Author Topic: Long Distance Travel  (Read 1153 times)

Offline yamaguzzi

• New Egg
  • I ride I wrench I ride some more
    • Riding The T And The K
Long Distance Travel
« on: October 10, 2023, 09:09:00 AM »
I'm wanting to go on a 2 or 3 month ride out west from New York to the west next summer.Done this a few times .Last time was in 2010 on my 850-T .I was 61 then and went alone.Now I'm 74 and looking for a riding partner to do a similar road trip.Different ride with different places but the same kind of thing. Camping most of the time going between 200 to 400 on days we ride ,no interstates only US highways , state and county roads .Maybe into Canada some.I want to do this on my 1975 850-T like last time.I could take my 88 BMW K100RS but the T is so much better and easy to work on in the field if that ever becomes necessary.It didn't on the last ride and that was almost 3 months and 14,000 miles.So,the search for someone who would be into something like this begins. I would prefer someone who lives fairly close to the NYC metro area so we could ride some and get to know each other a bit. If interested email me at guzzi850rider@gmail.com . Thanks , Ed

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: Long Distance Travel
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 09:13:47 AM »
Yeah right—you’re just looking for someone to carry some of that load you got on those bikes  :grin:

Seriously, though—sounds fun! Wish I could take so much time off work and away from the cats, otherwise I’d join!
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline yamaguzzi

• New Egg
    • Riding The T And The K
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 09:29:22 AM »
Thing is that when you are living off your motorcycle you have to have everything you need to deal with whatever . Tools , basic supplyy of spares, food,water,camping gear, cloths.I did the last ride with 5 grand in my pocket and still had over 300 bucks when I got home.Without what you need you spend 3 times that on the road for lodging, maintenance , food ,. Damn , a motel room can cast over 100 bucks a night in many places where campsites are usually 20 and even free sometimes .BLM land in undeveloped areas is free and here at this beach on BLM land

in California it was a whopping 8 bucks a night ! 

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 10:08:50 AM »
I will probably be going to the mgnoc national in Oregon last weekend in June,probably leave a week prior.If you are coming thru sw Wisconsin you can stop here and maybe ride together,sound s like my kind of trip.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 10:08:50 AM »

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 10:14:08 AM »
wow that beach with the driftwood is so beautiful... maybe I will come and ride across that huge continent someday!! (did some riding in california and texas way back)

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 10:26:23 AM »
 My first cross country MC trip was in 1972 on my Norton. Left with 400 bucks in my pocket, and no credit card, whats a credit card? 8500 miles in 4 weeks and would have had 100 bucks left but had the get a valve job on the Norton in Winnipeg. No more camping for me these days. Lots to see out there, you won’t have any problem filling up three months.

Somewhere in South Dakota

Pete
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 10:33:37 AM by PeteS »

Offline yamaguzzi

• New Egg
    • Riding The T And The K
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 01:03:55 PM »
Yeah , my first cross country was very much the same.In 1969 I headed west from LI NY to LA California on a 250 Yamaha YDS3 with my friend on the back so we could both attend Los Angles City College .Two hippies on a 2 stroke ..We did fine and used that bike for the year we were there then I rode it east with this girl I met out there a year later.Don't think it cost more than 300 bucks to do that trip one way

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 03:06:59 PM »
Looks familiar. Before the Norton I had a first generation Yamaha 350 YR1 which I rode to Woodstock. Encountered a couple on the way riding a 250 Suzuki and burned out headlight riding at night and had them follow me for a while.

Pete

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2023, 04:44:00 PM »
I had some cool striped bell bottoms like those too.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2023, 04:48:27 PM »
Wow, you have more nerve than I do. Taking a trip with someone you don't know well can turn out to be a DISASTER! I know this from 'sperience   GOOD  LUCK!!!  :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline yamaguzzi

• New Egg
    • Riding The T And The K
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2023, 05:36:46 PM »
Well , when you're on the road and things don't work out it's pretty easy to just move on alone . You know, you just pack up in the morning hit the start button and go. I've traveled with strangers plenty in my life.In 1971 I hich hiked to Alaska  from NY and back .I was with strangers for 3 months and some of those strangers became really good friends.I bought my camp in the Adirondacks from people I met on the first day of that trip .When I bought it we had already known each other 6 years.They are dead and gone and their three daughters are still friends. So,I'm not too concerned about the unknown with strangers.I'm a traveler.I've traveled my entire life.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2023, 05:39:19 PM »
Well , when you're on the road and things don't work out it's pretty easy to just move on alone . You know, you just pack up in the morning hit the start button and go. I've traveled with strangers plenty in my life.In 1971 I hich hiked to Alaska  from NY and back .I was with strangers for 3 months and some of those strangers became really good friends.I bought my camp in the Adirondacks from people I met on the first day of that trip .When I bought it we had already known each other 6 years.They are dead and gone and their three daughters are still friends. So,I'm not too concerned about the unknown with strangers.I'm a traveler.I've traveled my entire life.

ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2023, 08:22:43 PM »
I had a YDS3 during my senior year in college. It was a good bike but I wouldn't have ridden it across the country. With the $500 my parents gave as a graduation gift I replaced it with a used R50/2. It was more suited for long distance rides.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2023, 04:51:46 AM »
Thing is that when you are living off your motorcycle you have to have everything you need to deal with whatever . Tools , basic supplyy of spares, food,water,camping gear, cloths.I did the last ride with 5 grand in my pocket and still had over 300 bucks when I got home.Without what you need you spend 3 times that on the road for lodging, maintenance , food ,. Damn , a motel room can cast over 100 bucks a night in many places where campsites are usually 20 and even free sometimes .BLM land in undeveloped areas is free and here at this beach on BLM land

in California it was a whopping 8 bucks a night !

Heck I'm happy to get a hotel for under $150 a night.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline yamaguzzi

• New Egg
    • Riding The T And The K
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2023, 08:35:58 AM »
My pockets aren't deep enough to waste it on a bed.My tent and air mattress will do just fine as it's always done in the past. For that one night at 150. I can buy enough gas to get me 1500 miles at 40 mpg at 4 bucks a gallon . So at that rate 2 nights of a motel equals 3000 miles ,3 equally 4500 and so on .Total waste of money in my opinion

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2023, 05:53:36 AM »
Ditto..motorcycle travel and camping just go together, and what’s a trip without meeting people? Harder w multiple riders, and so easy alone

Big thumbs up on the 1970’s packing technology!! 😎

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2023, 07:31:53 AM »
The 60's-70's imagery in this thread is the stuff good movies are made of. I am personally in awe of someone who did a 2-up 2-stroke cross-country trip with no fairing or modern "gear". I know lots of people did it (I knew 2 dudes who did 2-up from Ill to Fla for spring break on a Honda 350 four in the 80's, similar, but nowhere near the same), but to hear it first-hand is always special.

How did all those roller-chains hold up back then? They weren't the modern O-ring type I'm sure.

Wish I could join you on your trip, I'm in CT and would be going right past you on the way out. Too many obligations at this point in my life, I'm sure I'll be in my 70's like you when I do it again. Done it myself a couple times, and I agree with the hotel sentiment....I once slept inside my bike cover (why in the heck was I packing that?) in a ditch on a farm road in Kansas. Too tired, too dark, too remote to find a proper campsite.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2023, 08:26:54 AM »
The allure of long distance travel crystallised into reality for me in 2021 on this.

18,000 km in 6 weeks…
That put a lot of things in perspective.

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2023, 10:24:16 AM »
I like the camping but since the 80s it seems that unless you are retired there is not enough time ,excluding camping a couple nights at a rally.Last year a friend and I camped for 6 nights straight on our way to the ID rally and were glad to get in a cabin when we arrived.We rode home in 3 days,motels 2 nights,would have taken another day if camping.Best trips I took were in the 70s and didn’t have a definite return date.Looking forward to a similar trip to the National.I remember bitching whe forced to pay 12$ for a motel.

Offline yamaguzzi

• New Egg
    • Riding The T And The K
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2023, 04:22:48 PM »
I will probably be going to the mgnoc national in Oregon last weekend in June,probably leave a week prior.If you are coming thru sw Wisconsin you can stop here and maybe ride together,sound s like my kind of trip.
That could work if I'm out on the road that early.I'm thinking of going later like late July or early August so I can hit the Barber Vintage Festival in early October on the return trip.

