Author Topic: How was your day  (Read 505785 times)

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Re: How was your' day
« Reply #840 on: November 06, 2014, 11:50:35 AM »
Very cool. We periodically contract with folks like you to abuse our computer equipment in varying manners to make the people that buy it happy - they tend to use airplanes, boats, submarines and the like, with all the heat, cold, vibration and water you would expect.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #841 on: December 10, 2014, 06:43:13 PM »
Excellent today. Thanks for asking, Dusty. I'd alluded to Dorcia having some medical problems. Brought her home from the hospital today after a double mastectomy (breast cancer) and she is doing *much* better than I expected.  ;-T Pain free, (so far) in good spirits, eating, smiling. Won't really know anything until the pathology report, but we're cautiously optimistic.
To those that have sent us PMs.. thanks!
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #842 on: December 10, 2014, 07:10:54 PM »
What we have to look forward to next winter when we move from SoCal to the farm in NY.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #843 on: December 10, 2014, 10:38:50 PM »
           That is a timely question if nothing else ;D
           Just got home from a shakedown trip to west of Brisbane and back. Left at 9 am. Got back at 1 pm. Gave my back a good test. Doing the same trip last Thursday saw me turn back well before halfway with lower back pain. Physio on Friday, fixed me up. Very warm and muggy too and my ancient CamelBack helped get me through it.
            Confident of being fit enough for an overnighter down the Lyons Road to Kyogle now. Just need a couple of fine days during the week :drool 
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #843 on: December 10, 2014, 10:38:50 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #844 on: December 10, 2014, 11:02:02 PM »
Chuckie and Bill in OZ , thanks for the updates guys . Kent , a friend here has a ranch just outside of Tehachapi , and I know it can get chilly there , but are you sure about this move back to snow country ? :D Brrrrrrrrr.

Dusty

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #845 on: December 11, 2014, 12:19:55 AM »
We are sure.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

lucydad

« Reply #846 on: December 11, 2014, 06:56:41 AM »
Dusty,

My body is healing, I am feeling pretty energetic, and a three day weekend is coming.  I have five work days left in 2014 and sometime Christmas Little Goose will get fired up and ridden again.  All good stuff and this Christmas I seem to be into the happy side more than the bah humbug, at least so far. 

Alzheimer's clinic is open:   event of last evening.... Larry is my father in law here thru Christmas...13 days to go...Larry is into sleeping 18 hours at a time, and skipping medications and meals...and we are not around enough to provide the needed care....

Dinner preparation time Larry gets up and wants to “talk” with my wife:  the game of charades with no nouns.  He was urgently trying to ask or tell her something and I watched and listened from the living room.  They looped and looped again.  Larry got agitated and started doing his toddler dance:  flinging his body into a circle away from wifey and flapping his good left arm, and saying “I’m sorry, I’m sorry” over and over and increasing anger.  Wife did her best, and could never understand – but it was something like two women were supposed to pick him up today to go somewhere?   While in San Antonio BIL has one of his wife’s daughter’s take him to physical therapy and on errands to get him out of the house.   Could be Larry lost track where he was, and such? 

My take:   the absolute loss of Larry’s ability to use nouns, all we get are “this, and that, and there, and them, and her and him”  has reached the point where even basic communication is dwindled to a guessing game.   When he has his big health event:   something really hurting, or a fall, or whatever—trying to analyze the situation will be very tough.  The more stressed he gets, the more physical outburst, hence the toddler dance.   I watched him and he appeared to want to hit my wife, or something but danced into a spin instead.   Last summer in the famous “wasp in the kitchen” incident he definitely wanted to hit me, but I kept the kitchen table between him and I, as I am much faster.   If I ever see Larry start physical attacks:  we are DONE with having him.  Hopefully I can talk to wifey about the event tonight.

oldbike54

« Reply #847 on: December 25, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
So , was Santa/Kris/Father C good to you guys and gals ? Did you get a smile and a hug for giving a thoughtful gift ? Or , did the day suck ? ;D

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #848 on: December 25, 2014, 08:24:40 PM »
So , was Santa/Kris/Father C good to you guys and gals ? Did you get a smile and a hug for giving a thoughtful gift ? Or , did the day suck ? ;D

Dusty

With family all day long yesterday and today.   We're trying to "ease off" of gifts ... what really means something is taking the time to be together.

