Author Topic: Swamp Scooters Rally 2015  (Read 3485 times)

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
Swamp Scooters Rally 2015
« on: August 22, 2015, 01:19:49 PM »
Any announcement yet? I can't find any info. on it anywhere.

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Swamp Scooters Rally 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 01:45:17 PM »
Nick,

I got word from Bruce Lawson that the rally seems to be changing quite a bit.  The gentleman who was the driving force has passed away and the format is going to be more like a NAR with no registration, no meals, no gumbo cookoff, etc.

If you find out anything different, let us know.  I was planning on going, even in the car if the weather forecast was any worse than last year.  The weather was great down there but the trip back home was a bit on the chilly side.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

lucydad

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 02:34:01 PM »
Somewhere in Louisiana, correct?

Any approximate dates? 

We lived 5 years in Lafayette, and I have a soft spot in my heart for Acadiana..

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 02:39:03 PM »
Somewhere in Louisiana, correct?  Any approximate dates?....

Yes, it is in Lafayette.  The dates I have on my riding calendar are November 6-8, 2015.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 02:39:03 PM »

lucydad

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 02:43:03 PM »
Chuck,

Lafayette is about 5 hours from Houston on I-10, but a better route would avoid the truck choked slab.  Coastal road would be better or up, then east, then down.

Do they camp, or what is the venue please?  Could be an excellent event for me to attend.

thanks!

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 02:53:08 PM »
LD,

Here is the link to last year's event.  Check it out:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=72792.0

This is Swamp Scooters website:

http://www.swampscooters.net/rally.html

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 03:38:54 PM »
Chuck,
I had a great time last year with you guys and was planning to attend again. I also heard something like you just stated, but wanted to see if anyone else had additional information. I'll wait for David (Leafman) to chime in.
BTW, the ride back back to New Jersey was somewhat cold also. I had electrics, but could have used heated socks.
Nick

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:39:45 PM by Nick »

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 04:15:06 PM »
Hate to hear this.  I've sent message asking about preregistration but no reply.  Swamp Scooters was always one of the highlights of the fall rally season.

I know that the committee has been meeting, but haven't been privy to any scuttle butt from from my LA buddies. 

300 plus in attendance last year may have just gotten to big.
Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 10:59:56 PM »
The rally is still on and I cannot imagine that they would change it is drastically as feared. Royce G is president of swamp scooters & I know him. I will contact him and report back.

Lots of fun things to do in that area.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 11:03:56 PM by leafman60 »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 10:47:47 AM »
I talked with Royce this morning. He's the president of the club. Basically it's all true.

There will be changes this year. No gumbo cook-off competition is planned. A food truck will be there from which people can buy food. There will be no games or events during the day on Saturday as in the past either.

Basically, they will have a get together where you can come,  camp and go have food and entertainment at all the many places surrounding the campground. Royce referred to it as a rally of least resistance.

The problem has been that the rally has become a tremendous amount of work for the very small club there and they are pretty much tired of doing it all. They are almost agitated at the pressure and work that it takes to pull the thing off.

Some of the folks wanted to simply cancel the rally altogether but the fallback position has been to let people come and camp and socialize but to eliminate all the work intensive things that were done in the past to make it the fabulous rally that it has been for several years.

The firm date for the rally has not been determined but It will be announced soon. It will be in early November.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:16:02 PM by leafman60 »

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 12:27:08 PM »
I'm still planning to go regardless.  Haven't seen my LA buddies all year as LA State Rally was victim of this Springs floods.  No worries about getting fed in Lafayette. :food:  Planning on Thur thru Sunday as usual, although I might pack a tent this year.  Three hammocks packed so closely together created a Bermuda Triangle of snorting, snoring and farting. :evil:
Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here