Offline yamaguzzi

• New Egg
    • Riding The T And The K
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2023, 04:34:46 PM »
Ditto..motorcycle travel and camping just go together, and what’s a trip without meeting people? Harder w multiple riders, and so easy alone

You are 100% right about meeting people traveling alone .On my last cross country I was all alone and met people everywhere I went.People just came over at gas stations and started talking to me, telling me good places to go and so on.In reality I was never alone except when I was riding or in a motel which I did every 10 to 15 days or so . This link goes to a blog post I wrote about a trip to Nova Scotia I took in 2014
https://motoguzzi850t.blogspot.com/2015/11/a-post-from-past.html

Offline yamaguzzi

• New Egg
    • Riding The T And The K
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2023, 04:53:06 PM »
The 60's-70's imagery in this thread is the stuff good movies are made of. I am personally in awe of someone who did a 2-up 2-stroke cross-country trip with no fairing or modern "gear". I know lots of people did it (I knew 2 dudes who did 2-up from Ill to Fla for spring break on a Honda 350 four in the 80's, similar, but nowhere near the same), but to hear it first-hand is always special.

How did all those roller-chains hold up back then? They weren't the modern O-ring type I'm sure.

Wish I could join you on your trip, I'm in CT and would be going right past you on the way out. Too many obligations at this point in my life, I'm sure I'll be in my 70's like you when I do it again. Done it myself a couple times, and I agree with the hotel sentiment....I once slept inside my bike cover (why in the heck was I packing that?) in a ditch on a farm road in Kansas. Too tired, too dark, too remote to find a proper campsite.

Thanks for the compliment. I could have made a movie but  you know, we all did crazy stuff like this back then.We were different than 20 year olds of today for sure. The ride on that YDS3 coming east a year later was more " movie material like" than the ride west in "69 . Here is a link to that story . It was touch & go for a while but we came thru it alright .
https://motoguzzi850t.blogspot.com/2023/10/ride-east-1970.html

Offline yamaguzzi

• New Egg
    • Riding The T And The K
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2023, 06:24:28 PM »
The allure of long distance travel crystallised into reality for me in 2021 on this.

18,000 km in 6 weeks…
That put a lot of things in perspective.
WOW ! That looks like an awesome ride man ! Post more about it ! Rides like these are what motorcycling is really all about.

Offline yamaguzzi

• New Egg
    • Riding The T And The K
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2023, 06:29:17 PM »

The people we meet on here rides are what it's all about. It's almost like family .You know , you are out on the road in some unknown place and here you are with people of like mind who will help you if you need and point you in directions that you never would have traveled to. Free range travel is the best !

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2023, 01:11:00 AM »
WOW ! That looks like an awesome ride man ! Post more about it ! Rides like these are what motorcycling is really all about.
There is a thread here called “Cape to Cape”
That’ll cover it.

Offline rustygman

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2023, 02:40:22 AM »
Great blog stories yamaguzzi, sounds like a life well lived.

Interesting to me that you want to travel with someone else when you have previously enjoyed solo travel (which I much prefer). Is that an age thing? I am 61, so younger than you, and no way would i want to head out with a relative stranger.
Back on a Guzzi again. 1100i Cali.

Offline yamaguzzi

• New Egg
    • Riding The T And The K
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2023, 06:19:51 AM »
Great blog stories yamaguzzi, sounds like a life well lived.

Interesting to me that you want to travel with someone else when you have previously enjoyed solo travel (which I much prefer). Is that an age thing? I am 61, so younger than you, and no way would i want to head out with a relative stranger.

Yes , it's an age thing.I'll be 75 when I do this next summer if I'm lucky enough to be able to do it. So far so good so we'll see. I was 61 when I went out west last time alone .It was great.I could probably go it alone this time too but my wife is making noise about that. I'm looking for a riding partner now so there is time to get to know each other and do some riding and wrenching first as well. But that is in a perfect world ,in reality I'll probably end up going alone like I did the last two times in '10 and '14 . I ride alone up to my camp in the Adirondacks often .That's a 400 mile ride each way and usually do another 1000 while up  so I know I can do it. It's a matter of pacing yourself and not pushing to get anyplace .That's the beauty of solo travel, that freedom to go at your own pace.

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2023, 07:55:32 AM »
I’ve done solo and companion rides and both can be good or bad,you never know until you go.I have been going with a friend or 2 since my wife quit riding .Recently started with a friend whose bike kep t acting up so we split after a couple days and  I had solo 650 mile run home and it was fun,but the adventure together was also good even if we didn’t stick to the original plan,he eventually solved hid bike problems and enjoyed the rest of his trip solo.If you go with someone and it isn’t working hit the starter button and go,like Ed says.A friend and I were riding from Chicago on our 750 Hondas back in 75 heading to California by way of Canada but we split up the first day due to different riding speed preferences.I had a great trip the rest of the way and so did he.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here