Author Topic: v7 sport "fence post" rebuild  (Read 52403 times)

Offline siabeid

• Hatchling
Re: v7 sport "fence post" rebuild
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2018, 05:02:47 PM »
Last weekend I got the wiring sorted and all of the cables installed and adjusted. The new ignition switch had the wiring colors different than the original, so that took a little figuring out. I got the battery hooked up and everything worked! The turn signals flashed, the horns beeped, the light dimmer dimmed. The new ignition switch has the cool car style way of engaging the starter. I cranked the engine over 4 spins and the oil pressure light went out - a very good sign. I put it in gear and the neutral light went out - another good sign. I had an old set of Napolean bar end mirrors sitting around, so I gave them a fresh coat of satin black and got them installed. I also had a used Dart flyscreen laying around, so modified and installed that, too. I test fitted the new tank and it looked like a motorcycle. I got a nice looking set of used Lafranconi mufflers off ebay, and they are on their way here. I had ordered some sharkgills, but they were back ordered, so the used  Lafranconis saved me a couple hundred bucks and are still period correct. I hope they aren't too loud. This Saturday, I am taking the tank and tool boxes to Sandpoint to be painted green. Larry finally got me scheduled in. All that I have left to do to start it is get the mufflers on and check the timing. I even got 2 gallons of ethanol free premium gas the other day. It is getting close...

Does anyone know the official paint code for the metallic green color? I have not been able to find it  anywhere. My wife thinks that the color used on Kia Souls called Alien2 is really close. If I can't find the factory official color, we will probably use that. It seems like the v11 sport green is a little more yellow than the 1970's green,  though I really like it.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2018, 08:39:53 PM »
 :thumb:  I just got some oem handle bars for my '73 maroon.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2018, 10:22:24 PM »
That is coming along very nicely.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2018, 05:25:15 PM »
     Last weekend I took the tool boxes and tank over to Sandpoint to the painter. Monday the mufflers came and I put them on. Yesterday I checked the valves and timing. This morning I hooked up the temporary tank. I cranked it over until the oil pressure light went out then opened up the tank petcock. I had to tighten up a couple of hose clamps and it was time. It cranked over 3 times and fired right up. I let it run for about 5 or 10 minutes until it got warm. Synched the carbs and it ran really nice! The only glitches so far are a slight oil leak at the right head. I think it is the valve cover. The other is the charge light stays on. Max charge is 13.6 volts, so it is charging somewhat. I think it should be a little over 14 or so.  So that is the next thing to check out.
     It sure is a great feeling when you first fire up something that was so neglected and it comes back to life!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2018, 05:25:15 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2018, 06:16:55 PM »
 :thumb:  Way to go!  Start doing a virtual ride in your mind.  Left foot brake and right foot shift with one up/four down.  Start training your mind.  It'll be real fun till you get the muscle memory.  :evil:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2018, 06:39:33 PM »
That's a great result and I know it's got to feel good, endorphins flowing like crazy listening to it beating along ....

The saga continues ... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2018, 09:14:23 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2018, 03:15:12 AM »
HOW COOL!!!!

I'm thinking something's not right with the diode board. But who knows? It's a simple system, but troubleshooting it can be crazy.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:18:55 AM by wirespokes »

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2018, 01:55:15 PM »
You might want to try on of these adjustable voltage regulators to get your charging voltage up to snuff... I fitted one and it works very well.  The adjustment feature is quite useful.

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_161&products_id=1110
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2018, 05:21:16 PM »
     This weekend, I retorqued the heads and readjusted the valves. No more oil leak. The charging system was more interesting. I started at the rotor and stator. Everything checked out, but I found a few more connections to clean up. Got up to the rectifier and voltage regulator. It turned out that I had wired the charge light into the lighting circuit instead of the rectifier. Got that switched around, started it up and the light went out. It is charging 13.8 volts with the lights on. According to Dave Richardson in Guzziology, that is about all you get with the early 14 amp charging system that the v7 sport and 850t came with, so for now I'm calling that good.  All that is left is getting the tank and tool boxes back from the painter and it will be road test time.
     Thanks to Dave Richardson and Greg Bender for all of the info they have provided to us all over the years. It would have been a lot tougher doing this rebuild without all of their writings.  And thanks to all of the rest of you for your tips and encouragement. When I get the tank and tool boxes on, I'll post some pics of the finished project.

Si Abeid
Kettle Falls, WA

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2018, 07:11:39 PM »

Thanks to Dave Richardson and Greg Bender for all of the info they have provided to us all over the years......

