Author Topic: V7 centerstand too tall, hard to use  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 centerstand too tall, hard to use
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2020, 02:56:07 PM »
I used to hire two girls for bike shows to demonstrate putting an EV on it's center stand. One of the girls weighed 110lbs the other 105lbs. I loved watching them teach the technique to 200lbs guys who had repeatedly tried and failed. It is all about weight transfer and leverage.

Brian

:grin: :grin: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2020, 03:57:46 PM »
I find that both my V7's are pretty easy to get onto the centrestand, in fact when I first got the V7C, I found it was easier to do so than any other bike I had known. My shocks, however, are standard length. Once I have checked that both feet of the stand are equally touching the ground, a bit of weight on the lever arm, and a bit of a lift on the luggage rack, and up it goes. It takes only a little more effort when loaded for trips, but mostly it seems to be the balance that is more crucial.

However, the original centrestand on the V7C developed a bend on the left hand side - such that the lever arm rested on the ground, with the right hand foot, leaving the left hand foot suspended in the air. It was more difficult to get on the stand, and once on, the bike was no longer level either. I lucked out on one of my trips - it was getting harder to use, especially with luggage, when at the Adelaide dealer I asked & found a bare stand only, likely from a Breva, and whipped that on. No problems since. Side by side on the workshop floor, the deformation was obvious.

The moral of this experience - the stands are not as rigid as we'd like to think. They can deform and this will affect their "ease of use". It is also likely that if any other part of the mechanism is deformed or not reasonably well aligned, it will affect smooth operation as well. And this is before you even get into the changes brought on by different length shocks.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2020, 03:20:01 PM »
OK, so I am a certifiable 72 y.o. wimp. My buddy has a V7III with Hepco-Becker centerstand and stock suspension. He can put it on the CS, I cannot. It was difficult for him the first time but the second time he tried it was harder and he strained himself. On the stand his rear wheel was about 34mm off the ground, same as mine. Bottom line: the HB stand is too tall.
I will shorten my stand, and probably his too, and will post results with photos.

Dan
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2020, 04:36:17 PM »
Well, I'm merely a 73 year old wimp, and getting more so year by year. One of my nieces even worries about me fitting in my nana naps when on tour. The centrestand is SUPPOSED to be EASY to use. If it's hard to use, then something is wrong somewhere. I trust you'll get it sorted. Somewhere, I've one of those hooked leg stands from an older smallblock. I'll have to see if it can fit.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2020, 04:36:17 PM »

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2020, 05:19:08 AM »
Mu Stucchi stand was a real bear.  Probably made worse because I've reduced the height of my bike, and the stand was orig. made too tall so it would clear the sidestand when both were folded up.

As I posted below, I shortened my stand, and now it's a dream.  Should have done it years ago.

Go ahead and do it.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2020, 01:14:12 PM »
I don't have on on my V7 III but so I can't test this trick a friend used on a big Honda - get a 4 or 5" piece of pipe that will fit over the stand lever. The extra length may give you some added leverage to make things easier.

Either that or as others have recommended, carry a ramped piece of 2x4 to roll the rear tire on before using the stand.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline organfixsing

• Hatchling
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2021, 01:19:47 AM »
I purchased a second-hand H&B centrestand for a V7II.
 I think it was from a wrecked bike.
When I finally fitted it to the bike. (A bitch of a job with no instructions.) I found that I could not get the bike on the centrestand (being of light build and 76 years.)
Research on this site uncovered the platform that OhioRider made. I have made a similar idea and the picture is attached.
The dimensions shown are only approximate and could be altered to suit yourself.
Cheers
Brian   :cheesy:

If you remove the wings of a fly, does that make it a walk?

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2021, 09:51:01 AM »
I use a similar ramp. Mine is made from a 2x4 (which measures 1.5" x 3.5", go figure). The ramp is about 1 in 3. I was backing the bike on the ramp until I decided to add the stop. I now roll the bike forward and it seems to be easier.

If you decide to shorten the centerstand be aware that it is 2/3 of the wheelbase from the front axle, not half that some persons have assumed.  On the centerstand my rear wheel is 1-1/2" off the ground.   If I shorten the CS 1/2" the wheel would be 3/4" off. I am considering removing 3/4" which would leave the wheel 3/8" off the ground.

Dan
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2021, 04:21:17 PM »
59 year old wimp here, and the HB centerstand is a bear.  I roll the back tire on to a board too, but I don't even try if I have a full tank of gas. 

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Online Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2021, 12:54:59 AM »
I always use the center stand if the bike has one. Both of my Interceptors, my Katana, my CBX, and my 750 LTD all ended up on their sides because some asshole sat on them, picked them off the side stand, and fell over because the forks were locked. Since I started using only the center stand, none of my bikes has ended up on its side. I like it that way.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here