Author Topic: How was your day  (Read 505870 times)

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
Re: How was your' day
« Reply #1020 on: July 17, 2015, 12:20:27 PM »

Sunday at Shed Restaurant Edom, Texas.  Three White 2013 V7 Stones.  Two Daves and a Sweede.

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

oldbike54

« Reply #1021 on: July 17, 2015, 12:29:18 PM »

Sunday at Shed Restaurant Edom, Texas.  Three White 2013 V7 Stones.  Two Daves and a Sweede.

Dave
Galveston

Happy to say I know the two fine gentleman on the ends , just need the middle guy for the trifecta  :laugh: Glad you guys got out  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #1022 on: July 17, 2015, 01:05:19 PM »
Nuovo Falcone: Don't you just love it when you've had the timing side off, fiddling with shift springs, selectors and such, then you put it all back together.

Turn the key, give it a half-hearted kick, and it starts first kick! :thumb:

I had been running with the ignition retarded a tad. After advancing it slightly, it runs like a rocket  :shocked: - good for a steady 55-60 mph (indicated), even into a headwind.  I even have four gears most of the time  :grin:

Simple, robust engineering. It's hard to beat when you have six thumbs like me.

Nick

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #1023 on: July 19, 2015, 03:47:06 PM »
Good on you, Nick. I've just had the opposite experience.

Had the old Triumph running beautifully. Did an 80-mile loop for Father's Day, with the kid riding pillion, and it didn't skip a beat. Next day it wouldn't start -- just backfired through the carb. Everything looked normal: timing, fat spark, valve clearance, cold compression, fueling, clean plugs etc. This is extremely frustrating after all the experimenting I did with the jetting to get it running right.

On the theory that most fuel problems are really ignition problems, I replaced the points with a Boyer ignition and new 6v coils in series -- with unchanged result: kicking it through just yields sharp little bangs out the carb. Having exhausted my own wits, I'll truck it down to The Bonneville Shop and ask Roger to wave his wand over it. Once it's running, I think I'll sell it.

I've decided to consolidate on a single, all-purpose and reliable bike, light enough to ride on the back of the van. I'll be in the market for a V7 Stone. The future of the T is now in doubt -- it has low miles on the rebuild, including the Gilardoni kit, so maybe I'll part it out.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #1023 on: July 19, 2015, 03:47:06 PM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1024 on: July 19, 2015, 04:38:58 PM »
Good on you, Nick. I've just had the opposite experience.

Had the old Triumph running beautifully. Did an 80-mile loop for Father's Day, with the kid riding pillion, and it didn't skip a beat. Next day it wouldn't start -- just backfired through the carb. Everything looked normal: timing, fat spark, valve clearance, cold compression, fueling, clean plugs etc. This is extremely frustrating after all the experimenting I did with the jetting to get it running right.

On the theory that most fuel problems are really ignition problems, I replaced the points with a Boyer ignition and new 6v coils in series -- with unchanged result: kicking it through just yields sharp little bangs out the carb. Having exhausted my own wits, I'll truck it down to The Bonneville Shop and ask Roger to wave his wand over it. Once it's running, I think I'll sell it.

I've decided to consolidate on a single, all-purpose and reliable bike, light enough to ride on the back of the van. I'll be in the market for a V7 Stone. The future of the T is now in doubt -- it has low miles on the rebuild, including the Gilardoni kit, so maybe I'll part it out.

Sounds like a good consolidation plan, and the V7 Stone won't overload your 600-pound bike carrier.

I'd be interested in knowing what's wrong with the Triumph.   Your problem sounds like slipped timing, but you say you replaced the whole ignition and no change, so it's unlikely that you set the Boyer to the same wrong timing as the points.

Even if a main jet had fallen out, the bike should still start on the priming fuel - it doesn't even know it HAS a main jet until the throttle is open wide ...

Good Luck!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1025 on: July 19, 2015, 06:14:16 PM »

Dave
Galveston

That's a handsome group of gees'ers  :grin:

Made it out before 7AM today to have a coffee & enjoy a few back roads before it got too blazing steamy.  We're in our 2-3 weeks of summer right now.

Then my 2-channel amplifier in the living went tits-up.  I'm going to cook a steak, have a beer, and order a new amp. 
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1026 on: July 19, 2015, 06:42:01 PM »
Good day today.  Rode the Quota out to the gliderport.  Off tow at 2000 ft, 4 to 6 knot thermals all over the place topping out at 4500 ft.

