Author Topic: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !  (Read 1093327 times)

Offline KraZ440

• New Egg
Re: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !
« Reply #2070 on: July 08, 2016, 07:14:55 PM »
Greetings all.

Name's Brian. I live about 30 minutes from Moto International. I've been lurking for a while, ever since I started thinking about upgrading my bike.

I currently have an '82 Kawasaki KZ440. It was my first bike and has treated me well (I've had it for about 8 years). Unfortunately, during the last couple of years, I've been spending more time troubleshooting and replacing old, worn-out parts then actually riding (I don't mind doing my own mechanical work, but there are lots of other activities I'd rather spend time doing).

I'm expecting to get my first Guzzi soon.
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
1982 Kawasaki KZ440

Offline River Rat

• New Egg
« Reply #2071 on: July 09, 2016, 02:55:50 AM »
Considering a 2011-12 Stelvio 8V NTX to replace my recently sold Cagiva Elefant, never owned a Guzzi before but think they may have the character I'm looking for in the replacement but with some mod cons such as ABS to give me that little bit extra up my sleeve for those close encounters

Meet Stella (as named by the PO), I am in love..... :grin:

2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX ABS
2007 Suzuki DR650 SE

BadAce

« Reply #2072 on: July 15, 2016, 09:11:19 PM »
Welcome, Uncle BadAce !!!!
Keep us abreast of future escapades !!
Pretty sure I`m gonna take a ride to see Tom and his Band in Michigan, on the bike Joe and a few others may go there too. Cow Jam Festival in Mendon Michigan the 20th of July, Looks like something going on In Grand Rapids 50 Miles to the north on the 22/23 Guzzi Michigan Rally, I may try that also, as long as I`m in the vicinity.
Luv Ya, NepewTazio!
 P.S. Love the new Goggles too!

Dang, I just read the Michigan Rally was cancelled.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 11:55:58 PM by BadAce »

Bonaventure

« Reply #2073 on: July 16, 2016, 09:49:41 AM »
Hello everyone, my name is Craig.  Live in Evansville Indiana USA.  Work as a supervisor of detectives, career law enforcement for 28 yrs now.  I'm 53, widowed 4 yrs ago but recently got engaged to be married again.  She likes to ride pillion but is adjusting to wearing a helmet since in her previous marriage they rode but never wore any protective gear. I am not full gear full time but always at least boots, gloves, helmet and long pants. 

My current motorcycle is a 2016 Ducati Multistrada "DVT" 1200 S with touring hard bags. Before that I had a 2013 Multistrada 1200 S but I hit a deer with it late last year-- very minor damage to me (full gear w/ armored over-pants at the time), not so minor damage to bike. 

I've registered here to educate myself on Moto Guzzi's, specifically the Norge GT 8V sport tourer.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:51:44 AM by Bonaventure »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #2073 on: July 16, 2016, 09:49:41 AM »

Offline highway

• New Egg
  • 2012 Stelvio NTX
« Reply #2074 on: July 19, 2016, 08:47:33 PM »
I live in northern Colorado and have been bikeless for more than 10 years, last one was a shadow. Just got a 2012 stelvio.  Don't know why I didn't get one sooner.  Looking forward to making it mine and doing some exploring.  I'm a civil engineer and my name is Matt.

robT8

« Reply #2075 on: July 20, 2016, 11:47:29 PM »
Hi All

Bought my Norge new in December last year put 4000 miles on it so far  :grin: last bike was a Triumph Tiger 800.
Looking forward to learning much from the site.

I'm from Birmingham, UK.

Rob

Offline Antiquar

• Hatchling
  • 22 V85TT, 76 850T3, 79 G5
« Reply #2076 on: July 21, 2016, 01:38:31 PM »
Hi All

Bought my Norge new in December last year put 4000 miles on it so far  :grin: last bike was a Triumph Tiger 800.
Looking forward to learning much from the site.

I'm from Birmingham, UK.

Rob

Hi Rob. How do you like the Norge compared to your old Tiger? I've been considering selling my Tiger800XC for a Stelvio or Norge.

Offline DanD

• New Egg
« Reply #2077 on: July 22, 2016, 12:16:46 AM »
Hi, DanD USPS Mechanic and bike nut. Been riding over 40 years now and have been moving more into the off-road scene.

Proud parent of new 2016 Stelvio.

