Author Topic: How was your day  (Read 505928 times)

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
Re: How was your' day
« Reply #480 on: November 08, 2013, 08:59:06 PM »
HUMBLE APOLOGY
Especially to SkinMechanic
           The new ball joint was not seated properly in its gear-lever-recess. That is why it fouled the starter motor.
            So Sorry :-[ :BEER:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #481 on: November 08, 2013, 09:26:45 PM »
I am moving freely and I am in NO PAIN!!! ;-T ;-T ;D

That is good news Muzz. Glad to hear things are on the improve.

but today my metal lathe arrived.

Right! I'm now officially jealous. I've wanted one since I spent time working with a bunch of tool makers at Canterbury University (Chemistry dept.)  It galls me to pay people to do a simple job that I could do better myself if I had the tools.

It is Friday, the bike is now reg'd and wof'd all ready to rumble, and all is looking good. ;-T ;-T

Excellent! Do I prepare the bunk for when you come down for the Burt Munro weekend?
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Penderic

« Reply #482 on: November 08, 2013, 09:46:58 PM »
Let it be written, it was a good day..... we had sunshine after a few days of gray days and heavy rain..... took the V7 Classic out for a spin to the hardware store.

She is running exceptionally well ... got the panniers off for some modifications and the exhaust sounds so much better with them off.

Had to smile - the bike seems nicely matched to these hilly island roads I ride all the time ... I'm a lucky lad.

& Didn't see any deer today.....

Got my garden tractor engine in last week, steering and brakes working properly, front shroud on and work began on replacing the temp fasteners with all stainless, fuel system and wiring later .....

Cast iron 500cc lump too heavy for one old guy to lift ... did a boat launch ramp and it slide right in. whew! Didnt hurt my back this time ;-T

Checking fit of hood and cowl .... more work is needed ...

Lots of little stuff yet to do ...

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #483 on: November 09, 2013, 03:09:35 AM »
            Well done mate and like your al fresco workshop ;D
Oz
04 Cali

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #483 on: November 09, 2013, 03:09:35 AM »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #484 on: November 09, 2013, 04:45:03 PM »

Excellent! Do I prepare the bunk for when you come down for the Burt Munro weekend?

Never been on any sort of rally yet John. When is the Bert Munro weekend?

Saturday was just as good as Friday. The 87 year old neighbour was up at sparrow fart all ready to get the lathe off the trailer. Hmmmm, 560 kgs and him 87 and me feeling even older. Took us some time but we got it off without it toppling and got it in to the space which has been set aside for it. Put a plug on it and things whirred in to life; always a good sign. Finished off the day with a bit of a putter around the streets gently getting rid of the mould release compound on the new back tire and burning up the 6 month old petrol. Bike is purring; ;-T took it up to 7 grand a few times just because I could and just have a wee bliss time hearing the La Franconi Symphony in 2nd  ;D ;D

Sunday is tidy the garage day. :(

Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #485 on: November 09, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
Never been on any sort of rally yet John. When is the Bert Munro weekend?

Sounds like you are really up and running Muzz, though I'm not sure you should be man handling 600lbs + of lathe about the place given you recent body mods.

I'm not a great rally goer either, but the Burt would provide a nice excuse for a ride.

A quick summery.
http://www.motorsportevents.co.nz/events/featured/burt-munro-challenge-weekend/

A bit more detail
http://www.burtmunrochallenge.com/

The option exists to register for the rally and attend whatever takes your fancy, including the shindig on Saturday night at the camp site.  Most attendees camp out at Oreti Park (on the way to the beach) but a significant number use motels etc.

Alternatively you can just attend such events as take your fancy and pay at the gate (for that event.)

I will no doubt be working (sigh... when am I not?) but if I can I try and make the Wyndham street races.  I'd be attending the Speedway too if I could.

