an old topic as the feelings have came back.  For some reason lately, I am paranoid while riding my motorcycle that someone in a car is going to run right over me!  Is that a sign that I need to sell my bikes and do a safer hobby?  Hmmmm?????  I think it might be time to pull the trigger and change hobbies.

I am going to ride a bit more this year and then decide but am leaning toward getting out of riding.  It might be time!  Being paranoid of a bad accident when riding isnt any fun.
 Oh well, life goes on.

Then I think maybe a change of bikes, riding equipment updating to newer etc, may be all that I need.  In other words, slight changes to my hobby rather then getting out of it completely.  A decision one way or another will be made fairly soon I think.

Not sure what your riding habits are , nowadays i rarely do long highway trips , ( too boring)
so the ducati and le mans hardly ever get ridden.
on the other hand , i am falling in love again with my morini 350 sport.
i bought the thing in 1983, ran it into the groundcommuting for years.
Rebuild it a couple of years ago, and now really enjoy a 130 kg bike, you can throw it into corners, and generally ride it flat out without it trying to kill you.
basically a 39 HP mountainbike...
a smaller bike might just be the answer for you!

bobrebos

« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2021, 05:47:04 AM »
Not sure what your riding habits are , nowadays i rarely do long highway trips , ( too boring)
so the ducati and le mans hardly ever get ridden.
on the other hand , i am falling in love again with my morini 350 sport.
i bought the thing in 1983, ran it into the groundcommuting for years.
Rebuild it a couple of years ago, and now really enjoy a 130 kg bike, you can throw it into corners, and generally ride it flat out without it trying to kill you.
basically a 39 HP mountainbike...
a smaller bike might just be the answer for you!

:thumb:

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2021, 06:05:51 AM »
I am always on high alert about getting run over which is why I am still here.

I avoid the main roads, shopping districts, tourist areas, and highways as much as possible

There are still many nearly deserted back roads to enjoy. 

Maybe smaller lighter bikes with good handling characteristics  and extra lighting installed to help get you noticed.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2021, 06:16:04 AM »
You know that we've always had several motorcycles at any given time, but this 650 Kaw Versys is one of my favorites.  Light and easy to ride - and it'll run down the highway all day long.  Just hop on and go.  I changed the seat and a larger windscreen, etc to fit me, and then proceeded to run all over the country.

Sometime later,  Kawasaki came out with the Versys 300.  Even lighter.   
And, who doesn't like Kawasaki green ???

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 06:22:06 AM by kballowe »

bobrebos

« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2021, 06:21:12 AM »
You know that we've always had several motorcycles at any given time, but this 650 Kaw Versys is one of my favorites.  Light and easy to ride - and it'll run down the highway all day long.  Just hop on and go.  I changed the seat and a larger windscreen, etc to fit me, and then proceeded to run all over the country.

:thumb:  nice bike!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2021, 06:27:28 AM »

That chain looks a bit tight on the bottom run mate..

Offline theoneandonly

• New Egg
  • being honest doesn't pay...you just sleep better !
    • baldricks workshop
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2021, 06:51:23 AM »
i'm 61 , this last year has been very weird , i almost lost my mojo for riding , ( i ride everyday to work in London been riding since i was 19 ) cos we aren't meant to be going anywhere ( in the UK ). you think you want to stop riding , cos you haven't done any ....this will pass .  Lock-down will finish , it has to . if you really think it's time , keep one just in case . i cannot ( for me ) ever see a time when i don't have a bike .
 find an excuse to use the bike , go shopping for coffee on the other side of your town , come back the long way....

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2021, 07:04:29 AM »

Oh well, life goes on. 

Yes. Absolutely. 100%. When I was teaching the MSF Rider Course, I told everyone...all the time...."If you're not 100% into it, don't do it."

My dad hung it up a few years ago too. Said he just woke up and could care less about riding again. He was 77 when he took his last ride. Said he didn't enjoy it even a little bit and was only thinking of home the whole time he was riding.

