Author Topic: repairing plastic side cover  (Read 1394 times)

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
repairing plastic side cover
« on: January 05, 2018, 11:32:27 AM »
 On my 77 Lemans the bottom tab where the grommet fits to hold it on the bike broke in half and I lost the broken part. Would epoxy work to make up the other half? Not sure if it would bond to the plastic side cover.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: repairing plastic side cover
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 12:01:14 PM »
You can buy plastic repair kits, similar to fibreglass repair, at auto parts shops. I have used before and are stronger than the original piece.  Then you have to sand and paint, but easy to do. I don't remember specific brands, but they make them for all the sport bikes to repair fairings, also.

Offline Stephen Hill

• New Egg
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 12:07:09 PM »
The same thing happened on my 1976 LeMans right hand side cover.  Here is how I fixed it.
I believe the side cover is made of ABS plastic.  I used a piece of solid ABS black plumbing pipe and cut thin disks off of it.  Straightened out, this became my welding filler material. 
I then sliced another piece of pipe, heated it with a heat gun, and made flat material out of it.  This was used to replace the missing material on the broken tab.

Now for the tricky part.  You need to learn how to plastic weld.  You can buy specialized plastic welding guns of various sizes and shapes.  I use an electric wood burning pencil, which is a whole lot like small soldering iron.
I run the pencil through an electronic variable rheostat that allows me to control the heat.  Depending on the heat of the pencil/soldering iron you have, you may not need one.

Before you repair the part, practice on pieces of scrap.  Essentially you are making a butt weld, so you need to V the material out, just as if you were welding metal.  You then melt and paddle the filler rod into the V, bridging the two pieces.  Then flip the piece over, repeat the V, and weld the back side.  Play with the practice pieces until you get a good weld.  A good weld can be filed and sanded flush on the surface.  You can add extra reinforcement on the back side.  And it should be as strong as the original material.  If you google "welding plastic soldering iron" you will find some useful examples.  Tricky at first, but dead simple once you get the knack.

Stephen Hill
1977 Moto Guzzi LeMans Mk1
1989 Honda NT650, 1999 Honda VFR
1956 BSA Gold Star, 1968 BSA Royal Star
1968 Triumph Bonneville, 1969 Triumph Daytona, 1973 Triumph Trident
1968 Norton Fastback, 1969 Norton 650SS, 1972 Norton Commando Combat, 1974 Norton Commando Interstate

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 12:07:09 PM »

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 12:19:03 PM »
 Thanks!
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 12:53:35 PM »
Have a read here, down towards the bottom of Jim's post:
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=89764.msg1481273#msg1481273
Charlie

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 01:11:45 PM »
you can also make your own plastic glue by taking some similar plastic and putting it in a glass bottle with MEK overnight. if it dissolves or at least starts to, it'll work. some experimentation is needed to get the consistency to your liking. If you can get it to dissolve it will be very strong, the key is to get a solvent that attacks the plastic. sometimes I use that with plastic welding. sometimes you can make a patch with aluminum pieces bolted to the back of the cover. in all of it some skill is needed to make it invisible or at least look good if you cant hide it.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 01:33:05 PM »
My body guy uses a two part 3M product.  I can't remember the name of it specifically but I am sure I've posted here before. if you aren't a DIY type you might take it to a professional based on research here.  Actually the labor costs weren't bad when considering the cost of the product.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 01:38:45 PM »
I was using Loctite 404 to make my own orings and it worked on sidecovers, then the guy at the bearing house told me about Loctite 495 and it works great.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Bluerobotz

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 05:43:23 PM »
you can also make your own plastic glue by taking some similar plastic and putting it in a glass bottle with MEK overnight. if it dissolves or at least starts to, it'll work. some experimentation is needed to get the consistency to your liking. If you can get it to dissolve it will be very strong, the key is to get a solvent that attacks the plastic. sometimes I use that with plastic welding. sometimes you can make a patch with aluminum pieces bolted to the back of the cover. in all of it some skill is needed to make it invisible or at least look good if you cant hide it.

I use solid copper wire to join parts, strengthen the area around grommet holes etc. Make sure it is flat, and shape it so it won't pull out - bend the ends into hook shapes. Melt it into the material from the back side - easy with the copper as it conducts heat from the iron well. Just be careful that you don't push it though the surface of the "good" side. Don't push hard on the copper as this may deform it, let the heat do the work and the copper will sink into the material. Once this is done, continue with filling with plastic & then finish with filler.
2003 B750, 1984 GPz900R A1, 1985 GPz900R A2, 1981 V50 Monza, 1973 Eldorado Civilian

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here