Author Topic: buying a new car, Fiat 124 Spider  (Read 3815 times)

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
buying a new car, Fiat 124 Spider
« on: March 26, 2017, 03:44:46 PM »
The 2017 Fiat 124 Spider, mentioned once here back in 2015.  Anyway, over the winter I discovered, and fell in love with this car.  In early February I put down a deposit on one that was still in the production chain.  I received a message yesterday that we now have a VIN, and that delivery should be sometime in June.  It is still across the ocean waiting to ship out.  I'm stoked and being it has some Italy in its blood, I had to share here.

Yep, built alongside the Mazda MX-5 (Miata).  A proven chassis.  Italian design/styling.  1.4L, 160'ish hp turbo thanks to Fiat/Chrysler, same engine used in several different FCA products.  6-speed manual transmission borrowed from Mazda.  The base model "Classica", 2 seats, ragtop, rear wheel drive.  Proper!  A gentleman's roadster.

It looks just like this one on the dealer's floor, but the in-stock car has an automatic transmission.  (That red Alfa Romeo 4C, sitting right behind it, is a wicked looking little thing.)

At least spring is finally arriving here and the roads are almost salt free, so I can get my motorcycles on the road in the meantime.  Gonna be a real turkey opening the garage door and wondering which to take- one of the motorcycles, or the convertible?  A real "first-world" problem.

Steve.

Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
Re: buying a new car, Fiat 124 Spider
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 03:59:20 PM »
Beautiful car Steve. Congratulations!!

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 04:02:23 PM »
 :1: :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 04:02:55 PM »
congrats and enjoy.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 04:02:55 PM »

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 04:30:10 PM »

Mr Happy Puppet would have bought a Red one. They're faster :evil:

Congrats!

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Leo

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 04:31:11 PM »
Congrats, she's beautiful, give us a review once she's in your hands. I have an alfa dealer not too far, I might go and nose around...
New York, NY
'74 Eldorado
'15 Norge GT 8V

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 04:36:44 PM »
Sweet!!!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 04:36:53 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 05:27:13 PM »
That's a really nice-looking car! I feel a little envious.....
Looking forward to hear how you like it!
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Brevaman

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 06:34:45 PM »
Happy for ya!
I inherited a 325i ragtop from my uncle about 9 years ago and it was a blast.  I didn't want to put it through New England winters though and couldn't justify a "summer car" at that point.  Great fun with the SO on a summer night, though.

I liked the styling of the 124 Spyder back in the late 60's, had no idea they were still making them.  Enjoy!
'08 Breva 750, the pretty one
'16 CB500X
'11 Suzuki DL650A sold
'09 Yamaha XT250 sold
'90 BMW K100LT sold
'80 Suzuki G850L sold
'70 R75/5 Black Beauty sold

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 07:48:36 PM »
Oh my! That looks like fun. Enjoy! :thumb:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 07:55:30 PM »
Thanks All.  I am jazzed about this, I've had a European 2-seater convertible dream in my head for over 30 years, since I was in high school.  This purchase has a special meaning to me, too.  Dad died a few years ago, Mom died earlier this winter.  Old age...  I'm spending my share of the inheritance to partially fund this purchase.  No way I'd ever be able to do this without... their help.  I can picture Mom telling each of us what to do with our share.  I know she'd smile at me, poke me in the chest, and insist I do something fun with it.  "Yes, Ma'am!"  Who am I to disobey my mother?  Nothing like the passing of your parents to remind you that you aren't getting any younger.  I'm not waiting until I'm retired to have more fun in life.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring, live for today!

Anyway, it's not that Fiat is, unbeknownst to us, still making them, rather they are... err, having them made again.  It came back as a limited edition 2016 anniversary version, 50 years after the 124 Spider introduction in 1966.  (M.Y. 2017 in the USA and other global markets, still in rather limited numbers and design styles- "Hey dealers, this is what you are getting, so deal with it."  2018 will have more options/combinations and probably more cars being made.)   I know they haven't been in the USA for a couple decades, but I don't think this style of car was made at all post mid-1980s.  Now Fiat has Mazda do the heaving lifting and building the car for them, with a majority of Mazda parts (75% Japanese on the window sticker).  Fine with me to have Japanese parts in most of the car.  That 1.4L turbo Fiat engine is supposed to be a good engine, it's been around for a few years so it is pretty sorted out.  And the aftermarket is already all over the engine, and 3rd party goodies are popping up for the car itself, too.

