Author Topic: Ford vs Ferrari  (Read 13718 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Ford vs Ferrari
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2019, 05:02:09 PM »
Seen it today-a very good movie! In 67 the only thing I wanted was a dirt bike.The ins and outs of sports cars and sport car racing was totally foreign to me. This movie was  educational and entertaining as well for me. I will google some of the history and see how close the movie was to reality. I have to laugh,the villain isn't Enzo in the movie. What a suck up!

that tip of the hat to Ken Miles was pretty classy from il Commendatore.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 05:11:55 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2019, 05:15:41 PM »
I take any Hagerty article with a grain of salt. They are just plain wrong to often to count.

I hated having to remove all of the push rods when swapping intakes on an FE block. My experience comes from 352 and 390 variants.

If it's not a real gt 40 and it doesn't belong to me, then pop in a 225 slant 6 for all I care.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2019, 05:23:14 PM »
that tip of the hat to Ken Miles was pretty classy from il Commendatore.

If it actually happened .

Dusty

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2019, 05:26:18 PM »
I take any Hagerty article with a grain of salt. They are just plain wrong to often to count.

I hated having to remove all of the push rods when swapping intakes on an FE block. My experience comes from 352 and 390 variants.

If it's not a real gt 40 and it doesn't belong to me, then pop in a 225 slant 6 for all I care.
Now just hold on a bit Turin, the 225 slant 6 is Mopar and a darn beast of a little engine;)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2019, 05:26:18 PM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2019, 05:59:44 PM »
If it actually happened .

Dusty

we were talking about the movie.

It was a pretty good part when Enzo was leading those Fords guys on to sell his company while having Fiat bid up the sell price at the same time.  Then he called Henry II all kinds of names, like 'the Second".

They really never got into the animosity that Shel had for old man Enzo.  I was pretty disappointed the Cobra vs Ferrari GT Championship was not even mentioned or alluded to.  And Miles did run the LeMans races and was never left home.  The movie took some some liberties.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2019, 05:34:28 AM »
According to the movie, Lee Iacocca pitched that international racing would appeal to the younger crowd.  He told the "Deuce" that Ferrari was the most famous car builder in the world and not Ford.   Ford then tried to buy Ferrari which is a well known story and part of the movie.

My point was that in the 60's Ford was spending a lot of money into all motorsports , the GT 40 was part of it and not the only part...

Offline erich

• New Egg
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2019, 06:37:50 AM »
I have not seen the movie yet. Currently I prepare myself with a second reading of A. J. Baime's book "Go Like Hell".
1979 V1000 G5

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2019, 08:17:38 AM »
Last night I took the family to see the movie at the theater, a rare event for me as it involves spending money. My two teenagers not actually grumbling but doing it cos 'Dad wants to'

We all enjoyed the movie, it was a good story, well shot with tension & excitement. The bad guys are not who you think they are going to be.

The car scenes were good, the surround sound in the theater really conveying the effect of cars passing, tires screeching & chirping, engines roaring , cabins shaking & rattling.

I felt it was a good night out.  :thumb:
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2019, 09:22:43 AM »
I liked the scene with Deuce riding with Carrol. 

The commercials imply that he was crying out of fear, instead he was crying out of pride and deference to his father and grandfather. 
John L 

oldbike54

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2019, 09:33:57 AM »
 Let me remind everyone , these are actors reciting lines written by a screenwriter . This might be a wonderful bit of entertainment , but it isn't history .

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2019, 09:38:41 AM »
Let me remind everyone , these are actors reciting lines written by a screenwriter . This might be a wonderful bit of entertainment , but it isn't history .

Dusty

true.  I just don't know why you have to say that.
John L 

oldbike54

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2019, 10:17:16 AM »

Because we keep hearing the actors referred to as the actual people . There have been too many cases of movies being accepted as real history , I've heard one too many times over the last 45 years that some historical figure said or did something because a screenwriter put in in a script .

Dusty
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 01:13:12 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline RaceyStoner27

• New Egg
  • Bigly Strictness
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2019, 10:17:35 AM »
Not too much screen time given to Ferrari or its legacy. Maybe it should just be named "Ford vs. Some Foreign Job".
Unfortunately, GT40 development and deployment meant the shunting aside and stagnation of the Cobra Daytona Coupe, a rather fantastic machine in its own right.

And WHY does Hollywood think all a driver has to do to go faster is slam the gearbox and stomp on the accelerator pedal??
A che serve una macchina senza anima?

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2019, 10:34:13 AM »
Not too much screen time given to Ferrari or its legacy. Maybe it should just be named "Ford vs. Some Foreign Job".
Unfortunately, GT40 development and deployment meant the shunting aside and stagnation of the Cobra Daytona Coupe, a rather fantastic machine in its own right.

And WHY does Hollywood think all a driver has to do to go faster is slam the gearbox and stomp on the accelerator pedal??

Because Hollywood makes films for mass appeal and not the tiny minority that sees the flaws......It's all about the drama... Just enjoy the movie for what it is, good entertainment...

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2019, 10:52:08 AM »
Because we keep hearing the actors referred to as the actual people . There have been to many cases of movies being accepted as real history , I've heard one too many times over the last 45 years that some historical figure said or did something because a screenwriter put in in a script .