2013 Yamaha WR250
2013 Husqvarna TR650
2016 NTX

"In heaven all the interesting people are missing."

oldbike54

« Reply #2078 on: July 22, 2016, 12:43:19 AM »
Hi, DanD USPS Mechanic and bike nut. Been riding over 40 years now and have been moving more into the off-road scene.

Proud parent of new 2016 Stelvio.

Great pic , Rockies maybe ?

Dusty
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:26:40 AM by oldbike54 »

Offline DanD

• New Egg
« Reply #2079 on: July 22, 2016, 11:17:56 AM »
FSR (Forest Service Road) 123/County Road 4 from US 34 @ Grand Lake, CO to State Highway 125.

The Stelvio handled the loose/rocky switchbacks (2 up) better than any 650+ pound scoot has a right to.  :thumb:
2013 Yamaha WR250
2013 Husqvarna TR650
2016 NTX

"In heaven all the interesting people are missing."

oldbike54

« Reply #2080 on: July 22, 2016, 11:28:11 AM »
FSR (Forest Service Road) 123/County Road 4 from US 34 @ Grand Lake, CO to State Highway 125.

The Stelvio handled the loose/rocky switchbacks (2 up) better than any 650+ pound scoot has a right to.  :thumb:

Thought it looked familiar  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline gstock

• New Egg
« Reply #2081 on: July 25, 2016, 10:45:17 PM »
Hi all,

My name is Grenville and I bought a leftover '14 Stelvio 2 weeks ago. It is my second Goose. I owned a Ballabio before this one. Had to pull over on my way home from the dealership and shoo this turtle off the road. I live in Acton, MA.

oldbike54

« Reply #2082 on: July 25, 2016, 11:08:11 PM »
Hi all,

My name is Grenville and I bought a leftover '14 Stelvio 2 weeks ago. It is my second Goose. I owned a Ballabio before this one. Had to pull over on my way home from the dealership and shoo this turtle off the road. I live in Acton, MA.

We appreciate turtle shooers , welcome  :bike-037:

Dusty

Offline derek533

• Hatchling
« Reply #2083 on: July 26, 2016, 09:19:54 AM »
Hey everyone, Derek from Edmond, Oklahoma and a new (new to me at least) Guzzi owner here.  Previous bikes were in order from first to latest, 98 Suzuki Marauder, 06 Yamaha Fz6, Vulcan 900C, and now the Breva. 

Had a Vulcan 900 that I absolutely loathed after 5 miles of extremely uncomfortable riding and traded that sucker off.  I didn't want to trade it off knowing I would lose some money but I had it on CL for about 4 months with no success and it just sat in my garage barely being ridden due to how uncomfortable it was on my tailbone.    Seems that UJM cruisers are a dime a dozen and nothing is selling right now. 

Anywho, went to our local Euro dealership here in OKC to look at 2 bikes.  A 2006 Breva 1100 with 8400 miles and a 08 FZ1 with 17K both about the same price.  Yes, the FZ1 is a faster bike, but it had no character other than being ridiculously fast and insurance companies seem to know that as well.   

The instant the dealer fired up the Guzzi and I saw the shake, pulled the clutch in and heard the sound of dry clutch rattle, I was hooked.  I don't know what it is, but this bike just has character.  I knew I made the right decision when I pulled into my garage about 25 miles from the dealer with zero pain in my posterior compared to the aching I had when I rode my Vulcan to trade it off to the dealer.  Plus, I got two waves on the way home from cagers who recognized what I was riding.  It's just awesome to have a bike that not everyone else has. 

I look forward to your knowledge as I learn to wrench on this bike.  The only thing really annoying me right now, is the previous owner must have used some sort of chemical on the instrument cluster because there is haze on the acryllic that I can't seem to get rid of. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 09:21:21 AM by derek533 »
06 Breva 1100

Married, 3.5 kids, and very blessed.

oldbike54

« Reply #2084 on: July 26, 2016, 10:35:51 AM »
 Oh hell , another Okie , and from Edmond no less  :laugh: PM sent .

Dusty

Offline Free Rider

• New Egg
« Reply #2085 on: July 27, 2016, 02:24:05 PM »
Hi all - I am 30 years old and just started riding last year.  Bought a Suzuki S40 to learn on the past year, but definitely knew I would end up graduating to something else - the S40 struggled to carry my 6'2" 215lbs, nevermind adding on my girlfriend.

