Author Topic: WTB - Leading link or other sidecar-type front end -- but which one?  (Read 5869 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: WTB - Leading link or other sidecar-type front end -- but which one?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2016, 01:26:08 PM »
The head shake -- especially when crossing the sidewalk into the street at an angle or waddling through badly potholed surfaces at walking speeds -- can be bad enough to make the throttle twist.  Although I do have to keep one hand on the bar or it shakes, the steering damper has taken most of that away when the rig gets up to about 25mph.  The hand on the bar is just to settle it down -- it doesn't fight over who's steering.

The other issue for me is the amount of force it takes to follow the twisties.  I can push through most at the speed limit or indicated speed for the curve, but it takes full body English on the bars to convince it.  "Good" steering has been described to me as "power steering".  Mine definitely does NOT meet that definition.

Ideally the forks I get should have adjustable geometry to tune that steering effort.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
Just got off the phone with Dauntless (DMC) in WA.  They have nothing for the guzzi.  The triple tree product they used to carry is NLA from the mfgr and they have no new source.  The leading link forks they have on the website was a 1-off custom for a customer and they did not develop any tooling as they went along.  So while they could possibly do another 1-off ($3200-ish + 6-week lead time + my rig in their shop for the duration), they weren't real enthusiastic about it.  Jay, the owner, said UNIT in the UK did the concept so well that most other customizers didn't try to compete -- they let UNIT have the technology and looked for other products to make their mark with.

Jay also told me that the leading link has been overtaken by the modified tree sets since for tube diameters have gotten larger.  He suggests that I could do "95%" of what a leading link does at half the cost.

So DMC isn't a player.  The search continues.

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2016, 02:56:21 PM »
 Wonder what the triple tree and steering stem dimensions for the HD FLH are . David , you are running the 45 MM forks , correct ? Anyone know what the HD stanchions measure at ?

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2016, 04:52:13 PM »
Yes, Dusty -- 45mm fork tubes.  The HD ones I see seem to be 41mm or 49mm.  These folks go way out of their way to have non-standard stuff.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2016, 04:52:13 PM »

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2016, 08:31:05 PM »
If you go to the wasp site and look at all the different pictures, look at Harley.  The down legged or bent out.  That tells me he uses thr same tree just the stem dia. And length.  One size fits all just bind the down ledges to fit the brake as well as the front swing arm.  Just my way of thinking.Rudyr

Offline Desmo

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2016, 07:06:05 AM »

I had an EML rig with the leading link. The best (not the cheapest) way to go.
1976 Le Mans
2003 BMW Boxer Cup
1985 K100RS EML Sidecar
1994 R100GS
2015 Yamaha Super Ten

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2016, 11:56:02 AM »
BillinPA had a Cal II for sale with sidecar. A while ago. He mentioned having an EZ steer triple tree  for it. Maybe he still has it? I'm pretty sure he sold the sidecar....Worth a shout out...
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2016, 12:28:06 PM »
Thanks.  I sent Bill a PM.

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2016, 03:58:21 PM »
I pmed you back Rk I sold the trees to a fellow last year. They were the 35mm. I have modified trees on my superglide rig for all the reasons you list. I couldn't be happier with them. I got mine from hawg halters who likely cannot help with the Guzzi........but it never hurts to ask.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here