Author Topic: Zip-tie tire mount-- It really works!  (Read 640 times)

Offline Burkslaw

• Hatchling
Zip-tie tire mount-- It really works!
« on: June 25, 2022, 08:18:18 PM »
Mounted a new rear Battleax on my '02 Stone today using the zip-tie method I've seen on Youtube. It was MUCH easier to get on than I expected. I think the more zip-ties used the easier it may be. Only took me 2 or 3 small bites with tire irons to get it on after pushing it 3/4 of the way onto the rim. 

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Zip-tie tire mount-- It really works!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 08:50:54 PM »
Depends on the tire & rim. I've had an impossible experience a couple of times.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 10:40:04 PM »
Thanks for passing this suggestion along.  I still change tires by hand with the little 6" tire levers I used in the 1950s and a heavy rubber hammer and, yes, I use very profane language when doing it.

I also try to do my tire changes on really hot, Texas summer afternoons, after the tire has sat in the sun for a few hours and is more flexible.  A heat gun will do the job, but I feel it's safer for the tire to use the sun's heat.  A little Windex spray on the tire bead facilitates mounting, too.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 07:27:36 AM »
Depends on the tire & rim. I've had an impossible experience a couple of times.

I tend to agree.  Installing a new Battlax BT46 on my '87 LMIV rear was far easier than installing a Michelin Anakee Adventure on my '12 Wee Strom.  However, if ty-raps work for some of you, awesome!

FWIW, a few years ago got nomar & Mojolever tire bar and it is working for me so far (I had no success with nomar's tire bar).  However, I have used a powered changer in the past and think they're far superior but no longer have access to one.  On the other hand, shortly after I bought the nomar, a motorcycle repair shop opened up in the neighborhood.  If I had a clue that a repair shop would open close by I don't think I would have invested in a home set-up.
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 07:27:36 AM »

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 10:55:00 AM »
Thanks for passing this suggestion along.  I still change tires by hand with the little 6" tire levers I used in the 1950s and a heavy rubber hammer and, yes, I use very profane language when doing it.

I also try to do my tire changes on really hot, Texas summer afternoons, after the tire has sat in the sun for a few hours and is more flexible.  A heat gun will do the job, but I feel it's safer for the tire to use the sun's heat.  A little Windex spray on the tire bead facilitates mounting, too.

Ralph

I used to change tires on the ground with my stubby tire irons from the 70's.  Figured I have done it so many times I was doing the best I could. Then I picked up some new, longer tire irons and a Harbor Freight tire changing stand. WOW. What a difference. Not having to bend over so much makes it much easier on my now old back. Using Bead Buddies helps even more. Made me wonder why I waited so long.  :grin:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here