Author Topic: I need to lose 35 pounds body weight???  (Read 2888 times)

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: I need to lose 35 pounds body weight???
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2021, 10:31:16 AM »
I walk a couple miles every morning and that has really helped me feel better.  Recently I started carrying some 3# weights and muscle tone in my arms has improved also.  I say this to reinforce what others have said- it really doesn't take much, but it does take consistency. 
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2021, 10:53:49 AM »
Ten years ago when my A1C was 10+ I knew I had a problem.
I was still  office working and walked morning break, lunch, and afternoon break. 5 or 6 miles total.
Diet change of no sweets, lot less bread and pasta and potatoes. Late night snack usually of melon.
Bought cheap recumbent exercise bike that I would use 20 to 30 minutes at a time 3 or 4 times in the evening.
Lost a ton of weight in 6 months and reduced my A1C down to less than 4.

Don
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2021, 11:15:47 AM »
I just remembered this anecdote from years ago....enjoy!:

The Mensa Diet
Finding himself hot and overweight at an Air Force base during World War II, Jerry Salny decided he could shed pounds by drinking scotch and soda. Here’s his reasoning:

It takes 1 calorie of heat to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1° Celsius.
A glass holds about 200 cc of scotch, soda, and ice. Its temperature is 0° Celsius.
As he drinks the scotch and soda, his body must supply enough heat to raise 200 grams to body temperature, or 37°C.
That’s 200 grams × 37°C, or 7,400 calories.
“Since all the calorie books show scotch as having 100 calories per ounce, and none at all for the soda, we should be able to drink scotch and soda all day and lose weight like mad.”
“This has been tried,” Salny reported, “and although the experimenter hasn’t lost any weight in the process, he doesn’t worry about it much anymore.”

Why doesn’t it work?

Watch "Sugar the Bitter Truth"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z5X0i92OZQ
Scotch is nothing but sugar (+ethanol) = fat. The body metabolizes sugar as fat and stores it as fat. Game over.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2021, 11:17:04 AM »
     Quite a while ago, I got onto the Atkins diet, and for 20 yrs basically eliminated whites from my diet, sugars, salt, refined pasta, bread, flour etc; over time probably dropped 50 lbs, but I don't  pay attention to scales, my body will let me know.

It's labour and time intensive, but I try to eat healthy food that I prepare. I can't stand processed food and when I'm forced to eat it, the salt hangover alone is brutal; many people are dehydrated and don't realize it, I make sure I take in water all day long.

The best change in my diet was getting onto the steel cut oats for breakfast a few years back. It stays with you all day long, it's like starting off your day with a roast beef dinner.

Do what works for you, don't set yourself up for failure. I've got an addictive personality and I love chips, so every now and then I'll buy a bag, but I eat them on the way home, if I tried to keep a stock of them in the cupboard, that wouldn't work for me.

fwiw good luck
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 11:18:54 AM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2021, 11:17:04 AM »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2021, 11:18:39 AM »
Watch "Sugar the Bitter Truth"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z5X0i92OZQ
Scotch is nothing but sugar (+ethanol) = fat. The body metabolizes sugar as fat and stores it as fat. Game over.

Luckily I mostly drink Pinot Noir, Rose', and Syrah! there's nothing in there but good vibes and h2o right?
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2021, 11:29:09 AM »
I'll chime in because I have helped many people lose weight, including myself when I was weighing at 230 and needed to get to 185. I did it in 4 months. I have such a simple plan, but it does require counting calories and lots of discipline. But in the grand scheme of it, it is very easy to do.

Men, find your ideal weight and multiply by 15. That's how many calories you should take in to maintain that weight. For me, 185# =2770 calories per day to maintain. If you limit that to 2,000 you'd lose a pound a week without even having to exercise. 1 pound of fat is 3500 calories. If you exercise moderately for 30 minutes per day keeping your heart rate between 50 and 70%, you'd burn an additional 300 calories per day which would equal roughly 2 pounds per week total. NO CHEAT DAYS.

Women, multiply by 10. Same scenario above.

I helped my cousin lose 100# in 6 months and has kept it off. She's now off all her meds.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2021, 11:31:55 AM »
I went from 220 to 130 in just over a year. I've maintained an average of 135 for 9 years. For reference, I'm almost 55, female, and 5'5". Most ladies have less muscle mass than the average guy so our drop takes more time. Estrogen makes us store fat for babies and works against slimming down to a certain extent.

