Author Topic: V7II, long term battery removal, issues?  (Read 1238 times)

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
V7II, long term battery removal, issues?
« on: July 23, 2016, 09:33:32 AM »
I've read here recently of killing the main flow of electricity to the motorcycle (main fuse removal, pulling the battery) in an effort to reset various control functions of the bike's brain.

Last fall when I had the most recent map installed on my V7II Stone, I followed Pete's advice to pull the main fuse for a bit, then start the cold bike and without touching the throttle let it come up to full operating temp in an effort to get the brain to learn... something, something about cold start/cold idle improvement?  (Cold being the engine is at "riding season" air temp, not near/below freezing temps.)

I'm not a mechanic.  But these recent references have me thinking.  At the start of winter I pulled the battery (along with my other bike, as I've done forever) and put it in my heated shop for winter storage, getting a monthly trickle charge to boot.

In doing this, am I in fact causing some sort of unwanted reset of the computer brain?  Should I have also repeated Pete's procedure outlined above after spring battery reinstallation?

No matter the ambient air temp, I always have to wait probably 2 minutes after a "cold" start before the bike will successfully pull away without stalling.  Moderate surging during that cold start warm up is also the norm.

Maybe it's time to invest in the GuzziDiag process?

Thoughts?  Thanks.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

pete roper

Re: V7II, long term battery removal, issues?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 02:26:29 PM »
The theory I was told was that by doing the 'No throttle/Run till hot' procedure you would enable the MUIG3 to learn a warm-up trim. In my experience, with Craig's bike, it was less than brilliant. All irrelevant now as the MUIG3 can now be made to run OL and have a proper map built with warm-up corrections that actually work.

Pete

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here