Author Topic: Mid-Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route  (Read 896 times)

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Mid-Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route
« on: April 08, 2022, 03:22:49 PM »
Planning a trip home to southern Pennsylvania mid-May to visit friends and fam, and I thought I’d do a portion of the Mid-Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route from the top of PA to home with the sidecar. For those who may not know, the Backcountry Discovery Routes are a series of unpaved routes in various regions of the US, most of them out west, set up by a non-profit org. The closest one to me, the Northeast BDR, is apparently one of the toughest to traverse (thanks to Vermont in large part), while the Mid-Atlantic is labeled as the easiest…

…but then I thought why just stop partway? After all, I’ll have off work for 17 days, and that’s more than enough days to grow tired of family (whom I dearly love). So, 1 day from NH to Tioga, PA, 9 days for the BDR all the way down to the southern terminus at Damascus, Virginia, near Johnson City, Tennessee, then back up via to visit loved ones, and onward home.

This will be the first big test of the V7 rig (and hopefully not the last) and should make for a nice sister trip alongside the Newfoundland and Labrador tour that I’ll be doing with a BMW pal this August, and which I’m also planning to do some significant unpaved sections. I’ll try to get some good YouTube vids and photos posted.

Here’s the MABDR’s link for anyone who wants to learn more:

https://ridebdr.com/mabdr/

« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 10:26:01 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
Re: Mid-Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 03:44:30 PM »
Myself and three buds are doing it in July, we’re going into the Carolinas first then running the BDR south to north I’m looking forward to it !!! Plenty of you tube videos if you want to check it out .
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 04:26:55 PM »
Myself and three buds are doing it in July, we’re going into the Carolinas first then running the BDR south to north I’m looking forward to it !!! Plenty of you tube videos if you want to check it out .

Yup, I’ve seen a few, but will probably stop at the ones I’ve already seen, and will focus instead on reading. Part of the reason I’ve been lagging behind sharing videos of my Turkey trip is that “you don’t need videos and posts to prove you had fun” mantra that my cynical side leans heavily on from time to time.

I’m excited to see how the sidecar outfit handles the parts where I’ve seen others struggle. I reckon my main issues will involve clearance, but maybe only in the expert sections, which I might avoid. Regardless, definitely bringing a hand winch, some rope, and a few Rotopax—currently only averaging 25 mpg  :cry:

Doing the PA BDR in two weeks. I live close to Michaux so if you are near there and need help a cold drink or place to dry off I’m at the corner of I-81 and PA route 997 Black Gap road.

Have a lift, tools and tire machine.

I’m glad you responded, because I certainly had you in mind! Would love to meet up!

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 04:49:55 PM »
We will be tent camping the entire trip,we are going to avoid the expert sections 2200 GS too heavy for that I’m not quite as agile as I used to be.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 04:49:55 PM »

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 04:52:14 PM »
Disregard the 2200 I mean 2006 GS

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 07:04:26 PM »
I too live right off the route, so if you need assistance or just want to meet up somewhere, give me shout.

I did a few sections on my V700 a while back (from Boonsboro, MD to Mount Holly Springs, PA) and had a good time. Hope to do more in the future, maybe on my Benelli 175 Enduro.
Charlie

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 08:04:08 PM »
You are riding right past the campground where the local Royal Enfield dealer in Pearisburg, Va is holding the Royal Road Rally, the weekend of June 10-12th. Eggleton Springs Campground on the New River.  My brother and I will be camped there beginning Thursday. Drop in if the timing is right.  I knew the local roads would be tasty, but had no idea there were ADV routes nearby. The Enfield Himalyan guys will be going nuts.  :grin: I imagine its too offroad for a Meteor? https://www.facebook.com/events/978045939775169/?acontext=%7B%22event_action_history%22%3A[%7B%22mechanism%22%3A%22group_featured_unit%22%2C%22surface%22%3A%22group%22%7D]%2C%22ref_notif_type%22%3Anull%7D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 12:48:29 PM by Shorty »
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline BoatDoc

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 02:38:38 AM »
Four of us (Stornello, V85, Triumph Scrambler & BMW X-Country) plan to do the MABDR June 20-26. Currently planning to camp unless the weather turns ugly. It will be the first "off pavement" multi-day trip for one of us and a bit of a reunion ride for the other three as we did the TAT in 2008. Really looking forward to it! We will be a bit time compressed, so I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on the value of the Antietam loop versus the bypass?