Too much food, but boy was it good.   

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #849 on: December 25, 2014, 08:32:50 PM »
I got to spend a couple of days with my daughter and son-in-law. We fixed meals worthy of a sonnet and had some really good conversation. For presents, I got a set of really good kitchen knives, some other neat stuff and a (used) Macbook Pro 13. Oh boy; I am Happy!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #850 on: December 25, 2014, 08:43:43 PM »
With family all day long yesterday and today.   We're trying to "ease off" of gifts ... what really means something is taking the time to be together.

Too much food, but boy was it good.   

Lannis

Lannis,  you are aware that any and all food consumed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and all full family gathering have no calories, fat, or other negatives right?? ;)  Hence, there is no such thing as "too much food."  ;-T :drool :food
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

lucydad

« Reply #851 on: December 28, 2014, 05:20:54 PM »
Dusty,

Well nice of you to ask.  Just got back from the gym, first time in about six weeks due to surgery recovery.  I was careful to test and be slow on the stretching routine:  no problems.  Then I went to the weight machines, same caution:  test, low weights, pay attention to my body reaction.  Glad to say:  no problems other than my muscles saying:  hey buddy it has been a while.  The result is strength maintenance and flexibility, particularly for my upper body.  The hot hubble-bubble tubby was wonderful, and steam room.

The workout helps the post Christmas Houston grey wet cold windy grimey DREARY foggy blues.  Many days of overcast get to me quickly.  I hope to ride the V7R tomorrow, it is supposed to clear off, but be pretty chilly, but the Aerostich leathers will do their job.  Hope the bike starts ok after 5 weeks sitting, I bet it does. Even a short ride would boost morale a lot.

House is full of college students and that is fun.  The Christmas week was splendid although being out of town for two days including Christmas eve was disappointing:  first time I have missed a church candle lighting service in maybe 25 years.  Oh well I will go to a New Years eve "burning" service where one is invited to write down what they want to let go, and put it into the fire.  Need some of that as 2014 deserves to be flushed in many ways.

Had a nice lunch with my buddy Ed.  He has been thru two family deaths since September:  younger brother from smoking/alcoholism, and then 96 year old mom shortly after from a stroke and general body giving up.  However Ed has a new girlfriend (really like her), and his work is going very well and I admire his resilience, he is perhaps my best local Houston friend.  We agreed to a boys steak dinner out soon, and on a nice weekend day:  an Italian motorcycle ride fest.

My wife gets testy with me home I think, plus she has post-daddy/Alzheimer's clinic stress.  So she picks at me and corrects me and generally is difficult.  My reaction is non--as often it is best to keep the words inside.  I have another week off and I will continue to fix/clean/organize/upgrade and generally pull out those "roundtoits" and get them done.  A big one is a new revised will, medical directives, and such:  it has been too long and with lots of changes very important. So I will start that process Monday.  Car maintenance has priority and we have my wife's car and my blue bavarian beast done, and the youngest college student's red Mazda 3 up for its checkup before she drives back to Savannah early January.  It feels good to catch up on some of the entropy.

2015 in the oil patch will be a classic fear and loathing year due to oil prices crashing.  We will see what happens--one of my goals is to keep my poise with the whole shebang especially the snarky, uncommunicative, and wishy-washy and incompetent Mr. Boss and do-nothing Mr. Geologist.  Retirement beckons, but I want to pull the trigger by my own volition and timing, but you never know if they have layoffs the decision could come landing on my roof anyway.  A key for next year for me:  do not anticipate the situation/changes/lives of my mother, my wife's dad and my brother.  All three are very fragile and clinging to any quality of life and have major physical and or emotional issues.  My brother is retiring from being  college professor next May, so I hope the reduced stress will help him out. 

I need to play with some of my new Christmas toys. 

Bottom line:  I am grateful, and both poodles are locked onto me begging for chewey treats, the fire is burning natural gas and I am living in America.  Can't beat that. Oh, it would be good if the Denver Broncos at least advanced to the AFC title game, but I won't be greedy.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #852 on: December 29, 2014, 06:22:24 PM »
Well, it sucked, Dusty. Spent a good part of the day and yesterday at the funeral home sending off Marlene.. a card carrying character. Only 52. Had a pretty non invasive operation on her knee, and died Christmas day. She was another aviator friend, so if you would.. face the west, raise a glass, and wish her a good trip, too.  :'(
Thanks for that. The world needs more characters...

