Author Topic: Shes on the road!!!!!  (Read 1969 times)

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
Shes on the road!!!!!
« on: May 13, 2019, 01:39:41 PM »
Just got my 02 stone on the road!!!!  Ive been off 2 wheels for a little over 10 years, and picked up this stone metal in Dec...  Well, I just got around to getting it on the road, and went out for its first shake down run!!  Whoooo hooo  it was good to get back on the road. A little rusty so just did a 1/2 hour loop around the back roads. MAN this bike is one long legged girl!!  Really dont even need 4th till about 50-55mph!  Felt good... both myself and the bike really loosened up after a while and got some of the cobwebs knocked out!!!! Its not been ridden much in the last few years..  So first 30 mile ride report?  I think Ill be keeping this one for a long while!!! 
Paul B

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Shes on the road!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 05:40:10 PM »
Long legged, indeed!
That's a really sweet motor, huh?
I seem to recall that 4th starts at about 60 mph, but might be wrong.
Great to hear that you enjoy being back in the saddle!
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

twowings

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 09:44:14 PM »
Excellent! Keep those knees in the breeze... :thumb:

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 06:25:04 AM »
I really like it.. A few things I am learning still though..  I like the lower flatter bars of the Stone over the EV's...  But you know.. it could still be a little lower, and not as pulled back. Gotta add finding a set of the big dia bars that are not to pricey....   Footpegs also could be a little farther back...  but that would need a few extra inches of saddle height..  [im 6'3" tall..] Thinking that taler saddle might help the bars a bit... so that will be my first mod. She does shake a bit...  but that might be just from sitting so much, and I need to do a bolt check now that I ran her a bit..  Between me learning the ins and outs of her more, and putting some more miles will surely help. All in all I like it!
Paul B

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 06:25:04 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 06:33:15 AM »
 The Jackal/Stone series are simple easy to maintain reliable motorbikes . The handlebars are indeed much more comfortable than what came on the EV's , and yes , raising the seat will make it more comfortable .

If it is shaking very much , try synchronizing the injectors , or maybe letting it rev more . I have noticed a large difference in vibration felt thru the pegs depending on the type of boots I am wearing , softer soles help a lot .

Dusty

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 07:03:32 AM »
The Jackal/Stone series are simple easy to maintain reliable motorbikes . The handlebars are indeed much more comfortable than what came on the EV's , and yes , raising the seat will make it more comfortable .

If it is shaking very much , try synchronizing the injectors , or maybe letting it rev more . I have noticed a large difference in vibration felt thru the pegs depending on the type of boots I am wearing , softer soles help a lot .

Dusty

Yes I have found she likes some revs!  I think a lot of it is me lugging it a bit. Ill learn...   I do plan to do the throttle body sync..  I wanted to get some miles on her, and feel how it runs first. Might need a remap also because of more open exhaust, and open airbox. Worst case it will get done in the winter time..  i want to pull the tank then anyways to get the clearcoat fixed on it.
Paul B

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 01:42:33 PM »
I like the lower flatter bars of the Stone over the EV's...  But you know.. it could still be a little lower, and not as pulled back. Gotta add finding a set of the big dia bars that are not to pricey....

I found a set of 1 1/8" to 7/8" black anodized aluminum bars on the net for maybe $20 shipped.  I wish I could reference the order here with all of the dimensions, etc.  They are low and wide with not much pullback, much like a superbike bar.  I'm 6'1" and running the stock, full one-piece seat.  Click the pic for a better view of the profile of the bars.

Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 03:02:30 PM »
I found a set of 1 1/8" to 7/8" black anodized aluminum bars on the net for maybe $20 shipped.  I wish I could reference the order here with all of the dimensions, etc.  They are low and wide with not much pullback, much like a superbike bar.  I'm 6'1" and running the stock, full one-piece seat.  Click the pic for a better view of the profile of the bars.

Nice. I like that. So is 1 1/8 the same size as stock? I love the old superbike bend, and have run them on a few bikes over the years. I guess most of my riding miles have been holding onto one of them...  Ill have to look into them.
Paul B

Offline T4halo

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 03:30:14 PM »
Brother Jim, lets see a few more pics of the bike. Looks great from the front.