My bike is not on the road yet, (time and money...sigh...thou gh it's a hop, step and registration away from it,) so if you did decide to come down you would be going to events on your own (while I drive a taxi around or sleep) I'm sure you would enjoy it though and you are most welcome to make use of my spare room.
New Zealand

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #486 on: November 09, 2013, 09:16:28 PM »
Oh to be rich , the Burt , as JohnR called it sounds like fun . Burt Munro is one of my heroes .
Dusty

The event is attracting a number of overseas attendees these days Dusty
New Zealand

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #487 on: November 09, 2013, 10:17:53 PM »
87 , wow , I am impressed . So , coming up on 3 PM there , is the garage tidied up ?  ;D
Dusty

Dusty, you have no idea how this guy goes. Bit over three years ago we moved down here, and when I first met him I thought he was about 70! :o He and his wife are about to head off for a week or three in their motor home. Doesn't know where to. Basically the direction that will give him an initial tail wind. ;D

The garage......well, there is a bit to go but it is looking way better, especially with the lathe in place. ;-T Doing the garden shed at the same time.

I hear the All Blacks beat the French so will enjoy seeing the recording of it. The day is going well.

John, will have to flag it this year as we are booked to go to Waiheke Island to spend a week with our daughter and her family; coming over from Singapore to say hi to the kiwi family. However, next year when I will be retired but still hopefully employed I could well be in to that. This time of year is quiet on my side of work, and the boss has indicated that flexibility will be no problem. Incidentally, the lathe is 560 kilos....
03 Breva

Online Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #488 on: November 09, 2013, 11:34:41 PM »
Thought I had a lead on a Sportster 1200R.  Cheap. I texted the guy, and he eventually told me he was waiting for the lean release....I told him to get ahold of me when he does...... ::) Found out my sidecar is too wide for my trailer, and it would be more work than worth it to expand the trailer to fit. Might start looking for an enclosed trailer to make into a po' boys's toy hauler. Talked to an guy who  used to ride with  the Okie Guzzi gang back in the day. 77 years old. He's waiting for his back surgery to heal so he can resume driving his sidecar all over NorCal. I love shit like that.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #489 on: November 10, 2013, 10:37:44 AM »
Good, so far.

I prefer to pretend that winter isn't coming and try to get in as many last minute rides as possible.

I left home at 7.30 this morning and rode back roads until just before 11.  Chilly (about 3 or 4C), windy, overcast and a bit damp, but definitely worth getting out of bed for.  I find my pleasure increases exponentially with empty roads and a bit of discomfort.  There's probably a name for that condition!

Nick

Narrows Lock Station and Blockhouse (Rideau Canal)

Along Narrows Lock Road

Along Narrows Lock Road

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #490 on: November 10, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »
Good, so far.

I prefer to pretend that winter isn't coming and try to get in as many last minute rides as possible.

I left home at 7.30 this morning and rode back roads until just before 11.  Chilly (about 3 or 4C), windy, overcast and a bit damp, but definitely worth getting out of bed for.  I find my pleasure increases exponentially with empty roads and a bit of discomfort.  There's probably a name for that condition!

Nick

Narrows Lock Station and Blockhouse (Rideau Canal)

I just can't help it.  ANY bike with K70 Dunlops just LOOKS like it's ready for anything and headed for a good time ..... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #491 on: November 10, 2013, 03:39:40 PM »
GREAT! The fall colors are still hanging on in SW Missouri

Maple Park Cemetery, Springfield, Mo.

I was looking for the grave of Dave Tut, he was shot about a mile north on the square by W.F. (Wild Bill) Cody over a pocketwatch lost in a poker game.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 03:44:33 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #492 on: November 10, 2013, 07:28:51 PM »
Really nice. Cut some more firewood, dumped all the horse manure, started a pot of bean soup (after washing my hands of course) and then read the papers on my deck and drinking Torpedo while my dogs sat at my feet.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #493 on: November 12, 2013, 05:03:23 PM »
Great few days working around the house.  Took daughter horseback riding, son hunting, gave wife handgun safety and handling lessons prior to a trip to the range.  Changed oil and rotated tires on the car and truck.  Looking forward to a little Guzzi ride maybe Saturday.

