General Category > General Discussion

Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !

<< < (702/724) > >>

guzzisteve:

--- Quote from: Mondo on May 30, 2023, 06:41:34 PM ---Greg Kane (Mondo) here. Old retired fart currently on an FJ-09 with many years on ST1300’s. I am about to pull the trigger on a V85 TT for numerous reasons and found this group to assist with any questions, farkles, etc.

Greg

--- End quote ---
Ha, Ha, I grew up in St. Charles . Hot Rod cars running from the police. Back & forth from Rex's to McDonalds.

Ted Bell:
Hello.  Ted here.  I'm a 54 year old District Attorney in western North Carolina.  I'm what I believe is referred to as a returning rider.  Had dirt bikes growing up, then a 250 Kawasaki Ninja when I was 19 which was traded in on a '89 or so 750 Ninja after about a year.  Rode that for a while but sold it when I was sent to Korea in the Army.  never got another bike and was out of motorcycling for many, many years until I became friends a handfull of years ago a guy who was hardcore into bikes and raced.  Looking back on it, I'm amazed I survived those Ninja years- no protective gear except a helmet - shorts, t-shirts, and sneakers.  A year or so ago I bought his '81 Yamaha XS 650 (which my wife was not that supportive of).  He and I rebuilt it and modded into a cafe racer.  Many hours of wrenching, kick start only, rear sets, and clip ons.  Funny how my re-entry bike is about 20 years older than my last bike all those years ago.  I have discovered that I still enjoy curvy roads, but at mild speeds.  However, while my XS looks awesome and is fun in curves, it's not that good for for straight roads - the riding position gets painful after a few miles.  I keep my eye out for something that would be a better fit for my current riding desires: pokey, relaxing, and comfortable.  New doesn't appeal to me - I find myself gravitating to older, dare we say antique or classic, bikes, and I find working on them just as enjoyable as riding.  I saw a '72 Ambassador 750 on Bring a Trailer a couple of weeks ago (sold on 5/21) that was exactly what I was looking for.  I loved the style, and the look of that particular bike (down to the brown leather seat), and while I've never sat on one, the ridiing position looked like exactly the thing I was wanting.  Plus, I loved the 'antiqueness' of the thing. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-moto-guzzi-ambassador-4/

However, the wife was not at all in favor of buying another bike ( i.e. she was dead set against it) so I missed out.  And ever since then I have deeply regretted not buying it.  I'm pretty sure my regret is lasting longer than my wife's anger would have, so I have been kicking myself big time for not going ahead on it.  But, it did convince me that an older Moto Guzzi is what I'm wanting, so I figured I would lurk on here for the time being, and maybe, just maybe, I will eventually find a similar bike available or, ideally, that bike being re-sold.  So, here I am.

Thanks,
Ted

jumpmaster:

--- Quote from: Ted Bell on June 04, 2023, 05:01:52 PM ---I saw a '72 Ambassador 750 on Bring a Trailer a couple of weeks ago (sold on 5/21) that was exactly what I was looking for.  I loved the style, and the look of that particular bike (down to the brown leather seat), and while I've never sat on one, the ridiing position looked like exactly the thing I was wanting.  Plus, I loved the 'antiqueness' of the thing. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-moto-guzzi-ambassador-4/

However, the wife was not at all in favor of buying another bike ( i.e. she was dead set against it) so I missed out.  And ever since then I have deeply regretted not buying it.  I'm pretty sure my regret is lasting longer than my wife's anger would have, so I have been kicking myself big time for not going ahead on it.  But, it did convince me that an older Moto Guzzi is what I'm wanting, so I figured I would lurk on here for the time being, and maybe, just maybe, I will eventually find a similar bike available or, ideally, that bike being re-sold.  So, here I am.
--- End quote ---

I think that you can consider yourself lucky that you "missed out" on the BaT Ambassador.  Most of the items on BaT are bid considerably above what you can find elsewhere in the same or better condition if you keep looking.  Ambassadors or Eldorado 850s aren't rare and there are many around that are in good condition and won't need any more work to get them fully sorted out than some of the "fully restored" bikes sold on BaT.  I'd recommend finding out who the local old Guzzi "gurus" are within a reasonable distance from where you live & just call or email them to let them know you're in the market and see if they know of any good ones for sale.  Apparently, a good percentage of the ones for sale change hands by word-of-mouth rather than public listings.

Ted Bell:

--- Quote from: jumpmaster on June 04, 2023, 10:26:04 PM ---I think that you can consider yourself lucky that you "missed out" on the BaT Ambassador.  Most of the items on BaT are bid considerably above what you can find elsewhere in the same or better condition if you keep looking.  Ambassadors or Eldorado 850s aren't rare and there are many around that are in good condition and won't need any more work to get them fully sorted out than some of the "fully restored" bikes sold on BaT.  I'd recommend finding out who the local old Guzzi "gurus" are within a reasonable distance from where you live & just call or email them to let them know you're in the market and see if they know of any good ones for sale.  Apparently, a good percentage of the ones for sale change hands by word-of-mouth rather than public listings.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for the info.  I hadn't thought about looking for local Guzzi owners - excellent idea.  Thank you!

Thanks,
Ted

GmaninAZ:
GmaninAZ
71 yr/young this July, retired, first Guzzi, but many other bikes. Been riding since about 14 yr/young.

2023 V100S Verde with 300 miles now, and a coolant leak. I have a short video of where mine is leaking from; it is at the large lower (I believe) hose connected to an aluminum tube with a smaller tube branching off and behind it. How do I find the posts here on this issue, and share my video  please? I love the bike but this looks like the clamp is not tight enough, and is very dissapointing.
I also have a neutral safety switch issue. When I shut the bike off after a ride it is in neutral. When I come back to re-start, or after sitting overnight upon turning the key to ignition, the gear indicator will show 2 gear and will not start, even though it is in neutral I have to engage first gear and roll the bike either forward or backward and hear a slight click and N will show in the dash enabeling  a start.

Thank you Gary

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version