Author Topic: Long live the manual!  (Read 3400 times)

Offline Cdn850T5NT

• Cdn850T5NT
  • Gaggle Mentor
Re: Long live the manual!
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2021, 04:56:51 PM »
That is one thing I really loved about my 1990 Ford F-150 Lariat long bed regular cab V8 with 5 speed manual.  It was all blacked out with limo tint and I would watch the headlights behind me disappear as I shifted from 1st to 2nd, yet not a soul dared hit their horn.  LOL! 

Sold it in 2000 due to growing family.  Every truck after that was automatic and felt more like a full size SUV than a truck.
It would be nice if my Mazda6 were that intimidating... but no, not so much.  Good on you, though, with your positive experiences with a manual.  Incidentally, if I am on even a slight down gradient, I will usually start in 2nd gear to avert this clobbered from behind scenario.  I will start-off, barely a crack above idle, and of course I will still be letting the clutch out, for a greater linear distance (and accelerating, therefore, slower than surrounding traffic... but with no interruptions in my acceleration rate - and therefore predictable for the guy behind), for a considerably longer distance than if I were starting in first-gear...  but the way I baby it, I really do not expect an appreciable amount more of clutch wear.  A bit, not a lot.  And then I totally can end up going quite a distance before I actually shift into 4th gear...  Funny, the ratios in my Mazda6 are pretty short-ratio... and I often can go from 1st to 3rd to 5th, then sometimes 6th... or 2nd, 4th, 6th.

That's another thing... having too, too close a ratio manual gearbox is a bit of PITA.  Yeah, high performance and all, but it is really "luxurious" by way of a drive-feeling for me, to have a reasonably tall first gear, and then to get appreciable "distance" out of each subsequent gear.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:39:19 PM by Cdn850T5NT »
1985 Eurospec 850 T5 NT (Nuovo Tipo - New Type... i.e. Series III)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here