B.S with the other pilots, trade lies, ride home. 

Yep, a good day.

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1027 on: July 20, 2015, 08:58:56 AM »
Happy to say I know the two fine gentleman on the ends , just need the middle guy for the trifecta  :laugh: Glad you guys got out  :thumb:

Dusty

Dave Bell in middle newest member of Guzzi Riders in TEXAS  (GRIT).
Invited him to Homer and Talihina. 

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1028 on: July 20, 2015, 09:02:39 AM »
That's a handsome group of gees'ers  :grin:

Made it out before 7AM today to have a coffee & enjoy a few back roads before it got too blazing steamy.  We're in our 2-3 weeks of summer right now.

Then my 2-channel amplifier in the living went tits-up.  I'm going to cook a steak, have a beer, and order a new amp.

Geesers (Guzzi Riders) or Geesers (Old Guys) I'm proud to represent either.

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1029 on: July 20, 2015, 09:13:05 AM »
Quote from Cloudbase:
Good day today.  Rode the Quota out to the gliderport.  Off tow at 2000 ft, 4 to 6 knot thermals all over the place topping out at 4500 ft.

B.S with the other pilots, trade lies, ride home. 

Yep, a good day.

Always a good day when you can ride and fly the same day.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1030 on: July 20, 2015, 12:05:47 PM »
Actually Lannis , if the main jet has dropped out , or is even really loose , they won't start . Don't ask me how I know  :embarassed:

Dusty

Actually, I've had a couple of them start with no main jet screwed in.   When it's just sucking in the vapor from the "tickled" primer fuel lying in the manifold, it doesn't care what else is down below.   it'll go "vvvRRROOooomm" and shut right off ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #1031 on: July 20, 2015, 03:45:14 PM »
Dropped the float bowl again. All the jets are correctly seated and tight. Float is properly adjusted. Giving up for now and will turn it over to someone who knows what he's doing.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

lucydad

« Reply #1032 on: July 20, 2015, 06:33:24 PM »
Dusty,

My good friend Dave lost his job today at Stoney Energy.  Great engineer and overall brilliant guy.
This latest oil crash is deep and wide.  Lots of carnage in Houston and elsewhere.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #1033 on: July 20, 2015, 08:28:01 PM »
Got the air ride plumbed into the trike yesterday.  The one-way valve that keeps the air from backing up into the compressor is leaking.  Otherwise the system is tight.  Today I'm wiring in the pressure control and override.  That's been fun -- looks like I forgot to plumb in a wire.  I hate it when that happens.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #1034 on: July 24, 2015, 06:26:41 PM »
95F in Longmont today so we headed for cooler elevations. Rode over Trail Ridge Road (12,181 feet) to Grand Lake for lunch, then back.

Still fussing around with the jetting but the T pulled strong to the top and burbled happily downhill. We're close to having her back to full strength.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #1035 on: July 24, 2015, 07:11:48 PM »
A guy comes into the body shop today while I'm tinkering.  "What's the range on that thing?"
"I dunno -- haven't gotten much gas through it yet."
     "What's the capacity"
"40 liters"
     "Not the bags, the tank."
"40 liters"
    "Do you know how big a liter is?"
"Why yes, I do."
    "Well, if you're gonna be THAT way about it . . . "
 :rolleyes:

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #1036 on: July 25, 2015, 04:21:19 PM »
Some folks will stubbornly cling to their stupidity no matter what!  Heaven forbid that they actually learn something more complicated than how to order a Big Mac!  Let me see...a liter, I wonder how many gallons go into a liter!  Doh!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 04:22:12 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #1037 on: July 25, 2015, 09:47:03 PM »
Nice day working on older stuff, a V65C. Turned to shit, someone who owned it or worked on it put flywheel on wrong. Made my own TDC marks & timed it off of it. Nice T light w/retard dial on it, set it @ 7* and set the Dyna S.
Must have belonged to a cheap ass cause it has radiator hose for intake rubbers.
All in all still felt good fixing one w/carbs and steel fenders.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