I've read reports that if Fiat hadn't approached Mazda to build this car for them, the MX-5 (Miata) was going to be phased out.  So, the new 124 Spider shares the same chassis at the latest version (2016) Mazda MX-5.  The Mazda is a bit shorter at each end, has modern styling on the body, and FI engine choices.  The Fiat is a bit longer and more traditional looking (i.e. Italian) at each end, has a few other body style features, uses the last generation Mazda 6-speed manual tranny (needed for the extra torque of the Fiat turbo over the newest Mazda engine's lower torque matched to their newest tranny), and I've read that even though the interiors are nearly identical, the Fiat versions use fabrics (cloth and leather) and surfaces a notch above the Mazda in quality.  The Mazda for 2016/17 also comes in their RF version, not a full ragtop, but a removable panel above the heads only, not behind.  (I can't think of the term for that style of body.)

Red- I was going to get red.  In my mind, a soft-top Italian 2-seater shall be red, and I was in the process of buying the car in red until I heard of how fragile/soft the red paint is.  Reports of swirl scratching by just looking at it wrong made me nervous.  I confirmed the issue with my own eyes.  I can't live with a car that needs to be treated like I'm an auto detailer, so I went with the dark gray instead.  I'm a driver, not a detailer.  The red is pure sex appeal, gorgeous. :drool:  The dark gray is all class. :cool:  I guess I'll be classy instead!

Oh, look at the red Spiders, old and new (click photo)...

photo fiatusa.com

Steve.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:57:41 PM by stevet »
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 08:27:02 PM »
Steve,
That is awesome.  Great car, you will love it I am sure.  My sister in law has the little Fiat 500 (no similarity other than the Fiat badge) but she really loves that car.  It is fun to have something different and unique, like a Fiat or a Guzzi.
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 09:14:21 PM »
I've been hanging out at the Fiat Spider board (124spider.org) for the past several weeks, too, learning and discussing.  A small handful of admitted Guzzi owners over there.  One I can ID (I won't point fingers), others I have no idea if they are here or not.  Small world.

Man, I can't wait until June.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR

-George Eastman.

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 08:02:35 AM »
Beautiful looking car!

My hardest choices these days (sunny and 80, not too hot yet) are bike, Boxster, or Wrangler with the top off.  Unfortunately, the Stelvio loses for convenience (gear, storage) and the Boxster can't fit the two dogs.  2001 Jeep gets most of the duty, still wind in my hair and it keeps the speeds down.

Tom
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 11:11:41 AM »
Congratulations! There's an impressive comparison in a late issue of Motor Trend magazine.
My wife's 500 is 3 years old, 80K. Terrific. The local dealer had/has roadsters in in red, white and iirc Bronzini? Bronzino?
Cripes is that wee pup gorgeous. Tan interior. If it had a tan roof I would have driven it home. I guess the monster dog would have to run beside.  Good thinking.  Good fortune.  R3~   

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 10:31:29 PM »
Update, 4-28-17.

June came early, I picked up my new car last night!  She is known as "Il Viaggiatore", Italian for "The Traveler", a.k.a. Via.  What a beauty.  A nice ride- comfortable, compliant and forgiving, yet precise.  Enough power for lots of fun but tame enough to keep one from being too stupid.  It epitomizes the old saying of it's better to drive a slow car/bike fast than drive a fast car/bike slow.  (Although I'm told it will still get near the mid-100mph range.)  And it has a very impressive heater.  Winter has been making it's last feeble stand the last few days here in east central MN.  It was a very unseasonable 34F degrees with a couple snowflakes falling when I picked her up, but I still popped the top for the ride home.  I was completely comfortable on the highway with the top down.

I won't kid you, at 6' tall and about 220 pounds, I do a good job of filling the driver's seat.  It is a small car, but if regarded as a luxurious go-kart, one will undoubtedly have nothing but a heck of a good time out on the back roads and on the big highways.

This is the base "Classica" trim Fiat 124 Spider with 6-speed manual, also available as the more loaded Lusso version, and the flashier, sport-inspired Abarth version.  I didn't want the added tech packages of the Lusso, and the firmer suspension and louder exhaust of the Abarth had no interest to me.  All three have the same 1.6L turbo engine setup (in the USA), the Abarth getting an extra sprinkle of performance tuning good for a few more HP, and a few other extras.

