Author Topic: Stelvio Q’s for late night musing  (Read 782 times)

Online nashopolis

• New Egg
    • Isle of Printing
Stelvio Q’s for late night musing
« on: April 19, 2021, 12:08:30 AM »
Howdy all 

I’ve been eye balling Stelvio’s all winter. Read up on them etc.  thinking of consolidating my fleet of old bikes into one newish bike. 
It would be a big change - going from naked bikes like an 86 R80, Dr250se, and a Ural to a big bike with a fairing.   Main reason is to simplify life and have one bike that works vs many that need something so I can use my precious free time riding.  Not totally sure why I got the Stelvio bug,  I started by considering a Griso but wanted something setup better for touring.   Based on folks comments everyone seems to like them and they appear to be great machines.  I reckon in a perfect world I’d find one to take a ride on first.  That of course is easier said than done with niche  used bikes

As I’ve been thinking about these bikes my  knee jerk reaction was to look for an 8v - bigger fuel tank, factory rollerized, newer...
But lately I’ve started to wonder if a 4v would suit my needs - and be cheaper to boot!
I’m more of a cruiser than a rocket pilot - so the souped up engine doesn’t seem as important to me.

I’m hoping  in general for a solid bike with ABS that I might be able to take some longer trips ( occasionally ) and ride locally on Sundays (mostly)
And I like Guzzis (74 eldorado and a 2000 jackal)
The range of the 8v seems really appealing - beyond that and the uptuned motor,  in practice are they pretty much the same bike?

Real world - is the range really a big deal?  Most of my riding locally occurs within a tank of gas,  so right now it isn’t but thinking of cross country touring does it get in the way?  Would a few gallons in a aux carrier suffice? 

Additionally
I had  the thought of setting up my ural sidecar on the Stelvio eventually to take my kids around on a big trip with me.  But research seems to point toward this not being a great bike to hack.  Fall back position is to get my jackal fully sorted and enjoy what I have - hack it someday

Opinions and thoughts welcomed.

Offline John Warner

• Gosling
  • Growing old is mandatory, growing up is not . . .
    • Stelvio/V85 Owners Group FB
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 03:49:38 AM »
There are no 4-Valve Stelvios, so that makes your choice simpler.
It's a common mistake, due to Guzzi themselves labelling them differently at different times, they are all 4-Valves-per-Head Engines, hence the 'Quattro Valvole' label on the Rocker Covers.

The 8V Engine will 'cruise' all you like, and return great fuel mileage at 'sedate' speeds (60-70mph).
I can get almost 200 miles from my Small Tank Stelvio on a long steady run.
192 miles is my personal best so far, and I'm determined to crack the 'Double-Ton' one day.

The problem is, the Engine is so intoxicating to rev beyond half-way on the Tacho, it's difficult to restrain the urge for a full Tank's worth of riding!  :thumb:

The 2011 onwards Stelvios have the 32 litre Tank (17 litre on the 2008-2010 models).
It adds a bit of weight up high, but only when full, and of course you don't have to fill it up every time.

They are amazing Bikes, they just do it all, no matter what you throw at (or on) them.

As I understand it, Guzzi recommend against fitting a 'fixed' Sidecar, due to the extra strain they put on the Swing-arm and/or Final Drive Unit.
Having said that, there are plenty around with them fitted, as a quick Google image search will show, and I've yet to hear/read of any having issues.

An option might be a Kalich style Leaner Sidecar.
Almost the same carrying capacity as a fixed Chair, but on/off in 15 mins, and still rides like a Solo.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 03:52:48 AM by John Warner »
Doc out . . .
Stelvio Owners Group on FB ~ https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf

Offline Paul_Tim

• New Egg
Re: Stelvio Q’s for late night musing
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 06:45:46 AM »

The thing to look out for on the earlier (labelled 4V) engines before 2012 is the Flat Tappet issue and the wear of the coatings. Later engines had roller tappets and earlier engines will need this retrofitting. If it has not been done yet the cost will need figuring in, someone more local to you can probably give a better estimate than me. My "4V" was rollerised at about 20K miles, now up to 47K with no problems.

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 07:04:12 AM »
I have 57000 on my 14 Stelvio.call me 608 583 7603 and I can answer your questions.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 07:04:12 AM »

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 09:34:49 AM »
I love mine, and the range is nice to have when you are in areas where fuel availability is sketchy. I don't have to fill up at overpriced stations in tiny towns where the premium pump handle has cobwebs on it. The downside is when you need a break, you have to admit it to yourself. You can't hide behind the need to stop for gas.

Online nashopolis

• New Egg
    • Isle of Printing
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 10:11:44 AM »
Appreciate all the thoughts and nomenclature education!

Definitely would look for a rollerized bike either way.  It’s hard to argue with newer / more capacity in the tank.  Price and proximity would be the siren calls for the earlier bikes..

Re sidecars
I reckon I can always hack my jackal and then have a solo Stelvio to ride!  Haha. The real question is if I will miss having an airhead and little dual sport - and I’d end up with 3 guzzis! I’ve never been a one brand biker.   My jackal is the heaviest (two wheeled) bike I have... a Stelvio would be slightly heavier.  I guess I really just need to find a Stelvio to sit on and hopefully ride. 

TKelly thanks I’ll holler at you!

Offline John Warner

• Gosling
  • Growing old is mandatory, growing up is not . . .
    • Stelvio/V85 Owners Group FB
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 01:31:46 PM »
I usually recommend anyone looking at a Stelvio to get a good long test ride, but as you're a Guzzi Man already, that won't be quite so critical.
I'd still try and do at least an hour on one before you decide.

The height and weight can be a negative when you first ride one, but after an hour or two, you won't want to give the Keys back!
Doc out . . .
Stelvio Owners Group on FB ~ https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 06:22:23 PM »
I am a big fan of my 2017 Stelvio NTX. Just an all-around fabulous bike that goes just about anywhere. It'll never be a dirt-bike or a sport bike, but it comes closer to both than you might expect. It's also a comfy two-up tourer if that matters to you.

The bags are great - almost too good in one respect. I have opened them at high elevation, then dropped several thousand feet and hard a hard time opening them because they vapor locked. If they are air-proof, that means they are seriously water proof.

Range does matter. I like the huge gas tank for two reasons 1) fewer trips to the pump when I am just riding around town, and 2) it is a proverbial camel in the dessert. I rode through central Nevada without a worry - and the majority of other bikes out there had to carry extra gas cans.

1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 08:35:25 PM »
Anyone know the status of the Stelvio rally mentioned here a few months ago?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here