Work is a different story.  Database corruption in WireCAD that I'm straightening out prior to finishing the router and master control systems installation.  Ugh.  All day fixing sources, destinations and cable numbers on one single drawing.  Production starts up again tomorrow and the control rooms need to be wired by noon.  We'll make it, but this is like 3-D chess.  Ugh.

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #494 on: November 12, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »
Similar glitches in the network upgrades I'm doing.  I thought I'd left yesterday with the system running perfectly, but today they call in and say the x-ray equipment and imaging aren't working -- on the two workstations that I didn't replace.  Some ODBC failure.  Someone pulled the 6-inch-thick manual out and I took a look -- darn thing is in technical German, and the only possible english tech support is four time zones in the past.  So I'm trying a complete reload on one workstation to see if I can get at least one operatory back in service before morning.

The good news is that it's raining, so I won't be distracted with night photography.
The bad news is that it's raining, so I won't be distracted with night photography.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #495 on: November 12, 2013, 06:46:58 PM »
It was another good day.  I like those!
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #496 on: November 12, 2013, 09:41:30 PM »
           Oh joy. My centrestand bushes have arrived, from across the water. Can't wait to get started ;D
Oz
04 Cali

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #497 on: November 13, 2013, 03:08:53 AM »
      Pay that one mate ;D
Oz
04 Cali

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #498 on: November 13, 2013, 10:56:14 AM »
Hot. At least hot for this part of the world. Shirt sleeves until about 9pm when a jersey went on. 1st day without thermals for me this summer.
New Zealand

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #499 on: November 14, 2013, 02:58:17 AM »
              Of all the back breaking work, installing the springs on my centre-stand takes the cake. It looked so easy but by mid afternoon I had had enough and decided to give up on the easy way :'( Those springs were just way too stiff so I ground a sharp edge on 3 big, thick, flat washers and with the aid of a bit of oil, forced them between the coils of a spring, using a vice.
               Five minutes later it was all back together ;D
Oz
04 Cali

Andrew Thomas Evans

« Reply #500 on: November 14, 2013, 08:48:44 AM »
Actually got some work done yesterday, sat in the hot-tub for a while, and picked up a last min headshot shoot today for an actor. Then some kind of a bondage/suspension shoot sat (no idea why he even asked me, I don't really do anything like that), and some more stuff planned for next week. Then finally maybe having some time to launch www.guzzigarage.com and www.guzzidoctor.com - got some ideas just haven't had a half day (and motivation) to sit down and do something.  

Should have the clutch parts for my bike ordered soon, and all together in time for some snow - that or I'm ordering about 20ish 11x14 prints to update my portfolio book, haven't done that in a few years.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:53:35 AM by Andrew Thomas Evans »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #501 on: November 15, 2013, 06:15:13 AM »

As with everything else in my life, fixing one thing breaks something else, since inverting the Tarozzis the speedo light doesn't work and the tach is DOA. I've pulled and cleaned all the connections, checked the fuses and relays(which are new). I also have 2 mystery wires inside the idiot light housing.

The Red/Black wire looks like the tacho supply and the black will be a ground
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

lucydad

« Reply #502 on: November 16, 2013, 03:19:14 PM »
Dusty,

Kind of you to ask--took Friday off as it is a gorgeous Texas gulf coast fall weekend.  After a New Mexico green chili omlet and some errands little goose and I fired up and rode out to Mother Ocean otherwise known as Freeport.  It is a nice swan about.  Wife and I saw a great movie last night called The Dallas Buyers Club: highly recommended.  This morning I was up early again, fired the goose again and we swanned up to MPH to see Mike Haven to let him diagnose the mystery rattle that comes and goes.  Mike listened and pondered and whacked a bit with his rubber mallett, rode the bike a bit and concluded:  inside of left muffler, likely a broken and loose internal part like the emissions system.  So, he is ordering a new can, and we will get it fixed.  So, that is good to know.  My theory is it jarred loose when I had the bike drop, and so there you are.  If that is not the cause, I bet Mike figures it out when he puts on the new can.