Offline hauto

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 06:20:13 AM »
A lot of info available on ADV rider about riding the MABDR. I rode the PA sections couple years ago. Fairly easy except for one rock garden road section.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2022, 06:58:36 AM »
Enjoy!  Post lots of photos! 

My retired  neighbor is an expert rider and did it on a DRZ400S.  Then went back and did an easier route with some lesser skilled friends on his T7.  He sent me a video clip of the deafening sound of cicadas. 

Maybe when I retire I'll try it on the Van Van. LOL!
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 09:44:08 AM »
Four of us (Stornello, V85, Triumph Scrambler & BMW X-Country) plan to do the MABDR June 20-26. Currently planning to camp unless the weather turns ugly. It will be the first "off pavement" multi-day trip for one of us and a bit of a reunion ride for the other three as we did the TAT in 2008. Really looking forward to it! We will be a bit time compressed, so I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on the value of the Antietam loop versus the bypass?

You better protect that Stornello! Curious if your friend’s Triumph is a Street Scrambler, or the 1200? I rode a 1200 last year at Touratech Dirt Daze in western NH, and it was my favorite test ride that I’ve done so far. If I got a bigger, taller, liquid-cooled bike, it would be that. That said, at the same rally, a rider wound up wrapping his 1200 Scrambler around a tree on one of the group rides… I’m pretty sure it was hanging upside down. At least he only received minor injuries, it was his own bike and not a test bike, and there was no plastic to replace.

Lodging is figured out—a mix of rustic camping and a few reservations at state parks. Miles figured out for each day. Extra tires at the ready—definitely bringing a spare rear.

I still have some things to check off before the trip. I’m on an extended weekend, and have a few extra days next weekend as well, so I’m looking to:
  • replace the significantly scrubbed sidecar tire,
  • tighten up my steering bearing for sidecar usage,
  • check / replace my brakes—pretty sure my pads and rear rotor are nearing their end,
  • do one more sidecar alignment (I have a lateral lean to level out, might adjust my toe-in slightly),
  • install my Rotopax, rear luggage rack, traction board onto the sidecar, and Harbor Freight Apache box onto the bike’s rear rack(using an EO(2) mount),
  • level up my fluids (my next service is in 2000 miles, figure I’ll hold off until I return, about 1,000 miles past service),
  • reinstall my sump guard,
  • figure out where to install the action camera…and learn how to confidently use them,
  • practice using the manual winch (Maasdam Rope Puller),
  • replace my old iPhone’s battery so I can use that one as the GPS unit, keeping my usual iPhone on my body.
I might also install a new handlebar with more sweep that I think should offer stronger steering, and have the appropriate cables to match, but I might just hold off until after this trip. I already have enough to get done before I leave on the 14th.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 09:59:36 AM by Dirk_S »

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2022, 08:32:44 PM »
Fluids replaced, top box, traction boards, and some much-needed auxiliary fuel canisters installed. Still have to replace my throttle cables and install a new USB port, but otherwise, ready to go. Leaving this Saturday, the rig’s inaugural trip, 3000 miles…Just wish I got more than 25 mpg  :cry:

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2022, 09:00:03 PM »
Good looking rig, be interested to hear your impressions on the MABDR, doing it in July with a couple buds.

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2022, 11:51:39 AM »
Well, it started out fun and challenging and beautiful and stuff, but then I smoked the clutch trying to get out of a stuck situation while climbing a rock garden in Poe Paddy State Park. The rig was impressing me, and it’s been almost as much a hoot as the Ural. After getting freed and out of the rock garden, I noticed some slipping at 4-5000 RPM sometimes, or just less power as usual. The rig’s alignment also got jacked due to the lower sidecar mounts being located under the sidecar frame. Bing bang, easy to bend on big rocks. I took the bike up to Kissell Motorsports in Tyrone, PA, and they helped me re-align the rig. I also changed out my tire and oil. Yesterday I rode down to my aunts house an hour east of Gettysburg to rest, recoup, and start back on the trail the next day (today). When I left, the lacking power concerned me enough to make me believe that even if I would be able to make it all the way down to Damascus VA, I may not be getting back up with the clutch as-is. Currently at a custom bike shop waiting to hear back from AF1 and Seacoast Sport Cycle to see if anyone can overnight a clutch kit. The custom bike guy is excited to work on it

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2022, 12:17:51 PM »
Where are you at? You sound fairly close. If you need a bike to get home let me know.

