Author Topic: Naval aviation  (Read 419 times)

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Naval aviation
« on: July 21, 2021, 10:31:37 AM »
Cold cats and ramp strikes, has to be one of the hardest jobs n aviation.  Good video
https://youtu.be/cmkv-gsqvlo
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Naval aviation
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 08:11:25 AM »
Thanks for that! Sending to my family.

Yup. My dad (early 50’s) lost half the squadron training on the new at the time canted deck. Lt. JG pilot, Blackcat Night Fighters, Corsairs… he decided to pass on that career ladder..

Imagine landing in a slight crosswind w a deck moving up and down while staying inline w the off angle landing zone

Lucky for me he turned to farming.. :popcorn:

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 09:36:50 AM »
Chuck,
I knew you would clock in for this.
My 2 great friends (who may have been on the same carrier as your dad), added big bones and muscle before I met them. It's a tite fit, especially when in a hurry. Be well,  R3~

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 10:44:21 AM »
 Very interesting video. I knew a dude that was an A-6 pilot that ejected on take off. His BN ejected into the underside of the flight deck and was killed. He hit the island, then a parked plane, then the deck. Broken back and neck but no paralysis. It did end his flight status.
 Several of my flight instructors were former naval aviators from WWII, Korea and SE Asia. Interesting dudes.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 10:44:21 AM »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 10:50:44 AM »
One of our former glider club instructors flew F-106s back in the late 50s and early 60s. On one takeoff he had an almost total hydraulic failure and had to go to an immediate landing without time to dump fuel. Due to the planes weight he had to touchdown at 220mph! He said he stopped about 10 yards from the end of the runway and no tires blew.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here