Author Topic: How was your day  (Read 505877 times)

Penderic

Re: How was your' day
« Reply #390 on: October 19, 2013, 12:09:37 AM »
Another day ... another good one as usual, I feel blessed ... today, more slow, but steady progress on my old garden tractor rebuild - today all wheels are attached and tomorrow the new style disk brake will be connected and she will roll! Engine sitting on bench waiting to be dropped in ... soon soon....

Spike Jones? Now that you don't mention it, its the famous Shaving Creme song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rpq6u8hYgk

(Illogically triggered by my minds reaction to a brief visual glimpse of the name "Doctor Demento!")
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:26:59 AM by Penderic »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #391 on: October 19, 2013, 07:26:58 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Ml6ex1OWk
Or Homer & Jethro

And the modern day version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1CEvt2lyuc
Pinkard & Bowden
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 07:37:35 AM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

lucydad

« Reply #392 on: October 19, 2013, 10:30:34 AM »
Oh man I recall fondly Dr. Demento and the shaving cream song...good stuff from college days long ago and far away.

The work week went well...decided against NOLA due to need to care for my wife's dad with Alzheimer's:  family trumps career for now.

All geared up and I am going to try the new leather jacket.  A cool front blew through Houston.  I hope for a non-event parking the bike in the garage.

LongRanger

« Reply #393 on: October 19, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »
This year I notice something different.  You know those marching bands -- the little kids from middle school and such that are still learning their instruments?  Well they sound a little too good as they tune up.  I took a peek.  Only the drum line is real.  The brass (and for some reason choir vocals) this year are comming from a sound truck behind the kids.  The little urchins are 'lip synching'.  The drum line is USCG.

I'm afraid this is nothing new. My high school marching band played in a Parade of Lights parade at Disneyland in the mid-70's. The sound came from floats interspersed between sections of the band (about 120 band members ). It was disappointing to be part of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #393 on: October 19, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »

lucydad

« Reply #394 on: October 19, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »
Dusty,

Life is great:  fall hit TEXAS, gig going better, brother doing better, wife not mad at me, cool/dry weather, sun out, V7R, new black leather jacket, a long windy fast ride, parked ok, and now a nap.  ;-T

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #395 on: October 20, 2013, 05:32:28 PM »
             Damn! That's a bitch, S M. Coincidentally, all of mine had a rare dose of oil last week but I don't think it would have stopped that from happening.
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #396 on: October 20, 2013, 05:33:36 PM »
To make a bad situation even worse, I'm out of liquor

Didn't hurt till then..  ;D
I took Rosie out for a 40 mile run to warm her up for the Winter service. I'd previously set the suspension per Todd, and wanted to see how she did. A little more compliant than what I'd had, and still solid in the curve I found.  ;) ;D I love this scooter.. ;-T
Drained all the fluids, changed out the filter, refilled, etc.
Life is good....
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #397 on: October 20, 2013, 06:34:54 PM »
I have an idea for a 2-piece shift linkage but I'll have to source the materials from Mcmaster, I have spent hours browsing their website. I polished off my bottle of absinthe Friday and I only have 1 glass of Merlot left, blue laws suck ass ::(
          My life education is incomplete and absinthe is a mystery to me but Merlot is one of my faves ;D except for the gout. "...blue laws...", no idea. Cultural divide exceeds my powers of comprehension. Translation needed.
          However, the 2-piece linkage sounds interesting. The way those little ball joints run without lube bothers me but I suppose the looser they are the better, so they won't seize? 
Oz
04 Cali

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #398 on: October 20, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »
Today is our 8th Unniversary. We commemorate the day when Cindy and I pledged our love before Mom and Dog. We wanted to include the state, but due to a legal snafu, we couldn't be married legally. However, thanks to my sister, Cecil, who supplied the wedding feast, we enjoyed Chicago deep dish pizza and Chicago hot dogs, the only kind worth having. So,today we celebrated by riding the horses all around the property and will finish the day with my home made Deep dish Pizza, which, IMHO, is better than you can find in Chi-town.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #399 on: October 21, 2013, 12:05:18 AM »
             So Alabama is deserted on Sunday? ~; ;D Sounds as quirky as New South Wales 55 years ago when you could not go shooting on Sunday. But the absinthe sounds like a treat ;D however I can't visualise the "J" shaped stainless jacket. Perhaps a spoonful of absinthe on my gunpowder will help ;D
Oz
04 Cali

oldbike54

« Reply #400 on: October 21, 2013, 12:21:46 PM »
We were worried you weren't gonna make it until the package store opened today SM .  ;D
Dusty

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #401 on: October 21, 2013, 05:33:29 PM »
            Ingenious and Cheap ;-T
Oz
04 Cali

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #402 on: October 21, 2013, 08:30:28 PM »
I had a glimmer of humor today.

