Author Topic: So, how are you liking the new "A Prairie Home Companion"?  (Read 2282 times)

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
So, how are you liking the new "A Prairie Home Companion"?
« on: November 12, 2016, 06:44:21 PM »
I'm liking it.  A nice mix of musical/multiple guests, they still have some of the skits, and it seems Chris Thile is becoming more comfortable guiding the ship and interacting with the regulars and guests.

Live from Philly tonight.  Listen or watch from here-
https://www.prairiehome.org

Oh, Sophia took me out for some motorcycle-related errands this afternoon.  (Guzzi content.)

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: So, how are you liking the new "A Prairie Home Companion"?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
  it seems Chris Thile is becoming more comfortable guiding the ship and interacting with the regulars and guests.

and he can really wail on the Mandolin! last week he scored on the Star Wars theme.. great musician..
missed it tonight but I'll hear the re-run tomorrow..
I love radio!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 09:48:56 PM »
It's been pretty good.  I like it better than I thought I would. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 09:51:11 PM »
I like it a lot. Always been a fan of Chris'
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 09:51:11 PM »

Offline Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 10:10:14 PM »
Couldn't stand Garrison Keilor, so anything is an improvement.
'73 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, '16 Moto Guzzi Stornello, '14 Harley Ultra Classic, '12 Harley Wide Glide, '97 Honda XR600R

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 07:45:37 AM »
  +++++++100

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 07:57:59 AM »
:thumb:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 09:33:35 AM »
1.  The show isn't as good without Garrison.  The majority of listeners would say so.  The show isn't bad, it's better than expected and enjoyable.

2.  Garrison started the show.  The format and most of the actors and musicians are the same.  There would be no show without Garrison since he started it, produced it, wrote it and hired everyone on it.

3.  Chris was given his start by Garrison.  Garrison had him on the show when he was a teen.  And without Garrison not only would there not be a show, Chris would not have this opportunity.

4.  And I know that you guys don't like Garrison largely due to his politics.  Chris has also been political in his songs and words.  He's not as articulate but he is political.  And I doubt Garrison would've selected him otherwise.

5.  Hopefully, over time you'll hate Chris as much as you do Garrison.  Just keep listening.   :grin:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 12:33:42 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 09:43:37 AM »
1.  The show isn't as good without Garrison.  The majority of listeners would say so.  The show isn't bad, it's better than expected and enjoyable.

2.  Garrison started the show.  The format and most of the actors and musicians are the same.  There would be no without Garrison since he started it, produced it, wrote it and hired everyone on it.

3.  Chris was given his start by Garrison.  Garrison had him on the show when he was a teen.  And without Garrison not only would there not be a show, Chris would not have this opportunity.

4.  And I know that you guys don't like Garrison largely due to his politics.  Chris has also been political in his songs and words.  He's not as articulate but he is political.  And I doubt Garrison would've selected him otherwise.

5.  Hopefully, over time you'll hate Chris as much as you do Garrison.  Just keep listening.   :grin:

Chris is very talented and an awesome musician. He had that before garrison had him on the show. I find garrison's monotone voice and his droll, drawn out explanations quite boring. His politics didn't have much of an influence on me because I couldn't stay with it long enough to hear it.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 09:48:53 AM »
no question Johnny, that Chris is a major talent.  Garrison discovered him and hired him on his radio show.  Without Garrison, there'd be a talented guy without a radio show, perhaps unknown like a lot of other talented people. 

And you can't compare Chris' voice to Garrison.  Chris is squeaker and needs an announcer and he is not an author and has to rely on his guests and writers for humor and narration.

Hopefully you'll hate Chris as much as you do Garrison. 
John L 

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 10:16:14 AM »
no question Johnny, that Chris is a major talent.  Garrison discovered him and hired him on his radio show.  Without Garrison, there'd be a talented guy without a radio show, perhaps unknown like a lot of other talented people. 

And you can't compare Chris' voice to Garrison.  Chris is squeaker and  :boozing:needs an announcer and he is not an author and has to rely on his guests and writers for humor and narration.

Hopefully you'll hate Chris as much as you do Garrison. 

Never said I "hated" anyone John. I just did not find his tone interesting. He's like listening to a golf game Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

His way of rambling on and on and on...........zzzzzz zzzzzz

Loved the music on the show. I appreciate music more than spoken word, just me  :boozing: :boozing:

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 10:38:25 AM »
 Now I am very confused , some of you listened to a show created by a guy you don't like , and without whom the show wouldn't exist . So how would you know whether you liked the guy and his successor if the show never existed , so now we circle back to the aforementioned fella that some of you don't like and his boring monotone , that obviously should have prevented the show from ever existing , except that without that guy possessing the monotone the show wouldn't have existed anyway , and the comparison between the relative merits of the show's creator and his replacement couldn't occur because , well , there would have never been a show . So you can see where the confusion comes in , or maybe you completely understand how in an alternate reality something can exist without ever having existed  :huh:

Dusty

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 11:07:45 AM »
Well, personally, I loved Garrison's monologues. <shrug> True, sometimes they didn't really go anywhere, but there was some dry humor that gave me a grin. You never knew, really, where he was going sometimes.. and I don't think he did either. I read somewhere that many times, he just pulled them out of the air as he was speaking.
The "new" show is more serious (and scripted) to me. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 12:35:12 PM »
Never said I "hated" anyone John. I just did not find his tone interesting. He's like listening to a golf game Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

His way of rambling on and on and on...........zzzzzz zzzzzz

Loved the music on the show. I appreciate music more than spoken word, just me  :boozing: :boozing:

And Chris sounds a little bit like Mickey Mouse. 

So that should keep you awake.
John L 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here