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #853 on: December 29, 2014, 06:35:02 PM »

Hmmm.  Winter blues seem to prevail.  Let's try this:

Yesterday was a brilliantly bright winter day -- very clear skies and sub-freezing.  A prefect Sitka Sunday.  I stitched a couple hundred rivets into the trike and did 'final answer' on the rear fender mounts while listening to my Seahawks defense have their way with the opposition.  Later, the northern lights came out -- all very satisfying.  I now have functional storage spaces in the trike body, complete with lids, trays, and sides.  I have forward fender brackets and skinning the tailgate to go, and then the rear body is ready for paint.  The Seahawks have the division title and first week playoff 'bye'.  That's progress for all my concerns.

oldbike54

« Reply #854 on: December 29, 2014, 07:24:42 PM »
Well, it sucked, Dusty. Spent a good part of the day and yesterday at the funeral home sending off Marlene.. a card carrying character. Only 52. Had a pretty non invasive operation on her knee, and died Christmas day. She was another aviator friend, so if you would.. face the west, raise a glass, and wish her a good trip, too.  :'(
Thanks for that. The world needs more characters...

Yes it does , and yes we will . Sorry for your loss Chuck  :(

Dusty

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #855 on: December 29, 2014, 08:36:16 PM »
Well that's so sad - I just toasted to your friend with a nice porter. I'm real sorry to hear that.

I made it through a day with my ISO 9001:2008 auditor. I told him " I both welcome and dread your visits, and I count you among my valued resources". He told me I made his day. I can clean my whiteboard, my desk, and start the next chapter.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #856 on: December 29, 2014, 10:52:11 PM »
Well that's so sad - I just toasted to your friend with a nice porter. I'm real sorry to hear that.

I made it through a day with my ISO 9001:2008 auditor. I told him " I both welcome and dread your visits, and I count you among my valued resources". He told me I made his day. I can clean my whiteboard, my desk, and start the next chapter.

One of the reasons my career was at least as successful as it was (whatever that means) is that I always let the QA and the Standards auditors and assessors know that I understood and appreciated what they were doing, and didn't treat them like a pain in the butt, even though they could be a pain in the butt sometimes.    I realized early on that "Arguing with a QA Auditor is like wrestling with a pig in the mud - it doesn't get you anywhere, you get filthy, and after a while you realize that the pig likes it!"

I sure did appreciate getting findings from my internal auditors and fixing them, rather than waiting for the DOE, DCMA, or NRC assessors to catch them ... that can be public and painful ....

Lannis

oldbike54

« Reply #857 on: February 09, 2015, 10:08:24 PM »
Saddened by the passing of Dean Smith . A great gentleman and coach .

Dusty

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #858 on: February 14, 2015, 09:35:30 AM »
Yesterday was pretty great. Cloudless and windless. Spent the morning skiing with some old friends from the Bay Area, piling up 16,000 vertical feet before lunch at Beaver Creek. Then inhabited the press corral for the second run of the men's GS at the Alpine World Championships -- to watch Ted Ligety win his third consecutive GS world championship by half a second over the World Cup leader, Marcel Hirscher.

Today is the women's slalom. Another perfect-weather day and home-town girl Mikaela Shiffrin should win it. Hooray for our team!
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

oldbike54

« Reply #859 on: February 14, 2015, 09:42:36 AM »
 Never skied , but love ski racing . Thanks Seth  ;-T

Dusty

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #860 on: February 14, 2015, 12:39:20 PM »
After the first run Mikaela leads by .4. It's her day! Ready to repeat as world slalom champion!
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #861 on: February 15, 2015, 02:42:47 PM »
Got the loop tank finished except for the lid.  Looking for a hinge.  Fotoguzzi came through with a seat latch, so I used my existing one to make the lid latch.  This concludes the fuse box/glove box portion of the trike build.  I rearranged my space last night, moving the aluminum rear section to the back and bringing the steel chassis section to the fore.  Today we get the chassis on blocks and start the disassembly for final tweaking of the steel fabrication and prep to paint.

Progress is good.  However, I'm being evicted from the shop at the end of the month regardless of where I am on the project.  That part isn't much fun.