lucydad

« Reply #1038 on: July 28, 2015, 09:12:39 PM »
Dusty,

Kind of you to ask, thanks.  Well, pretty good work day, plowing ahead on a project.  Hot as hell though.  Get home, Ms. LD is upstairs.  That happens, then as I am relaxing with poodle pack on floor, she comes down.  She spews for 15 minutes:  leak in AC drain upstairs, damaged sheetrock, still dripping, need to move furniture, a mess.  On top:  tree surgeon said old maple has to go (good).  We got two bids on pressure washing patio and driveway, $400 difference...really?  And on.  So we cleaned up, turned AC off (and feels like heat/humidity is 109F.  AC guy can't come until tomorrow morning.  Same with clean up dryer/dehumidifier crew.  Ms. LD went up into attic to mess with leak, and determined that AC maintenance guy screwed up drain pan, and also the drain line clogged yet again (wasps and or just muck).

Finally she had a shower, we went to get something to eat.  Came back a few minutes ago:  part of ceiling sheetrock collapsed with the snaked insulation.  Said to hell with it and took poodles on walk, now finally sitting down for first time since 5 AM.  It will be a hot night here.
Went thru similar leak with water heater a couple years back.  Gotta love how they build houses in the Houston area.

Ok, the good news.  Youngest daughter talking tomorrow morning with CBS Sports in Manhattan about a freelance paid position.  Motion media graphics, for NFL.  She applied and they like her, and usually these jobs morph into full time with benefits if everyone happy.  And the company she is interning with now is talking to her Thursday morning about same gig:  freelance paid.  She told them she needs tomorrow morning off for CBS interview.  She likes her current job a lot with a company called The Science Project (advanced media advertising high end retail). 

So, my friend Dusty, I do believe my youngest will be off the payroll this summer.  And that is liberating as hell for me. 

Work continues thru the oil crash.  I still think the company will "rightsize" late this year or early next.  I am ready to retire any time though.  All the plans made, all I need to do is throw two switches.

New house build is to the surveyed lot and about to set forms for foundation.  Lost the 4 car garage, they bait and switched us and said last Friday they can't do a 4 car in this particular subdivision.  Sucks all the way around and I am working on some sort of negotiation. Probably hopeless dealing with the huge corporate builder.  Their communication sucks.

No rides last weekend, but I have Friday off.  Saturday morning I am doing a breakfast ride meet with my buddy Mitch.  Wanted to do an evening ride this week, but so far it has not happened. 

Can't wait for fall:  that is about 10 weeks away.  Damn hot July, no rain at all. 

Oh and we had an Alzheimer's care family conference in San Antonio last weekend.  Grandpa Larry is swanning down and away fast.  So we are talking about the what's next game.  I see him in full time care by end of the year, maybe sooner.  But that takes some financial resources, and contributions by all 3 kids, including us.  Reminds me to carpe diem. 

lucydad

« Reply #1039 on: August 12, 2015, 08:59:09 PM »
Dusty,

Crap day at work with company and Mr. Boss and Mr. Donut.  More strong prompts to get on with the retirement.  Flipped a couple more small switches in that direction.  I think God is telling me:  it is time.  I had a ten month exit plan.  That is looking more like ten weeks now.

Company analog:  diagnosed with stage III cancer last fall with first oil price crunch, now realization that it has spread, not going away and time to start amputations and such.  The company is going into its death throes in my opinion.  And I don't want to participate any longer.

Apologies to those with the big C, no offense intended.

Think I will go see the Audace and Eldo at MPH on Friday morning and take a sit, maybe a ride for the hell of it.

Took a fast evening bicycle ride to help my emotions calm down.  This job is not worth the stress.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #1040 on: August 12, 2015, 09:13:45 PM »
The company is going into its death throes in my opinion.  And I don't want to participate any longer.

Ten weeks is a good timescale. Make a clean break. I busted my butt for 18 months to save an organization from itself. The day I handed it off, alive if limping, to my young successor was the start of my own recovery. Within a week I was healthier and happier than I'd been in decades.

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #1041 on: August 15, 2015, 01:32:54 PM »
The day started off so promising.  A nice early ride this morning to go get a delicious bacon egg and cheese, followed by plans to take a quick flight down to Maryland to see Phish tonight (my wife had won tickets a while back from a charity auction).  Sadly, not to be. The FAA shut down all air traffic in and out of BWI.  I heard rumors of radar outages, but whatever the cause was, we weren't going to make it down in time for the show. After 5 hours spent at PVD, we're back home.

