Author Topic: 2020 Moto Guzzi V7 lll Stone S  (Read 6299 times)

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
Jerry
Florida

Offline jbhotchkiss

• New Egg
Re: 2020 Moto Guzzi V7 lll Stone S
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 12:59:12 PM »
I like it.  A lot.

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 03:12:27 PM »
I immediately thought the "S" would denote a big upgrade for the suspension.  Silly me.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 03:59:31 PM »
Looks good.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 03:59:31 PM »

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 04:28:12 PM »
that bike is as special as a pimple on a fifteen year old!
BORING!
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 04:36:17 PM »
Wow Guzzi really pushed the envelope with this :thumb:. New tank emblem, leather tank flog AND thinner rear fender all in the same model year  :bow: :bow:

I'll agree it does take us back to the 70's……...1978 exactly when the V50 was released. Who'd a thunk 41 years later Guzzi would still be trying to squeeze the teat for more.

Same old turd just a different color of polish

YAWN!

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 08:04:03 PM »
Never quite sure why the negative comments so often on the V7.  It's styling-nothing inherently wrong with that, is there?
Yes, I understand it's "limited performance."  Doesn't seem to bother a lot of owners. 

Serious question.  What am I missing?  Keep it focused on motorcycles, please! :azn:
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 01:52:35 AM »

I'll agree it does take us back to the 70's……...1978 exactly when the V50 was released. Who'd a thunk 41 years later Guzzi would still be trying to squeeze the teat for more.

YAWN!

Funny! Now that´s exactly why I bought my Stone new in 2013.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 05:04:18 AM »
Never quite sure why the negative comments so often on the V7.  It's styling-nothing inherently wrong with that, is there?
Yes, I understand it's "limited performance."  Doesn't seem to bother a lot of owners. 

Serious question.  What am I missing?  Keep it focused on motorcycles, please! :azn:

Would you get excited if Ford re-released the Pinto using the same, body, frame, suspension with a bored out engine and LED headlights wih an paint job inspired by a GT500. Then for the next 10 years bring out a new paint shceme or wrap the steering wheel in pleather as the highlight for that model year to make it stand out from previous years.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 05:08:33 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 05:19:08 AM »

Put me down as a fan of polished turds.  I like it!   :grin:

Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 05:40:15 AM »

Some of u s want better, premium suspension.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 05:45:55 AM »
OK.  I get that.
But I don't think I would care.  Further, one always votes with their pocketbook.  And that's the beauty of it, eh? We get to get what  we want.
But, I don't think the Ford thing is the complete story.  It appears that some want something else from the factory-a different allocation of resources and talent-in the form of a different motorcycle-is that it?  THAT is always an interesting discussion.

Is the model too long in the tooth?  Is performance "lacking"?  Is an Aerostitch the Ford Pinto of motorcycle suits?  Interested to hear how it all plays out.  Lots of folks here know what they are talking about.

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 05:47:48 AM »
Rocker,
Couldn't agree more.  That seems to be a issue with new motorcycles at every stage of the price scale.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 06:16:38 AM »
Would you get excited if Ford re-released the Pinto using the same, body, frame, suspension with a bored out engine and LED headlights wih an paint job inspired by a GT500. Then for the next 10 years bring out a new paint shceme or wrap the steering wheel in pleather as the highlight for that model year to make it stand out from previous years.

That was a laughingly stupid analogy on the basis that it was so extremely exaggerated it cannot be taken seriously.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 06:22:37 AM »

No, but e.g. the Volkswagen Beetle. Or the Jaguar E-Type. Or the Mercedes-Benz Pagoda. Or the Renault Floride.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 06:26:18 AM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 06:40:39 AM »
Put me down as a fan of polished turds.  I like it!   :grin:

Me too.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 07:11:23 AM »
I think it's probably the coolest of any limited/special release V7 to date

I'd take this over any Racer they have produced so far, the various cafesport/ milano/ rough/ night/ carbon....  or any of the other special editions. LED lighting as actually a worthwhile upgrade on a bike like this that's built for intown riding or commuting with occasional twisty backroad jaunts.

If you want ohlins, buy some ohlins and put them on there... maybe you are silly enough to think a $7k moto with under 50hp needs 3k worth of rear shocks... not me. No one is draggin a knee on a MG 750.... Top of the line racing shocks on this bike are akin to putting a big spoiler and a fart can muffler on your stock Honda Civic. Now if you are a suspension geek (90% of motorcyclists dont know anything about suspension beyond preload adjustment) you could always get some Icon shocks and a fork kit for $5-800...  That would be fitting.  But you guys acting like a bike with a 100mph top speed and a single front disc needs a full ohlins suspension upgrade are crazy.