This car is a hoot, I really like it a whole lot, even if it is a bit of a struggle for me to get in and out of.  I don't care, it causes nothing but big smiles!  :grin:  If a small ragtop is something that interests you, I cannot recommend it enough, go take a test drive.  It's possible to spend more on a motorcycle than on this car.

Steve.

Click the image:

Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR

-George Eastman.

twowings

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 10:40:52 PM »
You're a lucky man!  :bow:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 11:35:49 PM »
 :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 12:41:42 AM »
Sweet!!! Enjoy.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Moto

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 02:24:26 AM »
Congratulations! I think you chose the right model. I'm even beginning to appreciate the gray rather than red! Hope you have the roads to go with it! Enjoy.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 04:41:09 AM »
Sure is purty! Congrats.

John Henry

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 08:55:17 AM »
Beautiful car!  I have the Fiat 500 with the same engine sans the turbo.  Actually, it's my second engine.  Only use Fully synthetic European spec oil (no blends) and change the oil about 4000 mile intervals.   The tolerances are small and natural oils, and blends or mineral based synthetics sludge up and wear out the engine quickly.  Ask me how I know...

twowings

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2017, 09:24:17 AM »
Bella macchina, signore!

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 09:26:18 AM »
Thanks everybody.

vstevens, sorry to hear about your engine woes.  Yes, sage advice on the oil, and making sure it meets that Fiat/Chrysler design spec, too.  It seems Penzoil Euro synthetic is the one most are using at this time.  There are only a few that carry that FCA spec rating, and with the "multi-air" technology of the engine I won't be gambling with other oils.  And I absolutely won't run it out to 8-10 thousand miles, either.  3-4 thousand, half way through the season, change ithe oil and filter, and service the air filter, too.  Those tiny oil passages will only flow clean oil with me.

How has engine #2 been serving you?

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR

-George Eastman.

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 12:13:56 PM »
Got a red one for my wife great little car. 
Haven't had any problems so far knock wood!!!
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 12:41:46 PM »
Thanks everybody.

vstevens, sorry to hear about your engine woes.  Yes, sage advice on the oil, and making sure it meets that Fiat/Chrysler design spec, too.  It seems Penzoil Euro synthetic is the one most are using at this time.  There are only a few that carry that FCA spec rating, and with the "multi-air" technology of the engine I won't be gambling with other oils.  And I absolutely won't run it out to 8-10 thousand miles, either.  3-4 thousand, half way through the season, change ithe oil and filter, and service the air filter, too.  Those tiny oil passages will only flow clean oil with me.

How has engine #2 been serving you?

Steve.

Engine 2 runs like a top.  An independent European brand mechanic (lot less money but better service) swapped out the engine with a low mileage unit from a newer model..  and the newer clutch.  Cost half of what the dealer wanted (out of warranty at 70k miles). 
The independent shop ships Fuchs brand oil from Germany by the barrel.  Real synthetic of the highest quality, the shop swears by it.  They service everything from Mercedes to Land Rover to fiat. 

Anyway, I like fiat  and intend to stick with them.

Penderic

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 01:38:27 PM »
Nice! Here you go.

And British Racing Green with a Tan interior are my favorite convertible sport car color combo.  :kiss:

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 01:42:49 PM by Penderic »

Offline uncle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2017, 02:22:26 PM »
I had a 1976 Fiat 124 Sport Spyder back in the day...  loved that car (when it ran) - It had high and low speed point that were at times a little finicky -  But when all tuned up man! what a great driving car... 

The new car does strike a cord with me but unfortunately I don't fit well in the Miata and I'm afraid the new 124 will be similar - funny thing is I drive a Mini Cooper now and I fit fine! 

The other car that calls to me is the new Alfa Romeo Giulia -
Ever onward...

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 02:30:02 PM »
They designed the interior for the wider spread of Americans.  :grin:

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2017, 07:02:47 AM »
The Alfa Romeo Giulia is a stunning car in the flesh.  But I'd need to win a lottery to fund one.

Italy is back in the USA, for sure.  Nice stuff.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR

-George Eastman.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here