Guy comes in for a special order 75' video cable to put a monitor in the back of his fishing boat.  It takes a sturdy outdoor cable to survive the marine environment, and the stuff isn't cheap.  So when he arrived I connected the ends of the coiled-up cable from my laptop to a monitor to show him it worked and the signal was strong.  He fingered it for a moment, looking puzzled.  I asked what the problem was.  He said "Can we stretch it out?  It works well enough with the monitor and computer side-by-side, but what happens when I move it 75 feet away?"

oldbike54

« Reply #403 on: October 21, 2013, 08:35:22 PM »
OH MY RK , are you sure this guy is safe to turn lose on the water ?  :D
Dusty

Penderic

« Reply #404 on: October 21, 2013, 10:30:17 PM »
Progress! Dull sky. Short and gray days. What happened to the beautiful sunshine? Sigh. At least it is not soggy yet!

Anyways, I got the wheels on my 1967 Jacobsen 12 hp! garden tractor rebuild and the brake linkage is almost done, just need a missing brake/clutch spring ....that I forgot and left in the cart at Walmart last week. (Doh!)

Here is my baby.

Tomorrow, drop in the engine and pulleys, and the next phase will be learning how to make the replacement bodywork.

The original metal is very thick sheet metal, heavy, but the design allows water to pool and results in the bottom rusting through eventually. The mounting points get distorted and the many of the sheet metal corners begins to fracture ... ugly!

I haven't seen any replacements in good shape but I lucked out last week and got some free stainless steel sheet metal, in the same gauge - heavy, and I that's what I'll learn on - I will have to make some bending equipment to do some of the pieces .... I'm learning something new!  ;-T
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:43:20 PM by Penderic »

oldbike54

« Reply #405 on: October 21, 2013, 10:39:06 PM »
 ;-T
Dusty

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #406 on: October 22, 2013, 11:06:06 PM »
          His "other eye" is a worry. Skin can grow back, albeit paifully but if his sight is lost, then he has paid a terrible price. Hope the owners had him insured.
Oz
04 Cali

Offline Pfaff!

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate"
« Reply #407 on: October 23, 2013, 11:31:26 AM »
None of your bizznizz! >:(
Anders Holt

Breva V 750 ie "Rossinante" '03. Running fine ever since. Sold.
Pushing bikes these days.

"El camino amigo, el camino y nada mas"

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #408 on: October 23, 2013, 06:00:48 PM »
Better luck next time, Pfaff ;D There's always a next time.
Oz
04 Cali

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #409 on: October 23, 2013, 06:53:44 PM »
Spent 6hrs yesterday converting stock 15M Cali spark advance map to a advance map for MyP8ECU from Cliff. Filling in all the boxes w/numbers on the map made me sleepy and had to take a nap. Downloaded it this morning and started, accelerated, run bike w/just head pipe & crossover. Seems no one is using his ECU in Cali's so I have a stock P8 to ride bike w/Techlusion fuel box till I can sort the mapping. Piece of mind knowing I have a spark map that works on stock. Now I can get back to fueling. Kind of sick of mapping, software, numbers and such. 
Time for that bottle of Makers Mark!!!!
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #410 on: October 24, 2013, 01:06:09 AM »
               I'll bet it's expensive. Hope the owners come to the party, unless he has his own insurance.
Oz
04 Cali

Vasco DG

« Reply #411 on: October 26, 2013, 06:40:48 AM »
Well, this is more like a 'How was your weekend?'

Jude had been off most of the week in Queensland running courses for beef farmers on how to avoid getting Foot and Mouth disease or some such nonsense. Thing is I had a plane ticket I'd bought for a work trip a few months back that needed using up so we thought we'd take a long weekend away in SE Queensland.

We hadn't been in this neck of the woods really for twenty or more years and our last real visit to the Sunshine Coast, (Just north of Brisbane.) was pretty much in 1983. That's a L-O-N-G time ago when we and our friends were still comparatively young and spunky! A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then.

After missing my direct flight, (A car crash near Bungendore and I ferried a woman to the doctor which caused me to miss it.) I had to bunny-hop it via Sydney and rather than just driving to Toowoomba, some 60-70 odd miles we met in Brisbane at the airport where some of her colleagues were getting the flight back south. All her gear and the pre-booked motel room were back in Toowoomba though so we had to fight both the Thursday night traffic and the roadworks back there. Let's just say we were pooped and ate a quick meal and fell into the farter.

Friday dawned and we spent most of the day meandering around the Darling Downs before heading back through Gympie and into the Blackall ranges behind the Sunshine Coast. Now the last time we were here would of been in the early nineties with the kids when they were young. We were poor but energetic and at that time the area was a quiet, tranquil paradise.

The problem with quiet tranquil paradises is that they attract the most godawful brand of hippy! Unfortunately we found that the whole area has become one of those ghastly areas thick with 'Lifestyle Enablers', Health Spas where you will have your wallet emptied by some shrill who makes you lie on a hot rock and puts cucumbers on your eyes and rubs you with yogurt and people offering 'Tantric Navel Re-Tying' ceremonies! At the other end of the scale are super up-market 'Retreats' surrounded with barbed wire and savage dogs to keep the hoy-polloi out.

