Author Topic: Can't sleep, so minor ramblings  (Read 2212 times)

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
Can't sleep, so minor ramblings
« on: August 23, 2015, 01:28:10 AM »
There was a grand opening today at a huge new Harley dealership in Iowa City. Rode up with my son and nephew just as a destination. Lots of eye candy, from shiny new stuff to an early Electra-Glide that looked brand new, to leggy young girls washing bikes. Sat on a few. No love at all for a model I've not seen before, a Sportster derivative called a 48. Found another regular Sportster thing that fit decent. The big ones are all too much weight and I hate sitting above the heat those things generate anyway. Lots of killer paint and chrome. I never saw one that I would rather have than a choice I can get from Guzzi. I have relative who's had, by his count, 13 new Harleys over the years, and as many used ones. He has had a couple that were OK, but his tales of woe even under warranty still scare me silly. He just shrugs it off as part of the game. I know this new stuff is not all that trouble, the roads are full of them, but even with deep pockets I would still pass. Seems like no matter the brand, problems are getting way too pricey for my old blood. And I never got the chance to pick up a like new Cal III yet anyway.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline mach1mustang351

• Hatchling
Re: Can't sleep, so minor ramblings
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 02:32:02 AM »
I work for a Harley dealership and as far as I can see the warranty woes and such are blown out of proportion.  I hardly see bikes come in for serious or debilitating issues and those tend to be handles to satisfaction.  As with anything I'm sure it depends on the dealer and how painless the process is.  Anyone can have a bad time or a great time at a dealership of any label. 

They are good running and riding bikes when they are up to speed.  They have tons of options and availability and dealer support.  That, and the community is a huge plus to a lot of people.  To the point many "off brand" bike owners go to Harley dealers to hang out and talk with other bike folks.  It really is a lot of fun working in that kind of environment. 

If Guzzi was as popular and abundant as Harley would we all like them like we do??  Maybe, maybe not...   

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 07:21:26 AM »
There was a grand opening today at a huge new Harley dealership in Iowa City. Rode up with my son and nephew just as a destination. Lots of eye candy, from shiny new stuff to an early Electra-Glide that looked brand new, to leggy young girls washing bikes. Sat on a few. .....

What'd the girls think about THAT?   Maybe they expected it ....    :laugh:

I had a new 1984 ElectraGlide ... last of the shovelheads, with a belt final drive.    I thought it was a really nice bike for the way I generally ride, and took heart from the fact that a clutch from a 1949 model would fit it (lots of parts interchangeability for long-term ownership).

Life circumstances being what they were, I got rid of it after a couple of years with about 25,000 miles on it.   Great two-up bike, and just for a lark, I rode it to work one morning when the temperature was -10F (and it started even with the Harley 50W oil in it).

But they don't have anything today I'm really interested in, although it's probably me that's changed and not the bikes.   To me, motorcycling is 50% the ride and 50% the people you meet on the road and rally with and fix bikes with, and Guzzi is 100% when it comes to that .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 08:46:15 AM »
Good catch Lannis, I thought he ment sitting on the bikes!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 08:46:15 AM »

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 08:47:29 AM »
I have relative who's had, by his count, 13 new Harleys over the years, and as many used ones. He has had a couple that were OK, but his tales of woe even under warranty still scare me silly.
Seems like your relative is either a slow learner, a glutton for punishment, or a major investor in HD.  If this is the kind of customer HD can attract and keep, they'll stay in business forever.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 12:02:48 PM »
Seems like your relative is either a slow learner, a glutton for punishment, or a major investor in HD.  If this is the kind of customer HD can attract and keep, they'll stay in business forever.

Although he COULD be like my friend David Mc., whom I went to school with, and who died in an industrial accident a couple years back.

He did 20 years in the Navy, and when he got out, he got a "seasonal" job to supplement his pension that let him be off in the spring and fall every year.

He was a big bearded guy, but beyond that had no characteristics of the HD "Biker Stereotype".   Every year (and I mean every year) he would ride his HD dresser to Laconia, and to Sturgis, and to the Grand Canyon, and to Daytona.    He put about 50,000 miles a year on his bike, and he would trade bikes every other year.    He probably went through 10 Harleys in the time I knew him, but there were serious miles on every one of them.

HD needs more customers like David .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here