Author Topic: ‘79 Spada Refresh  (Read 4658 times)

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Re: ‘79 Spada Refresh
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2022, 08:43:09 PM »
Maybe the Duc just wants you to spend more on her before she gets reliable.  Definitely a bike worth putting up with. I ordered new springs and keepers just to be safe. 
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2022, 09:31:53 PM »
Crank, gearbox and rear drive oils installed.  No leaks.  Brake fluid installed and systems bled.  Both levers feel good. Rear tail light wires replaced as they had been modified for accessories.  Tank and front fender compounded.

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2022, 06:34:42 AM »
Could you swing by my garage? I’ve got a sp1000 just waiting for all this…it’s already disassembled. I’ll give you a beer…two beers?

I’d be smarter to buy yours…your killing me

Want another one to put together?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 06:37:06 AM by chuck peterson »
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2022, 08:54:14 AM »
Could you swing by my garage? I’ve got a sp1000 just waiting for all this…it’s already disassembled. I’ll give you a beer…two beers?

I’d be smarter to buy yours…your killing me

Want another one to put together?

I would Chuck. I’d probably even pay you for the opportunity to drive to New Haven every evening to work on your SP.  Of course I would pay for parts.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2022, 08:54:14 AM »

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2022, 08:59:26 AM »
Cylinders pulled, and bores, pistons and rings checked out fine. Cylinders back on with new base gaskets and o-rings. New points and base plate installed.  I had previously modified the base plate to get some more adjustment range.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2022, 08:47:31 AM »
"I had previously modified the base plate to get some more adjustment range."

I've never understood how they got those bikes to run right from the factory. Personally I've given up on Guzzi points, hope I never had to deal with them again.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2022, 10:49:42 AM »
"I had previously modified the base plate to get some more adjustment range."

I've never understood how they got those bikes to run right from the factory. Personally I've given up on Guzzi points, hope I never had to deal with them again.

I've found it necessary to modify the points plates on approx. 50% of the Tonti Guzzis I've worked on. Why some need it and some don't is a mystery to me. And no, I don't "fudge" the point gap to make it work either.

FWIW, 20k miles since I set the points and timing on my Convert, still in gap and timed correctly.
Charlie

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2022, 10:19:55 PM »
I gave up and installed a Dyna III in the G5.  Points are definitely my Waterloo.  I’m reticent to install EI here since I may well sell the bike and it’s just money I won’t get back.  The right side is set fine but the left not only opens about four degrees past TDC with no more adjustment room, it also is showing continuity when the points are open.  Something is grounding them. I need a few hours of quiet time to chase it down.

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2022, 10:11:16 AM »
I've found it necessary to modify the points plates on approx. 50% of the Tonti Guzzis I've worked on. Why some need it and some don't is a mystery to me. And no, I don't "fudge" the point gap to make it work either.

FWIW, 20k miles since I set the points and timing on my Convert, still in gap and timed correctly.

Would things be different if the distributor was installed one tooth differently? Putting the second point into a easily adjustable position?

It is a bit fiddly when your dropping it into the case. Could a one tooth move solve the 50% antietam is fixing? Enquiring minds ..?
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2022, 08:36:05 PM »
I wonder Chuck. Not hard to try. The heads are off getting done so TDC is easy to check and the distributor is easy to get to. I’ll report back whether that is a solution. I’m not good at thinking those things through theoretically.

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2022, 09:35:46 PM »
Still waiting on the heads at the machinist. I can’t wait to button up the bike.  I traded footpeg brackets with SPMoto in Maine so she will be sporting NT low pipes and fixed foot pegs. I’m always so excited to install headers and mufflers, then wrestle with them forever.  Second only to gearbox rear covers for fiddlyness.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2022, 06:14:13 PM »
Still waiting on the heads at the machinist. I can’t wait to button up the bike.  I traded footpeg brackets with SPMoto in Maine so she will be sporting NT low pipes and fixed foot pegs. I’m always so excited to install headers and mufflers, then wrestle with them forever.  Second only to gearbox rear covers for fiddlyness.

I hope your exhaust goes together fine, I can sure relate to fighting with exhaust; 

I learnt the hard way that miss matching stainless headers with chrome cross over and mufflers on an Eldorado was a nightmare, the stainless headers sent the cross over to far rearward and hit the rear tire, took me a long time to figure out that I needed a matching stainless cross over from the same supplier to have any chance of getting the exhaust to fit. :thewife:
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2022, 09:42:34 PM »
I hope your exhaust goes together fine, I can sure relate to fighting with exhaust; 

I learnt the hard way that miss matching stainless headers with chrome cross over and mufflers on an Eldorado was a nightmare, the stainless headers sent the cross over to far rearward and hit the rear tire, took me a long time to figure out that I needed a matching stainless cross over from the same supplier to have any chance of getting the exhaust to fit. :thewife:

Truer words Canuck. The Mistral stainless headers and cross-over on my G5 never line up right.  The LaFranconi mufflers are located and line up with the mounts right, but there is a gap on one side.  Ugh.

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2022, 12:33:18 PM »
I just picked up the heads from my favorite machinist Hans Westberg. New valves and guides and all set.

Offline gph70

• New Egg
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2022, 08:59:14 PM »
When you say you took a peek at the bottom end, how much of a peek? bearing caps? ....

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2022, 08:32:16 PM »
When you say you took a peek at the bottom end, how much of a peek? bearing caps? ....

I pulled the sump pan and literally peeked at the rod ends and crank. They looked shiny and clean.

Offline maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2022, 10:21:26 AM »
Any recent progess Ben?
Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2022, 06:05:25 PM »
Any recent progess Ben?

Hey Tom. I was just thinking of you.  I got the ignition timed, carbs installed, new fuel lines in and tank on yesterday. I cranked it over and got spark, but still need to put in fuel and see what happens. Your extra pipes are dry fitted, as I traded footpeg mounts with Steve in Maine. Here it is today:

Offline maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2022, 06:29:20 PM »
Thanks for the update Ben. It looks great, can't wait to hear your impressions after you take it for a spin.  :grin:

Tom
Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2022, 05:50:01 PM »
Last post for this thread.  I buttoned it up and fired it up and rode about 10 miles.  Still need to adjust the carbs and retorque heads. Then on the market.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here