On the bright side, we confirmed that someone else will get to use our tickets, and I was able to cancel the car and hotel reservations without being charged.  On the brighter side, I'll have time for another morning ride tomorrow.  It could be worse.   :bike-037:
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1042 on: August 15, 2015, 02:24:03 PM »
Early start to began reorganization of driveway, porte coche and carport/pergola.  Moved many of the potted plants back to their proper places. Everything displaced due to exterior paint job. Ham-fisted paint crew finally disbanded.  I'll handle the detail work on the porches and some light carpentry work. Mowed the lawn, swept everything up, then washed the wife's car.  Wife finally summoned the courage to drive down the long driveway and park under the carport.  Looking forward to watching her back out later.
In the mist of the cleanup, found the sick feral cat (Big Blanco) and clothed in long pants, armored jacket and riding gloves was able to force him into a carrier to take him to the vet.  Will probably still lose him, but at least he'll be put down humanely.  Wife is a lover of all creatures great and small.  Thankfully that includes me. 
Presently sitting on the front porch smoking an Estaban Carreras "Chuapa Cabra" cigar and watching the thunder heads build to deliver some much needed rain.  Going to clean up, take a disco nap, then head downtown for some dinner and to attend a production of "Urine Town" at local playhouse.
Life is good.
Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Penderic

« Reply #1043 on: August 15, 2015, 02:25:40 PM »

Went to visit a friend and family for a few days and he caught something just before I left. I caught it immediately and it became a sniffing contest for 3 days.  Oh well. Had lotsa fun anyways and the bike liked the super slab for a high speed run.

Time for new tires!

Front one on B.O. boo!

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1044 on: August 15, 2015, 06:16:08 PM »
Memorable, Dusty.. memorable. That's not always good,  :smiley: but it is what it is.
Flew Mouser

to an airport about 20 minutes away for a Young Eagles day. Our local Eaa chapter takes kids for rides for free twice a year. We (collectively) flew 93 mostly first timers.  :thumb: :smiley:
Then, flew to a friend's private strip for his 60th birthday/retirement celebration.. chased the cows off his runway,  :evil: :smiley: had a good time.
Then blasted off for home. Decided to skirt a control zone.. I just didn't want to turn on the radio.. when all of a sudden the engine got a lot louder. Hmmm. Checked to make sure the oil pressure/temp/cylinder temp was normal. Yep. turned off the noise cancelling headset to make sure the battery hadn't died. No, it's still working. During this time, I'm climbing as fast as possible in case I have to make an emergency landing. Need to get as big a gliding radius as possible. Looked at the chart, and I have 15 minutes to home. Temps/pressures still normal. I'll bet it is a blown exhaust gasket. Ok, there's an airport about half way there.. I'll keep it as an alternate. Temps/pressures still normal. Made it home. Let's check this out.. nope.. wasn't a blown exhaust gasket, it was an eroded exhaust pipe that came apart at the flange. After all, it's only been 33 years since I made it. (!!) It was blowing 1200 F right at the firewall, and this could have ended badly.
I was lucky. Sometimes a little knowledge can get you in trouble.  :smiley: Excuse me while I get another beer.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1045 on: August 15, 2015, 06:38:25 PM »
             That was a bit close, Chuck :shocked:  Make that a Stiff Drink instead :grin: :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Penderic

« Reply #1046 on: August 15, 2015, 06:46:41 PM »
Yikes! That has to be one of my phobias for sure.

Having any kind of an 'out of plane' experience! Oh yeah.

Drinks are on you-know who!

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1047 on: August 15, 2015, 06:54:41 PM »
               What an extraordinarily apt, pictorial library you have, Penderic :thumb: :grin:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1048 on: August 15, 2015, 06:57:14 PM »
             That was a bit close, Chuck :shocked:  Make that a Stiff Drink instead :grin: :thumb:

Bourbon seems to be working ok.. :smiley: thanks for the idea. :wink:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1049 on: August 15, 2015, 07:01:27 PM »
Yikes! That has to be one of my phobias for sure.

Having any kind of an 'out of plane' experience! Oh yeah.

Drinks are on you-know who!

Dorcia and I have been in one of those that was throwing a serious amount of oil, but never thought of getting outside and seeing what was going on..  :cool: :boozing:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here