At my old apartment building garage, this dude had his V7 Racer parked near my car/S40, and I would look at his bike lustfully as I walked over to my S40.  He fired it up a few times and I really liked the sound as well.  Did some research, looked at various cafe style bikes, and concluded the V7 II was for me.

Went to a nearby Guzzi dealer and bought the red 2016 V7 II Special.  Love the scrambler seat size, throaty exhaust, comfortable seating position, and the relative simplicity.  I mostly ride to work and back in the DC area, so I don't need a touring cruiser, but I definitely like the V7's huge 5.8 gal gas tank, compared to my S40's meager 2.8gal. 
2016 V7 II Special

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2086 on: July 27, 2016, 09:13:28 PM »

Had a Vulcan 900 that I absolutely loathed after 5 miles of extremely uncomfortable riding and traded that sucker off.  I didn't want to trade it off knowing I would lose some money but I had it on CL for about 4 months with no success and it just sat in my garage barely being ridden due to how uncomfortable it was on my tailbone.    Seems that UJM cruisers are a dime a dozen and nothing is selling right now. 

A friend lent me her Vulcan 900 once, to ride while the Guzzi was down for a clutch.   Even with the tires up to pressure and the suspension adjusted, it was the evilest handling device I'd ever ridden.   

Guzzis had spoiled me!!   Hope you enjoy yours for years to come.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #2087 on: July 28, 2016, 05:15:31 AM »
as well.   

The instant the dealer fired up the Guzzi and I saw the shake, pulled the clutch in and heard the sound of dry clutch rattle, I was hooked.  I don't know what it is, but this bike just has character.
I look forward to your knowledge as I learn to wrench on this bike. 

Oh boy, you've been bitten by the Guzzi bug.

Welcome to the madness. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Free Rider

• New Egg
« Reply #2088 on: July 28, 2016, 09:52:34 AM »

Had considered getting a Vulcan 900 custom, so this info makes me glad that I did not.  I am taller (6' 2") so I thought it might fit better than a typical cruiser.
2016 V7 II Special

Offline derek533

• Hatchling
« Reply #2089 on: July 28, 2016, 05:14:53 PM »
Had considered getting a Vulcan 900 custom, so this info makes me glad that I did not.  I am taller (6' 2") so I thought it might fit better than a typical cruiser.

It's a great, reliable, if not boring cruiser that has plenty of power and is still relatively speaking, fairly good handling for a cruiser.  I'm right at 6'0 so you've got 2" on me, but it was still a torture device.  Now, some of that may have been the fact that the prior owner put a lowering kit on it taking away suspension travel to absorb the bumps, but even then, the stock seat and even the Saddleman I had for it, didn't really help either.  It was just painful and the idea of any sort of iron butt ride makes me want to throw up.  Even 10 mile quick rides were to the point that I didn't even want to ride it.  I'm not a fatty either. 
06 Breva 1100

Married, 3.5 kids, and very blessed.

Offline wheeling

• New Egg
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #2090 on: July 31, 2016, 03:20:27 AM »
Hello, I'm Lars from the Netherlands. Had a v50 monza in the past and after numerous bikes from Honda, Harley, Triupmh, Yamaha, KTM ended up at the brand from Mandello again. Own a '13 Stelvio NTX and a '83 Le Mans. Work as rotating equipment engineer for an IOC. Love it to ride one of the bikes but equally like it to spend time improving them. Via the forum I hope I can learn from - and share learnings with others.

bradtxag96

« Reply #2091 on: July 31, 2016, 01:21:35 PM »
Howdy,. My name is Brad.  I'll be 42 in one week.  I'm married with two sons.  I live outside of San Diego, California.

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 2004 Breva 750.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/5709409578.html

The seller seems a bit shady.  Only had the bike for one week and already selling.  No history.  Knows nothing about it.  It still looks like a great bike that's worth a little work to keep around.

It'll be my first motorcycle, let alone Moto Guzzi.

There is some corrosion on the fork pistons, so I'll probably replace those pretty quickly.

Look forward to learning from your collective wisdom.

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #2092 on: July 31, 2016, 06:53:01 PM »
Howdy,. My name is Brad.  I'll be 42 in one week.  I'm married with two sons.  I live outside of San Diego, California.

The seller seems a bit shady.  Only had the bike for one week and already selling.  No history.  Knows nothing about it.  It still looks like a great bike that's worth a little work to keep around.

There is some corrosion on the fork pistons, so I'll probably replace those pretty quickly.

