Author Topic: Ubuntu for laptop  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
Ubuntu for laptop
« on: June 19, 2019, 10:36:59 AM »
For the adepts:  I'm running Win7 on a Dell Inspiron and Macrostiff is going to cut off support after Dec 31. Of course they want to sell me Win10 but I'm thinking Ubuntu. Dell says it will run, and it looks like Libreoffice will replace all the Office-suite functions I need including exporting pdf docs.

Any reason NOT to do this?
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Re: Ubuntu for laptop
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 10:43:27 AM »
I've been running Ubuntu for years on a variety of machines through a series of upgrade versions.  BTW, Ubuntu just announced end of support for any 32 bit machines.  So, as long as your hardware is 64bit compliant you should go for it.  The ONLY reason I hang on to Windows is because GARMIN refuses to port their software to any Linux platform.  The only way to easily and satisfactorily run Garmin's Base Camp is to retain a W machine.  Otherwise, there isn't anything I can't do with my Ubuntu devices.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 11:08:06 AM »
I have Ubuntu on my new (well, now 2? yr old) laptop and have no issues.  Between LibreOffice and I think some remains of OpenOffice, I have yet to have a file I cannot service or utilize.   You can export into pdf without issues.  I export all my quotes into .pdf format before sending.

The biggest headache is you need to designate MS-viable format when saving files to share with non-Linux people.  Not difficult, you just need to remember to do it.   in Linux, all document files default to .odt and all image files default to .xcf even when they are imported or opened as a .jpg or a .doc/.docx file.  Designate .doc or .docx when saving or .jpg when exporting, then click and save.  Very simple.  LibreOffice will open anything, while Gimp only opens image files unless you are importing a pdf.  even that is no issue. 

Sometimes if you develop document file with inserted images, tables, etc and then save it as a .doc/.docx, the formatting will be wrecked when you open it later.  I usually develop my files (like quotes) and then export directly to .pdf to capture the formatting I want even if I do also save it as a .docx.  Maybe this is an issue of concern for some people, but ?  Seemed like similar things could happen in MS when you didn't properly anchor an image to page or paragraph or whatever but its been so long since I've done anything MS, I have little reference.  I don't do a lot of social media stuff, Garmin as mentioned, etc.   When I ordered this laptop, Ubuntu was a big selling point.  This is amazingly user friendly and versatile without pecking code to do everything like old Slackware.  I have zero disappointments. 

Meanwhile, my wife's MS laptop from work regularly drives her nuts.....  Linux is the way to go.

1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

beetle

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 04:23:03 PM »
No. Do it.

I've been running Linux since the Jurassic period. I use Windows under sufferance for work. Argh!

Also, if you absolutely must have a Windows only application, WINE is brilliant.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 04:23:03 PM »

stormshearon

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 05:10:28 PM »
Yes do it. I started  moving from Windows to Ubuntu three years back. THe last hold out is my wife's laptop, and when that dies she either goes to an iPad or a laptop with Ubuntu. Libreoffice is great and for email, Evolution works very well and can import Outlook files. I do have a Mac to take care of the Garmin and a few other items (tax software and Sena updates), but otherwise do everything on Ubuntu.

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 05:16:46 PM »
  The ONLY reason I hang on to Windows is because GARMIN refuses to port their software to any Linux platform.  The only way to easily and satisfactorily run Garmin's Base Camp is to retain a W machine.  Otherwise, there isn't anything I can't do with my Ubuntu devices.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

You can always run Windows 7 or Windows 10 in a virtual machine with Virtual Box (free) or VMWare (not free), to run the Garmin software.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 05:54:19 PM »
My ThinkPads run Windows and Ubuntu (and sometimes Kali) in a Grub-managed multi-boot environment, and I also run a variety of OS versions under VirtualBox.

Libre is a fine tool that works mostly just like Office - unless you're doing some weird and wonderful stuff, it should do fine.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 06:01:37 PM »
We been running Red Hat and then Fedora Linux for 19 years now.   Go for it with Ubuntu if that's your distribution of choice.  I don't know of any compelling reason to stick with Microsoft products.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 06:23:06 PM »
Thanks for the responses. It's unanimous, so that's how I'll go.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 06:39:45 PM »
Thanks for the responses. It's unanimous, so that's how I'll go.

I'm running the latest version of Mint. It operates very much like Windows.. and is simple to learn if you have been running windows since DOS. (old people content)
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 07:07:56 PM »
I'm running the latest version of Mint. It operates very much like Windows.. and is simple to learn if you have been running windows since DOS. (old people content)

I've been running OSs since CPM on eight-inch floppies, beginning on the Xerox 820 and Kaypro with a 1200 baud modem. Older than dirt! PC-DOS was an upgrade.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 07:16:32 PM »
My first programming classes were Gotran and Fortran on a Univac.. :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 07:38:29 PM »
Have been using Ubuntu for several years now, like it better than Win10.  Don't know as haven't tried it but maybe Garmin base camp will run under Wine.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 07:52:05 PM »
I'm running Convert, a Windows engineering program, with Wine.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 09:10:10 PM »
I've used an iMac for 12 years now, but am typing this on a HP EliteBook running Linux, and I'll probably stay with it since the Mac hardware I've got will no longer support current Mac OS's.   Does everything I need to do, with Libreoffice.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 09:11:22 PM »
I've been running OSs since CPM on eight-inch floppies, beginning on the Xerox 820 and Kaypro with a 1200 baud modem. Older than dirt! PC-DOS was an upgrade.

I wrote drivers for a couple of CPM and MPM installs.

But the most 'fun' was writing software that was installed using punched paper tape on a teletype.

Now I use, and like Win 10. It is compatible with all of my software, and has a lot of features to keep all of my devices in sync. It just works for me.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 10:32:21 PM »
You could always dual-boot  :evil:

Ubuntu rocks. Only reason I'm not 100% in is Photoshop. I just can't get to liking GIMP. My daughter's laptop is Ubuntu, a refurbed Lenovo I bought for $120 and stuck a $100 SSD in. That thing is awesome. She hit a virus the other day surfing. Tried to download some Windows executable file. Locked the computer up but after a reboot it was like it never even happened. ONLY problem I've had is installing HP printers. Right now the problem seems to be on HP's end.

I've had zero problems with Win10. I like it. I like Ubuntu. I do find Ubuntu to be significantly faster.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline hzbloke

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 02:04:28 AM »
I ran Ubuntu on a Dell Inspiron 64bit for years. It worked fine. A bit clunky here and there and not as easy to use 'straight out of the box' as Windows but never really had a problem. I suspect Mint may be more user-friendly.
2019 Kawasaki Z900rs
2008 Breva 750
1986 BMW R65

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 02:25:09 PM »
Like AJ I did a dual boot on my PC after I got virus attack.  Now it's Linux Mint and Win 7.  When support for 7 dies, I'll just run Mint.

My wife has Win 10 on her latptop and I can't stand it.  Using Win 10 just makes me feel like I'm "giving in to the man."  But...Linux can be quirky and frustrating.

Your choice of the devil you want.

Joe

P.S.  Chuck, my first computer class was Fortran too.  Remember punch cards?
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 02:32:02 PM »
There is a free program called keyfinder that will tell you your W7 install code.

With that in hand you can then go to the official windows site and download and "upgrade" to W10 for free.

I have done it on three machines so far including the one I am typing on right now. 

W10 works fine on older computers that used to run W7 or 8.

Microsoft no longer advertises this upgrade but it still works.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 02:33:55 PM by guzziownr »
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 07:34:09 PM »
How is it pronounced? You bun too, oobuntoo, uboontoo? Just curious.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here