Dusty

We all know it's only a movie.  If you don't want to see it or don't like the characters portrayed in it, fine.  But no one is saying there ever was a movie that was a "true story" to the final detail.   Movies can still be entertaining and educational.  This one has been picked apart here and elsewhere, myself included.  It was still a good flick.
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2019, 10:57:42 AM »

I was disappointed that none of the FIA Cobra and Daytona Coupe story was told.  In fact, the Coupes were in background of the garage in California when Miles was listening to the LeMans race on the radio -a race he actually historically competed in BTW.

The later point about stabbing accelerator and shifter is just a typical Hollywood device to convey drama but it does look stupid.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 10:59:16 AM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2019, 12:22:36 PM »
As an aside, I read the book The World's Fastest Indian. I was looking forward to the movie.They took an awful lot of liberties in the movie. It kind of made Burt look like a huge risk taker with corner cutting. But there were legitimate reasons why he did what he did. As an example the movie made it look like he used plowshares to make parts because he couldn't afford new steel when in fact he used the plowshares because of the high quality steel and readily available. A great book by the way, I should read it again.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2019, 12:58:01 PM »

Quote from: LowRyter on Today at 09:38:41 AM

Because we keep hearing the actors referred to as the actual people . There have been to many cases of movies being accepted as real history , I've heard one too many times over the last 45 years that some historical figure said or did something because a screenwriter put in in a script .

All to true. Unfortunately the mass public doesn't seem to read anymore, and gets their info from entertainment based media sources. I probably won't enjoy the movie because I'm a stickler for the facts. The History Channel ( before it became the channel of Ancient astronauts, garbage picking, and Island landscape destruction) had a series called History VS. Hollywood. I wish they would bring that back. It boggles the mind how screenwriters are allowed to embellish a story, or leave out context for the sake of entertainment.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 01:15:22 PM by oldbike54 »
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2019, 03:57:15 PM »
As an aside, I read the book The World's Fastest Indian. I was looking forward to the movie.They took an awful lot of liberties in the movie. It kind of made Burt look like a huge risk taker with corner cutting. But there were legitimate reasons why he did what he did. As an example the movie made it look like he used plowshares to make parts because he couldn't afford new steel when in fact he used the plowshares because of the high quality steel and readily available. A great book by the way, I should read it again.
kk

If you get the DVD, you'll also get a copy of the documentary that movie producer made when he younger.  You'll note many differences in the movie and the actual events.  But it still a great movie but whether it was a "true story" or not-  it is a matter of defining "truth".
John L 

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2019, 08:36:34 PM »
I am currently raising two teenagers, one is a voracious reader with an almost photographic memory. Watching movie versions of books she has read is difficult over the noise of grinding teeth & protests of 'that's not in the book'.  :rolleyes:
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2019, 07:03:32 AM »
To anyone who complains and whinges about it I would like to ask where your 100% factual documentary is? I'd like to see it.

RCR in Detroit built 28 of the GT40s used in the movie as well as some of the other cars.

http://race-car-replicas.com/ford-vs-ferrari-project
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

oldbike54

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2019, 07:37:29 AM »
To anyone who complains and whinges about it I would like to ask where your 100% factual documentary is? I'd like to see it.

RCR in Detroit built 28 of the GT40s used in the movie as well as some of the other cars.

http://race-car-replicas.com/ford-vs-ferrari-project

The 24 Hour War is pretty good , heck , even the doc made by the guy that made the new movie isn't bad .

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2019, 08:19:14 AM »
The Wizard of Oz was always my favorite documentary. Man, those flying monkeys  :wink:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2019, 09:14:09 AM »
The 24 Hour War is pretty good , heck , even the doc made by the guy that made the new movie isn't bad .

Dusty

I have to see that next.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2019, 09:17:09 AM »
The Wizard of Oz was always my favorite documentary. Man, those flying monkeys  :wink:

Ha!

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2019, 11:09:17 AM »
We all know it's only a movie.  If you don't want to see it or don't like the characters portrayed in it, fine.  But no one is saying there ever was a movie that was a "true story" to the final detail.   Movies can still be entertaining and educational.  This one has been picked apart here and elsewhere, myself included.  It was still a good flick.

However, it does explain Dusty's fascination with South Park  :grin:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2019, 12:59:57 PM »
Saw it this weekend and really enjoyed it.

As someone said, not much time paid to the Ferrari side and Enzo doesn't come of particularly well. Unlike HR2, he'd actually been a driver at one point tho!

Great story here:  https://www.motorwebmuseum.it/en/places/modena/the-history-of-the-prancing-horse/

Franceso Barracs'a Spad III is hanging in the Venice Airport.

Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

oldbike54

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2019, 01:27:21 PM »
 Yeah , well , close encounters of the third kind wasn't a documentary either , and yet ...

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2019, 05:10:26 PM »
Yeah , well , close encounters of the third kind wasn't a documentary either , and yet ...

Dusty

Here ya go, a real documentary.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81083891

Actually I saw it.  I find it fascinating. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 05:11:32 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2019, 05:47:14 PM »
Ford v Ferrari is a "chick flick"..... Yes it is,at least if your chick is a gearhead like my wife is! She absolutely loved it! Said the sound and "feel" of the cars made her feel like she was in the drivers seat. She said she had never felt that in a movie before.
 we did see it in a new theatre that opened up in Tucson,and has their own big screen  version of IMAX, I think they call it XD or something. You sure can feel the sounds in your chest, without it being excessively loud for your ears.
It was a long movie, but a good one! :thumb:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here