I know the rock garden well. There is a sign at the top saying something about being passable but no maintenance. Glad we were going down hill.

It was an amazing climb, and the come-along came in handy, ha.

I’m holed up in Dover right now. My local riding buddy is currently and conveniently in VA Beach and said he can stop by on his way back Saturday to pick me and the bike up.

Seacoast Sport Cycle got back to me and said they can send stuff out, but it’s directly from Guzzi. Estimating 7 days. It would be great if someone in the states happened to have a new clutch kit. I don’t think a used clutch would be a good idea with the sidecar attached.

I think I had experienced some clutch wear symptoms last year, can’t remember. Regardless, it’s understandable I suppose that the clutch would funky with this Ural-size sidecar attached. Might be a good idea for me to consider a V7 III or newer if I’m going to continue having a sidecar attached and want to make sure parts are available. Hindsight and foresight can wait though.

So far I’ve had a blast on these unpaved roads, stayed at a nudist club, almost rode over an adult rattlesnake, saw my first ruffed grouse, a Turkey vulture flew out in front of me within reach, chatted up with a bunch of Amish kids who were excited to hear about the rig. It’s been swell.

And Kissell Motorsports were all a great group of folks. I don’t think they have any seasoned Guzzi experts, but they carry a bunch of non-Japanese/Harley brands (Ural, Piaggio Co, BMW, etc), and lean to the dual sport and off-road niche. Really appreciated their help and patience.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 09:09:52 AM by Dirk_S »

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2022, 10:47:16 AM »
Replacement clutch is doing well and feels better than the old, but one of my observations still persists—I don’t think I’m getting all the power that I used to, especially noticeable when climbing a large hill at speed. Not sure completely. I may have to wait until I get back to NH and can use I-95 in Maine as my control environment for max speed with long inclines.

Also discovered that my driveshaft had a small crack in the U-joint and didn’t rotate freely on its axes. Just ordered a replacement, hoping to have it today so I can get it in before heading back for NH tomorrow or Sunday.

Also think I may have damaged that blasted neutral sensor when bolting the motor back together. Ordering a new one just in case I can’t get it to work when I return to NH.

Some pics and summaries from the abruptly ended trip:

Day 1: Stayed in Corning, NH at a nudist club—The owner grew up on the property and had a nudist neighbor who influenced him years later when he took over his dad’s property. The participants were mostly neighbors and local friends, with occasional travelers (like me) staying over. I’ve drawn and painted many a nude model, but this was the first time in the buff myself, and it gave me the body image / reset that I had expected.

Day 2: Noticed final drive oil sprayed on the rim, figured it was just residual leftover from when I changed the oil out just a day before I left for the trip. Drove through beautiful PA countryside. I’m a Pennsylvania, born and raised, so I’m biased, but boy do I love Pennsylvania’s farms, country roads, and those mountain ridges in the background. Got into Little Pines State Park and my tent set up just in time for a severe thunderstorm that lasted quite a while. I’ve camped in heavy downpours before, but this was the first time I ever camped out in a thunderstorm, and I was quite concerned about those not-so-little pines towering all around me. Thunderstorm finally cleared, allowing me to stroll down to the showers to bathe in the dark, because power outage, of course.

Day 3: After a detour around roads that had power lines and trees down from the previous night’s storms, the forest roads entered the picture. I got my first true taste of what a sidecar is like on tight, winding, heavily crowned, unpaved roads, many with significant drop offs on one side. Thankfully most roads were without potholes, but how the sidecar can rock back and forth, sometimes in your favor in turns, sometimes opposite. It’s absolutely thrilling. Stayed in my first-ever Adirondack shack at Poe Paddy State Park, completely furnished with an active tufted titmouse nest. Thankfully the parents-to-be were brave enough to sit on the eggs while I slept. Found some leftover wood at an empty shack nearby, and was gifted some expired bratwursts by some fellow campers, and I made the most of it. Accidentally sacrificed one into the fire, but the forest gods treated me well and kept the bears away from that night.