Go online to about 10 different "trusted" health sites and find out what someone of your height, age, and activity level should weigh (be honest) and how many calories it takes to maintain said weight. Average out the numbers. Download a food tracking log, optional, but extremely helpful. I use LoseIt to set and track my intake based on the above average. We all think we know what we should be eating but putting a number value on each item really sends it home. It reinforces good habits when you can see the benefits.

When you get to your goal weight decide if you want to lose more.
If yes, are you still dropping weight with your current intake? Then you're good to continue or make adjustments as needed. To lose very slowly, I can't eat more than 1000.
If no, adjust calories up by 50 a week until you maintain. I can eat an average of 1200 calories a day.

Full disclosure: I stopped tracking my intake, my husband retired and started cooking every meal (for him, food = love), then - hit and I quit my job. The combo brought my weight back up to 150 . I'm working at bringing it down again.

Mine is kind of a variation of this, minus the exercise. I started hiking when I got to 150 and my body could haul my ass up the hill easier. I did around 25 miles a week for a few years. Life got in the way, but I still hike on occasion.

I'll chime in because I have helped many people lose weight, including myself when I was weighing at 230 and needed to get to 185. I did it in 4 months. I have such a simple plan, but it does require counting calories and lots of discipline. But in the grand scheme of it, it is very easy to do.

Men, find your ideal weight and multiply by 15. That's how many calories you should take in to maintain that weight. For me, 185# =2770 calories per day to maintain. If you limit that to 2,000 you'd lose a pound a week without even having to exercise. 1 pound of fat is 3500 calories. If you exercise moderately for 30 minutes per day keeping your heart rate between 50 and 70%, you'd burn an additional 300 calories per day which would equal roughly 2 pounds per week total. NO CHEAT DAYS.

Women, multiply by 10. Same scenario above.

I helped my cousin lose 100# in 6 months and has kept it off. She's now off all her meds.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 11:39:34 AM by Guzzi Gal »
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2021, 02:35:37 PM »
My wife is doing Noom. It is working very well for her. It is a program that tracks calories and tracks weight gains or losses. She has to report what she eats at every meal. I don't know too much more about the program.  https://www.forbes.com/health/body/noom-diet-review/
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2021, 04:32:43 PM »
1200 calories a day for 90 days; not fun but only thing ever worked for me!!

Basically, go to bed HUNGRY every night!!!

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2021, 05:01:07 PM »
In my late 50's I took off 80 lb by going to a keto diet. Cut out almost all carbs. Concentrated on fresh roasted veggies, meats and healthy fats. Stayed on my feet all day and walked the dog 5x a day. Went from 345 to 165 lb in 4 years. Did wonders for my general health and improved my diabetes. Still holding at that weight. I'm not in great shape. But I can move around as I did in my 40's. So its an improvement.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2021, 06:45:08 PM »
steel cut oats for breakfast
  :whip2: :smiley:
Uh oh..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2021, 07:14:14 PM »
A lot of good advice.   :thumb:  First, do you have a scale to weigh yourself?  It would be a good start.  You have to know you baseline.  Weighing yourself at the beginning of the day and end will have you mentally reinforce what you're doing.  The end result is weight loss.

Was your DR.  a General Practitioner?  He might be plugging you into a chart for height & weight.  Most will use the chart to put a person in without personal information.  Does you DR really have any nutrition background?  Is the weight loss a way to treat diabetes, blood sugar, A1C or blood pressure?

On a whole, most have mentioned watching what you're eating.  I agree but I would add first look at how you eat.  Do eat till you have to fill full?  aka to the "food coma" stage.  Here's a tip to retrain your brain.  Have a mug of hot liquid before eating or while eating.  Hot broth/clear soup with lunch or dinner.  Hot tea or coffee with breakfast.  This will cut down on the food needed to fill you up.

While eating if you pause for whatever reason.  End your meal at that point.  This will also help you with limiting portions.  In between meals if you get to the point that you feel hungry.  Drink water.  You can also chew gum.  Bubble gum would be better.  The mastication process will fake your brain out by having it think that you chewing and eating.  Drink more water or have some while chewing gum.

The biggest part is to get use to is the hungry feeling.  This would be similar to forgetting about the hungry feeling because your brain is occupied with some work activity. 

