Author Topic: BB Clutch Assembly - new title  (Read 2495 times)

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Gearbox Woes
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2021, 05:51:23 AM »
The bike is crabbed and clutchless. I’m going to work it backwards checking as each component is added. Full reports to follow. Thanks everyone.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2021, 08:19:34 AM »
 :popcorn:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2021, 09:23:48 PM »
I finally sorted it.  After pulling and installing the gearbox three times and dismantling the clutch twice I finally realized that I was installing THE RING GEAR BACKWARDS!!!.  It was overcompressing the clutch springs and, I suppose, hanging the clutch mount bolts up inside the bell housing.  I’m not sure about this but I can’t think of another reason why the engine wouldn’t turn with the gearbox installed. Since the clutch thrust piece was pushing up against the flywheel bolts, the clutch wouldn’t disengage.  All is fine now.  On to the next learning experience.

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2021, 06:04:38 AM »
I finally sorted it.  After pulling and installing the gearbox three times and dismantling the clutch twice I finally realized that I was installing THE RING GEAR BACKWARDS!!!.  It was overcompressing the clutch springs and, I suppose, hanging the clutch mount bolts up inside the bell housing.  I’m not sure about this but I can’t think of another reason why the engine wouldn’t turn with the gearbox installed. Since the clutch thrust piece was pushing up against the flywheel bolts, the clutch wouldn’t disengage.  All is fine now.  On to the next learning experience.
Absolute respect
Takes a good man to post that
Suggestions
Change title to
BB clutch assembly
Might help the next bloke

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2021, 06:04:38 AM »

Online acguzzi

• Gosling
Re: BB Clutch Assembly - new title
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2021, 10:05:33 AM »
have you checked the gearbox since it is out of the frame? It seems the most likely culprit to me.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2021, 02:51:02 PM »
On to the next learning experience.

:smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2021, 09:21:09 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Jacksonracingcomau.  They mean a lot. The bike is mostly back together save for the rear wheel.  Once I get it mounted I’ll check everything over.  The engine was turning over fine with the gearbox mounted with a bar turning the output shaft using half an old ujoint. I almost dropped the whole rig while uncrabbing the frame.  Too many diverse balance points.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2021, 10:35:47 PM »
Glad you sorted it, I end up taking apart just about everything I put back togetehr the first time to get it (hopefully) right on the second attempt..... glad to hear I am not the only one   :laugh:
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2021, 01:23:07 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Jacksonracingcomau.  They mean a lot. The bike is mostly back together save for the rear wheel.  Once I get it mounted I’ll check everything over.  The engine was turning over fine with the gearbox mounted with a bar turning the output shaft using half an old ujoint. I almost dropped the whole rig while uncrabbing the frame.  Too many diverse balance points.

Far too many egos won’t let people accept their errors, this site (and the Internet) is full of misinformation where “cures” are not even vaguely logical.
Yours might turn out to be common mistake, then attributed to some minor part to save author embarrassment.

My advice in taking on any job for first time
Follow manual and take pictures every step of way , phones make this so simple and if it ever comes to asking on net, those pictures make diagnosis so easy.

Crabbing so easy with hydraulic workbench, I’ve long forgotten what it was like without but I have hooks in joists at correct spots for tie downs to rear of bike. Lower bench to open the crab, raise to reassemble..

All should be good to go, but time double checking is not wasted, be happy before you ride it
Enjoy the ride

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2021, 07:11:58 AM »
Follow manual and take pictures every step of way ,

Of course, aircraft manuals are much better.. but..this is great advice. As an A&P, I'm licensed to work on everything that flies..(!)  from a free balloon to a triple 7. The FAA doesn't expect you to know every system of every thing that flies..but they *do* expect you to be able to look up the manual and follow it. I've mentioned before that I'm *not* a Guzzi mechanic. Guys like Charlie, Steve, Pete, etc. are Guzzi mechanics. They work on them every day, and know every part.
RTFM was my mantra when Austin first started working in the shop..and it always will be.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here