Only thing it needs IMHO is a tach. But it looks awesome, love the rear end (lights & fender) and the tank finish especially.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 08:01:36 AM »
The V7 is a beautiful, well finished motorcycle.  It's not a sportbike.  It's not a full dress touring bike.  It's a standard motorcycle.  Whine and bitch about what it isn't or what it doesn't have and you look like a clown.  I know this because I used to whine and bitch that it didn't have enough horsepower.  When I gained some perspective and accepted the bike for what it is, I learned to appreciate it more.   

A normal enthusiast wouldn't whine that a Nighthawk didn't have the same suspension as a CBR1000RR.  That sort of thing happens here daily.  Whole bunch of bike snobs  posting without adding anything but negativity.       

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 08:19:53 AM »

If you want ohlins, buy some ohlins and put them on there... maybe you are silly enough to think a $7k moto with under 50hp needs 3k worth of rear shocks... not me. No one is draggin a knee on a MG 750.... Top of the line racing shocks on this bike are akin to putting a big spoiler and a fart can muffler on your stock Honda Civic. Now if you are a suspension geek (90% of motorcyclists dont know anything about suspension beyond preload adjustment) you could always get some Icon shocks and a fork kit for $5-800...  That would be fitting.  But you guys acting like a bike with a 100mph top speed and a single front disc needs a full ohlins suspension upgrade are crazy.

You don't get it.  That's OK.  The bikes seem to sell well at their pricepoint with their shitebox forks and shocks.

If a maker names a bike "S", "Sport", "R", "Racer", the expectation is upgraded forks, shocks, brakes, wheels, tires.

I have enjoyed several motorcycles over the past couple decades which were equipped with nice suspenion.  If you have not, you don't know what you're missing.  And horsepower has nothing to do with it.  These bikes could benefit from better cycle parts.

Those of us who want the nice suspension understand that it won't be at a $6990 price point, but we'll have to pay for it.  Just look at the offerings from Triumph.  You can buy a bargain basement Bonneville with shitebox suspension.  You can buy a Bonneville with top-shelf brakes, shocks, wheels/tires, and USD forks.

Guzzi really has jumped the shark with the never ending parade of "bold new graphics" "models" on the V7 platform.

Give me a V7 III S with nice piggyback shocks, nice USD fork, 17" wheels/tires, dual disk brakes.  No, it doesn't have to be Ohlins, though that would be great.  Showa would be fine.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 08:21:41 AM »
the brand has exactly one bike that actually sells and you guys with 30 year old 'sport' bikes (that werent even segment class beaters when they were new) shit all over it... ponderous
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:26:27 AM by Mayor_of_BBQ »
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 08:23:23 AM »
The V7 is a beautiful, well finished motorcycle.  It's not a sportbike.  It's not a full dress touring bike.  It's a standard motorcycle.  Whine and bitch about what it isn't or what it doesn't have and you look like a clown.  I know this because I used to whine and bitch that it didn't have enough horsepower.  When I gained some perspective and accepted the bike for what it is, I learned to appreciate it more.   

A normal enthusiast wouldn't whine that a Nighthawk didn't have the same suspension as a CBR1000RR.  That sort of thing happens here daily.  Whole bunch of bike snobs  posting without adding anything but negativity.     

:boozing:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 08:23:48 AM »
The V7 line is certainly no race bike.  With that said it's still a reasonable goal to have a decent ride when you hit a bump/pothole/frost heave.  My Stelvio NTX had great suspension so I know that Guzzi can build a bike with a better ride.  Somehow Ducati was able to offer a suspension upgrade on my Multistrada for about $1K (to Ohlins, BTW).  The stock forks and shocks on the V7 line are, for the most part, bargain basement units.  I am convinced that Guzzi could offer a V7 Special or Stone with far better suspension and charge less than $1K...far less.  As it is we are stuck with shocks that are over sprung and no spring options, limited valving adjustment.  On the front end we have old school metering rod forks with no adjustment.

As delivered I could not ride my V7 for more than 100 miles because the suspension was so hard on my back.  If that makes me sound like a whiner...so be it.  At this point in life I'd like to avoid another bout of back surgery.  The last round was all the fun I could stand!
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 08:33:34 AM »
the brand has exactly one bike that actually sells and you guys with 30 year old 'sport' bikes (that werent even segment class beaters when they were new) shit all over it... ponderous

I can guarantee you that the Marzocchi M1 forks and WP rear shock on my 1996 Sport 1100 are better than any suspension applied to a V7/V9, to date.  Even at 23 years old !!!