Our biggest mistake was deciding to try and find a motel. It looked like a normal motel but barely had we got out of the car what we were approached by a dreadful, toothless, tousle-haired hippy harridan with a nasty, soiled, be-holed crocheted shawl, an Indian print dress and those awful bloody finger cymbals that scream "I'm a dangerous nutter!" At you. This apparition claimed to be the proprietor and proceeded to try and explain how our auras told her that we would benefit greatly from staying in her establishment! I was already backing away and wishing I had a taser and can of Mace when her 'Partner' appeared. He was, if such a thing is possible, even more repellant than her! Shaven of head but with a ponytail at the back, a t-shirt with one of the obligatory 'Gay Whales for Nuclear Disarmament' slogans on it, huge hoops in his ears and a disgusting orange sarong! Truly a loathsome spectacle, when backlit by the evening sun, through the grubbilly diaphanous fabric of this repulsive garment it appeared that he wore no underpants and he either had a nasty growth or possessed some form of odious piercing through the end of his Mutton Gun! He too enthused about how we would benefit from sharing their humble premises! Not so humble was the amount of money this pair of superannuated, self-serving shit-for-brains suggested we should pay for the privilege of catching a nasty disease off their probably unwashed sheets! We fled!

The sad thing is that this area used to be fantastic! I'll try and further explain the horrors of later that evening a bit later.

Offline Charles in Lake Charles

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #412 on: October 26, 2013, 06:53:16 AM »
Pete,

My day just got better! Nothing like starting the day with a laugh.
TOYS:
98 Yellow Centauro, 93 SPIII, 1978 LeMans,
1977 Convert, 1975 850-T (FOR SALE),
1985 Harley FLTC, 1985 K100RT
2001 Lees-ure Lite Camper,
1988 Mercedes 560SL

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #413 on: October 26, 2013, 08:37:38 AM »
Very blessed. We welcomed Alan Roy Maracini into the world 10/25 at 0809 weighing 8.000 lbs and measuring 20 in. Mom and baby are awesome and I'm walking tall!
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #414 on: October 26, 2013, 08:41:07 AM »
Very blessed. We welcomed Alan Roy Maracini into the world 10/25 at 0809 weighing 8.000 lbs and measuring 20 in. Mom and baby are awesome and I'm walking tall!
;-T
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #415 on: October 26, 2013, 10:36:37 AM »
Mine was pretty good, I am now engaged to my wonderful girlfriend. I had a custom ring made from Texas red oak and topped with a nice garnet. I suppose the planning begins now.

Also, a question for the community here...  Does anyone have any experience with epilepsy? She was diagnosed with it after having 2 seizures in a day a few weeks ago, for the first time in her life. She is now afraid to ride pillion in case it were to happen again. She is on some medication now, so of course the hope is that it never happens again.
2011 MG v7 Classic
2020 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #416 on: October 26, 2013, 01:35:18 PM »
First time ever seizures? I would suggest a more thorough followup just to make sure it is only epilepsy.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #417 on: October 26, 2013, 02:10:31 PM »
Bit more mundane than some of the previous! ;D

Congratulations to the new parents and finances fiancés.

Pete, when we lived in Golden Bay (up the top of the SI) those people you describe were also prevalent. Used to work with an American who had a tee shirt which loudly proclaimed "Hippies Stink"

Anyway, the Breva is about to gets it's 6 month rego all ready for the summer season. Booked it in for it's WOF on Friday (has to have one before it can be rego'd) all ready for Tuesday, and on Saturday I went out ,put the key in the switch and hit button A. Cranked over a couple of times and roared in to life. Gave it a few seconds to get the oil around a bit and then it settled in to a nice even idle, even with 6 month old fuel in it. That VDG tweak you gave it works a treat. Unfortunately, I think they will turf it out for it's warrant on the rear tire; it is pretty worn.

Looking forward to being back up and running again.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

oldbike54

« Reply #418 on: October 26, 2013, 07:13:16 PM »
WHEW , leave town for 5 days and this thread got really interesting . Hope our one eyed boat watcher recovers , congrats on the edition Tazio  :) , SM , you are one unique fella , Pfaff , what's eating ya buddy ? Oh , and Muzz , you and Pete keep me entertained with that , um , colorful Aussie lingo , damned hippies .  ;D
 Dusty

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #419 on: October 27, 2013, 11:45:06 AM »
Well Dusty, it's not over yet, but good so far. 

I eschewed my normal before sunrise breakfast run for a later start.  The temperatures are so close to freezing that I wanted the roads to have a chance to lose any residual frost they might have accumulated.  It was about 2 degrees above freezing when I set off - about 3 when I got home after a couple of hours ride.

Heated gear? Pah - that's for softees! ~;

Nick

Devil Lake Road 1

Devil Lake Road 2

Desert Lake Road

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here