"Danger, Will Robinson!"  In addition, to quote a friend of mine in the motorcycle business - "there are a lot of scumbags in the motorcycle community."  This may well be a legitimate deal, but hopefully others have already told you to check the serial numbers on the motor & frame carefully & to be suspicious if the quality of the serial no. stampings looks suspicious.  Don't forget to cross-check them against the title itself - I've forgotten that little detail a few times.  If there's something like Carfax for motorcycles, it might be worth paying the fee for a vehicle history check.  Ideally, if you have a LEO buddy/buddette, he/she can be persuaded to run the numbers for you.  This doesn't even get into the possible mechanical issues that the current owner "knows nothing" about - I'd walk away from the deal unless he'll let you take it to a local shop for at least a quick look - unless you're prepared to become a Guzzi mechanic if hidden issues pop up.

Just sayin'........
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2093 on: August 01, 2016, 07:42:16 AM »

Not sure that my input would qualify as "wisdom" on the subject, but I can tell you how I do it, and I have a 83% success rate with it.

All of my 6 Guzzis have been bought from guys I know, guys in the MGNOC club.   I just don't want to put up with the hassle of dealing with people I don't know and who might be out to get me.   

They've helped me get the bike to my house, gone over the issues (if any), and I've felt like I could always go back to them with any questions.   I will say that I bought one from who I believe was an honest, well-intentioned guy, a former MGNOC state representative, but who however had a warped idea about wiring a bike, and three of us spent a year getting it right.

With that as the exception, I'd recommend getting to know some of the guys here and maybe seeing who has what for sale.    But "vetting" a bike through the list is the next best way, so you'll probably do OK on your first one ....

Lannis

Offline changohot

• New Egg
    • http://www.diazandpartners.com/
« Reply #2094 on: August 01, 2016, 10:33:24 AM »
New 2015 V7 Special, from Boise, Id and Portland, Or.
Thanks,
Rod 

Offline mermoto

• New Egg
« Reply #2095 on: August 02, 2016, 07:25:13 AM »
Yo fellow Guzzi ists,

From sunny East Anglia, England and had my V7ii  year and half now after loads of other bikes.  Loving everything Guzzi and made a few mods to fit my needs.  Been a member of many forums over the years and looking forward to playing here too. :whip2:  Great site and members from what I have read so far.  :boozing:

Offline Auris

• New Egg
  • Neverending maintenance. Zen too...
« Reply #2096 on: August 02, 2016, 09:50:20 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am Auris. 33 years old. I am a software developer in Amsterdam. I got my Moto Guzzi v65 just 5 months ago but already did a road trip from The Netherlands to Spain (and around) (~2500 km) with my wife. In the short time I've owned a guzzi my motorcycle maintenance skills sky-rocketed (previously I owned Suzuki and Honda). I like playing guitar, piano and making music in general. Great to meet you all!

Moto Guzzi v65 (1985)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2097 on: August 02, 2016, 02:33:21 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am Auris. 33 years old. I am a software developer in Amsterdam. I got my Moto Guzzi v65 just 5 months ago but already did a road trip from The Netherlands to Spain (and around) (~2500 km) with my wife. In the short time I've owned a guzzi my motorcycle maintenance skills sky-rocketed (previously I owned Suzuki and Honda). I like playing guitar, piano and making music in general. Great to meet you all!

Looks like a great bike and you've given it a good test.   Hope the "skills acquisition" wasn't too painful ... that should really be a low-maintenance motorcycle.

Welcome!

Lannis

Offline Pisano

• Hatchling
« Reply #2098 on: August 04, 2016, 10:47:09 PM »
Hello Everyone,
My name is Norm and I'm 43 yrs old.  After a 15yr hiatus from riding I'm looking to get back into it.  My first and only bike was a Guzzi Cal II and I really appreciated the Guzzi people who cared and shared their knowledge of this beautiful machine.  I was lucky enough to have Daniel Kalal and Ron Garcia show me the ropes when I lived in Kansas starting out.
Even though I'm a fan of Flat track and MotoGp, I think my riding would be more laid back ,short trip tours with lots of camping.

Anyway, cheers for now .  Looking forward to hanging out here once and a while to help get me started up again and enjoy the community
Norm

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #2099 on: August 06, 2016, 05:14:22 AM »
Welcome Norm. You have certainly come to the right place for all things Guzzi. Since you left motorcycling the smallblock Guzzis have really come in to their own. Lots of nice bikes to choose from. :drool:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here