Day 4: Set off and immediately hit a challenging rock garden trail climbing up a small mountain. The path upward had to be carefully planned—ride on the inside —whoop, big rocks and ruts, time to go to the outside, and back and forth. A few dings and bumps, but the V7 had enough clearance and pulled fairly well!…until I picked an unfortunate spot to cross over to the inside until BANG, and the rig got hung up, both rear and sidecar wheel stuck. Tried to roll back and forth—no dice. Tried to stack rocks and branches—no dice. And then I noticed the clutch slipping and smoking a LOT.  Time to pull out the come-along. Thank goodness it had ‘come along’ for the ride—I was alone, and that thing was the tool of the day. Once freed, some more climbing and dings and bumps until I reached the top. From there, I treated the tiny heavily cambered roads like I was their boss and zipped along without care, using my body more than ever to counter-balance the lateral teeter-totter of the rig as I sped through the woods. Then I was emptied out into central PA’s Amish country.

My stinkin’ goodness. I’m used to seeing Amish country in south-eastern PA, and thought that was pretty. Central PA Amish country is downright picturesque. Farm after farm after farm, small roads squeezed between and the mountain ridge in the background. I’m almost ashamed that my helmet cam’s battery was dead all day and I failed to capture any of it. Must-see, really.

Stopped at a small grocery store for some chapstick, I held the door for a bunch of Anabaptist kiddos walking out with ice cream cones, and it was just too tempting. So I got one myself, walked back out and chatted with them. They liked the rig and asked questions. I tried to liken the experience of the cambered roads to what it must feel like riding in a horse and buggy, until they pointed out the cars that they arrived in. Bid them ado and was on my way.

The concerning burnt clutch, janked alignment, and newly found lack of power caused by the rock garden gave me some concern, so I reversed course and headed northwest for Kissell Motorsports, the only Guzzi dealer in the area, just above Altoona. Got into town, paid them a visit, and set up to come by in the morning. Stayed in a cheap motel 10 mins away.

Day 5: Alignment adjustment, and they gave me the space to do my own oil and tire replacement. Very good folks, all patient and helpful. Helped that they’ve been a Ural dealer for several years. We didn’t address the clutch or power loss. I thought I might be able to get by. Headed out to catch back up to where I should be staying that night, in Fairfield near Gettysburg. Since I’m from that area and have lots of family there, I decided to stay at my aunt’s instead of getting to camp late.

Day 6: Left my aunt’s house to go hop back onto the trail, and just wasn’t happy about the 10% power loss I was experiencing, so I booked it back to her house to gather my bearings and plan the next step. Along the way I noticed a bunch of bikes sitting outside an old mill I had driven many, many times in my years living there, and stopped by. Although he told me he doesn’t usually fix other people’s bikes, once I showed him the Guzzi, he offered to help if I can get the parts.

Spent the next few hours search the webs and calling around. One store had these parts. another shop had these parts. Clutches on eBay were too worn for a sidecar rig. SmithSwede, Pete Roper, Ed at AF1, MG Cycle, and Enzo at Cadre were all helpful in making sure I sourced the parts I’d need. Got the clutch pushrod kit from AF1, an entire clutch from Cadre that had only 200 miles on it, and an oil seal and exhaust gaskets from MG Cycle.

SS and Roper helped me through the steps and nuances, but the custom bike builder also had automotive repair experience—once we cracked it open, he was familiar with everything as expected. Got the clutch in, everything bolted back up… it was a long day, but I’m sure next time will go by a little quicker. Got the bike back together, and since driving it around, it certainly feels better, although I still think I may have some power loss. It rained a lot, I wonder if some sensors may have gotten wet/ damaged. I have also had hiccups when my Throttle Control is ON, been like that ever since I put on the over-sized 4.00-18 tire. I know I need to recalibrate the TC, but having a little difficulty getting it to actually reset. I try to keep the bike going at 30 kmh for 8 seconds, but it the TC lights don’t flash quickly like they’re supposed to.

Also, in the clutch replacement process, we found that my driveshaft’s u-joint has a small crack and isn’t moving freely. Ordered a gently used driveshaft from Mark at Moto Guzzi Classics that should hopefully arrive today or tomorrow. That I can work on myself.

Currently hanging out at my aunt’s house, having had a good bit of extra time to visit friends and family, work on the bike, and plan next steps.

Just posted the sidecar for sale. I really love its versatility, but there are a few mods that I’d want to do, and at the moment I don’t have the funds to do them in time for my Newfoundland and Labrador trip. I’m planning to get a Sputnik sidecar—a little lighter, decent ground clearance, and I can still mount my racks and fuel packs.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 10:48:39 AM by Dirk_S »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here