Work is settling down a bit, but I wonder about the future direction of the new LLC and CEO intent.  My boss continues to drive me batty.  Good news is as of yesterday I am 59.5 years old and can draw without penalty from my 401K. In fact, we are doing a bit to recover some liquidity after a horrendously expensive year. We are now into year seven of private college tuition with about 1.5 years to go.  So, light at the end?

I took the poodles on a long walk and saw the swan family at the lake.  They raised 3 cygnets this year, and they are magnificent.

Little goose will get ridden to church tomorrow.  Steak and cab tonight.

I would say life is pretty damn good and I am very grateful.  Oh and daughters home for Thanksgiving--always fun, loud, expensive but a very good thing for the Daddy to see his own cygnets.

Griso--who knows next spring--looked one over in Mike's garage this morning at MPH--pretty hefty clutch pull that I don't like.

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #503 on: November 29, 2013, 06:32:58 PM »

50miles.53deg.Brill iant sunshine...
'nuff said...This kid is blessed!
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #504 on: November 29, 2013, 07:10:34 PM »
My day was not quite as pleasant as Tazio's (but only from a motorcycling perspective.)  It was more than pleasant. Spent yesterday with my younger son, his wife, two grand daughters, and other assorted family at a very nice feast. Visited more family and stayed over at my older cousin's home last night.  Breakfast with the son and family this morning, and a really nice drive back home from Charleston WV to Hudson OH.  Arrived home at 3pm to find some pieces and parts in the mailbox I needed to complete my heated grip installation (I'm really turning this into a project!)

I certainly hope all of you folks on the WG forum had a good couple of days, whether you live where Thanksgiving is celebrated or not.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 07:15:16 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #505 on: December 04, 2013, 06:00:55 PM »
Looks Great SM. What make is it? Where did you get it?
New Zealand

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #506 on: December 05, 2013, 02:06:02 AM »
Yesterday I turned 65, which out here is the official retirement age. Got my hearing aids ::) fitted; these have been subsidised close to 80% by our Gummint. Had my mate and his wife, along with the son around for tea (I cooked as I enjoy cooking for my own special occasions) and had a really fun time. Today I received my SuperGold Card, which qualifies me for free offpeak travel on the local busses amongst other things. Also had the appointment with the surgeon who passed my hip as a success. Legs are still pain free during the day. First 1.1/2 hours are still a bit rugged but after 1/2 hour of stretches, warmups, weights and exercises it all comes right. The firm gave me a birthday card with $200 in it, so there is the tooling for my lathe. Friday tomorrow. ;D ;-T

After 2.1/2 years of hell life is looking pretty good right now. ;-T
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 11:46:30 AM by Muzz »
03 Breva

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #507 on: December 05, 2013, 04:48:02 AM »
             Onward and Upward Muzz ;D
Oz
04 Cali

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #508 on: December 05, 2013, 09:11:01 PM »
             Onward and Upward Muzz ;D

My sentiments exactly
New Zealand

lucydad

« Reply #509 on: December 05, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »
Dusty,

A busy work week...overall the new gig is a bit better, but lacks "culture-leadership".  Oh well.

Youngest daughter told me tonight she just broke up with long term boyfriend.  He was a good guy, and that is life at almost 21.

We have my father in law here:  he has dementia/Alzheimers and stroke issues so he is a challenge for care.  Three weeks is a long time for him, but we do our best to keep him comfortable.

Taking tomorrow off, but the weather is a cold/rainy/windy washout.  I am thinking about bubbling a pot of my world famous spaghetti tomorrow and drinking too much good but cheap red wine.  A Cycle World visit may result in buying a Freeze-out under wear set.

;-T

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here