Author Topic: new Fiat 124 Spider, what have I done?  (Read 4875 times)

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
Re: new Fiat 124 Spider, what have I done?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2017, 03:20:32 PM »
Uh, that's the salesperson who brought me for a test ride...?

Steve.

and that fact had nothing to do with the sale right?   :evil:
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2017, 04:38:25 PM »

and that fact had nothing to do with the sale right?   :evil:

Uh, very persuasive.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Offline danomar

• Hatchling
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2017, 05:52:15 PM »
Not that I rate MotorTrend or any other car review organization, but MotorTrend ranked the 124 Abarth as the top Leftover driver's car:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/fiat/124-spider/2017/chevrolet-camaro-1le-bmw-m2-ford-focus-rs-fiat-124-spider-abarth-porsche-718-boxster-s-toyota-86/

Just saying that you picked a good car to obsess over.   :thumb:

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2017, 10:34:28 PM »
Not that I rate MotorTrend or any other car review organization, but MotorTrend ranked the 124 Abarth as the top Leftover driver's car:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/fiat/124-spider/2017/chevrolet-camaro-1le-bmw-m2-ford-focus-rs-fiat-124-spider-abarth-porsche-718-boxster-s-toyota-86/

Just saying that you picked a good car to obsess over.   :thumb:

I'm buying the more tame Classica  :cool: rather than the rowdy Abarth  :evil:, but I know I'm going to enjoy this, a lot.  I sure hope spring comes early here in MN.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2017, 10:34:28 PM »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2017, 07:13:08 AM »
That one would tempt me too.  My first car was an Alfa Spider.  Then later had two 240Z's (about 10yrs apart).

The little Fiat is just the thing to be a bit different than the Mazda crowd.  And I do like turbos.  My two favorite vehicles in the world are my Cummins truck and my old WRX.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2017, 09:35:22 AM »
Most of the reviews favor the Miata, but the Fiat has it hands down in the looks department.
1973 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, 2016 Moto Guzzi Stornello, 2023 Vespa Primavera

Offline uncle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2017, 05:49:27 PM »
Mine was a 1975 124 Spider in bright yellow with a black top...  I rode it back and forth fro Virginia to Vermont until the engine blew.  I have a wanderlust  for the new version for nostalgia sake - I fear I may not fit in it as the Miata is a bit small for me.
Ever onward...

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2017, 06:01:48 PM »
I think I remember '78  X19 a bit differently, cramped, underpowered, cheap suspension, and the front end would float at high speed. My brother's Porsche 914 was superior in every way. After 6 months I traded it for a new Alfa Spider which I happily owned for 12 years.
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2017, 08:02:52 PM »
I'm buying the more tame Classica  :cool: rather than the rowdy Abarth  :evil:, but I know I'm going to enjoy this, a lot.  I sure hope spring comes early here in MN.

Steve.

Doesn't the "tame Classica" have the same engine as the "rowdy Abarth"??  sans the stiffer suspension?   We were looking, and thought that aside from some cosmetic bits & Bilstein suspension parts that the base model manual had the bang for the buck. 

Give us a ride report sometime in the spring.  We're really lusting for one of these.
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2017, 09:55:28 PM »
Doesn't the "tame Classica" have the same engine as the "rowdy Abarth"??  sans the stiffer suspension?   We were looking, and thought that aside from some cosmetic bits & Bilstein suspension parts that the base model manual had the bang for the buck. 

Give us a ride report sometime in the spring.  We're really lusting for one of these.

Yep, the engines are the same, 160hp in the Classica and Lusso, but 164 from the Abarth.  These are USA hp ratings, different in Europe.  I've not bothered researching why the USA Abarth has 4 more hp, maybe it's the exhaust system.  I could not tell the difference in power in a test ride situation, and it probably matters little.  You'll hear the Abarth rumble a little more, I could feel the rumble of the Abarth exhaust a little more in the car at idle, and the Abarth holds itself firm and tight in the turns, like a big go kart.  Classica, a bit quieter, smoother, and more foregiving in the suspension.  The Lusso will ride and sound like the Classica, it is the trim and tech packages that set it apart from the base Classica.  The Classica also has the cloth seats I wanted.  I thought the cloth seats fit a bit more snug in the hip and shoulder side bolstering than in the leather Abarth/Lusso seats, but I'm counting on break-in to relax the foam over time.

Both cars were great fun.  The Abarth being rowdy in the exhaust sound and the sportier suspension.  If I were a younger buck out on the prowl for... adventure, I'd go Abarth.  But I am a more, uh, matured, middle-aged, married fellow who appreciates the calm, relaxed comfort and style more than sportiness and, uh, automotive vigor(?).  Actually, my wife will want the smoother, quieter ride as well.  If I were buying just for me, the Abarth ride and sound would be fine.  I'd say if you can test drive both, try them both, or all three.

In the days I've followed the 124spider.org discussion board (dedicated to the 2017 124 Spiders), I have learned a lot about this car.  There may be other discussion sites as well, and Youtube has a ton of reviews (good ones and quite amateur), so you've got a lot of opportunities to research and learn.

I'll update my ride report here later in the springtime.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR

-George Eastman.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here