Substitution of foods also work.  Instead of pastries, cake, cookies & pies try fruit instead.  Not only are they higher in sugars/HFC they're also richer in dairy & fats.  Of course is there is a birthday party or special even like Thanksgiving.  I'd expect someone to eat pumpkin pie ala mode but look at portion size.

Retraining you brain is the main thing.  Smaller portions and weighing yourself.  Good luck!

Footnote:  I wrestled in high school and college.  I also coached high school wrestling, 13 years.  Weight loss and maintaining it is part of the process of the sport of wrestling.  I also studied sports nutrition when I was a nursing student.

From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2021, 08:57:04 PM »
I think I'd hit the gym, work on cardio and strength, eat smart but not starve myself and see where it comes out.

Once your weight hits a weight, that's where your body wants to be.  Work out, you'll lose 10-30 LB and feel better.  Why worry after that?  Why do Keto or some starvation diet just to do it over again two months later and yo-yo?

Workout, be comfortable.  Anyway, my experience.   :thumb:

One last thing, if you have some aches and pains that you might be concerned about, see a good Physical Therapist and work those exercises into your work out. 

I don't think it's absolute weight, it's how you carry your weight.  Sorta like your powerband.   :cheesy:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2021, 10:15:38 PM »
Retraining you brain is the main thing.  Smaller portions and weighing yourself.  Good luck!

The brain can be a sloooow learner. It took about 5 years before my eyes accepted the smaller portions my stomach was okay with.
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline ridingron

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2021, 11:15:40 PM »
Try a months worth of B12 vitamins for the tiredness. You'll also feel less tired after a few weeks of walking.

I started walking when the virus hit. I started at 1/2 mile 2 times a day for a couple weeks. Start with a distance you can do. I walked in the morning and evening. I increased the distance after a couple weeks. Some days I didn't think I could make the distance but I did. As the weather warmed ( I live in Florida), it was uncomfortable to walk in the day time so I walked farther in the evening. I allowed myself 2 drinks a day(sweet tea or soda). Other than that, water. At work, I had a coke and candy bar twice a day. That was stopped. At lunch, I ate until I was full. I started watching what I put in my lunch box. More fruit, raw veggies and nuts and lots less bread (sandwiches). I started eating a salad with some healthy toppings, no dressing, at least once a week. When it was gone, I was done eating. I got up and left the break room. Too many temptations in the vending machines. :laugh:  After about 6 months, I had lost about 25 pounds but more importantly, my blood work came back considerably better.

Drink lots of water.

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2021, 12:00:39 AM »
Lot's of great recommendations and I'm attempting most of them. Unfortunately, I have all the self control of a rat terrier.

First thing I would do is a 2 day fast. Nothing but water for 48 hours. This will purge your intestinal tract and will re-set your insulin levels. My chiropractor/NMD turned me on to that. You will lose 2-5 pounds right off the bat. You will expel yellow bile. Any inflammation will be reduced. First thing to eat would be a piece of fruit or some broth. No yogurt of salad with vinegar after a fast.

Last year I did a juice program with the wife. These were not enjoyable juices. I named one in particular "swamp things dick". I went from 298 to 255 in 4 months. It sucked.  I gained 25 lbs back after the holidays.

This winter after physical therapy I went back to the gym (Planet Fatness) Now I'm down to 275 and my legs are stronger than they were when I played football (high school community college) The upper body needs more work, but is coming along.

1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

bobrebos

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2021, 04:52:24 AM »
Thanks for all the good information.  I’m really hitting portion size and pushing myself to get 8000-10000 steps a day.  (Starting out at 5000).  I weigh myself each morning and will also weigh myself in evening for two times a day.  I am trying to average 1 pound weight loss per week which will mean about 35 weeks for my goal.  Thanks to you all for your ideas. 