I actually considered converting the last V7 I owned to the vintage Marzocchi front suspension, because I like it so much, and the stock forks on my 2014 V7 were so abysmal.   Alas, I got my head straight and just sold the V7...  Now I'm content to shout from the rooftops, hoping Guzzi will hear the call to actually provide a suspenion/brake/wheel option for the small block line.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:48:52 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 08:45:02 AM »
Maybe Ashville, NC had perfect roads-never been there.  But the northeast has horrible under maintained frost heaved roads in some of the best twisties.  Stock, as delivered V7 shocks and forks are, as Rocker points out , SHITE!  As others have pointed out, there is ZERO chance of setting up the stock V7 so as to not get launched out of the seat dozens of times before a lunch stop.  And that experience does not require  "race speed" on a public road.

Hamlin, who lives and rides all over New England has become one of the go to shops for upgrades-from basic to "all the way".  It makes a HUGE difference in enjoyment of the modified motorcycle-at any speed.

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2019, 08:50:02 AM »

I have enjoyed several motorcycles over the past couple decades which were equipped with nice suspenion.  If you have not, you don't know what you're missing.  And horsepower has nothing to do with it.  These bikes could benefit from better cycle parts.

This is so true!
I've enjoyed the Ohlins shocks on many of my two wheelers and what a difference in just everyday riding they can make.

I put them on my Beemer and every time I have had them rebuilt if I need to take a trip I reinstall the stock stuff and it makes a huge difference in the ride quality.

:-)
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2019, 08:58:00 AM »
The V7 doesn't have Ohlins for the same reason my Ducati Scrambler doesn't and the SV650 doesn't and all of the other middleweight standards don't.  The 7-8k price point is extremely competitive.  If you think there are thousands, hundreds or even dozens of US riders pining away, with fistfulls of cash for a 45hp motorcycle with two thousand dollars worth of suspension you're out of your mind.  There aren't. 

You don't put a Swarovski Z8i on a Daisy Red Rider.     

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2019, 09:03:04 AM »
It’s been stated already, and it’s demonstrable if someone wants to do the homework, 9 out of 10 riders ride what their bike came with and never change a thing.  They apparently don’t know or don’t care that better suspensions are available.  It’s easy for owners who want too, to upgrade after purchase with lots of options.

Guzzi sells far fewer v7s than Triumph sells Bonnevilles.   The difference in scale may have a good deal to do with why Triumph does and Guzzi does not?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2019, 09:08:22 AM »
Maybe Ashville, NC had perfect roads-never been there.  But the northeast has horrible under maintained frost heaved roads in some of the best twisties.  Stock, as delivered V7 shocks and forks are, as Rocker points out , SHITE!  As others have pointed out, there is ZERO chance of setting up the stock V7 so as to not get launched out of the seat dozens of times before a lunch stop.  And that experience does not require  "race speed" on a public road.

BOOM - you may have hit on something here.

Come to think of it the time my Jackal broke the HB luggage rack (after hitting a bump) I was on my way to the Damn Yankee Beemer/Guzzi Rally.

PA has SOME crappy roads, or so I thought when I lived there, but my somewhat infrequent trips to new england states were sometimes shocking with regards to the extent of the frost heaves.

NJ roads (except some urban pot-holed areas) are generally pretty damn good.

And thinking back on last months road trip to AL and back there were WAY MORE good roads than bad (with regards to pavement quality).

NOW COUPLE ALL OF THAT WITH THE FACT THAT I SET UP THE STOCK SUSPENSION ON MY MK I STONE SO THAT I WAS RARELY EVER LAUNCHED FROM THE SEAT.

I think that at least SOME of what we are seeing in this thread are differences in ambient conditions.

Other differences are probably in simple preference (expectations), riding style (aggressiveness), etc.

Our current fleet has 4 bikes, 3 with completely stock suspensions and 1 that has a set of take-off shocks that I bought ALONG with a seat I wanted for less than either would have cost. I might still have the stock shocks otherwise. And I have no need/plan/desire to change the stock FORK on the Mk I stone (or MK III Dark).

I might feel differently if I lived or rode somewhere else under different conditions.

And I've ridden plenty of (even owned a few) bikes with MUCH better suspension. I KNOW the difference. I just don't value it the same as some of you guys. And that's fine. But then frankly either this bike isn't for you, or at least it isn't for you AT THIS PRICE POINT.

As for the constant stream of negativity and umbrage, it's stupid. Move on.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 09:28:14 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2019, 09:25:57 AM »
Exactly Kev.   The v7, for a small Italian mfg, is surprisingly competitive in virtually all areas with its direct competition such as the 883, T100, Int650 and similar.   Let’s find another horse to beat.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2019, 09:39:03 AM »

I think that at least SOME of what we are seeing in this thread are differences in ambient conditions.

And rider weight.

The suspension is designed for a rider of a certain weight, and as a cheap/economy system, if you're far from that ideal weight, the suspension will be even worse.

Rich A

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here