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #862 on: February 15, 2015, 03:40:49 PM »
Being evicted :o
That's bad news. Hope you can find something else without tooo much trouble ;-T
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #863 on: February 15, 2015, 05:15:33 PM »
I'm very close now.  It's possible to have it enough together to drive home, provided the painter gets to work in time.  The rest of it -- wiring, hydraulics, fuel, and detail work -- can be done on the back porch, if I can fit it in there. 

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #864 on: February 15, 2015, 05:43:48 PM »
Fixed the first thing on the Skorpion project, a fuel cap that wouldn't open. It was easier than the typical Guzzi stuck cap. No die grinder required.. ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #865 on: February 15, 2015, 05:45:01 PM »
It was a fine day today for me. Wife and I are visiting friends from Canada who are vacationing in La Quinta (near Palm Springs) and we had a really nice round of golf this morning at a very challenging course followed by time in the pool and jacuzzi. Life is good.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #866 on: February 15, 2015, 06:41:04 PM »
Life is good.

Yessir!  ;-T

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline gsf12man

• Gosling
« Reply #867 on: February 15, 2015, 08:12:41 PM »
520 or so miles so far to deliver a new-to-her Ford Explorer to my sister in Michigan to replace its ancient rustbucket twin. In Rhinelander, Wisconsin and somehow the Spotted Cows are interfering with my typing; 300 miles to go tomorrow and I'll shut up now!

Blowing snow and snow-covered highways are bad; life is good. Life with a Moto Guzzi will be better. C'mon, spring!

Tom

Tom K.

Suzuki V-Strom DL650A

lucydad

« Reply #868 on: February 21, 2015, 08:28:31 PM »
Well Dusty, kind of you to ask as always

Contemplative as I feel big changes coming in my life.  FlubDub Energy, as I mentioned, had a BOD meeting last Thursday.  I feel, conjecture, otherwise guess that significant changes are coming.  Maybe we will get some communication this coming week?  The oil industry is crashing due to oil prices driven by over supply and not enough demand.  Fifty buck oil means nothing we do in exploration in the Gulf of Mexico is economic, and I mean nothing.  Given an average 15% success rate for the past decade by industry, and these prices I see my job as futile.  Others must also see that:  gone from improbable to impossible.  Since I took this gig about 4 years ago the company has drilled zero operated exploration wells.  Frankly, I am giving up.  Despite superb technical skills I just see the job more and more as a dead end.  Throw in almost zero team format between Mr. Boss and my so called geologist, and a CEO that is nothing but a deal maker:  come on, let's get this over and done with.  So, I am hoping the retirement decision is made for me soon.

Talked with my nearly 94 year old mom and my brother today.  Wow, both are in bad shape:  mom looping her "where is my stuff" grief over losing her house, and household and independence just over a year ago.  My brother is in drug experiment mode by his psychiatrist for depression and anxiety:  no progress in over 2 years.  I have increasingly detached from my mom and brother:  but it still hurts to see both of them suffering.

Life is short is the message.  I am grateful for health, family wife, daughters, poodles, motorcycles, bicycles, turtles, and ducks and blooming iris and on. 

Why is my life so blessed and others suffer?  Had two dads of close friends in Durango, CO pass in the past week.  Another reminder:  life is finite, life it to the fullest. 

Guess that is enough.  I just feel the big winds of life blowing right now.  Retirement is a big bridge for me after non-stop work since 21 in the oil bidness, and growing up working in my Dad's drugstore since age 12.  Lots of decades working.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #869 on: February 21, 2015, 08:42:36 PM »
Well Dusty, kind of you to ask as always

Contemplative as I feel big changes coming in my life.  ............

Guess that is enough.  I just feel the big winds of life blowing right now.  Retirement is a big bridge for me after non-stop work since 21 in the oil bidness, and growing up working in my Dad's drugstore since age 12.  Lots of decades working.

Started working for a paycheck when I was 15, spent 8 years in school, worked 35 years in the energy business, things started going a bit pear-shaped last year in the energy market (Marcellus shale gas, etc) ....

... and I reached escape velocity, leapt out the employment hatch and pulled the ripcord 8 weeks ago today.

It's exactly what you should do.    Your life is begging for it.    Time to get your mind and energy on the important things.   You can make it on your retirement income and your savings, trust me ... !   Not just me, but everyone I know who's retired ... !

Lannis

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here