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2021, 08:15:27 AM »
Almost everything suggested here will make you lose weight. But most all the suggestions are unsustainable and you will end up yo-yoing in a cycle of losing and gaining it all back.
Small portions and being in a state of hunger will not work long term for the vast majority of people.
What works for me is understanding calorie density and choosing my foods with that in mind. I eat more food than most people I know. I eat large meals and many times right up till I go to bed. I am always fully satiated. I am not good with will power when it comes to being hungry.
I have been doing this for 15 years. I am 5' 11" and I was originally about 185 and I got down to 150 in about 9 months and have stayed between 145 and 150 for the last 15 years. My cholesterol dropped from 208 down to 149 and is always the same when checked. My blood pressure was 138/80 I think and is now always about 110/70 and my blood sugar dropped from 99 down to the low 80s. I am on no meds. I don't think I know anyone my age that is not on some meds.
Google calorie density chart and learn the density of most of the common foods.
I don't eat fast food. I will not buy a food that has added oil as it is the most calorie dense food there is at 4000 calories per pound. I don't buy foods that have a lot of added sugar. I don't drink my calories. Liquid calories don't fill you up and satiate you.
I eat a high fiber diet.
I am not going to bed hungry and I eat till full whenever I want.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 11:38:49 AM by antmanbee »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2021, 09:02:02 AM »
I go to the gym three times a week.  I jog up the stairs and start with 30 minutes elliptical for cardio (heart beat gets mid 140s), next it's various PT exercises and stretches, and last I do eight cable weight and stretch machines for shoulders, upper body, core and legs.  I used to do a rowing machine but I found it was hurting my achilles and did double upper body (alternating arms) on 4 weight machines.  I replaced that with the PT and leg stretch machine.  I don't work quite as hard but afterwards I feel more active and have fewer aches and pains.

I might not much lighter but I'm in better shape and feel better. 

I'm also a believer to get physical therapy when feeling age related aches and pains.  You might find that some exercises are counter productive without advice of a PT.   I also found I'd broken my hip at some time in the past upon examination.   
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2021, 07:37:39 PM »
I opted to use a smaller spoon when attacking the peanut butter jar.  :food: Hasn't done much for my weight, but my spoon arm has become ripped.
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan America

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2021, 07:40:38 PM »
Thanks for all the good information.  I’m really hitting portion size and pushing myself to get 8000-10000 steps a day.  (Starting out at 5000).  I weigh myself each morning and will also weigh myself in evening for two times a day.  I am trying to average 1 pound weight loss per week which will mean about 35 weeks for my goal.  Thanks to you all for your ideas.

Don't weigh yourself more than once per week or you will get discouraged. I suggest We'd or Friday mornings.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2021, 01:15:38 AM »
Don't weigh yourself more than once per week or you will get discouraged. I suggest We'd or Friday mornings.

-AJ

I find just the opposite. I weigh myself many times a day. It keeps me fully aware of the need to be vigilant.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2021, 01:53:42 AM »
Try Michael Mosley's 5 and 2 diet.

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2021, 05:19:22 AM »
  :whip2: :smiley:
Uh oh..

A line has been crossed, this could become an oil thread at any moment......
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2021, 05:37:51 AM »
This truly is a great thread!  With lots of good advice!

Unfortunately, I have all the self control of a rat terrier.

I named one in particular "swamp things dick".

I went back to the gym (Planet Fatness)

Some of the best stuff I've read on the internet in a while.

Thanks!   :thumb:
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

bobrebos

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2021, 05:38:32 AM »
A line has been crossed, this could become an oil thread at any moment......

Oil?  Did someone say oil?  Motul baby!!!!

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2021, 06:15:01 AM »
Oil?  Did someone say oil?  Motul baby!!!!

As a replacement for vegetable oil?

That's got to be a highly guarded weight loss secret!

Probably cures constipation also....

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2021, 06:28:09 AM »
As a replacement for vegetable oil?

That's got to be a highly guarded weight loss secret!

Probably cures constipation also....

There was once a thread on here where a 'fella choked down a couple of shots or turpentine or paint thinner or some such? He pooped out a bunch of worms. IIRC he wanted the rest of us to try it out.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2021, 08:17:04 AM »
What worked for me was to have a near head-on crash with a Land Rover SUV and break my femur (other driver's fault, of course).  I lost 35 lb before I was able to gain any back, which took over a year.  I'm not suggesting this as a way for you to lose 35 lb, but it worked for me.  And the liability insurance payoff nearly compensated for the pain and suffering. :azn:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 08:20:15 AM by sib »
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2021, 10:03:13 AM »
Regarding the smaller portions, try looking up Volumetric's. It's basically eating highly nutritious foods with a lower calorie content. This way you can eat a ton while still consuming less calories. This will give you an overview https://health.usnews.com/best-diet/volumetrics-diet .  If you like vegetables, it may be the ticket.
"Miri" and Mori"

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here