T4
7th & 10th SF retired

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 04:35:53 PM »
Brother Jim, lets see a few more pics of the bike. Looks great from the front.

T4

Ya looks nice.    Wonder if those bars come in chrome..
Paul B

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 10:04:23 AM »
Well, ok.

I thought I had more pics, but these are pretty much all I have that are any good.  Started with this.  Gotta love the sidewalk tootsie roll seat!  I would have rocked it, but it had some damage that I considered unsightly.

Before the blacked-out progressive shocks and Givi Monokey (Special thanks to RichA!) side case racks.

Yes, s1120, bars are 1 1/8" at the clamp and down to 7/8" for the controls.  No doubt you could get those bars in chrome, but they could be a little more in price.
Short Time Livin'...

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 10:22:29 AM »
Cool Ill keep a eye out. it will be a winter project anyways.

Got her out for another run today. Got it out for about a hour. Went a little farther this time, and hit a little highway speed. Shes smoothing out a lot. Dont think the past owner rode it much...  only a few hundred miles in the last year or so, so its gotta get the gunk out! Had a rattle/buzz off and on last run..  did a bolt check, and found one of the headpipes loose at the head abit..  tightened up, and it was fine this time. One of these days I need to do the oil change. It looks like new, but who knows whats in there for oil, and if the filters been done. All in all, starting to get more comfortable on it.  Getting my grove back. Running great, and enjoying the time on the road!!!! 
Paul B

Offline T4halo

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 12:07:18 PM »
Well, ok.

I thought I had more pics, but these are pretty much all I have that are any good.  Started with this.  Gotta love the sidewalk tootsie roll seat!  I would have rocked it, but it had some damage that I considered unsightly.

Before the blacked-out progressive shocks and Givi Monokey (Special thanks to RichA!) side case racks.

Yes, s1120, bars are 1 1/8" at the clamp and down to 7/8" for the controls.  No doubt you could get those bars in chrome, but they could be a little more in price.

I like the OD green. Looks nice.

T4
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:10:21 PM by T4halo »
7th & 10th SF retired

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 07:52:02 AM »
Thanks, T4halo.  Aside from what I considered to be an odd factory color scheme, the paint was in terrible shape from the bike being apparently left outside.  Had some rattle-can OD green laying around from another project, and thought that a matte clear coat would be a good choice for my first attempt at a paint job.  It ain't perfect, but I'm pleased with the outcome.  This is my first Guzzi, and I've really enjoyed making it what it is and, of course, riding it!
Short Time Livin'...

bobrebos

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 03:35:43 PM »
I had a 2002 Stone in the orange color and loved it, until a cager ran over me from behind.  That was the end of that bike. (And almost me)!  Enjoy the bike, I know I did mine.   :bike-037:

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 05:39:27 PM »
I had a 2002 Stone in the orange color and loved it, until a cager ran over me from behind.  That was the end of that bike. (And almost me)!  Enjoy the bike, I know I did mine.   :bike-037:

Thanks!  Ive put about 100 miles on her so far this week inbetween raindrops. gets better every mile!  I draining the oil now. I waited till it was on the road so it could get nice and warm. Looked pretty cruddy after it ran a bit so good thing! 
Paul B

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 04:31:56 AM »
If it spent a lot of time outside the tank might be fairly rusty so check that out. The filler cap is recessed so it has a drain at the rear goes down through the tank in a pigtail to come out the bottom.
Also watch for what sounds like an extra noisy fuel pump, that's a sign the filter is plugged with rust.
It's very easy to remedy these things.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 06:01:29 AM »
If it spent a lot of time outside the tank might be fairly rusty so check that out. The filler cap is recessed so it has a drain at the rear goes down through the tank in a pigtail to come out the bottom.
Also watch for what sounds like an extra noisy fuel pump, that's a sign the filter is plugged with rust.
It's very easy to remedy these things.

Ya I checked all that over the winter time. Tank was spotless thankfully. I even pulled the petcock to check for goop, and all was good.

Pulling the oil sump, and didnt the last bolt get rounded out!!  After fighting with different tools, and means, I got it !   off to find a few replacement sump bolts today.They were REAL tight. Im thinking a small touch of anti seize might be a good idea on them right?
Paul B

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here