Author Topic: Royal Enfield Himalayan in the press, MN Motorcycle Monthly  (Read 3183 times)

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
Royal Enfield Himalayan in the press, MN Motorcycle Monthly
« on: December 04, 2016, 11:35:19 AM »
The new Royal Enfield Himalayan is in our local press.  Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly, Winter 2016, Issue #180, features the new Royal Enfield Himalayan.  In late August, the paper's managing editor was invited to the new N. American HQ in Milwaukee to review a prototype version, and the article has been put in print.  There is also an interview with RE NA Prez Rod Copes.  By around the end of December the review will also be posted to their website, www.mnmotorcycle.co m

Overall, the MMM editor liked the bike.  "I like to categorize bikes and I would put this one in the "Everyday Bike" category.  I spent my riding time in Milwaukee on city streets and the Himalayan was great.  The suspension wasn't too hard or too soft, there was plenty of acceleration and maneuvering around potholes was a breeze.  I don't think it would do well with hardcore off-road riding but gravel roads and basic trails, you could do all day."

If you are in the MN area, stop at your local MMM newsstand locations for a copy, or watch their website.  (Shameless personal plug, the website currently shows a review that I contributed to for the Honda Africa Twin. :grin:)

I like its looks, and I want to ride one.  Projected US price will be in the $4-5000 range.  410cc single, all new frame and parts, nothing shared with other RE bikes.  The prototype was fitted with a carb, but a US version would need fuel injection, the article stated.  Article photos show a very relaxed, upright position, feet under thighs and with a 30" leg his photo showed a greater-than 90 degree open knee bend.  Sweet!  A perfect commuter and back road exploration machine.

24.5hp, 23ft.lb torque.  I wonder if it could handle a Cozy sidecar, like their other models do?  (Probably off-highway, if at all.)

Google has all sorts of images of the bike, too.
Official RE Himalaya website-
https://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/himalayan/

Steve.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 11:40:03 AM by stevet »
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

twowings

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan in the press, MN Motorcycle Monthly
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 03:21:10 PM »
I'm anxious to ride one, too.

It looks like a perfect ADV bike...could possibly be turned into the mini-Stelvio I've always wanted...

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 04:20:09 PM »
dig it, dual front fenders..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 04:43:10 PM »
In chronological order, in the 12 seasons of riding I've got, I've ridden a 750cc/4cyl, 1100/2, 650/2, 1300/4, and a 750/2.  And although I cannot deny the thrill factor of opening the throttle of my previous EV's 1100cc V-twin, or my current FJR's 1300cc in-line four, all the mid-size engines I've owned have worked wonderfully.  My 650cc VStrom hauled me and my heavy Pelican cases all day long without hesitation.  Sophia (my new Stone) can run down the freeway like her hair is on fire.  They have plenty of power for my single rider style, and they have enough power to haul the crap I've strapped onto them.  Yes, this Royal Enfield Himalayan only sports a 410cc single, but if the bike only weighs 401lbs (curb weight, so I guess you need to add 4 gal of gas and maybe oil), I'd guess it will be just fine in most circumstances shy of high speed interstates.  It doesn't seem built for those, anyway.  Remember the days when 750-900cc was large, 350-500cc was mid-size, and below that was "beginner size"?  As time goes by, I'm more for the modestly sized motorcycles, both in engine size and is overall bulk.  And lower cost to purchase and operate.  I'm really looking forward to seeing this bike in person.  And with a pretty comfy price, I may find it a good addition to my fleet.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 04:43:10 PM »

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 04:52:42 PM »
Ergonomics-

Dashboard-

Looking nice!

https://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/himalayan/bike/features

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR

-George Eastman.

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 08:39:22 PM »
I like the idea but then I see something weird or awkward. Then I spot a strange angle. Maybe in person it would look better, especially in yellow or red. I love the instrument cluster.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 08:55:19 PM »
can I just say, Suzuki does it better with a 2o YO design..and single front fender.. :copcar:

granted no fuel gauge or tach and I dont need a compass..
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:58:10 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 09:00:48 PM »
can I just say, Suzuki does it better with a 2o YO design..and single front fender.. :copcar:

granted no fuel gauge or tach and I dont need a compass..

No you can not
you know its a  sickness needing/wanting a new bike
2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 09:10:25 PM »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline JesterGrin_1

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 01:36:01 AM »
 I know it is different but I do not think it will even come close to the Suzuki DRZ400 or as mentioned the Suzuki 650 or even the lowly Kawasaki KLR650. But it is different.

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 07:59:46 AM »
Different is what appeals to me.  Very much like why Guzzi appeals to me.  The underdog, the little guy (here in North America, anyway, not in its native land).  And I like the more road bike look rather than the more mx/off road look of the Suzuki and KLR, both of which are more heavily designed and suited for off-pavement capability.  I'd think the Himalayan will be attractive to people looking at VStroms more than these 2 Suzukis or the KLR.  Use it within its design parameters (forest roads and rural highways, no sweat) and I'd be happy all day long.

The new engine gives up a couple top end hp from the 500cc RE engines, but it also gives up substantial torque, to the tune of 20-25% less torque than the 500cc, per the RE website.  So maybe it's not a tug for a tub, I guess I should not dream of it for sidecar duty.  That's fine, but man, that would be cool.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR

-George Eastman.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 08:40:51 AM »
Finally a Royal Enfield with a counter-balanced engine!
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 11:33:28 AM »
 Hey!  Enfield finally built a modern motorsickel.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here