Author Topic: girls/small women's riding gear??  (Read 1660 times)

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
girls/small women's riding gear??
« on: June 19, 2019, 03:49:13 PM »
So My youngest daughter went on a ride with me and loves the bike!  So I need to get her some gear. I have two daughters, and a wife, that are all pretty much the same size..  so Ill be getting gear that will work for whoever wants to ride with me..  5'2-5'4 120-130 lbs...  Anyway...  would like to find a jacket, gloves, and riding pants. My daughter hate jeans, or anything not sportswear....  so a pull over pant would be good.  Whats out there for women, that's in the more value range, but still safe? Im a leather jacket guy...  but really, the kids are not tied to leather, so a modern fabric would be good. Thanks for any help!
Paul B

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
Re: girls/small women's riding gear??
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 04:08:19 PM »
Aerostich will custom make stuff for your daughter.  If by "value" you mean inexpensive, then that won't fit the bill.  If by "value" you mean getting a superior item at a fair price, then the 'stich stuff is the way to go.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 05:34:47 PM »
For the smaller sizes, check out the motocross gear section - they start there around age 8, 'tho' the colour schemes are somewhat garish for us old farts.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 08:32:25 PM »
Now if you want them to fight over the riding gear Italian Design is the way to go.

Dianese.

The fabric gear is less expensive.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 08:32:25 PM »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 08:44:29 PM »
We've had good luck with Alpinestar and Joe Rocket armored textile jackets in smaller women's sizes for the kids.

Pants, gloves, and boots are usually dirt oriented.

CycleGear is a good source of your have one locally.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 09:07:14 PM »
Both Aerostich and Revzilla have women there who will talk to the intended recipient and discuss sizing, fit, and all like that.   Worked great for my long-legged wife ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 09:21:08 PM »
I have in my attic a small size Hein Gericke leather jacket that my late wife of about that size wore. Free to you if you’d like it. PM me.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 10:12:06 PM »
+1 on the joe rocket and my wife used the Power Trip line. The protection pads are not geared for high speed sliding or high speed impacts but should be  adequate for normal everyday touring type riding.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 07:12:46 AM »
Those sizes usually end up on closeouts so check ebay, www.motorcyclegear. com and www.motorcycleclose outs.com 

If you have a Cyclegear close by they are a nice source to try out gear.

If you are within traveling distance to Columbus, OH, Iron Pony is a huge super walmart size store full of motorcycle gear.  When I walked in there the Internet came to life.  LOL!
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 07:48:18 AM »
I have in my attic a small size Hein Gericke leather jacket that my late wife of about that size wore. Free to you if you’d like it. PM me.

PM sent.  Thanks.

No cyclegear nearby at all.  Thanks for the other info.  Lots to look into.
Paul B

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 05:20:28 PM »
Paul,
Are your daughters still growing?
How long will they be riding, ie passing fad or are they going to do this often.
Both of these issues will dictate to route you taking in gearing them up.
If your daughters can actually be fitted with off the shelf gear, great, if not made to measure is the way to go.
The same with the better half.
Beware of putting bike gear away in the cupboard for extended periods, I find it mysteriously shrinks...
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 05:25:06 PM »
Paul,
Are your daughters still growing?
How long will they be riding, ie passing fad or are they going to do this often.
Both of these issues will dictate to route you taking in gearing them up.
If your daughters can actually be fitted with off the shelf gear, great, if not made to measure is the way to go.
The same with the better half.
Beware of putting bike gear away in the cupboard for extended periods, I find it mysteriously shrinks...

My oldest daughter is done growing...  But not sure how often she will ride. Not really into it... My youngest is still growing... but right now shes the same size as my wife, and oldest. Shes the most likely to keep riding..  I figure is she continues to like it, Ill get her set up in the future, and my wife will get what she wears now.. 
Paul B

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 06:07:25 PM »
I found an almost new  Vanson leather jacket for my 5’5”, 115lb daughter on Facebook Marketplace for $40.  It still had the Vanson box it came in.  It fits her like it was custom made.

It’s hard for small, slim women to find gear that fits well.  American brands usually have a square cut(because Americans tend to be porcine).  Fit is very important.  I’d suggest you search Craigslist and FB Marketplace for European brands.  However, if your daughters are on the busty side and still small, you’re almost better getting something custom(if you want leather) because most jackets will be way too big in the torso.  Textile is easier because there a ton of adjustment in a typical decent quality textile jacket.  Rev’it makes decent stuff that’s sometimes priced like higher quality gear but there are some good values in their line and secondhand they usually are a good spend. 

We went the leather route with Sophie because 1)everyone should own a good black leather jacket in their life and 2)if she ever decides she doesn’t want to ride again she has a classic scooter/cafe style jacket that she can continue to wear for decades to come. 

Also, join ADVrider.  The Marketplace forum has an excellent gear section and I’ve bought dozens of items over the years. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 06:11:49 PM by JohninVT »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here