To this day, if I intend to ride and look at the bike and don't feel it all the way, I take a car instead. But, that's only happened about twice in the last decade :)

So, I'll close with this; If you're not 100% into it, don't do it.

Luap
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

oldbike54

« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2021, 07:08:31 AM »
 Natural to change as we age . Riding isn't any more dangerous now than it was 53 years ago when I started , in fact the world isn't a more dangerous place than it was back then , but as we age and have seen what can go wrong our perception alters . If an individual isn't enjoying an activity any longer they should feel free to stop . I learned a long time ago to always listen to the "inner voice" , if it is telling you something , always wise to listen .

Good fortune Bob in traveling whatever path you choose to take  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2021, 07:13:52 AM »
Bob, you riding the Stelvio to the lunch meet on the 24th? Bring it along if you can. Maybe I can help you re-home that tall heavy thing  :evil:
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2021, 07:16:51 AM »
At 57 I’ve gotten much more fearful over the past ten years of riding.  So much so that I think sometimes that coming home safely is the real thrill. I’ve given up limited access highways and rides longer than an hour or so.  I can’t quit though since motorcycles are in my DNA.   I do find that trail riding is very relaxing. The new four stroke KTMs are extremely easy to ride at any speed.  Also I love restoring vintage bikes but just started a dune buggy project that will give me the same pleasure. Everyone has their own balance Bob and it is always evolving. 
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2021, 07:18:38 AM »
If they don't make you happy anymore.... sell them! If later in life you feel the need to ride again buy another. They are inanimate objects and nothing that cannot be replaced!
exactly...15 years ago when I was 58 Sold my vintage Brit Bikes. Had lost interest and was concentrating on my 37 Chevy hot rod truck...
 Five years later I sold the truck and got back into mostly vintage bikes...

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2021, 07:20:09 AM »
Lots of good advice in this thread.  Old Guys Rock!

my $0.02:

1.  Listen to your intuition ALWAYS!  It is a built in self-defense mechanism!!!  Anytime your gut says BACK OFF, listen!
2.  Sell one or more of your existing machines and see if a "hole" develops in your garage or activity list.  A feeling that you "need" something is a good indicator.
3.  Buy a very light bike, very different than what you currently own.  Preferably one that needs a bit of TLC.  See if it makes you feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.  Tinkering is almost always as satisfying as riding (for some of us anyway).
4.  Whatever you do, enjoy it!  There are no "ifs" in life!  Life is too short to waste time on crappy thoughts and moods!

:grin:
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

bobrebos

« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2021, 07:33:04 AM »
Bob, you riding the Stelvio to the lunch meet on the 24th? Bring it along if you can. Maybe I can help you re-home that tall heavy thing  :evil:

Yeah I will be on my Stelvio that day.  Hoping for no rain!

bobrebos

« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2021, 07:38:52 AM »
Probably what i really need to do is quit these computer devices, as they are such a time dump.  I waste more time on my laptop or my phone than anything else. 

Maybe push myself to ride more, ands social media less!   :thumb:

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2021, 07:52:18 AM »
Probably what i really need to do is quit these computer devices, as they are such a time dump.  I waste more time on my laptop or my phone than anything else. 

What!? And miss out on Godzilla poop and Alien posts!?
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

elvisboy77

« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2021, 08:06:36 AM »

AMEN.  I punted all social media like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.  Giant time waste.

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2021, 08:26:05 AM »

Oh well, life goes on. 

Two years ago I sold my Stelvio and picked up a V9 Bobber. Got it set up the way I wanted it and have continued to enjoy local riding when I feel like it and the weather is right. Go riding with a couple of buddies when we can. If I go to any events it goes on the trailer. At 71 this has worked out well for me. I avoid riding in the city as much as I can and stick to the back roads and country side. Still well worth it for me.

Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here