Si Abeid
Kettle Falls, WA

Hard to believe it's been "years", but it just about has been!!   That's some stick-to-itiveness right there ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2018, 11:37:42 PM »
Congrats for fixing the charging. Can't wait to see the photos. Looking forward to seeing it this summer.   :bike-037:
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline mcdammitt

• New Egg
  • Do like the Hindu, the best you kin do
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2018, 08:00:32 PM »
That plate is the bees knees, maybe you can plate it with the post in mind. Great Job
'03 EV w/Champion sidecar
'73 Eldo
'69 Triumph Bonney
'47 Nimbus
'72 Norton Commando
'81 Laverda 1200

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2018, 06:09:20 AM »
Fix it, repair it, make it work.  :thumb: Attaboy X3.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2018, 04:05:04 PM »
I finally got my parts back from the painter on Sunday. He sure did a beautiful job. The pearl in the green paint looks great in the sun. It was definitely worth the wait! I got them installed Sunday evening and was able to go for about a one mile ride Tuesday evening. I know that I have a lot of tweaking to do, but so far I am pretty happy with it. It starts instantly, but is a bit cold blooded. The clutch and brakes seem to work well. The shift pattern is 1 up and 4 down. I only got it up to second gear on my gravel road, but those two worked well. I had to tighten up a couple of bolts, and a carb float bowl. My neighbor who is a professional photographer is coming over tonight or tomorrow to take some "glamour" shots. I want to do that before I venture out down to the highway and really test it out. Once I go 3.5 miles down the county road to the highway, it will never be as clean again!

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2018, 04:10:17 PM »
Congrats.   :thumb:  Brake left side and shift right side....correct???  Have fun retraining your brain.  To get a good feel for the engine and drivetrain.  Ignore tach and shift at higher rev's around 5K.

canuck750

« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »
Looks fantastic, great work saving that old classic!

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2018, 08:32:44 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb:
Charlie

Online Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2018, 09:58:45 PM »
I finally got my parts back from the painter on Sunday. He sure did a beautiful job. The pearl in the green paint looks great in the sun. It was definitely worth the wait! I got them installed Sunday evening and was able to go for about a one mile ride Tuesday evening. I know that I have a lot of tweaking to do, but so far I am pretty happy with it. It starts instantly, but is a bit cold blooded. The clutch and brakes seem to work well. The shift pattern is 1 up and 4 down. I only got it up to second gear on my gravel road, but those two worked well. I had to tighten up a couple of bolts, and a carb float bowl. My neighbor who is a professional photographer is coming over tonight or tomorrow to take some "glamour" shots. I want to do that before I venture out down to the highway and really test it out. Once I go 3.5 miles down the county road to the highway, it will never be as clean again!

I'll have to get those pro pictures on my tablet and show .....Dan (I think his name was) what has become of his old decoration.
I would have never imagined it could look so good. Great job!  :bow: :bow: :bow:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2018, 08:17:17 AM »

Wow..... just wow.    Great job saving it from the slow painful death that it was suffering.   :thumb:

It looks great.    I'd be proud to have that in my garage!
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2018, 11:22:01 AM »
Beautiful work!  Congratulations.
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2018, 05:27:08 PM »
I ran into my first major glitch. After returning from my first test run of about a mile, it looked a little strange how it sat, and was harder to put on the center stand.  The front end was compressed, and it would not return to normal at rest position. I have rebuilt the front end on my t3 and lm3 and this one is the same. It even uses the same components. I pulled it apart today and it was very difficult to get the front axle out. When everything was out of the way, the right fork sprung back to where it belonged, but the left one stayed  compressed a couple of inches. I pulled them off of the bike and put both assemblies on the bench for comparison purposes. I completely disassembled the left one. The fork tube will slide about 2/3 of the way into the lower fork leg, but then becomes stuck. These are new fork tubes in the original lower fork legs. I checked the tube for straightness and it was straight. I also mic'ed it and it was the same all the way around and for the entire length. This bike definitely had a rough life before being abandoned. I know it went down on the right side. It is the left side that is sticking. I could not tell for sure  if the lower fork leg is bent, but it looks ok. I don't even know how that could be bent. I was hoping that some of you more knowledgeable rebuilders might have some ideas, and also how to correct it. I think finding a lower fork leg for a drum brake v7 sport might not be very easy. Any ideas?

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2018, 08:40:36 PM »
Something has to be misaligned preventing the movement of the tube.  Sorry, I don't have any input for correction of the problem.

Offline philmac

• New Egg
« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2018, 04:25:56 AM »
Have you checked the diameter of the stanchions against the spec (max 34.690mm for a T3)? I brought 2 new stanchions from Stein Dinse and had to return one because it was oversize.

Offline siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2018, 07:12:36 AM »
Good thought. I will do that this evening.

Offline siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2018, 10:29:44 PM »
I think I found the problem. I pulled the old tube out of the scrap iron pile. It slid right in. It measures 34.65mm. The new tubes measure 34.70 mm. I think that I will carefully use a brake cylinder hone on the lower legs to enlarge them slightly. The reason it goes partially in is probably due to the top part being slightly worn.

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2018, 10:43:58 PM »
You might try something a little less abrasive - I'd be wary of using a brake hone on aluminum.

I'd suggest using some valve grinding compound or even polishing compound and working the old tube into the slider.

Offline siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2018, 07:13:20 PM »
The wheel cylinder hones did the trick. The tubes are now sliding like they should. I should have checked that the first time. The other times that I have had front ends apart, they were in working condition to start with. It never occurred to me that the tubes would not necessarily fit. Duh! You live and learn. Now to put it all back together again....

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #148 on: July 11, 2018, 08:20:55 PM »
 :thumb:

Offline izzug otom

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2018, 08:58:05 PM »
What a great job you've done here .......... tips hat

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here