Author Topic: Hearing Aid Battery Help  (Read 2973 times)

Offline 1Sourdough

• Gaggle Mentor
Hearing Aid Battery Help
« on: May 21, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
The closest to Guzzi content is that a lot of us are wearing hearing aids.
Here is a link:
     http://kimt.com/2015/05/05/student-makes-discovery-when-it-comes-to-extending-hearing-aid-battery-life/

Because the station often takes news stories down in not too long a time, here is the text of the story.  Hopefully, they won't get exercised about someone publishing it!

ROCHESTER, Minn. – An 8th grade student may have made a discovery that could save people who wear hearing aids significant money.

Ethan Manuell is an audiology patient at Olmsted County Medical Center and wears a hearing aid in his left ear. He began a study, with the help of his audiologist, Mary Meier Au. D, looking into the effect wait time has on hearing aid batteries, which is the time between activating the battery and placing the battery in the hearing aid.

To activate a hearing aid battery, users need to remove a sticker on the battery which allows oxygen to mix with zinc-oxide inside the battery. Manuell did tests to see if waiting a little longer before putting the battery into the device would make a difference. What he found was if users wait 5 minutes after pulling off the sticker, the battery will last 2-3 days longer, which is significant considering batteries usually last anywhere from 2-7 days depending on the model.

“The more energized zinc you have, the longer it lasts. So this discovery I made, if you wait five minutes, it improves the battery life by 80%,” explains Manuell.

Ethan has won several awards and received recognition for his “5 minute rule” discovery, including earning a US Naval Science Award.

1993 Strada 1000, 1996 R1100RT, 1999 V11 EV
                            -30-

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
Re: Hearing Aid Battery Help
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:22:15 PM »
I use the behind the ear aids, with a #13 battery. I normally get 10 days to 2 weeks from my batteries depending on if I remember to turn them off when not in use. I will try this though.

Offline 1Sourdough

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 10:00:43 PM »
Sure; Shouldn't cost much to let it sit for a few minutes before putting it in the unit.  Do you have any trouble with your hearing aids sailing off when you move your head quickly?  A local fellow says he took a pair back because he kept losing them during the trial period and was afraid his several thousand dollars wasn't too securely invested!
1993 Strada 1000, 1996 R1100RT, 1999 V11 EV
                            -30-

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 10:06:48 PM »
My problem with them is sweating while wearing them. I have a drier/sanitizer that helps, but I usually end up taking them off if I am going to be doing something that will make me sweat. Mine stay put very well.
I have also found that the aids you can buy on fleabay made by siemens in China work surprisingly well. I got a pair for a backup, and they are amazing for the cost.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 10:06:48 PM »

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 10:30:30 PM »
This trick of leaving them on the counter for a few minutes before putting the batteries in is actually in the manual for my aids.  It does make a difference. 
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 10:47:45 PM »
I use the behind the ear aids, with a #13 battery. I normally get 10 days to 2 weeks from my batteries depending on if I remember to turn them off when not in use. I will try this though.

:+1  Mine too are behind the ear.  The Phonaks I have are supposed to be the most waterproof and dustproof aids on the market.  I spoke to one guy with the same model and he has stepped in the shower three times and they still work. :o  As I spend my working hours with my head stuck in a heat pump this is a very important point.

I will try that trick though;  I had never heard of it before.  Amazing what one picks up on this site!
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 04:15:11 PM »
Mine are behind the ear and I also have a problem when sweating.  Several times the sweat has killed the battery.  Nowdays if I'm going to be working hard in warm  weather I just take them out and have people shout at me!  ;D

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here